[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721903370849209m.jpg (122 KB, 1024x922)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Will i like Marathon if i like Blood, Duke Nukem and the first episode of Doom?
>>
>>11112312
A big "maybe" because even back then the OG bungie devs that worked on marathon were big on multiplayer and people who played both Doom and Marathon prefer Doom. Even though I myself liked it I had more fun playing match games when I had the chance.

The fan port you can get makes the mapping requirements on the Phor ship a lot less of a problem but I always felt the game dragged on even though I actually was paying attention to the story. Phor ship reveal was still pretty good though and it matched the hype in story. Then for two there was some really confusing things that only makes sense if you didn't skip anything and has some repetitive maps. Infinity is a fucking drug trip, good fucking luck with that one. If you played Halo you actually heard the music before so it is guaranteed to be good even if it is the much more melancholic original.
Except that the second and third games do not have a soundtrack only title music.

Leela and Swirls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSKFROqB6iY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1PgVanAdwE
>>
Marathon has worse gameplay than Doom, Duke and Blood but its atmosphere and storytelling can be very compelling. I don't think there was another FPS at the time which had a story as complex as the Marathon trilogy. There's System Shock of course but that's not really thought of being in the same camp as Doom, Shadow Warrior etc because of its RPG elements. Bungie have always been great with story and I'd say Halo also had a better plot and cutscenes than any other shooter that released before it in 2001. Perfect Dark was clearly aiming for a compelling plot but the end result was a mess.

Marathon's lore and main story is fucking autistic, but that sort of thing appeals to a lot of people.

They can be incredibly frustrating games and I think that key hunting, switch flipping FPS design from the 90s is something that's best left in the pass. Some games do it very well (E1 of Doom) then other games are a fucking nightmare, like Marathon Infinity. Half the time is spent just zooming around looking for a secret door or something instead of actually shooting things. Was never fond of it.
>>
>>11112312
No, the only thing they have in common is being first person games with guns. Marathon is a narrative driven slog with awkward gunplay.
>>
You might like 2 and Infinity, but the original is kind of a mess.
>>
>>11112312
Marathon has a really fun engine that includes rudimentary physics so you can grenade/rocket jump, your fists inflict damage based on momentum, and explosions will send enemies flying back before they rupture into goo. The weapons are all fun and useful and they compliment the engine well. That said, Marathon includes some bad level designs, especially in the first game, and it feels a lot more cramped than contemporary shooters. Personally, I still prefer Marathon's gameplay over Doom's, but a lot of people like Marathon mostly for the setting and story.

>>11112392
>If you played Halo you actually heard the music before
I hear this a lot but I don't think Halo's music is based on Marathon at all. Marty O'dpnnell also says this. Example: some think that Pursuit of Truth from Halo 2 is based on Leela, but it's actually based on a jingle from 1984. You can find it on a demo tape on Marty's bandcamp.
>>
>>11112732
It generally doesn't matter if Marty and Salavatori never heard of Marathon before because the composer is Alex Seropian himself. So by working together with him eventually the composition would eventually match to what he had in mind with Marathon originally before technical limitations kicked in.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.