[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 32980329832.jpg (328 KB, 2017x1156)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
Do you think you would be able to tell the difference in a blind gameplay test?
How about with other consoles in the same test?
>>
After careful scrutiny I would declare the one with the slightly worse image and sound quality to be the original SNES. Even the best RGB mod won't have the same quality as the RGB from a PC or FPGA.
It would be impossible for a person to tell the difference between the PC and Mister setup for this particular console.
If it was a CPS1 arcade game you'd be able to tell the difference in slowdown speed between the three when there was a lot of action going on.
If it was an N64 I think it would pretty blatantly obvious which one was which.
>>
File: 1721412466631786.png (365 KB, 1065x580)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>>11115465
FGPA Everdrive>Steam Deck>>Aya Neo pro>Aya Neo Pocket Air>>Aya Neo Air>Recalbox>Ayn Odin 2>>Ayn Loki Max>>Asus ROG Ally>Retroid Pocket 4 Pro>Anbernic Win600>Retroid Pocket 4>>Retroid Pocket 3/3+>>Ayn Loki Max>Anbernic RG552>Odroid>>Ayn Loki>Homebrewed and CFW-injected PS Vita>>>Raspberry Pi>>Powkiddy A13>>>Powkiddy X18s>>KTR1>Aya Neo regular>Caanoo>RP2S>>>Anbernic RG505>Miyoo Mini Flip>>Powkiddy A12>>Ayn Odin>Powkiddy X28>Trimui Smart Pro>Anbernic RG35XX PLUS>>Anbernic RG 552>Miyoo Mini +>Powkiddy RK2023>Anbernic Arc D>Anbernic 353ps>>Anbernic 351p>>Retroid Pocket 2/2+>>>Anbernic ARC S>>Powkiddy RGB 10 MAX>>Anbernic RG 405V>>Hacked and CFW injected 3DS>Powkiddy RGB30>>Miyoo Mini>>CFW-injected PSP>>>Trimui Smart Model S>Game Park 32>Anbernic 405M>Minisforum>Anbernic RG35XX>>Revo k101>>Dingoo 330>>Powkiddy RGB 20S>>MARS>Powkiddy RGB 10 Max>>Dingoo 320>>>BittBoy>>Pocket Boy/Game Console R36S>Pocket Boy R33S>Anbernic 353v>Powkiddy q90>>Analouge Pocket>>Retroid Pocket 1>>Powkiddy v90>>Data Frog SF2000>Powkiddy q80>Gamebox SP>>>Powkiddy q20>>Evercade>Coolboy rs-97+>>Pirate multicart>Powkiddy v90>>Pocket Boy R35S>RG300X>MiSTER>>Dingoo 380>>Retroid Flip>Playdate>PolyMega>Powkiddy a66>>Coolboy rs-97
>>
File: IMG_0933.jpg (1.13 MB, 1125x1516)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>11115465
mister & og hardware basically identical unless you bring the os menu up on accident (mapping to another controller or unmapping menu prevents this)
>shitty toaster pc
can be dialed in with some effort and gpu knowledge/gearhead worldview+runahead

just play how you want
i prefer the real system so i dont have to fuck around i just want to play not fiddle with faggy stuff
>>
>>11115570
mister is only strong for certain arcade boards & systems older than n64 although recent work has been ongoing and doing quite well
>>
>>11115465
I'll admit, I'm pretty bad when it comes to this. To the point where I will willingly pay for a cheapo handheld that can barely run them and be satisfied.
>>
Depends on what game. There's yet to be a perfect SNES emator as far as I know, in the sense that there's still prototypes being dumped which work on original consoles but don't in emulators. I'm not sure if they've been fixed, but there was a Rockman X2 prototype dumped a few years back which didn't run properly in any emulator.
>>
>>11115465
I can't tell difference between games on my sfc vs games on my mister. That said, I'd be comfortable packing away every console I have except my ps2 and just keeping that and the mister hooked up.
>>
>>11115570
>>shitty toaster pc
Assume the PC is more than capable of running the emulator to its highest possible performance.
>>
>>11115465
>NES
>SNES
>Master System
>Genesis
>Neo Geo
>CPS2

All placebo tier. No one could tell the difference if a random selection of games was presented to them. You'd have to request very specific games and situations.
>>
>>11115632
>I'm not sure if they've been fixed
When it comes to SNES there's an army of autists working on getting everything working asap.
>>
>paying $400+ for an emulator for no reason other than "LE ACCURACY"
genuine mental illness
>>
>>11115698
Not part of this discussion.
>>
>>11115698
I paid $0 for an emulator because I use my PC for more than just emulation.
>>
>>11115465
is Mister currently capable of emulating Genesis's composite video hardware?
>>
>>11115709
they're talking about Mister

verysmart reddit kids read about how FPGA *could* work and then assume every Mister core is programmed to match the original hardware's bare circuitry rather than most of them being reverse-engineered approximations of functionality, same as software emulators
>>
>>11115465
Good look persuading the computer to output the exact SNES video timings.
>>
Depending on the graphic setup the pc is often easy to identify. Never seen a mister in person but fp is almost certainly right there. Even then I probably wouldn't care as long as it's barely noticeable.

>>11115539
Which model(s) of raspberry pi with which os?Sorry you may have to revise that.
>>
>>11115770
>Depending on the graphic setup
The image says "optimum emulation set-up" and "native resolution RGB".
>>
>>11115768
I don't need luck because I simply know how to do it. I don't need to "persuade" the computer to do anything.
>>
>>11115758
>Genesis's composite video hardware
This would encompass several different revisions of the console.
Mister can output RGB which you can run through any composite video encoder of your choice.
>>
>>11115758
Both Genesis cores have a composite blur filter. So does the Sega CD core.
>>
I really hate all you faggots that post

>>11115770
with this style. you have to leave.
>>
>>11115465
Yeah I was able to tell the difference with my ears back in 2002 when I played Streets of Rage 2 on Gens and realized Under Logic sounded like SHIT compared to the original console.
>>
>>11115709
tbf you spent:
(cost of the pc) * percent of time used for emulation
>>
>>11115465
>Could I tell the difference in a blind test?
Yeah by the controller retard
>>
>>11115668
now you have issues with crt your gpu needs vga
>>
>>11115758
kinda
if you use a composite external adapter
you get your rainbow waterfalls
>>
File: genesis.png (219 KB, 1373x944)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>11115941
>Both Genesis cores have a composite blur filter. So does the Sega CD core.

I find that when using Retroarch the 'NTSC 320px-composite" seems to work well to emulate the look of a composite NTSC TV. Or maybe one of the other NTSC settings. NES and SNES look better with the 256px NTSC settings. I don;t know what options Mister has.
>>
>>11115465
the way most software emulators render background and sprite would be a dead giveaway if the person in the blind test knew the game very well. otherwise, under the perfect conditions, they should all look identical. everyone has different thresholds for input delay, particularly if they also get tested for games they know very well. again, software emulators have input delay and if you wanna reduce it using run-ahead, you'd be exposing the fact that it's software emulator as visible frame-by-frame anomalies would be apparent. if we're only allowed to judge it from a superficial standpoint where the test requires you to look at a still frame. now that would be a difficult blind test to pass.
>>
>>11115780
>optimum set up
Which means something different to every one that reads it. Are you 5?? It's difficult to emulate snes's unbuffered interlaced output exactly and, as fp pointed out, the fuzziness of the real thing is not going to feature in even something like a retrorgb card.

>>11115948
And I hate whining faggots with severe mental deficiencies. There, we're even.
>>
*quasi non interlaced
>>
>>11115465
Most of your answers here OP https://www.retrorgb.com/snes-video-output-explained.html
>>
>>11116437
dimwit
>>
>>11115941
I've never seen any composite blur shader that could be mistaken for the real thing. They do a fine job of approximating it but I could easily discern the two side by side.
>>
>>11116129
Dumbass who can't read the image and see that the same controller is used for all three set-ups.
>>11116478
Dumbass who can't understand that the question isn't really about a comparison of video quality.
>>
>>11116302
>if you wanna reduce it using run-ahead, you'd be exposing the fact that it's software emulator as visible frame-by-frame anomalies would be apparent.
That only happens if you are using an incorrect (too high) runahead setting. The image specifically says "optimum emulation set-up" directly implying that is not the case.
>>
>>11116182
Then use a GPU that has a VGA output. This is not an "issue". The image already heavily implies this has been solved for that set-up.
>>
>>11116302
>the way most software emulators render background and sprite would be a dead giveaway if the person in the blind test knew the game very well.
For SNES I doubt even Super Metroid speedrunners would be able to tell the difference in that game. They are seeing the game in real time not 10000% slowdown to count the order that onscreen elements appear in frame by frame. If there would even be a difference, which I doubt for this console.
>>
>>11116649
It wouldn't matter if you used a GPU with an onboard DAC or an external one. They do the exact same thing. So any random modern GPU that can be paired with CRT Emu Driver (AMD cards) or do 240p on its own (Nvidia Quadro) will work with an external HDMI/DisplayPort to RGB converter. If you buy the right converter (aka "optimum emulation set-up") there will be no additional lag.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.