[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>bananas: give extra lives
>banana bunches: give extra lives
>KONG tokens: give extra lives
>balloons: give extra lives
>animal mini games: give extra lives
DKC is a good game but the fact that literally every collectible awards you the same fucking thing is gay and retarded
>>
the journey is the reward my friend. i prefer this to gacha games
>>
>>11115915
>lives
They're called MEN
>>
>>11115918
it would've been cool if the journey granted something other than gorilla head balloons that allow you to persist in gorilla world for longer
>>
>>11115921
i would give anything to live in gorilla world with the kongs you ungrateful swine
>>
>>11115915
The mini games are excessive I agree but they can be skipped. Everything else is standard platformer fair, it's the same in Mario, Sonic, and other games
>>
>>11115925
i never said gorilla world wasn't based, I would smoke fat dabs with DK and Diddy any day, but why add in all of these superfluous collectibles when the same thing could've been accomplished with a single collectible?
>because a single collectible isn't as cool as more than one
then they should have given me more than one thing
>>
>>11115928
no it isn't. in sonic or mario, you get items that give lives, yes, but also powerups that alter your abilities. meanwhile every item in DKC is just some smidgen of the same item and the only powerups are barrels that are completely unnecessary if you got gud and animals that you use to break open secret areas to get more smidgens.
>>
>>11115920
Strike anon's ridiculous claim that lives are called "men" from council records. As if greater ape society would equate the act of living with that of a savage beast.
>>
>>11115915
I guess they realized this for DKC2 and made the collectibles give you better rewards.
Because I largely agree, the bonus games in the first one are pretty underwhelming. Some are hard to find, the rewards are extra lives which you probably don't need, and the bonus for finding all of them doesn't even give you a meaningful bonus. If they even gave you a single extra level for getting all the bonus rooms would've made it ten times better.
>>
>>11115915
>>11115918
maybe the real extra lives were the friends we made along the way
>>
>>11115918
>i prefer this to gacha games
well that's a fucking low bar
>>
>>11115918
Same, I also prefer it to stick and hoop.
>>
>balloon counter goes up
>monkey gets happy
>If monkey is happy, I'm happy

I fail to see the problem, this is pretty much a perfect world
>>
>>11115915
please turn on crt/composite shaders
>>
>Game gives you tons of extra lives but you also probably are gonna lose a lot of them while playing it
Sounds fair to me.
>>
>>11115970
i can't argue with this...
>>
>>11115970
i want the ape happy but the monkey unhappy
>>
File: 0062.png (73 KB, 284x213)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
If you do not get this amazing new generation of Donkey Kong madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know, that's insulting, but it's also the truth.
>>
lives are good
>>
You need all those extra lives because the secrets are also gay and retarded AND cheap. Some of them you can only discover by jumping down a pit losing a life in the process. That's what bothers me about DKC, the secrets are cheap as fuck, especially that one where it's a bonus room hidden inside a bonus room.

DKC2 and DKC3 had fair secrets, not cheap shit like DKC1.
>>
>>11115921
>it would've been cool if the journey granted something other than gorilla
Then you're not seeing the journey as the reward, just the end goal.
>>
>>11116085
>that bonus inside a bonus
the one in oil drum alley? i found that one as a kid because i was geniunely curious about why was there just one banana as a prize.
>>
>>11116107
that's great and all but there being only one collectible is still gay man, sorry
>>
>>11115932
The thing is, DKC has no power ups or anything similar, so all they can do is giving you lives. I guess it would have been cool if they also gave you a secret world or something similar.
>>
What the hell do you want? Money? An art gallery? A blowjob from Candy? It's a fucking 16 bit platformer. You get lives and keep playing.
>>
>>11116692
IMO all they needed in terms of extra lives was bananas and balloons. that makes sense. the rest of it is just BS and they should have either given the stuff real uses or left it out entirely. there's a lot they could've done with what they had.
>let you open secret levels
>let you buy extra/better secrets from cranky
>etc.
or maybe just have actual powerups instead of a bunch of meaningless gold trinkets
>>
>>11115983
Yeah, it was my chief gripe when I played the modern DKC games. Lives are plentiful in DKC1, if you're going out and looking for them, but even then you'll get hit with a hard part that just drains them a ton. Look at Mine Cart Carnage, everyone's favorite infamous roadblock. Unless you time it one specific jump late in the level, you aren't getting any lives if you die. Game Over is a real threat.

Then there's Retro DKC, and it tosses you about twenty lives between numerous checkpoints. You might die alot, but you're also making back more than you lose, so the challenge isn't really there.
>>
>>11116723
>dude it's a 16 but platformer so it can just like, be shit okay? lol
plenty of 8-bit platformers had more than one collectible/powerups you oxygen-hoovering troglodyte. what a retarded argument.
>>
>>11115915
And that's why DKC3 is the second best in the trilogy.
>>
>>11115915
benchmark game and probably start of "look it's shiny graphics so you don't realize gameplay is nonexistent". The bosses were ridiculous even for 10 year old me. But cozy to play on summer evening after coming back from the beach.
>>
>>11115915
What you want it so that instead of the balloon existing instead they put 100 bananas in that spot? Have them all stacked ontop of each ruining the aesthetic and killing the performance all to appease your autism? The same could be said of the bunches and letters.

I'm willing to beat if they do that you wouldn't even prefer that version. You are just bored or frustrated about something and this is your outlet. You find people online to whine at about stupid shit you don't actually care about.
>>
>>11115920
>lives
>men
It is neither. Nor is it a 1up. The correct term is freeguy
>>
>>11115934
Underrated

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.