[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (11 KB, 230x230)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
What are some games that you played all the way through with emulation back when emulation for your system of choice was a completely glitchy shitshow? What was your experience like?

For me, I played through a couple of Squaresoft games with audio emulation not all that dissimilar to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlnEDoaLos
>>
I played through Banjo Kazooie and Final Fantasy IX on an original Xbox. The former slowed to about 2 FPS when swimming and the latter had save corruption so only save states worked, except they corrupted too and I lost about 10 hours of progress because of it. There were all kinds of graphical and sound glitches too.
>>
>>11190156
On ZSNES I played through super bomberman.
at some point I realized if I let the bomb explode on me while placing more bombs, I could just walk around killing everything as a actual bomb man. Anyways naturally I did this all the way to the end because im a sleezy bastard.

I tried it again on other emulators and it didnt do that. I dont know if I unlocked a cheatcode somehow or it was just ZSNES being buggy
>>
pic not rel? considering it had speedhacks which made games extremely playable and not slow and glitchy
i had more glitches on snes9x
>>
>>11190178

Yeah I've never had any serious problems with ZSNES. I'd still gladly use it today, although I wouldn't seek it out.

I did have problems with early NES emulators for Windows. Like, I don't know, Pasofami or something. The concept of emulation was new enough to me that I was dazzled by it, no matter how clunky, buggy, or inscrutably Japanese a particular emulator was.
>>
File: file.png (387 KB, 750x549)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
I used to spend hours playing this fucking game on a keyboard.
Got to the point that I couldn't play it using a controller anymore.
>>
The battle music in snes final fantasy v always feels too fast for me now due to how it was imprinted into my mind running at about 85%. It's actually slightly better that little bit slower.
>>
>>11190156
>back when emulation for your system of choice was a completely glitchy shitshow?

Is this some sort of new zoomer meme youtube knowledge bullshit? The "glitchy shitshow" emulator versions lasted mere months. For instance if you look at Nesticle's revision log, the shitty version people use to make funny youtube videos lasted a couple of months, and the emulator didn't get famous and widespread until the later version. There are probably more "funny glitchy shitshow videos" on youtube than there were people actually playing using those versions.
>>
>>11190156

back in the psp 1.0 emulation days I played through chrono trigger at like half the normal FPS. also a ton of punch out at normal speed, but that was fine. looking back it was so shitty and obtuse to me it filtered me from emulation for decades, only just recently did I hop back in and thank god I did cause its light years better and Ill never go back.
>>
>>11190258
Yeah this is a meme and complete bs. Even back in 2000 the snes emulator was already 99% perfect and nes was 100%. Heck even gba was 100% emulated in 2001.
Proof? I still have the emus and stuff from 96-2001 from the original files from 20+ years ago
>>
>>11190258
>>11190287
Truth, which is why the only example I can think of is Front Mission on SNES9x some time around 2000 and this only because it had a completely botched fan translation. I got through the entire game not being able to read any dialogue, it was a jumbles mess of latin and japanese characters. I have been able to run most games absolutely fine ever since I got into emulation in the late 90s.
>>
Comfy snow makes the occasional audio glitch worth it.
>>
>>11190287
I was playing Gunstar Heroes on a friend's raspberry pi and the player sprites kept disappearing and it was plagued by slowdown, so it's still possible to play games in a gimped state
>>
>>11190156
You posted the one emulator that never gave me any technical problems whatsoever. Extremely solid.
>>
>>11190156
Only speedrunners and those who are obsessed with 100% accuracy ever had problems with zsnes. Of course zsnes had some issues if you completely forgot your directory setup or control schemes but that is on you.
>>
>>11190156
SOVL
I remember my dad downloading a bunch of SFC ROMS for me to play after school and playing Rockman & Forte on ZSnes. The sound would be all over the place every time you used Dynamo Man's attack and that off-tempo clicking in your video made nonstalgic for it. It would sound like small pieces of glass shattering.
>>
I played a lot of games on ZSNES in the early 2000s and the ony thing that was wrong wtih them was that certain sounds were higher than they were actually supposed to be - but I didnt realise this until i downloaded a later version and certain sounds like Megaman's charged shot/jump in MM7 or the long water snake's cries in Launch Octopus' stage were lower pitched to their real sounds.

I thought there was something wrong with the emulator then and i still kind of find the real sounds off-putting. can't remember which version of zsnes i was using at the time but i'd really like to download it again so i can hear the sounds how i remembered them as a kid. there was never anything wrong with the music itself though, just a few sound effects
>>
im pretty sure my video settings when i was 9 or whatever was full of uneven pixels and shimmering but i didnt look for them so i didnt care
>>
Minish cap and harmony of despair, had to be 15 years ago as i was playing them on my laptop while my kid watched. Whatever emulator i was using just crashed out a killed my saves etc. My kid and i were gutted as i was close to finishing minish cap and almost 100% harmony. 64 emulation was awful at the time, we got paper mario to kinda work lol.
>>
i dont recall having any issues playing roms (assuming they actually ran), and i started doing it with nes/snes in the late 90s. what i remember is just having trouble finding the roms. youd have to go thru all these webrings that would open up these voting popups. they rarely worked, and even if you did actually download something, it was often a garbage file.
>>
>>11190258
>Is this some sort of new zoomer meme
People who were using emulators around 1997-98 lived it.
>>
>>11190156
probably showing my age here, but I remember when ZSNES didn't have support for transparencies, getting stuck on Launch Octopus's stage in Megaman X (because you couldn't see underwater), and then accidentally finding out that one of the number keys disables the foreground layer... man, emulation has come a long way since then.

>>11190475
bzzzzt WRONG.
Donkey Kong Country 2 was a AAA title and ZSNES has game-breaking glitches that, to this day, have never been fixed.
>>
>>11190287
>Even back in 2000 the snes emulator was already 99% perfect and nes was 100%
Yeah but some of us remember what emulators were like before 2000, anon. I was using NO$GMB and Nesticle in 1998.
>>
>>11190946
yup, back in 1998 when i played the FF5 fan translation with zsnes it just didn't emulate the DSP in the sound chip at all so to this day some songs sound weird when i hear them played properly
>>
>>11190956
I remember Pokemon having buggy music in No$GMB and being all shockedpikachu.jpg when I got a Game Boy and heard the music for real

And then playing Megaman II on real hardware and finding out that, actually, the music really is just that shitty lmao
>>
File: 1719380520012006.png (9 KB, 512x446)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>11190258
This.
Definitely getting old but I remember when a game was getting ripped/whatever so you could emulate it. And there'd be bugs that took time to fix. So you had attention whore morons that would download an UNPATCHED VERSION and immediately go full retard about it.

I don't blame Gen Z, is older gender had idiots too.
>>
How about this?
Where do I go for Vidya these days? I'm out of the loop. Thank you big N for attacking emu sites.
>>
Ya know, outside of arcade games on old versions of mame it's gotta be Seiken Densetsu 3 on zsnes
>>
>>11191021
https://r-roms.github.io/megathread/retro/
>>
>>11191032
Ah a blind link on 4chan.
>>
>>11191042
You're starting to heckin' piss me the frick off bro
>>
>>11190156
Still using it to this date, just finished chrono trigger the other day on it.
>>
I had no idea emulating even existed until like 2010 or something and even back then I thought old NES games were bad compared to halo or something because I was a dumb middle schooler
>>
File: worksonmymachine.png (48 KB, 200x193)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>11190156
>a completely glitchy shitshow
>>
I have never played a version of Shin Megami Tensei without the bug (caused by a tl patch and not emulation, it would happen playing from real hardware with a loader) that makes it so you won't have a gun store in Act 1. But it arguably makes the game better
>>
>>11190458
>I was playing Gunstar Heroes on a friend's raspberry pi and the player sprites kept disappearing and it was plagued by slowdown, so it's still possible to play games in a gimped state

That's normal for the game, it pushes a lot of sprites and the system has a limit on how many it can display, so sometimes you get stuff disappearing. It affects many other games, and so does slowdown.
so that emulator was accurate and whatever else you used that had no slowdown and no disappearing sprites was inaccurate - it didn't emulate the sprite limit and ran the emulated 68k faster.
>>
>>11190156
The worst experience I recall putting up with is that certain effects in Valkyrie Profile (particularly those related to Freya's teleportation and hovering) would absolutely tank the FPS when I played through it.
>>
>>11191213
The so called fixed patch breaks the game further.
>no gun shop at all.
>if you level up to lv19 game will crash
>happens on any emulator (used snes9x and bsnes).
Game is kinda unplayable on snes emu currently, leveled up because of strong enemy when rescuing the girl after tje fight i leveled up to lvl 19 and the game crashed, using the so called fixed patch.
>>
>>11191268
But gunstar heroes don't have those issues, played it fine without issues on pc emu..... ohhh raspberry pi, if he uses a shitty hardware to emulate you understand why he has those issues.
Snes had lot of those issues due to low CPU specially on game like fighters history with lot of missing sprites.
>>
>>11191021
How dare they strike down the poor, helpless distributors of piracy.
>>
>>11191417
cringe
>>
>>11191087
It's like you didn't even try to comprehend what you read.
>>
>>11191445
Should be the tag line for this entire board tbqh
>>
>>11191417
Go suck Apple's cock some more you pathetic excuse for man.
>>
>>11191087
I only had problems with translation patches. Which kinda sucked because they were always JRPGs and I always snapshotted, almost never used the games save function.
>>11191268
This, I like slowdown but I don't like sprite flicker. Emulators new and old have nice QOL hacks.
>>
>>11190156
>when emulation for your system of choice was a completely glitchy shitshow
That's still true of the recent decompilation projects. I created a macro to open the console and type void because Ship of Harkinian loads the wrong text box and hangs at the end so often.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.