[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

3-Year duration 4chan Passes are now available for $45

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 81OLPU-aAML.jpg (331 KB, 1620x1392)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>have to avoid every fight playing the game logistically because of the dumbest level scaling
>some forced meme system again
Square might me the most amateurish AAA dev ever
>>
Not as bad as Bethesda, who still keep making games with ridiculous level scaling
>>
>>11218063
only shithead retards cry about level scaling. one must be pretty bad at vidya to have such a skill issue in a jarpig
>>
>>11218063
>>have to avoid every fight
Not like jarpig fights are anything but torture
>>
>>11218063
characters are too safe and boring, feels like an unofficial spirits within game
>>
>>11218078
don't insult spirits within
>>
>>11218067
>you get stronger so things get harder lol
is just dumb game design and a lazy way to balance your game. Let's not talk about Capcom's dynamic difficulty which opens up a whole new set of problems
>>
>>11218063
>playing the game logistically
Oh my god. FF8 sucks cock but PLEASE stop minmaxing every fucking game and just enjoy them for what they are (FF8 is bad regardless, but still)
>>
>>11218063
Dude, the game is piss easy no matter what you do. Level up like crazy at the start if you want, it doesn't really change much, that's the point.
>>
>>11218063
Unironically git gud.. It's the best FF if you didn't play it as a kid
>>
>>11218212
This.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (173 KB, 510x287)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>11218063
R+U theory is real!!
>>
>>11218212
>FF8 sucks cock
Cloud did that, not Squall
>>
>>11218160
have you ever played FF8? a bite bug just still just a bite bug whether it's level 1 or 100, while a malboro or ruby dragon is dangerous no matter what level it is
the only thing that really changes with the level scaling is that they have more HP, have better magic to draw and drop better items which can be turned into better magic that also makes you stronger
really the only time enemy levels matter is before you get the level up/down command and want a specific drop that an enemy only drops at low levels
>>
>>11218063
>normal human beings
Plays FF8 like any other JRPG, beats it with 0 problems, moves on with their life
>autists 20+ years later after looking at the game's code
This game is UNPLAYABLE due to the OBSCENE level scaling and draw system
>>
File: IMG_4650.gif (1024 KB, 390x263)
1024 KB
1024 KB GIF
for me it's Siren
>>
>>11218063
Still better than the mediocre IX: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14012757/1/Everything-Wrong-with-Final-Fantasy-IX
>>
>>11218063
I never had an issue with the level scaling. You just don't understand how to properly use the junction system.

You can:
Get the ultimate weapons on disc 1
Get all the GF commands/magic making, etc
Make items to become OP.

If you're playing it like a modern RPG, you will fail.
>>
>>11218063
Japanese developers do not consider themselves triple A. That is a meaningless westerntrash invention. Don't believe me? Look it up.
>>
>>11218063
The level scaling doesn't actually matter. The stats per level are documented, your own personal stats still scale more than the enemies' do, you are still getting stronger. Basically what >>11218212 said, this is like bitching that you can't let yourself level up in IX before you get the Dagguero equipment because you gain more stats per level with better gear. IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER, are you that desperate to hit 9999 damage at as low a level as possible? This isn't fucking pathfinder where the game requires this of you to beat it.
>>
>>11218063
Higher level enemies drop the best items needed for better weapons and magic refines. Optional boss is always level 100 regardless of your level. You're just over thinking things and shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
>>11219670
>>normal human beings
>Plays FF8 like any other JRPG, beats it with 0 problems, moves on with their life

Do all normies play ff8 with a guide from the beginning? It's more like following a set of instructions of what to do,yeah?
>>
>>11221492
It matters in the sense that if your character levels are uneven enough your weakest character is going to eat fucking shit without good junctions. Like if you have characters level 20/30/40, you're going to see enemies level 25 and 35 and 20 vs 35 is a bad time. So power leveling one character is a particularly poor idea (this is a problem in the sense that Squall is the obvious sole main character so he both naturally tends to gain more levels and you will think leveling him is a good idea if you don't know otherwise), but leveling your characters in general is fine.
>>
>>11218160
>is just dumb game design and a lazy way to balance your game
Actually it's a great way to balance the game. You can't ignore the junction mechanic, and everybody who ever complains about this game always includes that they hated drawing magic and that the junctioning didn't make sense to them. It's proof that the level scaling is a great way to force you to engage with the junctioning system.

The REAL problem with FF8's balance is obviously the card refining, but if you do that you're basically putting in a bunch of work up front to, in my mind, sign a contract with the game stating that you don't want any challenge, and that you agree not to complain about any lack of challenge.
>>
I've played this as a teenager, didn't know anything about level scaling, didn't grind because I hate grinding, just played normally, never ran away from fights and didn't have any problems completing it
>>
>>11218063
>have to
I'm not defending the level scaling, I don't like how it punishes you for leveling, but you don't "have to". It's perfectly playable and beatable if you play normally.
I had a much worse experience with Oblivion's level scaling.
>>
>>11218503
>+
Plus...?
>>
>>11220667
You don't get ops point. The problem with ff8 it that fighting is literally counter productive. It's poorly designed and that is a fact.
>>
>>11222489
https://youtu.be/y_EMnNpQey4?si=rEYVMYb3T_PoNgLk
>>
>>11222462
Yuri selfcest
>>
>>11218063
You can unlock the ability to turn off random encounters.
>>
>>11218063
>have to
skill issue

I did every fight.
I didn't rotate my party members at all, always used my favorite people except when they weren't available.
I had little issue finishing the game even when I got slapped with a super underleveled second party at the end of the game.
So I say again, skill issue.
>>
>>11219670
Hey, don't disparage autists like that. Every time I found a new draw I would extend the battle to draw max, and then I would manually rejunction all my GFs and attributes to get the best spreads.
And I loved the game, never found it too difficult, and did finish it.
>>
>>11222524
Having a super underleveled second party is probably the reason the level scaling is in the game.
>>
>>11222583
Yeah but I just gave them a GF with no encounters and then aura'd through the unavoidable fights.
ez fucking pz
>>
>>11222489
>The problem with ff8 it that fighting is literally counter productive.
Not true. Leveling up before you get the bonus abilities is just sub-optimal. Leveling up gets you access to higher level spells to draw from enemies.
>>
>>11219435
It's not about that it makes the game easier or harder It's that leveling is almost worthless in FF8, drawing is a worse version of the entire materia system, which is just a different version of the job system. FFV is peak FF.
>>
>>11222623
>leveling is almost worthless in FF8
It's not, though. It's just something FF8 gives you more control over than other games. Why is FF8 the only game that gets treated like its most extreme meta-game is the only way to play it? Hold your own shit to that standard.

>the entire materia system
Oh who cares? Did you know the entire materia system is almost worthless? You can manipulate Cait Sith's slots to get Game Over every time. You can get Omnislash on disc 1 too WOW final fantasy 7 is AWFUL.

>FFV is peak FF
Wow sorry, everything in that whole game is almost worthless just use Rapid Fire.

>FFVI
Shit game, just vanish/doom 99% of enemies including bosses.

But obviously none of that's true. FF5, 6, and 7 are all fun, and so is FF8. FF8's just a little different than a traditional RPG, because FF was supposed to be the innovator compared to DQ's traditionalist approach. I don't know what it is about this particular experiment that turns people into such insane retards.
>>
>>11222492
Dangerously based
>>
>>11222610
>Not true
Its true. There is no reason to fight 99% of random encounters because you still get good spells without leveling, plus draw points and item refining. You don't even need a ton of junction fuckery to put a big gap between you and the enemy. You don't even get experience points for beating bosses, only ap which allows you to do more junction boosting. And you have abilities that straight up turn random encounters off with no penalty. Its absolutely counter productive to fight.

People are so blinded by their favorite triple A jrpgslop that they can't even honestly assess how stupid the battle system is. This isn't something achieved by autistic masterful manipulation of the system, its simply what the game is.
>>
>>11222683
>This isn't something achieved by autistic masterful manipulation of the system, its simply what the game is.
Right, it's achieved through the totally normal act of immediately choosing Quetzacotl's card refine ability, going straight to one particular NPC in the starting area, winning one specific card off him, playing the game like a sane person until you get the ability to fight a specific boss, using an exploit to beat said boss very early, and then having HIM learn one specific ability so you can then refine the item you got for that one card into one powerful spell.

Totally normal play.

>There is no reason to fight 99% of random encounters.
There's also no reason to run from 99% of random encounters unless you're hard metagaming with triple triad. If you're taking the time to play cards with specific NPCs for hours and hours until you get enough Tornados to break the game, how the fuck is that any different from just going outside and grinding random battles for hours, which you can do in ANY other FF game?
>>
>>11222690
>Right, it's achieved through the totally normal act of immediately choosing Quetzacotl's card refine ability, going straight to one particular NPC in the starting area
You don't even have to do all that. Within 3 minutes you could explain how final fantasy 8 works to a new player and they will be set.

1.Only defeat mandatory enemies and bosses
2. Use junction/gfs to get stronger, not leveling

That's it. Its kinda funny because the only reason why people miss this is because they are conditioned to think fighting is the solution, so most people never realize how badly designed it is. It completely relies on player ignorance to maintain the illusion of a challenge. Once you realize how it really works I don't see how you can enjoy it anymore, because its not glitch or exploit, its what the game is.
>>
>>11222683
>Its true.
It's false. Posts in this very thread have already explained why.
>>
>>11222702
>1.Only defeat mandatory enemies and bosses
>2. Use junction/gfs to get stronger, not leveling
You've never tried what you're talking about. The method for beating the game without leveling up isn't this. It involves abusing Seifer's temporary member status in the early SeeD mission to draw a bunch of high level spells, and abusing the fact that carding enemies doesn't give exp and only AP.

There's also just no reason at all TO avoid leveling up. You're acting like it somehow actively hurts you, when it plainly doesn't. You still get stronger by leveling up, the enemies just get a little boost as well. Their drops ALSO change to be better items, and you also get better magic you can draw from them, there are plenty of reasons to level up.
>>
>>11222651
Leveling in FF8 is worthless because it isn't what makes you stronger if you want to be OP you'll be running from every fight. Argueably leveling up makes you weaker.
It's antithetical to the JRPG.
>Final Fantasy 7 is awful
I get you're trying to give 7 the treatment most people give 8, but I never called 8 awful I said leveling in it is worthless, because it is.
>rapid fire
lmao
>I don't know what it is about this particular experiment that turns people into such insane retards.
Because it didn't work also because 8 isn't actually bad but it's combat and cards gameplay turn off most JRPG fans from it. Basically liking 8 is the line of do you prefer gameplay or story.
>>
>>11222716
>You've never tried what you're talking about.
>>11222491
The entire first disk completed without beating a single random encounter or using autistic exploits. That was just showcase, obviously it works for the whole game.
>>
>>11222726
>The entire first disk completed without beating a single random encounter or using autistic exploits.
And wow look, all your boss fights took so long you had to fast forward through them. Meanwhile I played the game and fought all the random encounters I ran into and the boss fights went quick because I had access to better magic to junction. Nobody's saying you CAN'T beat the game without leveling up. The point is that leveling up doesn't somehow make you weaker, or that there's no benefit to leveling up.
>>
>>11222742
>all your boss fights took so long you had to fast forward through them.
To save time for the video, and think about how much time you save not even doing random encounters once you turn them off. But now we're just moving the goal post.
>>
>>11222747
>But now we're just moving the goal post.
The goal post wasn't moved, though. Read:
>The point is that leveling up doesn't somehow make you weaker, or that there's no benefit to leveling up.
How does you beating the first disk and taking a lot longer on the bosses than I did demonstrate that leveling up makes you weaker?
>>
>>11222758
My video isn't the best example to go by since I was completely dialing it in and rushing to make my points, I wasn't trying to demolish the enemies as quickly as possible, it was to demonstrate the futility of fighting random encounters. And if you pay attention I spent a lot of time drawing from bosses so I could get as much magic as possible to junction with without doing card stuff. If I was going all out it would have been non stop squall/zell limit breaks.

>leveling up makes you weaker
That's not the point I made specifically, but it is counter productive because it makes the enemies stronger while giving you very little in return. Yeah technically you get stronger too, but not as much as them because your real power is in junctioning, the game is designed that way.

Its really simple. You getting stronger and the enemy staying the same is better than you both getting stronger together.
>>
>>11222803
>You getting stronger and the enemy staying the same is better than you both getting stronger together.
Better in what sense? Because it sounds like you're just promoting a dull way to play the game because it's slightly more effective than just playing it the normal way and making it seem like that's some kind of huge design flaw.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.