[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: KjORpJSg-900x420.jpg (59 KB, 900x420)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
I grew up with the PS1, however downloading Duckstation and trying some games from my adolescence was kinda sobering, they don't really hold up lol, I guess rose-tinted glasses and all that. Just curious what gayms you actually play?
>>
>>11242772
Just Tetris lately
>>
i only emulate.
>nes
>snes
>genesis
>ps1
>mame
>dos/pc
>>
>>11242772
I grew up almost entirely with emulation, especially the ZSNES. I play almost exclusively emulated games, mostly SNES, GBA, GBC/GB, sometimes a little NES or DOS, occasional rare forays into newer shit like the PSP.

Lately I've played Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA), Pilotwings (SNES), and Star Ocean: Blue Sphere (GBC) a lot.
>>
What games did you play that didn't hold up?
>>
>>11242772
All kinds. I just beat Cold Winter on PS2, last night I took a break from the PS2 with Space invaders 91 which rules, I'll be returning to the PS2 to complete more of GTA SA and Kya Dark Lineage soon.
>>
File: t50d7qauvah11.jpg (34 KB, 720x453)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>11242814
>I grew up almost entirely with emulation, especially the ZSNES.
>>
>>11242772
love that entire gen, especially ps1 and n64. they are what i regularly play. occasionally i break out other stuff, but not as often as those.
>>
Mostly NES, SNES, Genesis and the Atari 2600.
>>
>>11242814
Based zoomer not being attached to buying physical lumps of plastics like millenials and xoomers
>>
File: Castlevania Chase.gif (1.37 MB, 700x632)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>11242772
>they don't really hold up lol
I don't know what you mean, I played a number of PS1 games for the first time ever in the last few years and enjoyed them a great deal. I think you mean to say you didn't like them? A good game in 1998 is a good game now.

Either way, my first console was the Mega Drive, and I play a lot of games from all eras. Currently playing the original Baldur's Gate on PC, and just finished Shinobi and Nightshade on PS2. I play on original hardware where I have the consoles, but otherwise I don't mind using emulation.
A friend suggested playing Shadow of the Ninja, so I might try that next.
I love playing through various eras of games, they all have their own charm.
Pic related; I only played the first Castlevania for the first time a couple years ago and it's fantastic.
>>
>>11243030
>>11243158
I'm a younger millenial. My older brother was into emulation very early.
>>
>>11242772
Mid to late 90s CD-ROM era PC games are my shit. I arrived at the very tail end of windows 98, so there is a little bit of nostalgia in the mix, but I'm mostly amazed by the sheer scope and ambition of the games that were released during that period on a consistent basis. Crpgs, point n click games, simulators, Fps, strategy/management, even the racing games were pushing things forward. The sheer amount of user-made stuff helps as well, the early days of modding and tweaking with the game on all levels. It's insane that shit like Theme Hospital was once considered normal, or that Alpha Centauri was taken for granted.
I'm a sucker for flash games too. Straightforward simplistic arcade games that directly carry the spirit of the original 1st wave of vidya are magic.
Try new things with emulation. Play translated japanese games. Love-de-lic games could be interesting to you.
>>
>>11243247
>It's insane that shit like Theme Hospital was once considered normal, or that Alpha Centauri was taken for granted.

What do you mean by that in regards to Theme Hospital? I've played Theme Park and really enjoyed it, but not familiar with Hospital. I know it's got quite the following though.
I haven't played Alpha Centauri yet, but really should get to it. I did enjoy the newer Civ games a bit, but want to go back and try IV and AC.
>>
>>11243336
i meant those bullfrog games in general. the explosion in creativity and weirdness contained within them really is something to behold, all in autistic detail
>>
>>11242772
my first consoles were ps1 and n64
i only collect and play sega genesis
my favorite game on it is MUSHA
>>
>>11242786
Those are not games, stupid bitch.
>>
>>11243226
>younger millenial
no, you're a zoom.
>>
>>11242772
I play on consoles I own.
SNES, PS2 (plays PS1 obviously), Wii (and thus gamecube), Dreamcast and Sega Saturn.
There are some games I'd like to play on PC98, 3DO and NES, but not enough that I'd buy a new system for them.

Found a copy of Deep Fear on the Saturn yesterday, so looking forward to playing that.
>>
File: 1532160895.png (103 KB, 600x539)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>11243030
>>11243481
ZSNES is over 20 years old you fucking poser. Right on time for anyone born in the late 80's and early 90's.
>>
I play basically every genre except puzzle games and VN-type stuff as far as /vr/ goes, mostly 80s-early 00s. Have beaten too many this year alone to really say "what kind" I kind of dislike 3D PSX games at this point too; I find that a lot of them just feel like shit to play compared to games that are 5 years older or newer than them
>>
>>11243549
Oops, I forgot a line break between "what kind" and "I kind of", and it created a schizo post
>>
i mostly emulate snes/genesis/ps1/ps2 since i grew up with those and usually check out titles i read about in gaming magazines as a kid that i wanted but couldnt afford. only thing jarring is adjusting to sub 30fps games since i game on a mid tier pc but as far as controls and graphics i get used to it
>>
>>11243536
Only a zoomer would grow up "exclusively on emulation". Anybody older would own at least some real consoles, whether they be ones which were new at the time, or hand-me-downs from older relatives.
>>
>>11243030
>zoomers didn't grow up with hardware older than them
>giving shit to a potential zoomer for breaking stereotype and acting on an interest in retro games.
This is retarded.
>>
>>11242772
For me it was the exact opposit. I was getting bored of videogames, I even sold my consoles and spent a lot of time with a cheap laptop just for browsing the internet and work related stuff.
Then one day I decided to emulate the games from my childhood and it was the main reason why I started playing games again
>>
>>11243598
You're a zoomer, aren't you?
>>
>>11243598
Not him but emulation has been there since at least 1996. Genecyst, snex9x, Bleem, etc. and they were rather popular. By the time Visualboy came out in 2001 it was all the rage.
>>
>>11243598
you need a pooter for emulation, consolefag
>>
>>11242772
Anything goes. Except for tabletop handhelds. I skip those in MEME.
>>
>>11242772
I only rarely play anything from the 7th gen on. I did not grow up with most of these games. I just ended up liking them better.
>>
>>11243226
I think it's cute how even zoomers hate being zoomers and try their hardest to be classified as millenials. Millenials always treated Xers as out of touch oldfags who were at best kinda cool but not really.
>>
Don't be disappointed OP. Ps1 games always look like absolute ass even back in the day. Pretty much any retro console holds up better. The combination of early 3D combined with imprecise pixel precision makes the games look like a jittery and blurry mess.
>>
>>11242814
Tactics are pretty much my favorite games but I have never played Lodis because of the character design and faces
>>
File: blackthorne-snes.png (47 KB, 1024x896)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>11242772
>trying some games from my adolescence was kinda sobering, they don't really hold up lol, I guess rose-tinted glasses and all that.
Try out more games from times earlier than PS1, especially arcades. Many are a blast to this day.
I'm currently trying out more dynamic tactics against enemies in Blackthorne.
>>
>>11244528
Thats why I stick to 2d ps1 games
>>
>>11244570
Yeah those are still perfect. I wish that the 3D games didn't have the jittery effect.
>>
Garou
SamSho2
Third Strike
Dodonpachi
Donkey Kong Country 1+2
Contra 3
Star Fox 64
90% of my emulation time is one of those
>>
I'm doing a run through Demons Souls, Blood Omen, and then later on Parasite Eve.
>>
>>11242817
I would like to know this as well OP
>>
I USED TO have an OG copy of Blood Omen. No disc rot either. Then I let my crackhead sister stay at my apartment and in a fit of withdrawal she smashed everything I own while I was at work.

Well. Needless to say the entire rest of our family will no longer help her out. (She's done other terrible things too)
>>
>>11242772
I'm one and done usually with any form of media. Be it books, movies, games, etc.
So for me it's usually watching some video where someone mentions something that sounds enticing that I didn't know existed at the time of release that I go back and play. That actually happens a lot, I'd say 1st time playthrough of any retro game is about 50% of my total play time.
There's just so many fucking games out there.
I'm pretty tolerant of jank/stiff/awful gameplay if I decide the story or whatever is compelling enough to push through.
Or just good gameplay. I spend a lot of time in MAME getting obsessed with one game for a couple months then moving on.
>>
>>11242772
Lately I'm playing Yu-Gi-Oh: the falsebound kingdom, which I never even knew existed until recently (having grew up on the classics like forbidden memories, DDM, duelists of the roses). I see regular criticism of the old Yu-Gi-Oh games but to me they're classic jank with heaps of grinding, and all very different to one another with their own personalities, and very different takes on the strategy genre. All worth checking out.
>>
>>11244568
What are those dynamic tactics? It's a really cool game.
>>
>>11243536
Where does this "20 years-old means retro" faggotry come from?
>>
>>11245729
>What are those dynamic tactics?
Normal playthroughs are mostly done with cautious hide & shot mechanics to clear enemies and traps.
After playing some more it seems that it's more effective to bamboozle them by running/rolling/jumping past and abusing screen transitions/levitators/elevators (keeping high risk/reward mobility).
There are also some funny floor phasing bugs related to ladders and ledges, but those are on 'double-edged speedrun strats' level.
>>
>>11243423
What's the point of restricting yourself to one console?
By doing that you're precluding yourself from experiencing other Compile games similar to MUSHA (and better).
>>
File: mb.jpg (154 KB, 1080x1080)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>11242772
I mostly emulate stuff I enjoyed as a kid, or that I think I would've enjoyed, so titles from the same franchises I loved, or from licensed IPs I enjoyed growing up, but didn't have any video games for. I'm mostly playing a lot of Disney stuff right now, and titles based on TV shows I enjoyed. My main consoles are NES, Master System, Genesis, Game Boy (Original/Color/Advance), Game Gear and PS1.

It's fun, especially with RetroArch and it's XMB, which I love since PS3 was the last major console I somewhat liked, using CRT shaders also helps, and having some accurate controllers, it's comfortable.
>>
>>11244556
You're not missing much, that version sucks. For one thing, every single buff or debuff effect from attacking using your native element/weapon etc is always 11% across the board. So if you have a wind element mage for example there is no point in ever not casting a wind element spell. If you are fighting a fire monster and cast a water spell it's buff is 11% for attacking the opposite element but you lose your intrinsic 11% buff for casting a wind spell. Everything is like that which makes the whole tactics part pretty lame.
>>
File: e85.jpg (40 KB, 512x379)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>11242772
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>11242772
Plenty. Playing PS1 Ghost in the Shell at the moment - it’s a fun game that’s pretty exhilarating when you get good at it. The enemy models are practically boxes, but the soundtrack and fmvs are top-notch, it’s particularly good if you’re a fan of the manga.

Also playing Megaman Legends - just got used to the controls, such a comfy game. Really enjoying the presentation, think it holds still holds together remarkably well, though they totally overdid the gate themes. There was no reason for them to be that creepy.

Have a game boy pocket on my desk, that I play on work breaks. Parodius, Megaman, Nemesis - it’s just a perfect little thing for quick playthroughs.

Also broke out my GBA to play Tactics Advance, gave up after a few hours. I have no idea how I ever played anything on that thing with the screen the way it was. When you get good light, and a good angle, it’s beautiful. The vast majority of the time, it’s hopeless.

I think retro games have a real place in modern gaming. I don’t have time in life for 70 hour shell quests, whereas the heavy lifting that the graphics and sound of retro games had to do back in the day make them much more satisfying experiences now, in the round.
>>
>>11242772
Basically anything. Lately, I’ve been using my Wii to go through my GameCube backlog. Before that, I was going through my N64 backlog via Everdrive until my N64’s audio started acting up. The past couple of nights, I’ve been playing Metroid Zero Mission via emulator. I’ll probably try out Fusion Mission next.

I need to do a little work on my Wii soon, and I’ll probably hack it after that. I already have the supplies on hand. The N64 will make a comeback once I’m able to repair it, assuming I’m able to do so. With the way life is going, I might have to pay someone to recap it for me.

Can’t really ask for more than a stable job and a happy family, but the limited time makes this hobby tough.
>>
>>11242772
I play a lot of SNES and DS games, mainly. Specifically Earthbound, ALTTP, Bowser's Inside Story and Final Fantasy III
>>
PS2 is not much of a retro platform i guess ?
but i replayed the Suikoden games on the PSand now am playing Kingsfield 4 on the PS2, first time playing it, loving it but if i actually get lost at times.
>>
>>11242772
Crysis (DX9), COD 4, Oblivion, CS: Source, FEAR, Doom 3, Halo CE, NFS: MW
>>
Get the ones from the recommended wiki if you want to try "the best of the best". Retro games are mostly 80% shit, 10% is nostalgia and 10% is decent stuff. Childhood games are those kind of games that must be sealed in your mind, because when you play them now you will realize how mediocre they were.

As of me, Tetris and Crash Team Racing are my to-go.
>>
I was just playing Jackal the other day. I was doing pretty good up until I got to the final boss, and he promptly flattened my dick.
>>
>>11242772
It's popular again so I quit

I was playing mostly sports though
>>
>>11248251
Those are not ''retro'' games wtf
>>
>>11248597
they are by this board's definition
>>
>>11248597
we're old, anon
>>
>>11242772
I've become literate in Japanese in the last few years, so I'm playing catch-up on a bunch of text-heavy classics. RPGs, VNs, a little bit of everything.
My favorite retro games I've finished this year (that a person who doesn't know Japanese can enjoy) are Puzzle Bobble 3, The Little Mermaid (Capcom), and Masoukishin. I can easily recommend all three!
>>
File: Ariel.full.2874091.jpg (110 KB, 700x700)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>11250825
>The Little Mermaid (Capcom)
Based.
>>
>>11247251
i like physical, it sucks but it is what it is; i also haven't found what to pair with it. been debating about getting a saturn since i miss mine and i miss guardian heroes
>>
>>11242772
Pokemon
>>
File: 1709776128051377.jpg (41 KB, 800x600)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>11242772
I mostly play 8-Bit titles that are inferior ports of 16-Bit and/or arcade ones, especially ones based on licensed IPs I like, or from classic franchises, I especially love SEGA.

Yes, Master System's my favorite console, how could you tell?
>>
File: Tenchu 2 Detective Vision.png (1.03 MB, 1365x1070)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>11242772
The controls may be too clunky for some but Tenchu 2 blew my fucking mind when I played it again recently.
Many features that are now standard in stealth games were seemingly pioneered by Tenchu 2. Aerial takedowns, the ability to "sense" nearby enemies and their current status, moving corpses to prevent caution states, multiple forms of context sensitive kills like knocking a guy down into a well with a throwing star, advanced locomotion systems for climbing and hiding, enemies that give chase and need to be out-maneuvered... many features that just were not common in most games.
It's only real flaw is the tank controls, but learning how their nuances work can be very satisfying. Learning how to reliably do a Moonsault or a Longjump when the controls are as stiff as they are is extra rewarding.

I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it. Mastering the primitive controls is satisfactory in a way that is incomparable to other games of it's time. No other game with tank controls feels this satisfying to master. It also has a neat story about stereotypical clan feudalism.
>>
>>11253037
Forgot to mention that I mostly play pre-PS2 era games with emulation. Dreamcast is the most modern thing I am willing to emulate.

I own a physical PS1 and many games for it but emulation allows me to play games that I literally cannot buy with any money. Trying foreign games not released in my country is always a treat as well.
>>
>>11243598
NTA I started emulating at the age of 10 in 1998

It's obvious you had no idea what you were talking about and you're now in damage control mode, STFU already

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.