[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Dxinvwar.jpg (51 KB, 258x387)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>Played it in 2004 on PS2 up to the Egypt level
>Am now playing on Steam on PC.
It's just not nearly as good a game as the original. I played Deus Ex Revision recently after having played the original countless times. What a great game. But Invisible Wars is just so simple compared to the original.
What are your favorite Deus games and why?
>>
>>11244030
there is only 1 deus ex game
>>
>>11244030
i turned this game off because i couldn't stand the way the characters spoke so fast and like video game npcs instead of people
>stranger sees you for the first time in a bar
>Hey, you look you can handle yourself, do you want to a) take out my enemy for me? b) find some money to buy off my enemy - I'll reward you with another job
Like shut the fuck up why are you talking to me like that I have my own life
>>
>>11244030
I really liked it but it was a mistake to play it right after finishing the original
>>
The original and mankind divided are the best games because of the level design.Invisible war and human revolution are practically the same game level wise.
>>
Who were the devs that Ion Storm lost that made this game so shitty? I don't believe it's just the console limitations, the proper Deus Ex devs would have figured out how to make a good game with what it had.
>>
>>11244585
Warren was chilling around and not doing anything. Harvey was dealing with a divorce.
The two major people involved had no interest in the game.
>>
>>11244030
1 is my favorite. Just overall feels the best. IW is worse, but the Omar and some of the black market augs are fun. I found HR boring and didn't play MD.
>>
>>11244030
I played it recently and enjoyed it. Thought it had even more reactivity than the first game in some ways, stuff like being able to bribe NG Resonance's manager to get a coffee endorsement and then rat her out to the AI to get her fired.
>>
>>11244605
lol Warren was not the reason DE was good. Warren was purely an "ideas guy" and he was run dry after DE1. Harvey was indeed tied up with other bullshit and he was more important but he couldn't do shit so most of the duties fell on a literal who from the original team that couldn't handle it. So half the game had no direction. It's kind of a miracle it even came out as good as it did. But this is why it was so rushed and why it has some of the weird issues it does. Not to mention people forget how bad DE was at release bug wise and even today is still got a ton of bugs. IW gets a lot of hate but it wasn't that bad. The prequels are far worse games.
>>
>>11244070
This. What other games?
>>
>>11246347
The ideas guy is called a designer and Warren designed practically everything minus the modified skill system that Harvey made.
Also, who is this literal who?
IW was so bad technical wise it restarted the game every time a level loaded, it was that bad.
>>
>>11246802
You're mixing up your roles, Warren was a director and producer, not a designer. He gave the general outline of the game and threw out ideas to the people who actually did the work or the bosses of them. Harvey was the lead designer of 1 and did a lot of actual work. However for 2 he was going through too much shit so he went into the director role, Warren practically disappeared for the development of 2. The lead designer role that he previously held was filled by Ricardo Bare, a person who was a favorite of Harvey but was not good at his job and had half the team assisting him along with Harvey himself and honestly he might be a large part of the reason the game ended up in such a messy state.
The other reason is basically every single programmer from the first game quit after DX and most of the people working on IW were fairly new to the industry with most of the only working on the PS2 port of 1 prior to making IW.
There's a reason the company collapsed shortly after this game (and thief) even though both sold decently enough.
>>
I don't think it's that bad of a game. The tiny segmented levels with frequent loading screens hurt the most.
>>
>>11247284
Came here to post this. You couldn't have a proper stealth game with small dioramas.
>>
>>11244030
I played the five games in a row recently (The fall is super short so at least it doesn't overstays it's welcome)
Invisible war is still my second favorite after the original, may be a simplified and nonsensical story which only undid the choises you made for the ending of 1 but it feels like a fun game
the prequels feel like propaganda
>>
>>11246871
Harvey begged warren to cut the mexico level. Why would the lead designer beg the director to cut a level he himself made?
Also, harvey changed the skill/aug system warren made. Why would he change his own systems?

Warren was the one that made deus ex the game it was,especially the conspiracy stuff. Everybody else just cut and modified stuff in order to ship it. As seen with invisible war and Dishonored.

Reading credits doesn't tell you the full story.
>>
>>11244030
i remember i used to have an edit of this pic that was brendan frasers face and the game title changed to INSTALL RAM
its the only real positive memory i have of this game. im not even sure if i played it, but i somehow remember it not being very good
truly a mystery
>>
the original is my favourite, the way it looks and plays makes me feel something i cant put into words

i've never gone past the hub area in IW for the opposite reason, because it looks uninteresting and plays meh

human revolution also looks great, the gameplay is a bit too simple for my taste though and the augs are not that cool, story is nice and i like some of the side quests

MD is a bit weird and frequently crashed on me
>>
>>11244030
>Played it on PS2
No you did not
>>
>>11244030
>Played it in 2004 on PS2
it's an xbox exclusive
>>
>>11244030
>perfect dark chicago level sized map sections
rip enjoyment rip franchise
>>
File: hmm.png (2 KB, 264x49)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>11248606
hmm
>>
>>11244030
>Played it in 2004 on PS2
#releasetheps2port
>>
>>11244030
This game was so bad that I questioned if I still enjoyed playing video games for a time after beating it
>>
File: 1674006426222585.png (5 KB, 700x700)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>11244030
The premise of the game is better than the actual game. It could have worked, but it did not. There were some good bits here and there.
>>
>>11244030
>But Invisible Wars is just so simple compared to the original.
>What are your favorite Deus games and why?

Unironically Syndicate 1. but the expansion pak is bullshit. i bought Syndicate Wars, but never tried it. heard it was fun enough but early 3D graphix in a RTS is ugly as sin. people seem to like it more on PSX, with lower console expectations.

of cose i also haven't played System Shocks, which are consider the fathers of Deus Ex 1. so maybe my mind will change.
>>
>>11244481
>mankind divided are the best games because of the level design.Invisible war and human revolution are practically the same game level wise.

>>>/v/notretro
>>
>>11250251
>game was so bad that I questioned if I still enjoyed playing video games for a time after beating it

Project Snowblind did that for me....
>>
>>11244481
I can't remember a damn thing about human revolution and mankind divided. Human revolution is one of those games like Metroid Prime that got an undeserved good reputation because everyone was expecting so much worse. The 360 generation was so aggressively stupid just having dialog written in complete sentences with punctuation would have gotten a standing ovation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.