[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (22).jpg (61 KB, 601x510)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Only the finest beat em ups.
>>
File: Guardian Heroes.jpg (141 KB, 709x709)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>
File: 50086_front.jpg (85 KB, 450x633)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>
File: CPSbeatemups.jpg (502 KB, 1280x960)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
>>11245318
The SNES and Genesis were full of good beat em ups but it was clear the sprite size and background detail were quite lacking compared to the arcade.
It kills me that like a hundred plus fully complete arcade beat em ups, only a handful ever got the console treatment and even less came to America. We didn't even get the D&D game in your pic and despite a full English version on arcade, they did not bother including that text in the port. Captain Commando and Warriors of Fate stayed in Japan too.
AvP, Cadillac's and Dinosaurs, Battle Circuit, Violent Storm, Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, Punisher, Ninja Baseball Bat Man, Undercover Cops, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, Guardians, Armored Warriors... the games were finished and it wouldn't have taken much to port some of them.
Arcade Fighting games, Puzzles, Racing, Light Gun and Shoot em Ups got the red carpet treatment, be nice if some of those gorgeous Beat em Ups did too.
>>
>>11245318
>Saturn port
No, they didn't even optimize Tower of Doom for the 4m cart, lazy shit.
>>11245368
I played this one recently, it's not the most balanced/polished game but must have been fun as fuck to play with bros back then.
>>
>>11245318
got the collection of this on xbla back in the day but wanted a mode where you had limited continues or something but I couldn't find a way to not just get infinite retries, which kinda sucked
online is cool and still works tho
>>
>>11245570
PS3 jap port is much better, xbla one is kinda cheap emulation, prolly worse than mame.
Tower of Doom has a 1cc if that encourages you, not an easy game but worth it.
>>
>>11245574
1cc ending*
>>
>>11245318
Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage for SNES and Genesis. Spider-Man had a couple of decent beat 'em ups over the years, but this is the peak, the comic book cutscenes, the OST it got away with despite copying stuff, the decent graphics, it's all very appealing and I'd say that it was easily LJN's peak aswell, such a great time, just a shame it didn't have cooperative play.

At least we got a sequel with cooperative added.
>>
>>11247702
That picture is such a pale imitation of the original. Sure, it look okay at a glance. That's just because they copied the great posing that was done in the original. Aside from that though, nothing. The original cover has scenery, better costume designs, and uses action lines to better convey that Venom and Carnage are in motion. The original just can't be beat.
>>
>>11247702
Absolutely fucking not. Both Spider-Man SNES beat-em-ups are some of the worst in the genre. Total garbage.
>>
>>11245318
Requires too much Japanese reading.
>>
File: clean.jpg (703 KB, 1844x2800)
703 KB
703 KB JPG
>>11249295
I agree, though as a fan I still think it's fun to see old artwork with modern designs sometimes.

>>11249303
How come? I get they're not amazing, but they were satisfying to play through for me, I love the feeling of punching people in them and on a beat 'em ups that's crucial. I love the punch SFX here.
>>
>>11249303
>Both Spider-Man SNES beat-em-ups are some of the worst in the genre.
they're fine though
>>
>>11245318
You posted it in the OP.
>>
File: GOAT.jpg (896 KB, 1400x1400)
896 KB
896 KB JPG
Make way for the GOATest of all time
>>
>>11252936
No they aren't. Especially that unfinished sequel. It's embarrassing.
>>
I love Double Dragon arcade, DD 2 NES and DD 3 NES. It's mostly mastalgia but the first one was good, jank and all.
>>
>>11253175
It was worse than Maximum Carnage on most things, which is why it feels unfinished, but I'd still play it over Maximum Carnage thanks to it allowing for 2 players alone, that's a must in any beat 'em up for me.

Separation Anxiety /vr/os, rise up!
>>
>>11247702
the fact that that piece of shit has the audacity to call itself superior is laughable. holy shit what a soulless work of "art". Nice tumor spiderman
>>11249295
really makes you miss when everything was done by hand. new cartoons and comics just look so sterile. Dragon ball super looks like fucking garbage compared to the original. Also the remade tmnt intro for shredders revenge looks really bad too, like the art is clean and high resolution but looks bad because of line tools, shading tools and all that shit. Makes it look like an algorithm shit it out and not like someones passion shining through their work.
>>
>>11253170
fun game, ports are fine. But way too short.
>>
>>11253967
It's the perfect length for a fast paced high adrenaline game. The length is what makes it good, every other beat em up out there would drag the game by spamming the same enemies over and over but in Die Hard every single room and every single moment is unique.
>>
Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES)
Double Dragon Advance
The Punisher
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara
Aliens vs. Predator (Arcade)
Vendetta
Final Fight (Arcade)
Denjin Makai
Guardians: Denjin Makai II
>>
>>11245368
awful sound design and spongey enemies
>>
>>11251387
NTA, but for me, I found the Spider-Man beat 'em ups to just not have enough enemy variety. I played through Separation Anxiety with a friend and by the end, we were both just so sick of the same security guys over and over again. It at least ended on a high note with the boss gauntlet.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.