[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: soulgaianigma.jpg (82 KB, 280x584)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I really haven't liked a Nintendo console since the SNES. In those days I owned a Genesis, but played just as much SNES at friends houses and loved it and had my own by the 5th gen. Ever since that though, I never even wanted to play Nintendo consoles, some of that is blamed on third party going elsewhere but even when they brought back franchises I liked such as Metroid on GC, it seemed a lot less good than the classic

What did they lose other than obvious third party support?
>>
>>11246009
It's my favorite Nintendo console but the others are good too. If you don't like 3D games then there's always GBC, GBA, and (not retro yet) DS. GBA and DS in particular have some nice Castlevania and Mega Man titles, GBC has some surprisingly good licensed western titles.
>>
nintendo were the kings in the nes/snes eras. their consoles became secondary the moment they got actual competition from sony. the n64 and gamecube were both still worth getting, but that was the last time i bought a nintendo product. their terrible controllers certainly didnt help
>>
>>11246009
>What did they lose
the soul
>>
>>11246009
Maybe you just prefer the 2D games? Nintendo went pretty heavy with the 3D fever when it came to their home consoles.
>>
>>11246009
>What did they lose other than obvious third party support?

Same as everybody else: the severe hardware constraints that Japanese game writers usually need to prevent them from making every story a nightmarishly convoluted epic about teenagers overthrowing God and every fictional setting a garish jumble of fifty different real-world mythologies plus femboys, lolicons, and the most extravagantly ugly clothing imaginable. And also, the constraints that prevented 3D graphics and worlds from overshadowing all 2D stuff, usually to the detriment of good game design.

Occasionally they still got things right though, even if the best examples are in first-party games: Pikmin is a good new game concept in a charming setting; 3D F-Zero games do "garish jumble" the right way for once and are far better than the SNES original.

I don't really know what else there could be, anyway, except the loss of third-party developers.
>>
>>11246071
I definitely prefer 2D games but was open to 3D as well, it didn't stop me from playing them on other consoles even if I still did and do prefer the 2D era
>>
>>11246009
Same. I swear Nintendo retro circles are mostly Gamecube children now.
>>
>>11246009
I honestly think they hurt themselves a bit trying to push the new 3d paradigm. They were pumping out mediocre 3d games but people were buying then up because of the 3d demand.
>>
>>11246405
>Same as everybody else: the severe hardware constraints that Japanese game writers usually need to prevent them from making every story a nightmarishly convoluted epic about teenagers overthrowing God and every fictional setting a garish jumble of fifty different real-world mythologies plus femboys, lolicons, and the most extravagantly ugly clothing imaginable. And also, the constraints that prevented 3D graphics and worlds from overshadowing all 2D stuff, usually to the detriment of good game design.
Quite possibly the most succinct and straightforward answer I've seen on this topic.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.