[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rwo7t9ahinj51.jpg (1.12 MB, 2690x3840)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
this is retro
>>
GTAB
>>
File: 1661354939540.webm (1.45 MB, 800x600)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB WEBM
>>11248136
yes it is
>>
If Open Fortress is 'retro', then any WoW expansion is, in fact, retro.
>>
you can never go back
>>
>>11248669
And that's just fine
>>
>>11248136
this game ruined Warcraft 3
>>
>>11248697
Which ruined Warcraft 2
>>
>>11248697
Making an MMO is an impossibly difficult task. That they managed to come close to a satisfactory result is a miracle at all.
>>
>>11248701
Which ruined Starcraft
>>
>>11248697
What's crazy is that the early lore butchering WoW did looks like peak literature compared to later expansions
>>
>>11248701
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgteUAI4tZo
This Grom is unironically more badass than his wc3 iteration. A high pitched warrior worth of the name Hellscream
>>
>>11249028
He sounds like a clown whose nuts were crushed in a vice
>>
>PS2 graphics
>Limp Bizkit art style
>Leroy Jenkins tier gameplay of grinding all day
Now That's What I Call Retro Gaming
>>
>>11250149
>>Limp Bizkit art style
What does this mean
>>
>>11250198
Heavily exaggerated proportions with edgy shapes and bright neon parts that have ruined fantasy art for 2 decades
>>
>>11250230
> exaggerated proportions with edgy shapes
Fuck off, this is peak lowpoly soul.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlVSJ0AvZe0

Fantastic trailer
Shit game

I was so disappointed when the game looked nothing like the trailer. Boring gameplay as well and the behaviour of the other players killed all immersion.
>>
>>11250078
Yeah its great
>>
>>11251023
>I was so disappointed when a 2004 video game didn't look like it's CGI cutscenes
Are you unironically retarded?
>>
>>11251023
>the behaviour of the other players killed all immersion
Did you expect everyone to seriously RP or something?
>>
>>11248136
Vanilla WoW is, yes.
Does WoW Classic still have vanilla servers?
>>
>>11248591
I seethe every day that I missed out on World of Warcraft
>>
File: bloodmyst.png (2.94 MB, 2560x1440)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB PNG
>>11251673
Better at this point to find or make your own server to mess around in.
>>
>>11251753
Know any good private servers at least?
>>
>>11251706
Twice.

>>11251673
Unless SoD or hardcore count, not really. There's one vanilla server that people still play on but your options are to be fodder for completely maxed out characters to dunk on or to paypig streamers for bis gear.
>>
>>11251673
Yes, I’m the form of Hardcore WoW. Era servers are memes
>>
>>11251921
>>11251938
So there's nothing for casuals who missed out the first time around. Good to know.
>>
>>11251957
Season of Discovery is still pretty similar to the OG and doesn't have permadeath
>>
>>11252268
Might check that out. Thanks!
>>
>>11251706
If it makes you feel any better it used to be my favorite game and seeing the way blizzard raped it I wish I never played at all.
>>
>>11251614
Well I was a kid at the time. What I expect was Half-Life 2 like graphics and a Morrowind-like gameplay. Not Warcraft III with WASD controls+jumping.

>>11251642
Yes.
>>
I had a good time with this game back in the day but every single time ive returned to it (retail. classic era, hardcore, private servers) its just kind of an average rpg but theres a constant annoying buzz of other players saying dumb unfunny shit
the game is basically solved and its inherently competitive so there isnt really much creativity in doing stuff. ive also never really been that into how it looks either even back then.
even in Classic the game just feels really lonely and it makes you wonder why youre not just playing a offline rpg instead. the way people use to be online just doesnt exist anymore
>>
File: 1716890773153600.png (2.55 MB, 1920x1080)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB PNG
I preferred vanilla EQ. Can never recapture that no matter how perfectly the game is recreated unfortunately. Mindsets have changed, the games themselves are "solved" and boiled down to checklists, the players have become asshats, there's no feeling of novelty, the magic is all gone.
>>
>>11248136
My local friends all abandoned me on Ragnarok Online in switching over to WoW (beta) as they love Blizzard games. A couple of them still play it from time to time. I did join them in the late beta into launch that I even got the original collector's edition for the pet Zerg. It was addicting enough, as I did work my way up to the Warlord (horde) rank in PVP, but without being a part of the community the requirement for High Warlord for the weapons was out of reach, and eventually I started to feel playing the game was more of a job than enjoyable. I made the hard decision to quit cold turkey 8 months in from launch after the opening of the AQ gates and running through all the new raids. I was proud of the then unpopular build I ran, even winning the roll on a world boss drop for a typical item more suited for a different class but worked very well for my unique/unpopular build. I still have good memories of the game, still with some minor regrets in quitting but it was the right thing to do for me right before the first expansion.

Quitting WoW cold turkey was not easy, so I placated the urge in exploring Lineage 2, RO2 beta, New RO2 beta, random Korean MMOs which I forgot the names of, Guild Wars, and Guild Wars 2 for a bit. While I more fondly remember the original RO and PSO more, WoW is probably a good 3rd place to me.
>>
>>11248136
Destroyed by Kaplan and vertical progression. What they needed to do is literally "expand" with expansions, meaning just add stuff instead of obliterating content and focusing only on last patch being viable content. Now you have 1TB of stuff nobody wants.

Somehow dumb fucks playerbase gobbled this shit up and never confronted the breastmilk thieves about it.
>>
>>11254519
>EQ
about a year ago I modded the offline tutorial client on the original cd so it could load any zone in the game and holy shit so much soul

I thought it was just nostalgia that the game used to look better and that in reality it always looked like the washed out garbage on the modern live client, but no, it's a completely different aesthetic with the original lighting system and the baked-in vertex lighting intact (the modern client seems to just ignore it now?), looks fucking amazing in darker zones like neriak and guk, plus the original textures are way more cohesive than the mismatched textures of the "hd" textures updates

wish I kept a CRT monitor around for the full effect
>>
Most of the classes are straight up unfinished and some even operate contrary to design. The talent trees are lazy uncreative and limiting. You're often left scrounging for quests. Progression is really linear.
>>
>>11251706
The game world was great, the shekel-grubbing nature of subscription-based gameplay was not.
>>
>>11254732
>shekel-grubbing nature of subscription-based gameplay
wat? a flat subscription-based model where everyone pays the same for the same experience is the least shekel-grubbing, way better than the "free-to-play" wtih a cash shop shit most MMOs have devolved into

look at LotRO, you're basically a 3rd worlder unless you drop $500+ USD into the cash shop -and- pay an "optional" subscription on top of that
>>
>>11251706
why? it was downfall of gaming, you didn't miss anything. if anything you better off for not bearing pleasant memories associated with it as it got destroyed real time
>>
At least WoW tried to solve the issue of gameplay getting significantly worse the more active a server is. I get that EQ devs were naive about how players would play the game, but for some reason later MMOs copied those blatantly broken mechanics. MMOs should be better the more players there are, not worse. It was so stupid trying to play when every decent exp camp was taken, there was a necro perma camping every named, and raid bosses were locked to some artificial GM-enforced kill schedule exclusively for the top 2-3 guilds per server.
>>
File: boxelf.jpg (564 KB, 1024x768)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
>>11248136

That cover image sucks so much. The WarCraft III box elf is much prettier. What were they thinking
>>
File: 1722271131638098.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>11254932
for me, it's wc2 goblins
>>
>>11254960
It's half WC3's fault, but I really hate how watered down the horde races were in WoW.
>nooo you can't have brutal bloodthirsty monsters as player characters, they need to be noble savages!
WC2 was peak horde and what they should've aimed for.
>>
>>11251706
same, but realistically I was too young and poor to afford a monthly subscription + I was sharing a pc with my brothers so it was never meant to be
"luckily" I managed to experience the novelty of MMOs by playing shitty f2p korean games
>>
>>11251915
Turtle WoW is good for Vanilla
>>
File: mastersglaive.jpg (2.37 MB, 2560x1440)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>11251915
>>11256130
I recall this being the server another anon recommended a few months back, he was seeing if anyone else would be interested in running through it.
>>
>>11248638
Uh, open fortress isn't retro lol
>>
>>11256258
It'd be fun to do full hardcore vagrant mode exhaustion slow and steady with people but leveling with others is always a nightmare
>>
wish they'd do a ffxi classic server, preferably with quality of life enhancements

yes I'm aware of private servers, I'm not interested in contributing to some admin team's teenage power fantasy of having gm powers or putting serious time investment into a server that could be shut down at any moment
>>
this game sucks ass, always did
>>
>>11249018
The only thing I always found retarded was having 'good guys' undead allied with the orcs. I just never got on board with that.

WoW also makes the lich king seem pretty puny considering how little of the world he actually controls, even in Northrend.
>>
>>11256498
That and going ‘hardcore’ may be too much for me. I wouldn’t mind it as much in Diablo 1 or 2.
I’d just want to level another warrior, maybe help in tanking some classic 5mans.
>>
>>11258474
i just want to have that kind of fear and making sure im ready and the slow careful progression. im usually not a challenge mode person but i think hardcore adds a lot
but other times i know its too bullshit. internet is spotty. servers go down. mobs respawn right on top of you. a lot of dumb stuff like that happens where if i was hardcore id be pissed
so i flip flop a lot
i guess i like the dream and having it feel like some kind of shared dnd campaign
>>
>>11254932
holy s o u l
>>
>>11254963
oh yeah that trope is the worst. they cranked it up to 11 by now, but then again, what didn't these fags ruin; it's as if it was a conscious effort, controlled demolition. even the in-game paintings of women were turned into still life, lmao
>>
>>11251706
It got raped to death like the other Anons said the only thing you did was spare yourself the pain, it's a like a boomer that grew up during the 50s and 60s visiting his old area in Chicago.
>>
>>11254741
I think he means the bottlenecks on progression (weekly resets, how new dungeons are slow dripped through patches, etc.). but yeah, the "f2p" (obfuscated p2w) model is worse
>>
>>11248136
Mining copper in silverpine at 3am
>>
File: silverpinedock.png (3.36 MB, 2560x1440)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB PNG
>>11258654
>i guess i like the dream and having it feel like some kind of shared dnd campaign
Respectable. I'm also realizing how much more predictable and steady a 'hardcore' WoW leveling experience would be compared to either Diablo, there's just a bigger time commitment. You might end up selling me on the idea as long as it's a PvE server.
>>11258782
Nice place.
>>
Vanilla is an all timer as long as you stay away from the sweats. It's kind of unmatched for exploring a huge world and wandering around and fishing and other cozy stuff, but the minute you start worrying about being "viable" and raiding its pure dogshit.
>>
>>11258654
>>11258818
>You might end up selling me on the idea as long as it's a PvE server
I'd gladly join too. let's try and organize something here if you want brehs, it won't happen by itself:
>>>vm/1443186
>>
>>11258880
fml
>>>/vm/1443186
>>
>>11251706
I don't, this game ruined MMOs forever and in a lot of ways high fantasy worlds as well.
Still is, in fact.

Fuck WoW, not retro.
>>
>>11258890
regardless of how you feel about it it is retro
>>
>>11254726
This was only true at launch. By patch 1.7 this was no longer the case.
>>
>>11259269
not really theres a lot of stuff that is still useless even to tbc and honestly you could make an argument they never figured it out.
i never really felt 100% satisfied with the classes wow offers
>>
>>11254919
>At least WoW tried to solve the issue of gameplay getting significantly worse the more active a server is.
Was already a solved issue in CoH and FFXI by that point.
>>
>>11259273
FFXI is so fucking cool
>>
>>11258771
Time-gating isn't really about subscription-based models, it's to protect players from themselves. The worst thing they could do is force the high end competitive scene to grind repetitive shit for hundreds of hours every time there's a patch or fall behind. As far as dungeons and stuff go, of course people can consume content faster than it can be created, that's not a pay model issue.

My only issue with time-gating in all MMOs is that the implementation just fucks your over if you don't log in for a day or week. It should be more like a cap on progression that increases with time, not "use your daily/weekly quota or permanently be behind everyone else until the content becomes irrelevant".
>>
>>11259278
i think you are right. if you get into a game 5 weeks late you should be able to do those 5 weeks worth of time gating in a day or two rather than just be permanently 5 weeks behind everyone
>>
>>11259273
>Was already a solved issue in CoH and FFXI by that point.
wtf, did you even play FFXI? that game had massive server overcrowding issues - the limited number of good exp camps were always taken, nameds were always camped (usually bot groups), every mining node had a player/bot on top of it that would claim it before it even spawned in for a legitimate player, people would steal the hnms or whatever they were called that you spawned with your own items because retarded devs let that be a thing, the raid scene was all open world and composed once again of instant claim bots and 3am batphone bs if your guild's bots got the claim, literally everything about the game got worse the more people there were
>>
>>11248136
Yes
>>
>>11260953
I always thought it was weird they chose undead mage and gnome warlock instead of the other way around
>>
>>11258375
>The only thing I always found retarded was having 'good guys' undead allied with the orcs.

The point was there are no "good guys" in warcraft. They all have their beliefs and do both good and bad.

The Forsaken are remnants of Lorderon that maintained their willpower, but many still have gone insane, and later go on to commit literal war crimes.

The orcs were originally enslaved by demons, went on to commit atrocities, but now just want to find their own in a world they've been stranded in.

Alliance are no different. The dwarves we get to play as are just the dwarves that won the power struggle between the other 2 dwarf clans, so they reign above them through might. The humans are completely anti-horde at almost no expense, but they have deep seeded trauma from past wars.

There are no good guys in WoW, or the warcraft universe in general.
>>
>>11258880
Is anyone playing
>>
File: hellfire.png (3.82 MB, 2560x1440)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB PNG
>>11261293
Seems we're still deciding on a faction, but it might be through Turtle around Tuesday.
>>
>>11261553
I got banned from that server for shitposting in global chat a couple years ago when it started to become popular because the jannies are even touchier than on 4chins but it was in what I played a pretty good experience similar enough to the original game with some quality of life stuff.
>>
>>11261648
>the jannies are even touchier than on 4chins
LOL yeah I can imagine. bypass the ban if you can, we'll be starting from scratch anyway
>>
My computer couldn't run it so I never got into WoW. I'm glad I didn't because otherwise my life could've gone very wrong
Jk my life went wrong either way
>>
>>11263539
I didn't get into it either but only because I thought it was a shit game. I still don't get the appeal of it.
>2006
>faggot friends at HS convince me to try WoW
>there was some free 15 day trial thing going on at the time
>pick some gay bald gnome
>spent hours just wandering around snowscapes killing wolves
>never renew and move on
It was so boring, I really don't understand. Worse still, someone else convinced me to give it another try when Classic came out and it was basically the same experience. I picked an Orc this time, thinking maybe I just didn't enjoy it because I was alliance the first time, and instead of snowscapes it was shitscapes of dry barren desert. You just walk up to enemies spaced apart by 500 feet each, agonizingly slowly kill them, loot the body and then go sell stuff for a pittance and repeat. Getting a single level takes forever too. The few quests I did were boring, almost nobody talked and everything about the world looked depressing as fuck. WoW is a shit fucking game and I can only imagine it got popular based on retards playing it as their first MMO and not knowing any better.
>>
>>11263775
During the call of duty vs battlefield battle of some yrs ago, my closest friends would say "too many customization options" or "long marches in the desert"

So i can relate somewhat
>>
The low level shit is boring like the game it was largely based off of, Everquest.
>>
>Low-level s***
sounds like "micro" from starcraft, ie micro-management, micro-manuveres, looks amd feels like basketball or drills

What is some of this big picture stuff anon
>>
>>11263775
You just hate fun. It's awesome. Genuinely the best game ever made
>>
>>11263816
I don't hate fun, I hate a terrible MMO with nursing home tier gameplay and retarded shoulderpads artstyle (compliments of Samwise Redditier) that was so derivative and soulless as to be propped up by the likes of Robin Williams and Ozzy Osbourne on cringe TV spots that ran for years. You want a good MMO? Play Ragnarok Online. Hell, even Runescape takes a fat dump on WoW.
>>
File: 1696921750869773.jpg (124 KB, 653x523)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>11263829
>WoW bad
>Ragnarok Online good
>>
>>11263829
Yeah but I want a huge adventure in 3D
>>
>>11263908
RO was what an actual MMO should be
>make character
>can immediately go grind on enemies that die quickly and still have a chance to drop extremely valuable items even at a low level
>can meet anyone, anywhere and easily party with them
>can progress your character into new classes with meaningful differences beyond simple rock paper scissors "healer, tank, warrior" bullshit
>can make a merchant character, start your own shop and sell items anywhere in the world, even start a business forging and selling your own weapons
>join a guild and engage in multi-hundred person guild wars to take hold of physical locations that actually reward your guild with territory and items
Ah right, this is shit because you posted a cringe pepe and fell in love with spending 2 minutes at a time smacking walking sponges spaced a mile apart for 2 gold pieces just because you saw a purple elf woman with semi-exposed asscheeks.
>>
>>11263938
I don't like wows aesthetics or lore or even much of its game play but there's just no other game that offers what it offers.
>>
>>11263952
tell me what WoW offers that RO or other, better MMOs don't offer.
>>
>>11263970
>Just big huge adventure.
So in other words, you have no argument. RO offers "big huge adventure", too. It has a world arguably larger than WoW with hundreds of maps and dungeons, thousands of enemy types, thousands of weapons with all sorts modifiers and stats, not to mention the ability to engage with players in ways that WoW never allowed like setting up a shop on some random street corner and becoming the source of potions and resources for an entire region. It sounds like you've never played RO and you're talking out of your fucking ass.
>I like a strong focus on group content and dependency.
You mean like in RO, where you can party up with a half dozen other people to take down an MVP monster, or join a guild and coordinate with hundreds of other people to conquer physical places in the game that you'll then control, have your guild's user-made logo displayed on, reap rewards from, and then have to defend from attacking guilds the following week? I repeat, you are talking out of your ass.
>>
>>11264001
>dude WoW offers so much more than RO!
>like what?
>uhhh like adventure and stuff
>RO has that too
>duuude you're like, harshing my viiibe maaaan
Kill yourself.
>>
File: bloodfurnace2.png (2.91 MB, 2560x1440)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB PNG
>>11264001
I think you could've seen what was coming with
>>other, better MMOs don't offer.
>>
God, vanilla was so fun. But I think I’m done with it. It’s nice to look back every once in a while though…

I’m excited for arenas in mop classic. I’ll have a good time even though I know I’ll quit in a month.
>>
>>11263938
>RO was what an actual MMO should be
>run a bot for 2 years and maybe you'll come back to that rare drop item that you need to have a functional build
>>
File: 1542146346611.jpg (52 KB, 641x556)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
To me the best part of WoW was always the quests. I could never get behind the "dude grind lmao" MMOs, it was always nice to have a consistent stream of objectives to complete as you're playing. If you actually read the quest text, which I understand most people don't, it was also a constant source of worldbuilding that exposed you to all the local folklore, troubles, and politics of every zone. As opposed to like, Everquest or Runescape, where you could play the game for 5000 hours and have no fucking idea what the game is even about.

Incidentally I'd always drop the game every time I approached max level and the game shifted gears away from questlines and towards just grinding for dungeon/raid/pvp gear.
>>
File: fat_guy_sleeping.jpg (56 KB, 612x408)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>11265398
>quests
>worldbuilding
>>
>>11265398
youre right to me thats what wow is and i will never ever fucking understand how people who dont care about rpgs or any of that became such a big part of wow but it definitely ruined the game
>>
Weird to know that are people here who were Teens or Adults in fucking 2004 you could be my Grandpa
>>
File: 1529361614876.gif (84 KB, 340x324)
84 KB
84 KB GIF
>>11265409
My friend you are on /vr/
>>
File: 11125213123123.png (1.48 MB, 1107x771)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>11261293
>>11261553
lets go
>>
>>11261114
I'm just not sold on the idea of having undead who aren't bent on spreading disease and death on all of Azeroth. And orcs forming an alliance with such creatures repulses me.

The alliance between the humans and night elves makes more sense. The orcs, having permanently settled in Kalimdor, represent a clear threat to the night elves and the order of their world. They're not in love with the humans but it's an 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation.
>>
>>11251673
i'm apart of some vanilla private server discords but i haven't logged onto discord in over a year.
>>
>>11265398
Where do you read about quests at the prima official strategy guide?
>>
>>11248136
Best geared rogue on horde side of my server going into TBC expansion. Before TBC launched I was giving away shit. Helping old leveling friends in shit guilds get thunder furry with the rocks they needed from the goblins. I was just throwing away the guild bank basically. Quit after I hit level cap in TBC. This game was only fun in vanilla. A huge waste of time but fun raiding naxx 40 man. We didn’t clear it but it was fun. The alliance guild Crimson may have cleared it out come close. Best thing I ever did in this game was solo stealth trash after twin emps to get that dagger or the lava hop trough BRD for that hit trinket with 2 rogues and a Druid. Also getting people the bar man shaker was a fun run.
>>
I'm sorry you guys are convinced that raiding is not being lured like in rts games. True sorrow
>>
Stop it. Get some help
>>
>>11248697
This game ruined MMORPGs. But it's still a good game. The expansions are dosghit, however.
>>
>>11265902
It was just a refined Everquest, I don't see how it ruined MMOs.
>>
>>11251915
Warmane.
>>
File: 1712580216823199.png (145 KB, 798x644)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>11265562
>hardcore mode in an mmorpg
doesn't that just mean playing like a loser, never engaging in content that's even remotely challenging, and never joining a group where you can die due to other peoples' mistakes?
>>
>>11266113
Be enlightened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvK8fua6O64
>>
>>11266623
His argument is effectively just that it was so successful that every other retarded faggot making these types of games just tried to copy it to chase money. Fair enough but that doesn't really change that it was just largely a knockoff of what came before it. You could have made that argument about Everquest too since it was vastly more financially successful than Ultima Online
>>
File: 1720618664314.jpg (268 KB, 1280x1024)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>11248136
I fucking love Blackfathom Deeps
>>
>>11266634
But that is precisely the point, It was the most successful, doesn't matter if it copied 60% or 90% of Everquest, it had the perfect mix of original and copy to make it a super commercial success at a global level, while Everquest was not.
If it was just a "Knockoff" it would only have had around the same financial success and industry relevance as Everquest had, it didn't, it was greater.
And that's why everyone tried to copy it.

If you want specifics, you need to think on a more granular level, think of the class, race and skill systems. Think of the visual design of the games, the marketing and fanbases of the development studios awaiting to play such games.
When you really think about it, WoW is a game with much more mass appeal, while other games copied wow because of it's financial success. WoW had to become a financial success in the first place.
And it did so by being easy to pick up and understand, having an artstyle that was compelling to the majority of the mmo player base at the time.
While some systems where shared between the two games and even more in-depth in EQ, they were much more understandable and friendly in WoW.
The Alliance vs Horde Dicotomy also lent it self to player pride and easy self marketing.
And Piggybacking on a pre-existing and very succesful IP, was also a really big factor no matter how you look at it too.
>>
File: 1657998197535.jpg (298 KB, 1680x987)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>11248136
Im a Hordefag for life but Dwarves and their surrounding zones are top tier kino
>>
>>11266532
Yeah, depending on the MMO you either farm the most trivial content that still gives exp or you run box characters to do combat while your "main" sits back in safety.
>>
I still remember when WoW was the hot new thing coming out and Blizzard sold it on the idea that you can shape the history of the world. Like be the first human to make friends with an orc and make history.
>>
>>11265562
>>11266532
nah, we're treating it more like an adventure; if we die, we die. if anyone wants to join, we're level 5 and reached Thunderbrew Distillery. we'll resume at around 5 PM EDT
>>
>>11266532
or you can play it simply non-suicidally and enjoy the thrill of knowing there's actual stakes if you die
>>
>>11266532
There are people that clear every raid weekly on hardcore mode.
Petrification Flasks pretty much nullify any danger, anyway. If shit goes wrong, the raid disbands to activate the automatic 1 minute instance kick timer and then they all pop a Petri Flask to become immune for the timer. You basically lose 1-2 people and these guys all have backup characters ready to go at this point.
>>
>>11267261
petrification should just be banned
>>
>>11267261
>There are people that clear every raid weekly on hardcore mode
Doubt, I've been in enough tryhard guilds across multiple MMOs to know that such a guild would fall apart the second a healer let a tank die
>>
>>11267275
>let a tank die
Simply doesn't happen, and even if it did that tank player has 7 backup warriors ready to go.
The game is 20 years old, everything is mapped out in detail.
>>
>>11267304
man you make everything sound so boring like why even bother playing
>>
>>11267307
Why indeed
>>
>>11267307
For some people, imposing a tidy system of order upon things is the most enjoyable activity
>>
>>11266668
I like too many of the classic dungeons. This one is a favorite.
>>11267307
>man you make everything sound so boring like why even bother playing
This is a board with games older than WoW that are as “figured out”, so I would hope you’re playing for fun.
>>
>>11267304
bruh, you are deranged, why do you come into a thread just to lie about your weird hardcore fantasy raid team? and if you're playing some private server that's so watered down that nobody ever dies on raids, then why are you playing? that's not a game that that point
>>
File: orderatallcost.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>11267316
>Sauron hands typed this
>>
>>11267519
not him but hes right here. you dont know what youre talking about
>>
>>11258842
Absolutely true, I played classic as my first wow and mmo experience and it was fantastic - until I did raiding. While I accomplished what I wanted to, it was miserable and made me despise the average wow "veteran".
>>
>>11265602
>I'm just not sold on the idea of having undead who aren't bent on spreading disease and death on all of Azeroth
That's what the Forsaken were in vanilla, their race description all but spells out
>THIS FACTION IS EVIL
You start an undead character and every quest giver is be moaning how oppressed they are while giving you a quest to poison babies or something. Some quest givers wouldn't even talk to undead players because they suspect your faction is faction is behind the issue (and they're right). Too bad they immediately began back peddling this and continued with every subsequent expansion.
>>
File: 1474233698022.jpg (1.02 MB, 1920x1080)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>11267898
The closer you get to tryhards, the worse any game becomes. This is why the best possible experience you can get out of WoW is just leveling.
>>
File: pyrewood.png (1.92 MB, 1919x1079)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
>>11251957
>>11251921
>>11251673
In Classic Era as it's called, servers have been lumped together in two PvE clusters and PvP clusters. There are still people who play but it's not a massive amount of players. I hear that the PvP cluster has more boosting and GDKP (bid on loot with gold) runs. Haven't seen a single one on PvE.
I play on the EU PvE cluster (on Horde which is smaller) and I found a group with two others to do quests in Stonetalon in, and I joined a guild that were still progressing in Naxxramas.

It's 100% possible to play and even reach 60, but the population isn't particularly massive.
>>
>>11267898
>>11267923
I dont understand at all why wow players specifically have such a problem with this. I play a ton of multiplayer games and revival/classic stuff for dead games. WoW is definitely the number one game where players are utterly obsessed with being optimal even though the game is so fucking old and not actually that demanding. They're so anti-fun. WoW genuinely feels like a game with zero freedom if you interact with what the community wants. Let alone if you play something that actively triggers them.
NO NIGHT ELF PRIESTS
NO TANK PALADINS

play the classes and races and specs I want you to play!
>>
>>11267519
It's not "watered down", people are simply more knowledgeable than they used to be.
Vanilla wow is and was an extremely easy game (and that's a good thing, btw). The main obstacle was internet connections.
Really no idea why this thing in particular is making you sperg out so hard. You need to relax, man.
>>
>>11266668
>>11267380
this was always my favorite too. the best early dungeon for sure
>>
>>11268108
I think that South Park episode captured the retardation of WoW obsessives pretty well. Back then most of these fucks wouldn’t even do regular dungeons with you if you were the wrong race/class. And they’d always have spergouts if you did anything besides “need before greed” on loot.
>>
>>11265409
>go to an old people home
>be surprised at old people being there
Did you get lost on your way to your sharties and discords?
>>
File: bfd_execute.png (885 KB, 1024x800)
885 KB
885 KB PNG
>>11268883
I’m biased towards the other dungeons that aren’t as linear, but BFD is still great and its nice having some variety between ‘straight forward’ and ‘open’ dungeon progression.
>>
I want to play wow with people:(
>>
>>11268883
I have a soft spot for the early pseudo dungeons with some verticality like the one in Nelf starting area, going in there clueless/alone could be a humbling experience
>>
File: IMG_3753.jpg (391 KB, 1357x1890)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>11248136
Low-to-mid level questing (Durotar/Mulgore, Barrens, Stonetalon, Ashenvale, Thousand Needles) was always better on Horde than Alliance.
The world is vast dangerous nature and beasts that you conquer and you were taught to rely on other players more harshly and better. The Alliance questing is too linear.
>>
>>11265409
How could I be your grandpa, did your mom tell you he went ouf ro milk and never returned?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.