[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sc.jpg (184 KB, 640x635)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
Besides SoulCalibur and Mortal Kombat, are there any other retro fighting games with good single-player content?
>>
>>11250442
EHRGEIZ: God Bless The Ring
>>
>>11250442
Power Quest
>>
Tekken 3 has the beat em up game

>good
nvm
>>
Console version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 has a "story mode", it basically amounts to just select battles having dialogue before and after matches but that's about as good as it got in the 90's

Fatal Fury games pre-Real Bout also tried to have more story elements with cutscenes and shit. Also, Rival Schools console version has story dialogue before and after matches too if you use the team of characters all from the same school, and it's pretty charming but maybe it's just my personal nostalgia for that which is heavy
>>
>>11250573
Should also mention, on top of the team based stories Rival Schools also had unique "good" and "bad" endings depending on how you cleared the last fights. I know that probably doesn't seem that impressive today but a fighting game that gave me a reason to beat it with every character twice was quite impressive to me back then
>>
Tobal 1&2, Soul Edge
>>
isn't there a sf3 version that has an rpg-like mode?
>>
>>11250573
IIRC the real single player of SFA3 is the world tour mode which has tons of cute gimmick matches you progress through, like having to fight two enemies on screen at once.
>>
>>11250953
I think that's the PSP or DC version, I only ever played the PS1 version as far as console ports, which doesn't have gimmick matches in World Tour but is like I described with the character dialogues
>>
>>11250442
Japanese version of Project Justice had tons of cool weird shit including a board game and a visual novel. Even the English version has a higher effort than usual story mode for the time.

Tech Romancer had great story modes that were all parodies of / homages to a variety of classic shows and anime tropes. Was confusing to me at first since they re-use characters in different roles in different stories but you quickly get used to it. It's cool that you get to occasionally make choices that affect the story of the game.

Power Stone 2 had the single-player Adventure mode where every item you used would be added to a collection in the store, which was insanely elaborate. You could fuse items together to create new ones, and there were hundreds of them. I was completely addicted to it at one point.

Not that retro but I liked the story mode in Guilty Gear X2: Reloaded, where there are different paths based on different match stipulations.

Tobal is, uh, unique. Dunno about good but it's interesting I guess.
>>
>>11250973
>>11250953
That would be the Dreamcast version, which for my money is probably the best one. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution had this really interesting thing where you could fight AI opponents who were based on match data of real life players at Japanese tournaments.
>>
>>11250442
All the Guilty Gear. VF4E. Tekken 5 is also okay.
>>
>>11250973
I could have sworn I played it on PSX and remembered world tour mode but maybe it was a different port
But I think the ultimate last version they ever did with every character like Eagle and Ingrid was on PSP
>>
>>11250442
Yes, it may be tedious but I think that slowly learning new overkills in eternal champions on Sega CD is a fun and novel 1p fighting experience.
>>
>>11250442
>mortal kombat
>good single player
There are tons of better choices then mortal kombat.
>>
>>11251096
There's a reason MK was the most popular alongside Tekken in the 00s when the genre died. The 3D era games always had tons of features keeping you playing, while all your normie buttlord friends ran off to Halo
>>
>>11251096
MK is decent at everything but core fighting game gameplay. That's why Shaolin Monks is the best game in the series overall.
>>
>>11251126
Only reason is praised is nostalgia and first american fighting game and nothing else.
There are far superior games from that age with better gameplay yet not appreciated, yuuyuu hakusho for megadrive is far better, on snes even sailor moon fighting games are superior to mortal kombat, then you have art of fighting, dead dance, battle master, super variable geo and so many more that is kinda hard to understand the obsession with mortal kombat when there are better choices.
Even ranma games are far superior (used to date on EVO).
>>
>>11250942
I think it's called World Tour. Loved it.
>>
>>11250973
>>11251046
It was on PS1, I had it and played it a lot.
>>
>>11250976
I got VF4Evo on ebay for super cheap a long time ago but also a long time after the ps2 and the single player was really fun. Got hooked on it for a while.
>>
>>11251171
Dude, he said it wasn't because of the gameplay, but the content. Me and a friend played the hell out of Deadly Alliance for a while just trying to do everything.
>>
>>11250461
fpbp.
sad that nobody actually played it. one of the only fighting games i've ever enjoyed.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201 KB, 1280x720)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>11250442
The godzilla games are pretty cool, I've only played Destroy All Monsters on the Gamecube, but I keep meaning to play the other on PS2.
https://youtu.be/jgsiUUZaUjA?t=444

https://youtu.be/FWXp8evzwDk?t=457

https://youtu.be/iCKAv8l88iI?t=284

I think the games have a lot of characters you unlock as you play
>>
>>11251917
pretty sure that's from alpha 3
>>
File: KengoPS2.png (757 KB, 1254x603)
757 KB
757 KB PNG
>>11250442
Kengo: Master of Bushido on PS2 is good if you like sword fighting stuff.
https://youtu.be/WKXSLnIXI9c?t=100

You can create a character and do different training mini games to increase skills.
>>
>>11251141
Kind of agree with this. I kinda loved Deadly Alliance at the time it came out despite not liking MK's actual fighting game mechanics, partially just because the krypt was so cool.
>>
>>11250442
kind of minimal examples compared to those but i liked the chaos tower mode in this game, even if some challenges are fucking bullshit. tekken 4 and 5's arcade modes with the beginning and ending stories motivated me to learn how to sort of play all the characters too.
>>
>>11251940
>descent at everything.
>he didn't said about gameplay.
Dude don't answer simply to get (you).
>>
>>11250442
Smash bros maybe. Kinda depends on which one you pick. Brawl and Ultimate's Single players are long whereas 64 and Melee are mostly one-and-done's. And Smash 4 is Smash 4 so :/
>>
>>11252167
Which part of "fighting games" you don't understand?
>>
>>11252168
...fuck :/
>>
>>11252093
My nigga your poor English led you to completely misinterpreting his post. Just trust me on that and leave it there.
>>
>>11251949
The PS2 version of Godzilla Unleashed is just Save the Earth but with the maps and the story mode from the Wii version. It also runs like shit on an actual PS2 and was obviously a rush job, with all but one of the new characters removed (and the only one that remained uses Orga's moveset) and the story mode cut slightly to compensate. Not only that, throwing other players doesn't work for a laege majority of the cast, Gigan doesn't use his Final Wars design and Biollante isn't playable in the PS2 version despite being in Save the Earth's game files as 99% finished. The wii version is also buggy and requires waggle but I think someone made a mod for it so that you could play it on a normal control.

The one thing that the PS2 version has over the wii is that Battra is playable... but he plays exactly the same as Mothra.
>>
>>11250582
And the Japanese version of Rival Schools has a full dating sim in it. I don't know if it's been translated yet.
>>
>>11252005
I was gonna reply there was none, but yeah this one is pretty cool. But I wouldn't call it a fighting game, more of a simulator
>>
Pocket Fighter on PS1 had a cool mode where you trained your AI fighter against other computer opponents.
>>
File: 1000001589.png (391 KB, 591x666)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
>>11250442
There was some game I never played called Tobal #2 that had some sort of dungeon exploration mode. I saw a few years later it was selling for like $300, I can only imagine what it sells for now. An interesting thing is that even though what I read about it seemed interesting to me, I never bothered emulating it and most likely never will.
>>
>>11251096
You didn’t play Deception.
>>
>>11251096
The 6th gen MK games are actually good. I didn't expect that back in the day.
>>
>>11252092
Is this a good introduction to Darkstalkers?
>>
i really liked soul blade's edge master mode.
>>
>>11252414
Konquest is a nice bonus and all but replaying it recently I realized it’s nothing but boring “training” (going down a character’s movelist with no guide on when to use what move) and walking around with a guide to open treasure chests at certain times to unlock characters and costumes. I always get sick of it when I get to the part where you’re jumping around realms after unlocking Orderrealm
>>
Bushido Blade 1 and 2
>>
>>11254179
If you plan to get any further into the series, it's pretty inaccurate to the source games that it claims to be recreating. But it's okay as an introduction, I suppose.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.