[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: heretic_90247c65f0.png (146 KB, 512x512)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>what if every other enemy was either an iron lich or a nitrogolem
>every level is a retarded scavenger hunt to find random walls/floors that lower after crossing an arbitrary trigger somewhere in the level
What a dogshit expansion. Talk about a downgrade.
>>
you could say it's heretical to the fans
>>
Better iron liches and nitrogolems than gargoyles and plain golems like in the original episodes.
>enter a room
>shoot at golems for 5 minutes in perfect safety until they finally die
>enter next room
>>
>>11250817
Why does this cover look AI generated?
>>
>>11250817
Better than Hexen.
>>
>>11250817
Don't care I remember liking it. I liked Heretic a lot in general.
>>11250843
For the most part, yeah. But I do like a lot of what Hexen was going for. It came after so it also is a lot more detailed and the few monsters it does have I thought were great.
>>
>>11250843
>muh Hexen
Filtered.
>>
>>11250817
I mean I think it's shitty but at the same time, it was made for people good enough to beat Heretic.

>>11250843
>Better than Hexen.
That's saying about as little as one can say in a statement.
>>
It's a great episode but what kills it is the sheer amount of enemies they throw at you on the later difficulty settings, it's absolutely insane and makes the game really messy. That's why I usually play that episode on the 3rd difficulty even though I do 4th for the rest of the game.
>>
>>11250835
It doesn’t and your zoomer head is filled with AI images so now you can’t help yourself.
>>
I've learned about the expansion after I beat the game. But did I really beat it? I mean I got a cutscene where I defeated D'sparil, what else is there to do?
>>
No matter what you say, I loved Heretic back in the day. BTW you might say WItchaven was crap too but I liked it as well.
>>
>>11250835
its dont
its just that your tenuous grasp on reality has been fully severed. by an algorithm. again.
>>
>>11250817
I love the tome of power or whatever its called. I just wish they had made a way you could get those weapon boosts without needing the tome all the time and more often. Even if its a temporary power up that would only last for a bit and for one weapon. Some of them become objectively much better weapons with that item and might otherwise be bland or even sort of shitty. Two that come to my mind are the dragon claw which is pretty much just this games machine gun. With the tome it is a thing of destruction destroying all the monsters. Another is the phoenix rod which turns from a rocket launcher but not as good as Doom's to a really good flamethrower. From what I remember every weapon got much better with the tome.
>>
File: 23er123r.gif (1.04 MB, 353x200)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>11250843
>>
>>11252821
what if you think its dont be like it is, but its do
>>
>>11253638
its dont tho
>>
>>11250817
Could've been worse.
Could've been Ultimate Doom.
>>
It's made only for people obsessed with Heretic.

I thought the expansion was horrible the first time I played it. But after playing the first 3 episodes a billion times I learned to appreciate it and eventually adore it. Episodes 4/5 are an incredibly brutal and unrelenting experience, not meant for casuals.

Playing on the highest difficulty is pure kino. There's no other game like it.
>>
Any Heretic pwads worth playing?
>>
>>11254376
Masters of Chaos
>>
>>11254350
I'm pretty sure that only the first levels before you build up the arsenal are hard.
>>
>>11250843
Fuck you
>>
>>11254350
Outside of the iron lich closets and the fiftieth room with sniping nitrogolems, I do like the combat. You can play through most of the original episodes just using the crossbow, but in the expansion you're forced to switch weapons much more often.
>>
>>11254376
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143912-cacoward-winning-heretic-wads/
>>
>>11250817
Filtered, E4 and E5 are chad only.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.