[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mol.png (383 KB, 875x477)
383 KB
383 KB PNG
What makes this boss so memorable?
>>
>>11251331
pure gameplay, alttp in general was like a funbomb to play back then
>>
>>11251331
It's boss #2, right? I think being an early boss makes it more memorable for some reason. I also remember the first boss and ganon.
>>
File: towerofhera.jpg (162 KB, 960x621)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>11251331
Design stands out, big sprites forming a chain like that wasn't ultra common, music/soundfont, it can easily kill you if low hp, good point in the game
>>
File: Puppet Ganon.png (529 KB, 566x800)
529 KB
529 KB PNG
I love that they incorporated it into Puppet Ganon.
>>
>>11251331
ALttP is the only Zelda game I've bothered to beat but never had the desire to go back to.
>the boring intro sequence that's longer and more linear than OoT
>the chibi art style with thick outlines and gaudy colors
>retarded shit like the bucktooth skulls and "8" rocks
>every room of every dungeon is just a barren square with no personality
>tiny overworld with no exploration, they try to make up for this with the dark world but it's just a poop and pee colored version of the regular world that's even less fun to explore
it isn't an inherently bad game, i can't even pinpoint one single egregious flaw that ruins it or anything. it's just the death of 1000 cuts. it does nothing exceptionally well, other than maybe the intro sequence and title screen which are admittedly pretty cool.

also i wouldn't call it "bad" necessarily, but some of the music has a very unsettling vibe. see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfLV8ZxmqY&list=PL78C7BAABDB14E289&index=14
>>
>>11251338
What gameplay? What makes it memorable is that its phre RNG designed to waste your time. Fuck this boss.
>>
>>11251449
pure"
>>
>>11251449
>RNG designed to waste your time
this fight quite literally takes 10 seconds if you dont fall
>>
>>11251449
Yeah man. That's what every kid was saying when they played it. "omg this RNG is so ghetto! Bad game design!"

>>11251331
Because he's weird and squiggly and it's frustrating (especially for kids) if you fall off a lot. Also notably harder than most 2D Zelda bosses (again, by kid standards).
>>
"A Link to the Past" (, as it is called in the English language-version), isn't very memorable. To me at least. I recall the first two game with more reverence and frequency.
>>
>>11251331
annoying as fuck and not in a cool way like blind
>>11251340
#3 actually but i see why you'd think that because the second boss is also a worm
>>
>>11251331
it's the only boss I saw before I dropped the game because it's boring
>>
File: legzelda3-1-240918-091915.png (2.5 MB, 1440x1080)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB PNG
>>11251331
It's pure retro game. You need old skills to beat it.
>>
The most memorable thing is he's an asshole that force you to start the fight over WITHOUT killing you.
What a bastard.
>>
>>11251331
It looks kinda 3d-ish. A bit out of place. Same with Zelda being caught in that rotating diamond. Those flagship titles of Nintendo (I don't know if they're the only ones who did it), always show off something new the console could do on a technical level. Maybe it was to show other developers the possibilties or to flaunt their console or their mastery of it.

Anyways, yeah, with each console and their first titles, Nintendo made sure to put some stuff in it to show what the console was capable of and what set it apart from their previous console.

What made it memorable for me was that if you fell down you had to start the bossfight over again. Gay.

I also remember the rom being surprisingly small. It was 600kb. DKC was over 3mb.

Nintendo games were small in storage compared to third party games being released, which probably says something about optimization.
>>
>>11251331
He was a real fag.
>>
>>11251390
this
>>
>>11251331
looks like anal beads
>>
>>11251331
too easy, charge sword, never fell once, didn't even know it was possible until I read losers whining here
>>
>>11252642
Fuck you. I've finished more games than you've played.
>>
>>11251331
*skitter skitter skitter skitter*
>>
>>11251331
abosulte chaos. trying bombs and arrows, getting a few hits on the tail and getting dropped back into the dungeon, having to fight your way back to the big fight. also the payoff after you kill it you get warped to the dark world and the game opens up.
>>
>>11251331
if you hold diagonally away from the pits you don't fall
>>
>>11251331
>last boss of light world – you know that your "journey" is about to end and you're about to get the Master Sword
>cool room for fighting – the idea of falling from a great height if you screw up and get pushed off the edge makes for an exciting battle
>>
>>11251331
it fucking sucks and it's annoying
>>
>>11251331
cause it was annoying, yet super weak
>>
>>11251331
Knock back bullshit
>>
>>11251331
sovl
>>
>>11251331
its shaped just like the beads your parents used to hide in your butt
>>
>>11251331
i dont remember it. never played the game though
>>
I'm a dumb piece of shit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.