[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 10231-1618004028.png (218 KB, 3000x784)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
I hate it

>B-B-BUT WHY?
>>
Another shitty thread, good job OP.
>>
Why would you make a thread saying "BUT WHY?" and not just explain why? What is anyone supposed to respond to?
>>
>>11251608
Maybe just take a guess on what I hate about the game
>>
File: Fii6wqoWQAAVHSE2.jpg (11 KB, 625x626)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>literally the only good game in the series
>"I hate it"
>>
>>11251639

For me, it's MK9 or MKX

>NOT RETRO
>>
File: 1669753717664790.jpg (85 KB, 651x641)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
"this ai is so stupid! it just does the same thing over and over again!"
>falls for it each time
>>
>>11251587
Because the cpu is cheap
>>
>>11251639
I liked uh.....was it 9? I don't remember the number, the one with the famous HE MUST WIN line. Not retro though.
>>
>>11251649
I believe there's only one version that tones it down, and it's unofficial
>>
I genuinely and unironically love the 3D games more than the 2D games. I really do.
>>
>>11251630
Because you suck cock? MK2 is more of a take it up the ass kind of game
>>
>>11251705
they have a lot of content but the fighting just looks and feels so retarded. especially DA with the ridiculous blood effects that look like red worms crawling all over you. i think mk2 was the peak, at least as far as the casual experience goes, but umk3 (and trilogy) are the funnest to do combos in
>>
>>11251714
I still have a disdain for the 2D games, and I love the 3D games even more. I mean that with all my heart
>>
>>11251587
Nobody cares why, you'll never be a 90s kid in America is all and I know how mad that makes you as either a jap or a zoomer.
>>
>>11251758
I was born in the 90s, but didn't play these games for the first time until the early 2010s
>>
>>11251587
It's better than Street Fighter II Turbo, and I'm tired of pretending it's not.
>>
>>11251784
I prefer Champion Edition
>>
File: 1709653075861.jpg (42 KB, 554x554)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>11251587
MK2 is a very clunky game with weird hitboxes and barely existing combos. MK3 is superior.
>>
>>11251767
>I was born in the 90s
Yeah, 99.
>>
>>11251973
Agree. MK3-Trilogy subseries are the only retro MK games with good gameplay.
>>
>>11251973
3 is better but I felt like the urban theme with cyborgs instead of ninjas was an aesthetic downgrade
>>
>>11251784
What’s sad is you’re not even baiting. You’re just retarded
>>
>>11251630
The terrible balance, cheating AI, and the fact that in hindsight BLOOD GUNS AND GORE LOLZ wasn't as cool as you thought?
>>
File: 1703131866858.png (85 KB, 400x254)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>11252012
I loved it. Ninja and fantasy craze mostly died out in media by then. It was the X-Men and WCW Nitro era.
>>
File: mk3.gif (229 KB, 395x253)
229 KB
229 KB GIF
>>
>>11252441
Stupid idea. Unmasked Sub is fine. Smoke is Scorpion but better.
>>
>>11251587
Do you think Mortal Kombat would have succeeded if it didn't have fatalities?
>>
I always knew the computer was cheating, but after watching that youtuber break it down I can no longer play these games single player. It's a damn shame
>>
>>11251639
This is bait. UMK3, Deception, Shaolin Monks, 9 and X are good.
>>
>>11252457
MKs gore factor is overblown desu. Yeah, that's what got it a lot of attention and media coverage considering it almost single handedly created the ratings system by enraging soccer moms

However, you'll probably find a lot of people who only remember MK for the gore are the more casual gamers in general. MK had a few things going for it as an actual game
>A
No other real competition for SFII, SNK was trying to get a foot in the door but they just never got that far in the US, I love SNK but the fact is they never had the widespread availability or promotion here by the time they hit their stride in terms of quality, and many people felt it was too similar to SFII which gave it the stigma of "off brand"
>B
MK was more casual friendly, I was the main kid in my neighborhood into fighting games, and I had pretty much any console release I could get of them, but by far I have the most memories of playing MK, because everyone played it. That's because anybody can tap "back back punch", while you'd have to spend forever trying to teach someone how to do half circle motions or zig zags on a d-pad, or teaching them how to block in SF. MK was popular cause it was easier to do the cool things
>C
People actually cared about the story and characters of MK, which is what keeps many of the oldschool fans still hanging around to this day. MK had a much bigger nerd appeal because the universe and backstories were more fleshed out and interesting, and also not too anime (anime was not widely popular yet, didn't really happen until Pokemon and even then, people don't remember how much it was made fun of broadly)
>>
>>11252886
the anime thing is mentioned, and martial arts craze was way more rooted in holywood/hong kong stuff which mostly came from or depicted China, and had that version of pop culture masked, mystical ninja that MK used. SF was big but it was very japanese, people didn't understand "ki" and things like that, but they understood magic, mk was made by westerners so it had that on it's side too
>>
File: MK1 Vs MK3.jpg (360 KB, 1402x469)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>11252059
Mortal Kombat felt like Bruce Lee participating in bloodsport, MK3 felt like some fucking kids cartoon.
you can see the same with TMNT, the original movie while funny still had this semi adult feel to it, while the tv show was pure toddler fodder.
the mid 90s was not good for MK.
>>
File: predator-2.jpg (86 KB, 465x699)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>11253853
>Mortal Kombat felt like Bruce Lee participating in bloodsport, MK3 felt like some fucking kids cartoon.
Idk, depends on your perspective I guess. I thought MK3 carried the tradition, just went in a different "less eastern" direction

Kabal for example, reminded me of a Mad Max character. Cyber Ninjas to me seemed like a take on Predators. Striker was boring, and Nightwolf to me was silly but the 90s was obsessed with Native Americans being "kewl", see Chief Thunder and T. Hawk
>>
>>11251639
>>literally the only good game in the series
>>"I hate it"
>>
>>11253853
Cheap costumes and choreography in MK1 make it look like poor kids halloween imitation of kung fu cinema. I don't see any MK3/power rangers similarity. It's pure 90s comic books.
>>
there is zero reason to play any of the mortal kombat games instead of another fighting
they are just aggressively mid
>>
>>11254774
>there is zero reason to play any of the mortal kombat games instead of another fighting
>they are just aggressively mid
Sure there is. It's called nostalgia and fun.

If you were an American 90's kid you'd understand such concepts.
>>
File: 1571093721940.jpg (108 KB, 900x960)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>11254959
Most people who complain about MK can't even play other fighters beyond a casual level anyway. There is a large discrepancy between people who pose as pro high tier players who deeply understand mechanics vs. people who pretend they do on forums and youtube comments sections but can barely get a shoryuken in an old school game to work
>>
>>11254774
99% of fighting game players are casuals
.5% are competitive players
the remaining .5% are posers like you who think spamming emojis on twitch makes you part of the "fgc"
>>
>>11255163
>>11255168
>pulling the "casuals" and "fgc" cards out of nowhere
Surprise, all fighting games that are considered 'good' are fun regardless of your level as long as you play against the players of the same level. Nobody made fighting games with 'pros' in mind back then. Furthermore, Marvel games, unlike mainline SF, were made for casuals specifically.
Surprise #2, MK games can have high skill level. At least UMK3, idk about the others.
Saying that casuals who dislike MK can't play other fighting games is beyond retarded.
>>
>>11251587
great game. classic. the a.i. is facked, for sure, though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.