[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1715626972032213.jpg (1.18 MB, 2453x2722)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
dragon slayer 4 aka drasle family aka legacy of the wizard, which version is considered best?
>>
>>11252326
If you are interested in any Falcom game dont bother with the NES versions.
>>
>>11252330
Lol. Just lol.
>>
just watch someone else play it
i've seen people try to play it without save states
it isn't worth it
you will eat serious shit playing it without save states
first warning
>>
>>11252495
This. Dark Castle is a more fun and rewarding experience (not even joking)
>>
File: 1726763555041.jpg (282 KB, 1024x768)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
This game was groundbreaking but it assumes you have unlimited free time to wander through the dungeon, die a lot, and slowly realize you've been doing everything wrong. GameFAQs is mandatory.

Check out this sperg's fansite if you want more info about differences between the versions. I prefer NES since it has the best soundtrack.

http://lsd4.starfree.jp/
>>
File: IMG_1329.jpg (117 KB, 780x1134)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>11253124
Japanese aren’t superhuman they were just buying guidebooks for these cryptic games.
>>
File: IMG_1330.jpg (164 KB, 780x1089)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>11253484
>>
>>11252495
It's literally no problem at all as long as you know where the hidden shop is so you can get the shield early.
>>
haha
>>
>>11252330
Tell us why.
>>
>>11252495
This board is infested with zoomers.
>>
>>11252326
NES/Famicom > MSX2 for this
There is no real difference from the NES and Famicom version other then the title screen, no real game changes so just play either.
I love this game and its a balls hard challenge. If you're not using a guide some sort you will need some paper to map things out for yourself and take notes. People who bitch are the ones who never do this step even though it was a common and expected thing to do in 80s PC gaming, which this is (MSX is the original verison).
>>
>>11255158
>NES/Famicom > MSX2 for this
why?
>>
>>11255162
Just outright plays smother. Higher framerate + smooth scrolling. The MSX1/2 versions dont scroll at all, but it can be used to your advantage to get mobs to despawn.
Its 2024, just go and download it and play it.
>>
Just bought this game from the local retro vid gane store for $6. Really looking forward to it. I remember watching my brother and his friend play when we were kids. Super cool premise: a family keeping the local big bad in check for generations literally built their house on top of the dungeon devoted to housing said big bad. You get to use mom, dad, bro, sis and even the pet. Each one specializes in something different so you need to use each of them to make it through the dungeon.

>>11255158
The manual tells you to draw a map. I've got a bunch of graph paper ready to go for whenever I decide to let it rip.
>>
>>11253124
You didn't read the manual did you zoom-zoom?
>>
Msx or bust.
>>
>>11256715
When I rented it from a grocery store in 1991, it came in a plastic box with no manual, but Nintendo Power had some late-game passwords and the lotsa-items-and-extra-lives cheat code. Also, fuck you.
>>
>>11257593
Fuck you right back, anon.
>>
I liked Sorcerian better.
>>
>>11252326
imo the NES version just for the music, there is a retranslation patch if I'm not mistaken
>>11252330
what the fuck...
>>11253484
I'm glad we didn't get those back then, yes it could suck the life out of you in a game like Drasle Family but since (good) games weren't that readily available finding the way around by yourself, solving puzzles and beating the game, it was quite the feeling.
>>
People are still surprised at the anti NES Falcom fans?
Ys 2 and 3 are perfectlty good on Famicom too btw.
>>
>>11259836
>Ys 2 and 3 are perfectlty good on Famicom too btw.
>2
Ehhh, I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that the Famicom version is WAY more grindy
It might be the most wonky version of 3, but it is over hated for sure
>>
Best soundtrack of Yuzo Koshiro's whole damn career.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL86271DB57EBE3F0F
>>
>>11262751
Noice.
>>
>>11259836
>perfectlty good
theyre fucking worse. In the 80s its fine because maybe you didnt have a PC88 and just a famicom but in 2024 youre just emulating them, why the fuck would you emulate a worse port?
>>
>>11264606
NTA but its fun to check out alternative versions of games, particularly for older titles since the amount of differences is often much higher. You get different takes on the music, art, game mechanics, etc. Some times straight up different gameplay even. The MSX and Famicom versions of Dragon Slayer 4 have straight up different maps even.
For games you enjoy, I don't see any reason not to check out different versions of it. Just take it as like a "remix" of a song you like. Its not about an objective best version, its just a different flavor of it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.