[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 71sDJoN9w0L.jpg (179 KB, 1361x1764)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
Sometimes I use cheat codes to fix flaws of older games. For example Persona 3 FES you can control your party members by just using a simple cheat code.

Technically not /vr/ but I've been playing No More Heroes and I used a cheat for infinite money so I dont have to grind the stupid ass side missions.

Any other games where cheating just makes the game more fun?
>>
>>11253243
Any RPG benefits from a jokered no random battles code. Also PAL2NTSC and y/x fix codes were good for unoptimized games.
>>
>>11253243
Doom and Doom 2 have issues with ammo balance, but you can type IDKFA and immediately get all the weapons to streamline the experience.
It also gives you all the keys so you don't have to grind the side missions of getting them yourself.
>>
You didn't play the game, you played your modded version of the game where you arbitrarily decided what belonged in the game.
>>
>>11253293
Kind of like how I didnt fuck your mom after I paid for her titjob, I fucked an arbitrarily modded version of her where I decided how she should look.
>>
>>11253243
>says "cheat codes"
>actually talking about Gameshark or Action Replay codes
zoomzoom
>>
I've considered cheating in parts in Front Mission 5 just to skip farming them through the dogshit roguelike sidemode. Not farming for new parts makes the battles a slog, but with every part at your disposal it would become ridicolously easy.
>>
>>11253313
Everyone called them cheat codes youre the zoomzoom
>>
>>11253243
When I was a kid in 90s when I discovered the concept of cheat codes I literally played every game with as many cheats as possible, it was infinitely fun and I though about myself: "hell yeah". In early school years I even made a website with cheatcodes and I felt like I solved the universe.
>>
>>11253365
no they didn't
some people just called them codes. especially those you typed using external devices like that serial port on ps1
>>
>>11253474
I literally didn't have the concept of challenge as a kid. I just enjoyed levels and scenery on godmode and that was more than enough fun for me.
>>
I use save states to beat bosses
>>
>>11253243
here is the best cheat to make P3 better, just play Portable you fucking faggot
>>
>>11253519
*reload
>>
>>11253503
>>11253474
reminds me how i played kid mode in spider man because my autism assumed it meant that literally
>>
>>11253493
Sorry your wrong. Cheats are cheats whether you used a game genie or baked in codes
>>
>>11253519
>>11253525
/vr/ now bans people for talking about non retro games, so finally my prayers were heard and enjoy your vacation
>>
>>11253527
I thought that would make spidey a kid, like the DK cheats in goldeneye
>>
>>11253313
>>11253493
Everyone called them cheat codes action replay and gameshark were "cheat devices". You were not there.
>>11253531
Remakes of retro games have always been allowed so have fun being a minimodding retard. Go ahead and report my posts nothing will happen.
>>
>>11253243
in yugioh games (and other TCG vidya) i use cheats to unlock all the cards and remove deck cost restrictions in the games that use that mechanic.

does it make the games easier because i'm not grinding for something playable? yes but said grinding is not why i play TCG vidya in the first place.
>>
If I felt the need to resort to cheats to enjoy a game, I'd rather just play a better video game.

If it's your second or third playthrough and you just want to get to the good part, then sure, why not? But you only get to experience a game for the first time once, and poisoning that with cheats seems like a huge waste.
>>
>>11253503
>I literally didn't have the concept of challenge as a kid. I just enjoyed levels and scenery on godmode and that was more than enough fun for me.
Not retro but I did this with Fallout 3 and New Vegas when I was younger. Used to just put godmode on and enjoy exploring the world and completing quests without any challenge for hundreds of hours. Idk why I did it, I just found it fun. At some point one of my friends asked me "why do you have 100s of hours in New Vegas but only 1 achievement?" and I got really embarrassed and made up some excuse about how "my game bugged so i can't earn achievements anymore". After that I didn't do it anymore out of shame.
>>
>Medal of Honor: Frontline
>'Men with Hats' cheat
all NPCs have a random asset on their head. this can be anything from a bullet casing to an entire battleship
>>
>>11253243
>For example Persona 3 FES you can control your party members by just using a simple cheat code.
wtf I didn't know this
>>11253293
As someone that beat the normal game. who cares?
>>
>>11253536
Those are cheat devices or cheat software, and you put codes into them, but NEVER were they ever called "cheat codes" nor will you see AR or GS codes in the "cheat code" section on GameFAQs for any game.

A cheat code is very specific in being a secret combination that exists within the game that a player can activate during the game running.
>>
File: THPS2_OfficerDick.png (51 KB, 234x256)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
Off-topic blog post but I used to spend a lot of time at a local youth rec center with a computer lounge. I'd play THPS 2 and use cheats to unlock the spiderman skin, moon level or infinate balance while grinding. Somehow the staff there were convinced that cheats were akin to "hacking" the game and anyone caught using cheats was politely, yet firmly asked to leave
>>
>>11253942
>As someone that beat the normal game
Holy shit we got a god gamer here.
>>
>>11253942
You never knew it because it's not true. OP is calling either Gameshark codes or a mod "cheat codes."
And it matters because that's how the game was made... that's what the developers wanted their game to be played like and how they balanced literally every fight and all the mechanics.

Did you notice that the stoic maxims during the intro also match up with the idea of only being in control of your own actions and thoughts? And that the combat is focused around only (You) being in control of yourself, relying on your familiarity with your friends to know how they will act to your commands?

Anyone who wishes to throw that all out might as well just play P3P.

>>11253753
Don't forget the hot dog suits!
>>
I always use infinite money cheats in rpgs cause fuck grinding
>>
>>11253243
I used cheats on P3P to max level everyone but that's because I just wanted to finish the damn thing already.
Once in a while I'll use 1hitKO cheats on RPGs to make grinding faster if the instant lvl999 option isn't available.

If it comes to actual cheats in-game and not gameshark stuff or emulation, I would always enable low gravity on Tony Hawk games.
>>
>>11254087
Zoom zoom trying to hard to fit in.
>>
>>11253503
The only 2 games I and everyone else I knew that always used cheats in were Twisted Metal 2 and GTA3. For some reason I decided to play 3 eventually without any cheats and then never used them again.

I had a Gameshark also but I liked it for gamebreaking stuff like go through any walls in Silent Hill or getting a key item at the beginning of the game(after having beaten it already though).
>>
>>11253649
I stopped changing names in games when given the opportunity when my friend in 8th grade saw my pokemon and said "You rename your pokemon??" lol
I despise games that don't have a default one and force you to make one, a genuine filter for me.
>>
>>11254107
I will play P3P, good idea. It's the best version anyway, when it comes to canon (femc isn't real)
>>
>>11254162
I dont like this core gameplay of a genre so I continue playing the genre
why you even here. just watch movie or something
>>
>>11254341
i change to funny names like xAsswipeRx
>>
>>11254605
There's still quests n shit, you dumbass. Nothing wrong with cheating money.
>>
I think every JRPG should have a replay battle feature or quicksaves.
>>
>>11253243
It's not a flaw, it makes the game more strategic and less reactionary
>>11253313
They're literally cheat devices
>>
>>11254107
>P3P adds female protag
>now you can manipulate your friends
kino
>>
>>11254639
>Mitsuru spamming Marin Karin for no reason
>being forced on full time healing duty because Yukari wont fucking heal even when set to support

Ah yes, "strategy".
>>
>>11255335
Works on my machine. Never saw one Marin Karin from her.
>>
>>11255371
>lying
>>
>>11255386
nta but just take her off "act freely" and she'll never use it
>>
File: Smells like Yukari.jpg (51 KB, 341x548)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>11255335
One time, during a boss fight, I put Yukari on "Only Heal" so she'd actually fucking heal for once. Comes to her turn. People are hurt. You know what she does?
SHE PASSES.
SHE CHOOSES "WAIT".
I think it's the closest I've ever come to throwing my controller. I was in-fur-i-a-ted.
But now I have eraMegaten installed, so I can get all the revenge I like. >:)
>>
>>11256734
>spoiler
GOD TIER ANON

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.