[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: x2-saikikka-c.jpg (16 KB, 400x237)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
You'll probably want to fight me about this but Final Fantasy X-2 and Majora's Mask are two of my favorite games. One thing I really like about them is the asset flipping. It's so cool to explore the world from the previous title a second time in a new way, or even just meet familiar characters in unfamiliar settings. Of course, adding new content is great too. Altogether it brings new life to the beloved worlds of the first entries. Any other really good retro asset flip sequels? Obviously requires that the first game in the series is great, too.
>>
>>11255215
1.6% left to 100% in beginning of Chapter 3. Got all other achievements already. It's fun and helped me appreciate everything the game offers a lot more but I think I'm done with 100%ing shit for a while after this.
>>
>>11255949
The 100% ending is worse anyway
>>
>>11255949
Did you speak to Rikku in time during the Thunder Plains concert?
>>
thats not what an asset flip is tho
asset flips are using stock pre-made assets and slapping together some bullshit that vaguely resembles a videogame in an effort to scam retards

what youre looking for is expansion packs
>>
>>11255215
X2 is garbage for hikikomori.
Never in my life have I been more disappointed in a sequel, what a joke X2 is. Narratively it just sucks all the gravitas out of the original so as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t exist.
>>
>>11256292
In-battle outfit swaps and customizable monster minions are fun.
>>11256264
Ok... I didn't think of that because an expansion pack is usually for a PC game, needing the original game to play it. Not the case for the console titles I mentioned above. What are your favorite retro expansion packs?
>>
>>11255994
Yea the normal ending is basic but better, I watched all the endings after the first playthrough, got to 95% but didn't consult a guide very thoroughly. I stopped committing to 100% when I was one percent off Chapter 1 but I just kept going anyway. Only thing I'll leave out until if I ever pick it up again is Creature Creator bestiary completion and all cups. I only went for the Mascot dressphere and stopped there.

>>11256052
Probably, I autistically talk to every NPC multiple times right away regardless, but I wish I stopped caring about doing that. Also looking up the save viewer I don't have anything like that missing.
>>
Annnnnd 100% attained >>11256662
Took till Chapter 4 with one of the commspheres. Last Mission up next and it's Spooktober games for me.
>>
GTA LCS/VCS
Shemue 2 "Maybe"
>>
>>11257278
Wouldn't really call Shenmue 2 an asset flip, just about everything in the game is brand new. Even Ryos model is updated.
>>
>>11255215
Its a little puzzling to me that everyone likes to call Majoras Mask an asset flip, even if they don't always mean it in a derogatory way. Most everything in that game is brand new. The game engine and general gameplay is mostly the same sure but everything else is new and unique. Theres a small handful of reused characters and enemies but the vast majority are new. That alongside the three mask transformations which are essentially new playable characters and the heavy focus on side quests and it really is just a new game.

I think people just see the surface level stuff like NPCs from OoT come back and be like "lol asset flip no wonder they made it so quickly" but if you have more than two brain cells and see everything else beyond that its really a miracle they were able to make a game like this in less than a year.
>>
>>11255215
Mega Man (even X series) is notorious for this but the games are still great
>>
>>11257312
>Theres a small handful of reused characters and enemies but the vast majority are new.
For the sake of naming something most people here can recognize, that was sufficient for me to use this phrase in the OP. I wanted to provoke a discussion about games that inherit a similar charm from casting characters settings and even music from a previous game in a new light.
For me, MM is a top ten and more fun on replays than its predecessor. So I don't subscribe to anything you said in the second paragraph.
>>
>>11255215
>We want the Xenosaga action audience

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.