[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What was regularly using CRTs like? I'm a zoomer (born in 2000), so I've never actually experienced one.
>>
>>11318050
You turn the tv on and then play video games on it. Its a tv
>>
>>11318050
You know that feeling when you use a TV? It felt like that.
>>
They made cool sounds when powered on and off, the screens would have fuzzy static electricity on them, they blurred your pixel art games nicely, and hid shortcomings in movies so everything looked cooler and more real. They were also a pain in the ass to move around.
>>
I don't miss the annoying whining sounds they made, but otherwise it was not much different from using a modern monitor besides the shittier image quality.
>>
>>11318068
I bought one recently and I'd forgotten how static-y they get. I thought mine was defective at first lol.
>>
>>11318050
One big difference is when watching sports you can actually see things in motion. Like, a tennis ball actually looks like a ball, rather than an elongated smear.
>>
The thing I loved about CRTs was rapid channel changing. It's not vidya, I know, but digital cable works in a way that channel surfing is technically impossible.
More relevant, they're fucking heavy and reaching around one to change console cables could be aggravating.
>>
File: biden.jpg (12 KB, 374x259)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>11318050
>regularly using CRTs
It was like using CRTs and drinking prune juice. By now, everyone who's not a larping zoomie knows this.
>>
>>11318059
Fpbp
>>
Stinky. due to the bugs that infest them when you run them it smelled like burnt flesh
>>
>>11318050
Maybe I grew up in a backwards place but I'm only several years older than you and I was well into high school before we didn't all think someone was kind of rich if they had a flat screen. Kind of unbelievable to me that you could have been born in y2k and never even seen one
>>
>>11318050
>I'm a zoomer (born in 2000), so I've never actually experienced one.
Did you grow up in a lab as part of an experiment? Who the hell was born in 2000 but has never seen a CRT?
>>
>>11318159
He never left his house until he was an adult
>>
>>11318050
I still use one regularly because I like to pretend it's 1999 sometimes, even got a VCR hooked up to it to watch old movies every weekend. It's not really any different from using a modern tv. The picture quality is standard definition and in 4:3, which makes cable broadcasts a little jonky sometimes. There's a high-pitched sound that comes from the tv when it's on. But other than that, I can't really say it's a radically different experience
>>
>>11318050
>CRT thread 2,345 in the past 30 days

I hate you retards so much. you have a fucking containment thread, use it.
>>
>>11318059
This. It's just what you did, just like now. I don't remember thinking about it too hard.
>>
>>11318180
>I like to pretend it's 1999
God I wish, for a lot of reasons.
>>
>>11318168
This, I was born in 2003 and have fond memories of playing Halo 2 on my CRT in my room. I don't know how the fuck this dude had no TVs in his house until 2009.
>>
>>11318050
If you where born in 2000 then you should remember crts unless you where some rich cunt
>>
File: file.png (191 KB, 622x563)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>11318068
I can still clearly remember the sound that my dad's old 13" Trinitron made when it turned on
>>
>>11318050
I was born in 2001 and we had CRTs for a long time
>>
This board is now just a zoomer larp hangout
>>
>>11318425
only when you are posting
>>
Regularly mixing up the Red, Yellow, White cables despite how simple it was.
The move to flatscreens and DVD and thinking it was cool at first then slowly realizing the loss of quality in some areas over the years and the lack of a certain atmosphere.
Static electricity.
Not a lot of channels and just watching whatever was on.
>>
>>11318168
>Who the hell was born in 2000 but has never seen a CRT?
Larper OP who was born in 2012
>>
>>11318050
they weigh fucking 200lbs. I got a free 36" flatscreen from an old man on yardsale and had to lug it out of his basement and almost died and it wouldn't fit in my car so I had to call a friend with a truck like an asshole. but it looks amazing with component cables, the TV itself was almost 2000$ when it was new
>>
>>11318068
>They were also a pain in the ass to move around.
Certainly not the one in OP's pic. The small grey ones with built-in DVD players were a diamond dozen in the 2000s.
>>
>>11318050
I like some of the Retro Gaming stuff CRTs though I own three of them and I don't particularly like them all. Mine are well maintained Commodore monitors so the pictures nice and sharp, at least as sharp as they can be. I regularly go to this arcade and almost all the guys monitors have got burned in or they're not very well focused or they're blurry. I told him he should probably do is convert a lot of those into ones with flat screens in them. Superior sharpness, no lag no blurriness. It lacks a little bit of the world but I really hate the curved surface the glare off of it. I hate the Robotron that he has in his arcade. My multiplayer one is the superior one with an LED screen. Plus it has a second video card output so I can put a second monitor on it someplace.
>>
>>11318050
I used a giant 42 inch crt for everything up until around 2012
>>
What the fuck is this retarded question? Same as the modern TV. You picked up the remote and watch shows or play games
>>
It was a television.
>>
File: mfw another CRT thread.webm (3.74 MB, 1600x1066)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB WEBM
>Another CRT thread
>>
We happily played games on them without second thought. A bigger screen was always preferred but most of time we were stuck with a 13”. I don’t recall anyone complaining about the high pitched sound, flicker or the picture quality, unless there was something wrong with the TV. VHS looked acceptable, TV looked fine. I wanted the 32” wide Trinitron we had in the living room but it was too huge. I just sat or stood closer to the screen. My dad got a few LCDs in the early 2000s and the picture looked like shit. My mum bought me an LCD in 2008 and I switched back to my CRT in 2011. RF and composite were standard and basically everyone was OK with that. I sometimes used RGB and it of course looked great. Plasma is the only thing that comes close to a CRT.
>>
>>11318885
My friend’s parents had one of those. It really seemed massive
>>
>>11318050
It sucked actually, they made a high pitched whining sound that set off my sensory defensiveness.
>>
i didnt think about it at all, the only thing i remember was that i couldnt take pictures of my monitor, most people were happy to move onto lcds
>>
imagine every room in the house has a TV and you have multiple siblings. there use to be a certain sound of all the different frequencies humming from different rooms throughout the daytime you could hear as you walked through the house. good times.
>>
>>11318885
was it actually 42 inches or like 37-38 and you are misremembering? if so I'm curious what TV because that was really rare
>>
>>11318050
I recently bought a sony pvm CRT. The picture is absolutely crisp and it has insane colors. Of cource consumer CRTs weren't as good back then, but it didn't look as bad as emulation with a crappy filter or if you'd watch a 480p movie on a modern LCD screen. You have to see it, its hard to explain
>>
>-oomer posting and admitting it
Low quality thread
>>
>>11318059
Yes. But apparently some zoomers who didn't grow up with them thing they emit brainmelting buzz and radiation.
>>
>>11318050
Wait what? I'm younger than you, and I experienced it. Bro cappin fr fr
>>
>>11318050
>crt still in use during 2010 to 2015.
>zoomer
>people still use plasma and LCD despite LED TV being commonplace since 2006 (led tv made lcd and plasma obsolete).
You need to be over 18 to post here faggot.
>>
I cannot wait until you faggots get drafted
>>
None of your business, not your culture, go play your fornite little shit
>>
>>11318050
this is off topic
>>
>>11318050
I don't know, you turned on the thing and it played sitcoms I guess. What the fuck do you want from us? It's just a TV.
>>
>>11318050
Line now but you'd get sore eyes and headaches from the constant flickering image
>>
>>11318050
r*choid
>>
>>11319698
There is no such thing an an "LED TV", its just shitty old LCD with a new meme backlight type.
>>
File: 1697972285963895.jpg (103 KB, 700x733)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>11318050
>What was regularly using CRTs like?
I used CRT TV's exclusively from the year I was born in the early 90's until 2014 when I got my first LCD flat screen TV. If I'm being honest the LCD is better than the CRT in every way, but I still own 3 CRT TV's just because.
>>
File: tenor.jpg (92 KB, 1024x768)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>11318672
>diamond dozen
>>
>>11319889
Headaches from the image was not very common on TVs, only computer monitors with lower refresh rates when reading text all day.
>>
>>11318095
that really depends on your tube. I last had a 95 Trinitron of midrange quality, and anything bright on the screen in an otherwise dark image produced a lot of blurry afterimage. That's also assuming that you had a good enough picture to see the ball in any detail, which you pretty much didn't. One thing I like about watching baseball today is you can clearly see the hand grip of the pitcher and clearly see the movement of the ball as it leaves his hand, even the rotation and the seam detail are visible on the slower replays.

I'm not saying youre wrong, just that in my experience you never got a feed clear enough to really see anything more than the blurry ball c coming across the screen. You knew what it was but it wasn't sharp at all.

for me one of my favorite things about old TVs was tapping on the glass. Cartoonists even used to draw with marker directly on the screen to indicate positions or guidelines for a given drawing, cuz you could just wipe it off easily. Can't do any of that with modern displays.
>>
>>11321381
those usually had a refresh rate of 75Hz
>>
>>11318159
I grew up in a wealthy area and saw tubes regularly up until the mid-late 2000s when everyone started upgrading. At that point any tube TV still around became the"game room TV" or the kid's TV, adults were watching HBO and shit on the new HDTV.
>>
>>11318653
mid 2000s Sony? those 30"+ tubes are a goddamn menace. The only ones anyone will give away free nowadays, unless you find a saint giving one away without being a money grubber
>>
>>11320662
it's a doggy dog world out there
>>
>>11318050
Didn't you use a CRT for the Wii? Unless you didn't have one. IIRC, the input delay would be pretty bad if you used a more modern TV.
>>
>>11319613
I'm probably misremembering
I think it was a Mitsubishi and it was one of the later models that was flat and had component inputs. It was built into a big silver/grey stand thing with shelves and speakers
>>
my boomer dad still has a big 30inch RCA CRT in his living room to this day.
>>
>>11321739
Your dad is smart. CRTs are starting to become pretty valuable and rare.
>>
>>11318050
There's a high pitched screech they make that not everyone can hear. It's not irritating, it's just a very distinct CRT sound.
>>
>>11318050
our eyes went square
>>
>>11318180
>high-pitched sound that comes from the tv
I miss those days. Not the noise, but when I could still hear high frequency noises.
>>
We didn't think about them at all, they were just the TVs that existed back then
Then in the late 2000s and early 2010s we were wowed by LCDs because of digital HD TV and the smaller size, we thought CRTs were lame obsolete grandpa TVs, and threw them in the trash
And now we think they're cool again because of retro gaming and soul memes
>>
File: 172868732364871734.jpg (68 KB, 640x494)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
op is a 40 year old larper, I was born in 03 and vividly remember owning a CRT TV until about 2010 and my grandparents owning theirs until 2014
>picrel
>>
Bait used to be believable.
>>
>>11318078
>I don't miss the annoying whining sounds they made
this.

but to be fair, lcd tvs eventually emit the same sound as they're worn down.
>>
>>11318050
personally, using a crt was turning on how it's made at low volume while i slept in the crt glow
>>
>>11318946
change /vr to /crt/ and then make an actual Virtual Reality board.
>>
File: CRTTV000165.jpg (11 KB, 360x360)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>11318050
The convex glass that protected the screen was fucking durable. I've thrown controllers and punched CRT TVs as hard as I could and they never even cracked.
>>
>>11321421
true because it's certainly not rocket appliances
>>
They looked nicer for some reason

I had a 37 or 38 inch and it was still the best looking TV I had
>>
>>11319665
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…
>>
One thing a lot of people tend to forget or not know is that most people did not have big CRT TVs in their home early on. In fact, most would be seen as tiny by today's standards when it comes to screen size. We'd often huddle around them almost like a small camp fire. Kids on the floor. Parents on a couch. Small TVs was the norm. I knew a few rich people with bigger ones. If kids had their own TV with a console, then it was usually the smallest, shittiest TV in the home.
>>
>>11323545
My family had a Quasar similar to this in the living room. (Same layout, but different styling.) Fucking piece of furniture. I think the screen was maybe 19" … people would apparently comment on how the screen was so big it felt like you were right there in the picture.

Only had one input, 75ohm coax. Parents were pretty attached to the grandeur of it. When it broke one time, they bought a 20" Trinitron to hold them over, then gave me the Sony after repair was done.
>>
>>11318050
They were heavy as shit depending on what you got, they also made this weird noise sometimes and had static when you rubbed against the screen and shocked the shit outta you. If you were broke like me you had an 80s woodgrain TV with a co-ax to RCA converter to play GameCube and PS2 and 360. That thing lasted me for 16 years until I bought a flat screen TV. Thing probably still works.
>>
>>11322061
That sound is because of an aging part you can get changed.
>>
>>11323487
it's just a matter of denial and error
>>
the static they generated on the screen was great, used to turn the tv on and off a couple times, then take a string of metal tinsel off the christmas tree and drop it from above the screen, the tinsel would cling to the screen and then you could slowly move your finger towards it and play snake charmer, where you try to get close enough to make the tinsel dance around but not so close that it reached your finger and zapped you
>>
>>11323145
>born in 03
Not retro
>>
>>11319402
that sounds like some kind of mk ultra facility. no wonder boomers are so brain rotted. glad my gen doesn't watch TV and got more smarter
>>
>>11319402
What's ironic for me is that sometimes today I reminisce how good the silence during covid lockdowns was. Not the covid, not the agenda, not the politicians, not the lockdowns, just the silence and no running about.
>>
File: MUMM.webm (1.11 MB, 578x460)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB WEBM
>>11318050
>>11318068
This. CGI in movies looked fine on VHS and a CRT
>>
>>11318050
Coil whine and oohh my muscles they're so heavy to move aronud oh nooo I can't do it my weak little knees
>>
>>11318050
It was like nothing, because there was nothing else. Gave it no thought whatsoever. Turn on TV, play game, turn off TV. I still keep an old TV around, because I just do the same thing I've always done, before the www existed.
>>
>>11318050
underage larper
>>
File: DLP tv 2.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1920)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>11318050
Most people had CRTs until around 2005/6 when they replaced them with flat panels so you should still have memories of them.

In fact I bought a brand new CRT in 2005. a silver Wega.

Anyone else remember that brief period when (big) flat panels were still overpriced so CRTs and other alternatives were still attractive?

Later in 2006 I bought the worst television I ever owned to this day:
A DLP television (I think it was Samsung). Holy fuck what a worthless hunk of fucking GARBAGE that was. A few months after buying it, a lamp burned out so I got a vertical blue smear on the entire left edge. Then a week or two later another lamp burned out on top so 30 percent of the screen was just harsh blue. It was under warranty so we called repairmen and they couldn't fix it because they had to order the parts, then when they did fix it, a few months later...they burned out AGAIN.
Also, the projector inside the TV was never calibrated correctly even at the factory, so ANYTHING you played on the screen would be cut off and unlike a CRT, there was no going into the service menu and adjusting overscan, you had to manually adjust it yourself inside the television. We had an old 55 inch projector TV from the 90s that was better than that DLP piece of SHIT.
DLP televisions were the worst fucking televisions ever god damn made, I will never forget how shit they were.

I never have a chance to talk about DLP memories so I'm putting it here, it's retro technically, so who had one of these awful things?
>>
>>11323605
That's funny. I remember my parents would send me down to the basement to watch Saturday morning cartoons on our old black and white CRT. It sat on a milk crate. I'd sit there and swear I could see color. Honestly wouldn't shock me if I really did see it in color due to how plastic the brain is when you're a kid.
>>
>>11325303
Based automaton.
>>
>>11324215
Boy i hated the 90s/2Ks mummy movies.
>>
>>11318050
late 20's, young enough to grow up with a CRT and then experience the transition...and I gotta say nothing remarkable about it. Like other anons said, it was just a TV. I will grant that one "nice" thing about CRTs was that you didn't really have to think about the quality of signal or input, cause it all looked like shit lol.

People romanticize CRTs the same way they romanticize things like demo discs and gaming magazines, but the truth of the matter is it was just an older, more inconvenient way of doing what we're still doing today.
>>
I kept one for my bedroom when we got a flatscreen for the living room.
It was placed next to the entrance so every so often I would go in, and the fucker would static zap me in the arm as I walked by.
Other than that I was rather indifferent about either.
>>
>>11326094
First one was fun
>>
>>11323761
you're making a mountain out of a mold hill
>>
>>11318050
It was completely comfy and fine, the only drawback at all to them was how heavy they were. Also back in those days channel changing was instantaneous on cable TV, it blows my mind how channels still have to "load" these days.
>>
>>11318050
Static touch electricity, having multiple consoles use Channel 0, 3, and 4, and 90% of homes would have a VCR on top or bottom. This also doesn't matter to some, but you couldn't get a PC and console hooked up into one. Today I have a monitor hooked up with a PC and multiple consoles and it's light weight. CRY TV sucked back then. Old games uploads on YouTube were almost all VHS to digital conversions too, all crappy.
>>
>>11318050
I had alot in the past. But its kino playing in black and white.
>>
I miss sleeping on my futon while watching discovery on the crt
>>
>>11318050
I was born in 2000 and we got our first flat screen in 2011. You are larping
>>
File: wgtr2x.jpg (619 KB, 2592x1944)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
>>11318050
I was still using CRT as my main display all the way up to 2015. I don't really miss them honestly, they were too big, too heavy whenever you wanted to move them around and trying to access the back of the TV was damn inconvenient. If you want to use them nowadays but have never owned one then don't bother, there's no intrinsic value to you just because you "missed out" on them. HDMI converters and stuff like the retrotink are already a better solution unless you're specifically looking for the exact type of picture that CRTs put out.
>>
>>11318050
The colours would literally glow and would not be as flat as they appear on todays tvs
>>
File: Streets-of-Rage-2.png (860 KB, 930x523)
860 KB
860 KB PNG
>>11318050

One funny thing is that the pixel art looks worse TODAY, because they exploited the features of CRTs back then.
>>
It was like nothing. It was a fucking TV and I felt poor because i didnt have a flatscreen
>>
>>11318486
>Regularly mixing up the Red, Yellow, White cables despite how simple it was
I remember this too, but Im not sure why it was so hard lol I think it was just up against the wall so i had to reach back there and try to get it in the hole for minutes and hope i was going in the right hole
>>
>>11329230
You say that like its not the entire reason that people want CRTs now
>>
>>11323386
>>11327640
You fundamentally don't understand how digital technology and analogue work then. Crts are not processing an image, or at least not via software. Their hardware literally expresses the image as soon as it reaches it. It's not being made using electrical signals broken up into bits and translated back into an image, it's literally a continuous wave that draws an image in scanlines from the top down over and over faster than you can see. The pixels are chemicals on the inside of the glass, they simply light up. No electricity ever flows through the pixels, just a beam of electrons blasted at them which makes them glow a desired colour for a moment.
>>
>>11318059
Basically this, you can delete every post after this
>>
>>11318050
What year were you actually born?
>Most people I knew still used CRTs as their main TV until the early 2010s/very late 2000s
>Every hotel room I had stayed before 2012 or so at had a CRT
>My School still had CRTs in a lot of classrooms until 2015
>CRT TVs and Computer monitors were very common in public places until the early 2010s
If you were actually born in 2000, you'd have had a decade worth of experience with CRTs.
>>
>>11318050
They look and feel bigger for whatever reason

And they make games from 2003 and before look nicer than they do now
>>
>>11326228
> cause it all looked like shit
Its crazy how different the experience was for people in PAL and NTSC regions. Whilst people from the NTSC regions were used to tv looking like crap, here in PAL land we grew up with borderline HD, our tv looked great.
>>
>>11318050
Sometimes punchan the old boy till eventually picture comes back no holdan back these tubes can take it
>>
>>11320659
Objectively incorrect, watch a game of football on a crt and then lcd, or tennis. You can actually see the ball in motion

You probably play slow paced games if you've actually never noticed that
>>
>>11330325
How poor were you actually born?
My main TV was a plasma in the late 90s. It was an LCD in 2005. I also had some projectors in there.
>>
I'm 30 now and on the rare occasion I encounter a CRT the high pitched whining still makes me extremely uncomfortable and want to leave the room. I can only imagine how much worse it was back when my hearing was better but I guess CRTs being everywhere meant you just got used to it as a kid. I remember being able to walk into someone's house and tell whether they have a TV on somewhere even if I couldn't hear the actual speaker audio.
I also used to enjoy running the back of my hand across the screen and wiping off all the static buildup, it was a fun sensation.
>>
>>11331373
people just weren't as big of pussies back in the day so a little noise didn't make them cry
>>
>>11331546
Most adults have a hard time perceiving the sound of CRTs because their hearing is already fucked so I wouldn't say it has anything to do with being a pussy or not. You're not a tough guy for putting up with a sound that you literally are not capable of hearing.
And it's kind of mean-spirited to call a child a pussy for wincing at a sound that is objectively uncomfortable due to being at the absolute highest end of what people are capable of hearing when their ears are at their most receptive.
>>
>>11331554
>all this coping
I can hear it just fine. It just doesn't bother me because I'm not a huge pussy
>>
The sound was a very minor annoyance at worst to most people, firstly, you needed to have good hearing to notice it at all, second, you needed to have autism to be noise sensitive enough to care.
And like any other limitation of old technology, was there a choice other than to put up with it?
Most people didn't even notice that the image quality kind of sucked before better screens started to be available.
>>
>>11331576
That's good, everyone is different and it's not like the CRT high-pitched background sound is a big problem for anyone in 2024. I was just giving my perspective on it like OP asked.
>>
>>11331583
No one ever complained about it back in the day. So its obviously just younger kids being sensitive pussies
>>
>>11331604
Well I'm assuming OP is a younger kid since they said they never experienced a CRT in real life. Even if they live in a first world country I find it fascinating that they would have never seen one in the last 20 years in school or something like that. It's a fact that CRTs give off high-pitched sounds due to how they work so telling them about it only makes sense and it's certainly my experience too.
>>
>>11318050
>born in 2000
You need to be at least 18 years old to post to 4chan
MODS!
>>
>>11331373
the noise rarely bothered me but some TVs would make a particularly bad noise when showing nothing but a single color, I remember my brother leaving his TV on with a yellow screen and it made a noise that actually hurt
>>
>>11331373
>le 30yo zoomer who pretends to be broken for attention
Talk about things that make you want to leave the room
>>
>>11328705
Yeah, I was born in '99, and we used CRTs all the time up until like 2008.
I don't know how someone born in 2000 would have no memory of them.
>>
>>11318050
I think growing up the largest CRT we owned was probably ~30in. I think my dad later got some large 50in 720p plasma TV for the living room. I forgot what the picture quality looked like on the plasma for retro games.

I typically played games on a small 18in crt TV in my room.
>>
>>11331373
You are obviously a soulless husk. To me, hearing that whine is like being filled with the light of god.
>>
>>11327869
Daisy chaining RF Switches was not ideal, the signal would get worst the further down the line you got and the VCR would always compound this
>>
>>11318059
Ones from before the 80s at least, you had to actually tune them. I remember being made to sit next to the TV and fiddle with the dials until the picture came in perfect.

Nobody under the age of 40 knows what VHF and UHF are
>>
>>11318050
I dunno, what's regularly using LED monitors like?
>>
>>11325347
Nobody had flat screens in 05. They had those rear projection TVs that could have screens double the size of a CRT but still needed to be like two feet deep.
>>
>>11318050
It was dogshit.
They would have fucked up distorted graphics and when you tried to fix it you would somehow make them even worse.
They where heavy as fuck so good luck moving any but the smallest tvs.
Giant fucking shadow mask dots if your tv was cheap and small that made it near impossible to read text.
Loud whining sound, you could tell if it was turned on even if there was no picture or sound input.
>>
>>11318050
I'm younger than you and we had a CRT until around 2011, how have you never seen one?
>>
File: 1322955910736.jpg (75 KB, 489x562)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Tingly static pops as you rube your hand close to the glass
>>
>>11318050
I’m one year older than you and I grew up with one of those but granted it was when 5 to 8 years old but I still had one
>>
I had a 14-inch trinitron and it was fine. You had to be careful with magnets and sunlight made it unplayable
>>
I was born in 1999, but I'm a poorfag, so I still have a CRT TV and I bought a LED TV when the pandememe was about to start.
LED TVs are better when watching new stuff, but CRTs are good for old games.
>>
>>11335781
I used to rub my head against it to make my hair stick up.
>>
it was pretty much like using any screen would be today except it'd need more desk space, maybe cell phones would be different today if crts were still used i suppose
>>
File: 1721270777928097.png (474 KB, 618x968)
474 KB
474 KB PNG
>>11338008
>maybe cell phones would be different today if crts were still used i suppose
>>
>>11318068
Turning the TV on then waving your hand around in front of the screen to feel the static electricity it built up is one thing that can never be emulated
>>
>>11318392
Something that noone ever seems to mention, that you can see here, is the reflection of the light in the tv. This could/can be a big deal depending on where you want to put the CRT and where you're going to be looking at it from.

>>11337960
>>11338306
I used to get an unpleasant shock from the aerial of mine sometimes. I know it's not how aerials are supposed to function, but for whatever reason a charge must have built up sometimes in it and zap.
>>
>>11338008
LCD screens aren't exactly a new thing. My memory of TVs like this go back to the 80s. Even if the tech only got marginally better, it'll probably at worst be like >>11338239
No extra depth needed for a tube.
>>
>>11338319
Same happens with modern TVs. Either mirror reflection off glass panes, or angled from matte surfaces.
>>
>>11318050
It's a device that uses a mad scientist-tier technology of shooting electricity inside a vacuum to display an image. They're ridiculously heavy and can kill you if you open the back.

They're great for movies also, not just games. The image feels alive, it's hard to explain. Especially the curved screen ones, it feels like you're getting sucked into the picture. Movies like Ring or Videodrome make perfect sense if you've experienced CRTs.
>>
>>11338319
No one mentions that because it's irrelevant. Look around. Everything you see is reflecting light. Turn off the screen of phone you're reading this on. See it reflect the light.
>>11338331
If tech only got marginally better people would be raving about the GG screen.
>>
>>11318050
When you got close to a television, all the hairs on the side of your body closest to it stood on end.
Touching it would make a thick, glassy echo, like tapping glass balls together.
Whenever you turned it on, there was a delay as the Neutron Gun fired up.
It always had a pleasing little after image when you turned it off or pulled the power quickly.
You could feel its warmth by toucing it.
Magnets harmed the television, giving it distorted shapes and colors. Never do this.
When you turned it on, it hummed a little tune to let you know it cared.
>>
>>11338306
the best part was dropping metal tinsel from the chrismas tree onto the static then playing snake charmer, where you move a finger slowly towards it to get it to lift off the screen but if it got too close it'd leap up and zap you
>>
>>11318050
>click the power button
>it turns on
>click power on the console
>play game

this makes zoomers shit their pants in fear and hysteria
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiab2a6B10

*BWONNNnnnggggg* *click*
>>
>>11338948
>No one mentions that because it's irrelevant. Look around. Everything you see is reflecting light. Turn off the screen of phone you're reading this on. See it reflect the light.
I just wanna interject here and say that I have a full dark room which is alright enough light sealed that I still use for film processing, developing & printing.
People really underestimate just how much light reflects and envelops a room or space. Just the tiniest piece of light coming in is visible once you've let your eyes adjust.
If you want to seal a room from light almost completely, it's a very hard task that requires building upon layers at every entry/exit. If you have any electronics in the room you'll be foiling & taping and foiling and taping and foiling and taping.

This anon is right. Light truly does reflect off of absolutely everything and it's so infuiating that I want to open a black hole in my room but I'm sure it'd just reflect off of the edge of that shit and I'd experience it eternally as I'm being sucked in.

>>11325347
>Anyone else remember that brief period when (big) flat panels were still overpriced so CRTs and other alternatives were still attractive?
06-08 was the golden age for "upgrading" from a CRT to a flat panel LCD TV. Plasma was around but the big thing that won people over was size and then by 2008 it was cost.
Size both from a reduction in space taken up horizontally, less need for a TV unit and size in muh real screen size. 16:9 content was getting more common so your 28" consumer set was displaying a 25.5" picture most of the time. By 2007 32 inch TVs were affordable, you were guaranteed 720/768p, accept 1080i. By 2008 1080p panels were getting affordable.
That 32 inch sized screen was the break point. A 4:3 image on a 32" = 26", it'd be a 1:1 upgrade, you saved space, it used less power and was compatible with all this new fangled sheeeit.

That brief period existed right up until 2006/2007 and died just like plasma did.
>>
>>11318050
If it was an older tv/console, you had to tune in to the console at first. I did this for a while but I think ps1 might have been the first console where I didn't need to do this.
>>
File: 1727919415318993.jpg (156 KB, 768x1024)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>11329230
>>
>>11323756
I think I have that sometimes, what could I do? I feel like it shows up more with 240p usage than with 480i but perhaps I'm trying to see something where there isn't anything, in general I do get this high-pitched screech though.
Bonus: if I switch to a white noise channel it stops while on there (might have to do with PAL/NTSC shenanigans since EUfag, dunno).
>>
>>11318050
The surface of the tube smelled like shit when it was on. Probably poisonous gas made by some chemical reaction.
>>
>>11339738
Ozone.
>>
>>11318050
Calling bullshit because I still used CRTs well into the 2010s. You're either 15 years old or 35+ and trying to ragebait.
>>
>>11318050
nigga i was born in 2003 and i had a lcd for the first time when i was 12
>>
>>11318946
I saw a woman make this face once in real life. A wave of violent, homicidal, ideation the likes of which I had never experienced washed over me. Before that moment, I never understood how serial killers - or even the average, every day, run of the mill, killers could do the things that they do without remorse. I understand now, I understand wholeheartedly.
>>11318050
You could see ghosts in the reflection if you stared long enough while it was turned off. Saw one knelt by the couch, reading a book, once. Thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me until it turned the page.
>>
>>11321631
probably rear projection, i also had a big mitsubishi TV
>>
>>11340507
that joke was pretty cringe to begin with but you ruined it completely by double replying. please factor this knowledge into your future uh, "contributions"
>>
>>11319665
i grew up with one and it had a buzz and a distinct smell whenever it was powered on. we got rid of them all for flatscreens in like 2013 unfortunately
>>
>>11340962
the smell only happens if you don't clean out the dead bugs
>>
>>11340986
lmao, well we were poor as shit then and had a roach problem so it wouldnt surprise me if it had some fried roaches hiding in there
>>
>>11340852
I don't know what "joke" you're talking about Anon, and I don't understand the hostility towards replying to two posts at once.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.