[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: F6h3Lwwa0AA5TFR.jpg (300 KB, 1066x1200)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
Write Japanese...
>>
>>3414478
None of them were Japanese, aside for maybe Yuffie.
>>
>>3414478
>paying attention leads to neglect
Sounds fake, but ok.
>>
>>3414478
I didn't mind Nanaki as a kid, but nowadays he reminds me too much of furries. Not sure if I've been brainwashed by hatred or if I've just developed common sense when I start questioning talking human-like animals.
>>
Plenty of Japanese games do the; "Half the menu is in English"-meme.
>>
File: redditXIII.jpg (524 KB, 926x1073)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
>>3414534
it's because he used to be stoic and now he's a heckin' doggo meme
>>
>>3414575
Still better than just writing all of it in katakana and pretending it's a proper translation.
>>
File: 850777.jpg (66 KB, 670x376)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
looks kinda like Engrish, I guess.
>>
>>3414478
>gookmen can't even learn basic english and get filtered by something so simple
lmao
>>
>>3415916
the same reason most white americans can only speak american; their internet is japanese, their media is japanese, everything they need to consume is in Japanese. Why would they need to learn English?
>>
>>3415925
Yes, just like how Germans only speak German.
>>
>>3415930
The markets and demographics are ENTIRELY different.
>>
>>3415946
Germany, France, Italy and Spain all get more translations and dubs than anyone else, yet your average person from those countries understands English perfectly. The Japanese are brain damaged.
>>
>>3414478
japanese games have always had english text all over them.
>>
>>3415998
Ever heard of the 'Enter' key?
>>
File: 1144783734646776.png (298 KB, 1983x2487)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
>>3415955
>Germany, France, Italy and Spain all get more translations and dubs than anyone else yet

Because they're all in the same western cultural sphere, there's a demand for American and European content because people can relate to the underlying philosophical concepts and cultural references that we're not even conscious of.

That's not to mention that America has a massive population and economic might, which along with the Marshall Plan more or less meant that it was inevitable for the last few generations to be proficient in English, compounded by the internet.

So, naturally, we tend to learn English through cultural osmosis, whereas there's very little opportunity for Japanese people to do so because we're fundamentally different cultures.

They're not aliens, of course, we can still relate on a broad level as empathetic human beings, but there's a reason why the majority of non-capeshit Western media flops there or isn't even released, or why western audiences and Japanese audiences will quite often have almost polar opposite opinions on products from the Japanese subculture (anime, manga, video games, jrock/jpop/denpa music, Murakami).

Why do you think "Japan has shit taste", both ironically and unironically, is such a popular mantra amongst Japanophiles in the West?

>your average person from those countries understands English perfectly

Young people yes, but you're overestimating France, Italy, and Spain.

tl;dr western culture VS japanese culture

>>3416003
Sorry stranger, must be scary to see a block of text without Reddit spaces breaking up every line. Fixed it to hopefulyl make you feel included!
>>
>>3415955
> your average person from those countries understands English perfectly
absolutely not, source I lived in three of these countries
>>
>Deleted his post
KEK
>>
Terrible. Nomura... This is too terrible.
>>
Nojima was the writer, Kitase was the producer, directors were Hamaguchi, Toriyama, and Nomura as a trio, but Nomura's tendencies are well known, so he cops all the blame. Poor fella.
>>
No, Honkai Star Rail is why people are ignoring FF VII Rebirth. No RPG could beat it in Japan (65 million month.)
>>
>>3416532
Kitase is still the brand manager, head of CBU I and a board member.
He gets all the blame, all the time. Until he stops releasing slop.
>>
>>3415834
First of all, they might not even know lowercase letters.
>>
Go shit up the other Rebirth thread with your bugmen shitposting, zipperhead wannabe.
>>
>>3415834
Some JRPG Devs (especially Square Enix) don't understand what the use of UI design is, you know.
>>
>>3414499
The only person in the game with kanji in his name is Professor Hojo, even the Wutai people are all katakana.

>>3414478
I asked a Japanese person about this, they just find it "exotic" but it can be a bit frustrating for people who don't know any English at all. Even though most of those would be in katakana they wont always reconize the words.
>>
>>3414668
>Original game has a one off silly moment you get a giggle out of in passing.
>Modern game needs to make it an entire event
This shit just gives me a headache
>>
>>3414534
Well it's obvious you and many others' imagination of the character's voices in the OG's been shattered by the devs interpretation.
>>
Nomura: Haters may not think you're all true fanboys and fangirls, but you all know what I think?

Japanese gamer A: Not interested.
Japanese gamer B: Pathetic.
Japanese gamer C: Back off.
Japanese gamer D: A**hole…

Nomura: What?
>>
>>3416024
anon was kind and thoughtful of reddit refugees.
>>
>>3416582
Star Rail is boring and hardly an RPG.
>>
>JP sales numbers dropped by 90% in Week 2
lol
It's up to the West to save this masquerade of a trilogy.
>>
>>3414478

You okay?

"Y-E-A-H..."

You're looking weird, UI.

"I_A-M?"

Really weird.
>>
>>3415834
More like a news ticker than a UI...
>>
>The three options for a Chrono Trigger remake that were suggested by Kitase include:
>A straight up port of the game
>A visual remaster
>A FULL REMAKE IN THE SCALE OF FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

NO! NO! PLZ NO! DON'T DO THAT!
>>
>>3415930
Sieg... Fried.
>>
>>3418261
Absolutely.
>>
>>3414478
You mean, they hate Engrish huh?
>>
Final Fantasy VII is the best JRPG ever!
>>
>>3425327
And FF7R is the worst JRPG ever for me...
>>
>>3419770
"I pity you. You just don't get it at all. There's not a one-off silly moment I don't cherish!"
>>
>>3414478
Everyone, thanks for everything. And... I'm sorry. Sorry... Sorry... Especially you, FF7. I'm really sorry You've been so good to me...... I don't know what to say... I never lived up to being 'FF7R'. FF7... Maybe one day you'll meet the real 'FF7R'.
>>
>>3414478
huh? Nipss complained japanese in this game is so hard to understand as well
Nomura, Nojima really like double meaning dialogs that no one enjoys.

These old hacks can't help themselves
>>
>>3416010
TL;DR: Japanese people are stupid and are ironically incapable of learning other langues.
>>
>>3414478
Rebirth is game of the decade desu
>>
>>3414478
>being an exclusive has nothing to do with it
>>
>>3428095
holy cope
>>
>>3428211
Japanese don't care about PS.
>>
>>3414478
Ah yes, that's totally why.
Certainly it couldn't possibly have anything to do with having ass-raped the story with the abysmal MCU-aping fanfic garbage
>>
>>3429833
that was my point esl-kun
>>
>>3414478
WTF?! How did they manage to make it so ugly?!
>>
>>3416010
Bullshit, because chinks and gooks can learn english and speak it perfectly, but not japs.
>>
File: nds.jpg (70 KB, 600x718)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>3416532
Nomura gets all the blame because he's the artist, so his contributions are visual and easy to digest. The others' part of the workload is more abstract and much harder to separate from their coworkers', like the writing or general ideas. You don't have any way to know if a particular plot point or gameplay feature is from Nomura, Nojima, Kitase, or any number of literally who's on the dev team. But you know exactly who designed Cloud, so people just to tend lump everything onto the guy with a face.
>>
>>3428014
>Nomura, Nojima really like double meaning dialogs that no one enjoys.
Because the average IQ has dropped 20% since their generation
>>
>>3431879
Most Chinese and Koreans are bad at speaking English, just like the Japanese. Yeah, the Japanese English teaching system is arguably a lot worse than in Korea/China, but the underlying issue is with the languages themselves.

It's very hard for Takeshi to learn English, and it's very hard for Davido-san to learn Japanese. Meanwhile Pierre or Hans can pick up English in a few years.
>>
>>3431656
It's not ugly, just cringy.
>>
>>3419770
Somehow the bald bar scene manages to replicate the tone of the OG perfectly in this respect. It's honestly amazing how the writers could understand it for that one scene, but fuck everything else up so badly.
The Hojo encounter at Costa del Sol might be the worst offender of this in the whole game.
>>
What about "Cait Sith"?
His Japanese name should've always been pronounced like "Ket Shee" based on Gaelic.
>>
>>3414478
cuz ff7r devs hate japanese people/language.
>>
Bot thread.
>>
>>3414534
animal people/talking animals used to be unironically cool
its only disgusting leftist furry faggots that have made you question them
that shit didnt make ME or YOU into disgusting degenerate homosexuals
>>
>>3434756
wtf I like the devs now
>>
>>3414534
The issue I have with his voice is because it's basically a split personality.
>>
>>3415925
>Why would they need to learn English?
Because everyone else has decided that English is the most convenient language to interoperate in due to a combination of historical momentum and linguistic quirks making the language accessible for adult learners.
>>
>>3436985
At this point, any anon you reply to from weeks ago might as well have died after that made their post on here. Not sure why you queers act like your having conversations when /vrpg/'s just a pump n' dump board.
>B-But muh slow board!!
Not an excuse. 90% of posters in threads like these left after they make their bitchy comment. Dead Internet Theory is real on here.
>>
>>3436991
>90% of posters in threads like these left after they make their bitchy comment. Dead Internet Theory is real on here.
Thats not what Dead Internet Theory means.
Dead Internet Theory says internet consists mostly of bot activity created to brainwash you into buying something by making it appear more popular than it actually is through AI "fans" and manipulate public perception about world events etc.
>>
>>3434243
What about him? His japanese name is ケット・シー (ketto shii) which is as close of an approximation you're going to get when working with japanese syllabary.
>>
File: y_65dd4f420fac8.jpg (294 KB, 1280x720)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>3437083
That's so sus.
How can japs read this "CAIT SITH" like that even though they can't read English?
>>
>>3414478
Thanks to AI, Square Enix dumped their own human designers.
>>
Worst case scenario the part 3 would never get released...
>>
>>3414478
Aerith has a big ass
>>
>>3414534
Coomer cuck faggots ruin everything, this is why we call them faggots and disgust people and hide online.
>>
>>3439595
It's gonna be "Final Fantasy VII Redemption," I guess.
>>
>>3414478
nu-tifa looks boring and generic as you can get. without her the whole game become an homo parade. fuck ff7r.
>>
>The English battle enemy states “Pressured” and “Staggered” are respectively called “HEAT” and “BURST” in the Japanese version.

Makes no sence at all.
What does the 'Japanese version' mean?
>>
>>3414478
That is what we call a lack of creativity, y'know.
>>
>>3443147
"japanese = hiragana + katakana + kanji + engrish"-meme.
>>
>>3414478
The question is, how long will Janglish stay alive in video games.
>>
>>3422866
for sure. breaking-news junkies' work.
>>
>>3414478
SE has just shat the bed with the mainline ones with 15, 7 Remake, 16 and now 7 Rebirth. So sad and hopeless.
>>
FF7 was incredibly innovative at the time and influenced the genre for a decade, but FF7 Remake and Rebirth aren't and don't.
>>
jp ppl dont have ps5...
>>
>>3422985
Toriyama will raise from his grave if they do that just like he raised from retirement when murricans made db evolution
>>
>>3414478
the devs got high as f...
>>
Terrible game desu
Added to the list of the only FFs I would NEVER recommend (9, 13, 15, 16, both 7 remakes)
>>
>3458978
Kill yourself you necrobumping, copypasta shitposter.
>>3458742
>>
>>3418261
Just cringed at some parts of Rebirth.
Battle/Menu UI design included.
>>
>>3414478
not an rpg
>>
>>3432048
>Nomura gets all the blame because he's the artist

Hell, people try to blame him for Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday when it was the fault of Hajime Tabata aka the hack who also ruined VersusXIII with his FFXV casual pandering slop
>>
>>3414575
This, nips even think it's weird and off-putting if the interface elements are too japanese.
>>
>>3460967
What's your goal with necrobumping threads? What're you attempting to do?
>>
>>3458978
Most FF i wouldn't reccomend are from X to latest one,what is the point if it isn't made by sakaguchi.
>>
>>3414478
Who cares? Teenagers these days don't know FF series, I mean.
>>
>>3414478
>>
>>3415925
>Why would they need to learn English?
Because Japanese is an extremely inefficient language.
>>
Nothing. There's nothing we can do for Square Enix now.
RIP.
>>
>>3464356
If they want to learn a efficient language they would just learn german. English only good for cause me bad english still understand.
>>
>3467453
Fucking kill yourself necrobumper. What threads could you even be trying to kick off the board with your no life shitposting?
>>
>>3467596
And you're necrobumper too.
>>
>>3468513
I don't think necrobumping is the issue, there's been multiple posts that have been deleted by mods and subsequently reappeared. I think the mods may be at war with each other over this thread.
>>
SE must delete Chadlley and Mai. They annoyed me so badly every opportunity they had.
>>
>go full retard and chase trends like nfts and game of thrones YEARS after that shit dies, moviegames, "LE HECKIN SUBVERT LE HECKIN EXPECTATIONS!!!!" in the most requested remake of all time
>NOOOO WHY IS OUR COMPANY DYING
You shall deserve it.
That's all.
>>
>>3414478
I have FF7 Remake on Ps4. I really nenachu this series lol If I had the room for more games I'd get the 2nd and 3rd one. I'm certain all of them are not only reputable yet ever-learning too. They teach you really great lessons! For instance how to master magic! Remember: Kekopuchua lol The one thing I'm really worried about though is Square Enix. I seriously think they should just shut down or something. Isn't that enough commemoration? Which reminds me I gotta get back to playing my SNES App on my SmartPhone.
>>
>>3414534
>have a copy of red XIII tattoo for over 20 years
>now it needs to be hidden forever

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.