[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 500.jpg (53 KB, 500x500)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
The perfect videogame.
>>
literally the second worst game in the series nice bait, though
>>
>>3466397
Nice job outing yourself as someone who hasn't played all the FF games
>>
>>3466401
nothing after 9 was a proper FF. nomura needs to make his own shit(like twewy) and stop raping the corpse of sakaguchi's baby.

8 is absolutely the second worst, with 2 being the worst.
>>
Ff8 was interesting in that you could accumulate exp without actually killing anything.
I'll have to do a lv100 pacifist challenge at some point.
>>
I had a big belly laugh from that. Thank you, OP.
>>
>>3466866
>VIII-hater is obese
many such cases
>>
>>3466535
>Ff8 was interesting in that you could accumulate exp without actually killing anything.
I genuinely did not know this.
Last time I played I just farmed spells out of enemies and stat boosted.
>>
>>3467034
"Pacifist" is a little deceitful though.
You still have to deal damage to the enemy.
You get a percentage of the EXP relative to dmg done to the enemy.

50% of the exp reward dealing 50% of the enemy's HP.

Micro Missile Limitbreak would be ideal, as it's a gravity based percentage attack that hits all targets.
You can learn it from "Missile" drop by the robots in the D-Prison on disc 2.

I'm still assessing where the best place to grind with hit and run tactics is.

T-Rex and Chimera encounters aren't frequent enough.
Maybe Ochu or Vysage around Timber.
>>
>>3467216
"True Pacifist" would probably require Auto-Reflect so enemies hurt themselves.

Or maybe an "Exorcist" path. Where you use restorative spells on undead.
>>
File: IMG_3536.jpg (21 KB, 600x705)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>ff8 is my favourite along with 7
>people hate it
>>
>>3467241
to be 100% honest, both 7 and 8 are atrocious games and you should feel bad for liking them.
>>
>>3467251
oh wow i will never recover
>>
>>3467254
just think about it. what are the redeeming qualities of these games? everything about them is awful, they are just bad movies about angsty teenagers rebelling against the government. youre supposed to grow out of this stuff.
>>
>>3467258
trains
>>
File: comf.jpg (25 KB, 270x270)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I replayed the steam version of 8 last week with a fan mod that changes major plot points like getting rid of meantions of time kompression and it also flipped the amnesia plot upside down by having characters remembering that they grew up together, this gave a new depth to the story that made a lot more sense due to how the dialogues flew more naturally and were less awkward, and it made squall more of a competent young leader by having him assert his new commander role for SeeD instead of whining like an emo git every step of the way, it was refreshing. Though rinoa is still an annoying bitch, all the rewrites in the world cannot save how forced and unorganic the romance between her and squall is in that game. Quistis should have had a more involved role instead of giving up after disc 1, hell, she should have been ultimecia instead and worked behind the scenes to sabotage SeeD. Or even better, have selphie/rinoa/quistis be a candidate to turn into the evil bad guy at the end of the game depending on character's choice and who they date, I like to believe that this feature was originally in the game but was ultimately scrapped.
>>
>mod-troon plays troonish fanfiction and cries about it
Grim.
>>
>>3467581
>Or even better, have selphie/rinoa/quistis be a candidate to turn into the evil bad guy at the end of the game depending on character's choice and who they date, I like to believe that this feature was originally in the game but was ultimately scrapped.
This was in one of the original drafts but considered too bleak.
One of the inital concepts was that all sorceress are tainted by power and turn evil. The concept was that whoever Squall dates becomes the Sorceress, and he, their knight, with the story having you believe they were going to be the exception to the rule, only to have it turned around in the final act and reveal that even true love cannot save them from Hynes corruption. Squall has to destroy his love to save everyone he loves.
>>
>>3466535
>Ff8 was interesting in that you could accumulate exp without actually killing anything.
Not quite. You can get *really powerful* without killing anything, but you have to kill regular enemies to get exp and level so you couldn't pacifist lvl 100.
It's a weird game because enemies and bosses scale with (and sometimes more than) you, and junctions are more powerful than leveling, so you're actually the most-powerful at the lowest level with the most magic and summon abilities (which you don't have to kill enemies to get).
The hardest way to play the game would be to constantly grind enemies and level up without doing all the magic / item mod / card stuff.
>>
Enemies scale with the party level, but there's also a variable range.

At lower levels, enemies might be 2 levels above or below the party. But at higher levels there can be a difference of 15 levels or more.

Obviously higher levels reward more exp.

Tonberry King's lv Up & Down abilities wouldn't be viable in a pacifist run. But I've seen people level up Edea to 100 in 45 minutes by maxing enemy levels that way.

Diabolos' Mug ability might be off the table too. I mean, I think it's treated as a boss with No EXP award. And technically you don't "kill" it.
But stealing a missile would be the only way for Quistis to learn Micro Missile if you're not defeating enemies.

A pacifist run would also mean NO AP points to learn GF abilities, outside of bosses.
>>
>>3467706
>A pacifist run would also mean NO AP points to learn GF abilities, outside of bosses.
I guess even Card Modding enemies would be off the table, too.
Last time I played I ONLY played forced encounters and bosses, was that a pacifist run? That's the easiest way to play the game, but I was like lvl 10. Getting to 100 without killing enemies seems impossible.
>>
>>3466406
>proper ff
>every game is substantially different from the last aside from terms
>>
>>3467740
Nah, just time consuming. It's a dumb challenge for players that have already done everything else.
>>
>>3467216
>Micro Missile Limitbreak would be ideal, as it's a gravity based percentage attack that hits all targets.

My mistake. It's a Single Target attack. For some reason I thought it was equivalent to the gravija spell that we never get.
A guide said Micro Missile does 50% at crisis level 1, and up to 90% damage at crisis level 4.
I went to confirm that today but realized the 9999 damage cap Makes that kind of irrelevant in the late game.
>>
File: 1713792225217774.png (277 KB, 462x299)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
>>3466394
for me to poop on!
>>
>>3466406
II isn’t actually that bad. It’s fun to play if you don’t abuse the mechanics. VII’s mechanics literally undermine the act of playing the game. Why should I bother with random encounters when I don’t get gil and xp doesn’t matter because of level scaling? Not to mention the junction system incentivized hoarding spells instead of actually using magic.
>>
>>3470773
*meant to say VIII, not VII
>>
Rinoa is NOT Ultimecia.
>>
but she will be which is why she needed to be killed before taking out Ultimecia for the perfect ending.
>>
>FF VIII is too high IQ for /vrpg/
the absolute state of this board kek
>>
>>3471181
>FF8: Rinoa is (not) Ultimecia.
It's a rather complicated time-loop:
Original timeline:
Seifer and Rinoa stay together. Rinoa becomes Ultimecia. Goes back in time to time and processes Edea
Game timeline:
Seifer dumps Rinoa (Ultimecia exists #notmysorceress). Rinoa gets together with Squall. Defeats Ultimecia.
Post-game timeline:
No Ultimecia. Seifer and Rinoa stay together... original timeline repeats.
>>
File: rinoa.jpg (78 KB, 640x480)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>3471502
Not quite. Rinoa is always fated to become Ultimecia. Her relationship with Squall is the entire point of her wanting Time Compression. She says as much during the game after you save her in space and board the Ragnarok.

Combined with 'Squall's sword will pierce my heart', and Griever we know that a past version of our Rinoa ends up being Ultimecia.

Now is she fated to be Ultimecia in every iteration, or will the cycle eventually break? No one knows.
>>
it's funny how the game rewards abusing the cards and junctions to low level the whole game, even not giving you exp from bosses, but in the final dungeon it all comes back at you and the difficulty spikes waaaay up
>>
Now this is a game that needs a remake
>>
>>3471748
The final dungeon is still easier low-level IME. High or low lvl at the end I have a healer and 2 dps and just keep the dps at low enough hp so they can spam limit breaks. The final boss drops you to 1hp toward the end, as if to encourage this style of play. Maybe other people abuse triples and spam magic?
>>
>>3466535
You can scum spells from items and bosses, stay level 9, and have 255 sats. I remember doing a 100 level playthrough and greiver has like 1mm hp.
>>
>>3472274
Also card fish then cactuses for AP. I did this run three times.
>>
>>3471779
I would also accept a 2D de-make.
>>
>>3467258
FF VII is about adults, Yuffie is the only teenager.
>>
>>3466394
It's not, but it is pretty good.
>>
>>3472279
My favorite way to play, takes a Long time but worth it to me.
Card fish on beach to boost up quezacotl and Shiva, get ifrit, back to beach to max out those three GFs then move on.
That process can take weeks but worth the effort later.
>>
>>3474069
Also you can level ifrit with seifer for ammo refine.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.