[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Let's talk about tactical RPG games.
What are your favorites? What have you played? What's on your backlog?
>>
>>3466593
Langrisser (SNES), Lord of Darkness (SNES), Tharcia & Holy War (SNES) are all you need.
>>
the first langrisser(warsong in the us) on the genesis has always been my fave, but disgaea is pretty awesome too.
>>
>>3466593
I have only ever played Ogre Battle 64. My friend though really loves Fire Emblem and the whole Ogre series.
>>
>>3466593
I liked them in the 90s then started hating how slow they are, but now I'm getting back into them. The fire emblem games have harsh enough difficulty settings now that they don't just disintegrate if you put any thought into them, although if I fight through one I get burned out for a while after
>>
FFTA is my favorite, because the setting is pure awesome, but I keep coming back to Disgaea because it's complex and interesting enough to warrant continuous grinding.
>>
File: 168580-1.png (383 KB, 600x447)
383 KB
383 KB PNG
>>3466593
Vandal Hearts 2 is the hill I'll die on. It's the closest one thematically to both FFT and TO. Game was panned for its asynchronous turn-based system, but there's a patch now to make it more traditionally affair. I remember being blown away by the fact units actually wore their weapons and armor visibly, meaning you didn't have to go into menus to see what they could do.
>>
>>3466593
Do we mean just like any sort of SRPGs? The only ones I've finished so far are Final Fantasy Tactics and Farland Story. I enjoyed both quite a bit, and started up Majin Tensei last night, which I'm enjoying a lot so far.
>>
>>3466593
Jagged Allaiance 2 is the goat.
I still Love FFT and Der Langrisser/III.
FE4-8 are games I have played a lot.
A lot more tactics and a lot less RPG, Battle Brothers is an amazing game with tons of content.
Troubleshooter story is weird, full of MTL still and weird loot/skills/orbs acquisition, but gameplay is fucking addicting.

Beyond gameplay? Most entries are easy, but SRT series is the reason I learned japanese. If you liekd mecha ever, you cannot go wrong.
>>
File: Vandal_Hearts_Coverart.png (112 KB, 256x242)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
Vandal Hearts 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. Solid story, great mission variety and it doesn't overload you with retarded mechanics and is a very straight forward game.
>>
>>3466645
>but there's a patch now to make it more traditionally affair
HOL UP MOTHERFUCKER
>>
fire emblem thracia 776, smt devil survivor 1&2, langrisser 4&5, natural doctrine, yggdra union, front mission 2&4, moekuri
>>
I got filtered by Disgaea 7. I've beaten every other disgaea except 4. I got stuck at episode 4. I just get wrecked everytime I try. I guess I should be hitting the item world but I've never had to do this early in any other Disgaea game...
>>
>>3466645
>>3466673
> I remember being blown away by the fact units actually wore their weapons and armor visibly
both vandal hearts did that and it was indeed great
>>
>>3466593
Honestly I don't like them, I feel like every battle takes 2 hours because both your turn and especially the enemy's take a lot of time. I want to like them but damn

I've tried FF:Tactics, Front mission, tactics ogre, a couple fire emblems and I always drop them.
I'll try triangle strategy eventually because it looks nice but I don't have high hopes.
>>
>>3467334
Try Tactics Ogre Reborn and turn the speed up.
>>
File: vh3.webm (2.98 MB, 600x410)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>3467294
The first game doesn't really change on your equipment, just when you class change. Which is still nice but I don't want to give people the wrong information.
>>
>>3467334
The new-style Fire Emblems from the 3ds onwards have a setting to completely skip the enemy turn and most animations.
>>
>>3466601
I always found Fire Emblem's approach different enough be its own thing. If FFT is tabletop RPG, then FE is its wargaming equivalent. If that makes any sense.
>>
I'm looking forward to that Capes game coming out next month. I like Nu XCOM so I think I'll be happy with how it turns out.
>>
I love SRW
>>
>>3467334
>every battle takes 2 hours

no they don't unless you're madly slow yourself and somehow dragged out the battles by not winning the objective or taking too long to kill stuff. also fastforward/turbo button in most emus these days.
>>
File: YUWNFA_RagnaEnd.png (426 KB, 720x952)
426 KB
426 KB PNG
>>3466593
>What's on your backlog?
Langrisser 4. i got bored of it and watched animes instead.
i did eventually beat Yggdra Union(GBA version) which is was kino.
>>
>>3468004
>which IS kino.

and more hippie ending pic related.
>>
>>3466661
>Der Langrisser/III.
DL is not L3. DL is L2 but more shitty.
>>
Are there any other games that have branching paths? I've played Langrisser and Tactics Ogre and more than anything I love just going in blind and making decisions and seeing where the story takes me. Fire Emblem 1 is similar if you include gaiden chapters but something on the scale of TO: Luct or Langrisser II would be incredible.
>>
>>3466593
Any tactical RPGs that also add Dungeon crawling into the gameplay?
This seen like a great combination to me but well, o dont know any games that do this
Except FE Gaiden
>>
>>3469041
If you mean exploration with one perspective and then the battle system is tactical I'd actually refer to a few MMOs. Wakfu, Dofus and Atlantica Online, there might be more. Otherwise, if you consider games where you stay in tactical mode the entire time, Disgaea has the item-world and similar systems where you explore floors of a dungeon but you're always in combat. Honestly, the closest thing you're describing is just the roguelike genre.
>>
>>3466593
There's a very basic fft clone. They release like every year one. It's atrociously unfun.
>>
I like them in concept, but I'm just not good at them at all. I've picked up several over the years and, aside from FFTA and FE:A, just never gotten far in most. It's not long before I feel like I'm barely scraping by.
>>
>>3469200
The best advice I can give is to wait for the enemy to approach you. Depending on the game, moving usually reduces the offensive actions you can take, so if you let the enemy waste their turn moving to you, you can respond with full force and usually wipe them out, forcing their next unit to walk in, etc. This applies to 90% of SRPGs I've played, it's especially important for bosses who often can one-shot your units.
>>
>>3469041
Solasta, if you consider that a tactical rpg. Which I do.

It has hundreds of user campaigns. A mod to add lots of new capabilities.
>>
File: boringbitch.jpg (210 KB, 1357x1600)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>3468004
>>3468008
Yggdra-bros we'll never fight alone!

Finished Kino in the Knightmare for the second time the day before!

Next srpg i'm gonna play probably gonna be shining force ressurection of the dark dragon
>>
File: activetroops.png (688 KB, 1600x928)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
>>3466645
That patch sounds interesting. Only ever played FFT and TO:R, but if this is close sign me up.

I actually have been working on an indie FFT/TO inspired game for the past year. These games have a lot of interacting parts, a lot of work for a dev to make properly. I see now why we have such a sore lack of them.
>>
This shit genre honestly deserves to die. All games are half baked trash that wants to tackle political and mature themes but they all end up like wet farts. Last trend stuff with Unicorn Overcuck is including NTR in the stories and autobattler.
>>
>>3471610
What were you expecting with a name like Unicorn Overlord? TO is where its at, anything Matsuno touches turns to gold
>>
>>3466645
Anon mentioned in an earlier thread, but VH2 has one of the wildest fucking openings to a game. It really sets the tone only for the player to spend the next few hours playing as children before the timeskip.
>>
>>3471610
Based response.
I was told Tactics Ogre is some really deep political game with some really really deep gameplay.
Turns out neither are true, the politics in this game is high school level, written for teenagers, its like Code Gayass
And the gameplay is extremely shallow, you just click on menus until you find the encounter then you do combat, the combat is alright but the gameplay as a whole is shallow.
JRPG tards think gameplay is only combat but that is far from the truth.

I will admit that Tactics Ogre has good combat compared to your average Jrpg slop
>>
>>3471800
>>3471610
Imagine going around looking for things you dislike and expending energy and even getting angry about them. Couldn't be me, as I am not a fat fuck with a cortisol imbalance.

TO is a masterpiece, sounds to me like you didn't even beat it. Go back to one of your 18 fallout threads
>>
Natural Doctrine was a neat game and I hate reviewers for slagging it for being too hard for their poor baby brains.
>>
>>3471800
>>3471610
quite possibly the dumbest shit I've ever read here
>>
File: 1705932205902761.png (1.08 MB, 640x640)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>3469041
Picrel is exactly that. Unfortunately I never found the actual tactical side to be that interesting
>>
>>3466593
Unicorn Overlord was the last one I've enjoyed in quite a while; I had been waiting an awfully long time for a worthy successor to Ogre Battle. Other than that, some of my favorites are Yggdra Union, Wild Arms XF, FFT, and Growlanser 4. Jagged Alliance 2 and X-COM are also among my favorite games of all time, if you consider those to be a part of the genre.

>>3466608
I like the genre a lot less now than I used to, mostly because I think most of them are both slow and too shallow to justify having such slow combat. I'm fine with individually positioning units when that actually matters and there's some thought to be put into it, but it gets old quick when you're just repeatedly ordering units to advance into the enemy and attack.

>>3471841
It really needed some quality of life features. Constantly needing to spend a ton of turns to get your slow-ass units into position when there aren't even any enemies present was really annoying.
>>
File: 1605678971367.jpg (82 KB, 616x353)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>
>>3472972
>It really needed some quality of life features. Constantly needing to spend a ton of turns to get your slow-ass units into position when there aren't even any enemies present was really annoying.

Perhaps, but writing the whole game off because it was too hard for reviewers who want to zerg rush everything is too much. I ain't saying the game is perfect. But it's neat.
>>
>>3471832
I played and finished the game, its not good.
The final chapter alone fucks up the pacing so hard its irredeemable, the side quests are awful, the gameplay is shallow, the world is so barebones and juvenile its like a high school student decided to write a game about politics.
Its just a mediocre game that drags too much for its own good and collapses under its own weight, stretches out the gameplay while offering nothing new in return. The dungeon crawling aspect is bloated and awfully designed.

Fallout shits on this game, you retarded monkey, lol.
>>
>>3473142
>Fallout shits on this game, you retarded monkey, lol.

zoom zoom
>>
>>3473142
>and juvenile its like a high school student decided to write a game about politics.
Utterly meaningless and vapid criticism
>>
>Tactics Ogre Encounter design.

Walk into a generic ugly world map with flags.
Visit the flag to progress
Go to the battlefield
A random commander "literally who" appears
hehehehe hohohohoh hahahaha now you are going to suffer and im going to teach you a lesson
Commander is just a single unit but buffed
Gets falls on his face at the battlefield on the verge of dying drops a random socket
Cough ahha now you see i as a father of 9 adored by the family won't be able to feed my kids now please be sad, screams
Invisible crowd applaud and claps in the background
Battle is over

Repeat this for 50 times until you fight a main story boss

Do the same thing for 200 hours
Wouldn't be so bad if the combat wasn't a slow tedious slog

JRPG tard: wow this is heckin awesome.
>>
>>3473157
>JRPG tard
Stop right there. I like jRPGS but you won't see me defending this turd. It plays like a MMO.
>>
>>3473154
Woldbuilding is thin paper, it has no depth whatsoever, the lore, the history of the nations, the locations, the origins of the magic and special items, it doesnt qualify, it makes game of thrones look so deep, it makes dragon age look deep, its just juvenile and utterly stupid.

The writers think that by preaching out moralism, and war philosophy it will make them look deep, but at the end it and because of lack of exploration it makes them look pretentious and stupid.
>>
>>3473160
What should i call them?
>>
File: deneb.png (33 KB, 256x224)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>3473164
>Woldbuilding is thin paper, it has no depth whatsoever
All wrong, you just don't know about the Ogre Battle Saga and the game isn't handholding you
>>
File: 1713832174066069.jpg (125 KB, 1242x828)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>3473157
>Walk into a generic ugly world map with flags.
>Visit the flag to progress
>Go to the battlefield
You are just complaining about an ENTIRE genre with this, so it's clearly not for you
>A random commander "literally who" appears
Why should I be expected to not every single commander of the other warring factions? There's plenty of screen time for the Knights of Lodis in the game
>inchoerent retard babble
not going to address this
>Repeat this for 50 times until you fight a main story boss
So what, you are mad that the game has actual gameplay? It's clear you don't even like the entire idea behind all SRPGs to begin with
>>
SRPG's tend to filter the ADHD zoomies. The worst mistake a studio or dev building an SRPG can make is trying to appease this crowd. Although, I did take great joy reading all the rage and seethe from people who found TO:R too difficult. It made my playthrough all the sweeter.
>>
File: redemption reapers.jpg (92 KB, 616x353)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
I bought this a ways back when it was on sale but never got around to playing it then. It also got reviewed pretty harshly because of the difficulty. I understand that since launch it's been patched a bit to rebalance resource gains so things like weapon maintenance are less of a bitch. I'm only about 8 or 9 hours in and have done minimal farming for silver ingots and such. But I haven't had too rough a time. In any case I'm rather enjoying the game. I like setting up combo chains. I bet the reviewers just tried to smack everything like tards instead of using proper positioning and getting your squad to support each other. It's a fun game. Though that said 50 bucks is WAY to high. Would recommend if you can find a solid sale.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.