[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714173885939.jpg (139 KB, 616x353)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
The remake of this guy just game out, so we're having a DRPG thread.
>>
Playing the second game

>super fast combat when you're holding down X/A
>autowalk, even across multiple maps
>varied outdoor areas
>race/gender/class specific portraits but you can change portraits to use other classes'

I love it. I wish they kept the vancian magic system from the first game though.
>>
>>3466857
Literally bought a psp for this game because I was a big etrian odyssey fan

Biggest we have Etrian Odyssey at home moment thankfully they released Elminage 1
>>
File: eou team.png (153 KB, 400x480)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
Just beat EOU1 classic, after beating the post game I'm probably gonna play Potato Flowers next or Wizardry 1-3 SNES. Any good western DRPG recommendations that aren't tile-dancers? Nothing against them I'm just in the mood for stuff closer to Wizardry.
>>
File: 1695914075579250.jpg (297 KB, 1267x713)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>3466857
I was just about to make a thread too, fun series. Probably should have used this pic instead. Its out on Steam, PS5, and the Switch
>>
>>3466932
Elminage Original is okay, my main problem with it is that its dungeons are too large and have too many pointless rooms. I'm finding the dungeons in CoH2 a lot more enjoyable so far.
>>
>>3467234
I don't mind big dungeons, it's fun to explore what I can't stand is the autistic alchemy system, it would be okay if it was sort of optional upgrades but if you want anything good you have to use that shit
>>
>>3466946
>Wizardry 1-3 SNES
>SNES
don't do that, the campaigns arent even in order
>>
>>3467250
Which version should I play then?
>>
>>3467240
My problem with Elminage 1's dungeons is that they are intricate but feel somewhat procedurally generated and have next to no placed content. It takes a lot of busywork to explore every nook and cranny but there's little reward. With CoH2 I can see chests in the distance and try to find out how to reach them, or simply how to reach the other side of the dungeon to progress to the next region. That's another thing I like a lot about CoH2, it feels like Wizardry 6-8 / Grimoire where all the maps are connected together and you go to different regions on foot like it's an open world rather than just selecting them from a menu like in Elminage or Dungeon Travelers 2.
>>
>>3467313
the ps1 version
>>
How are you supposed to use devils without destroying your party affinity? A party full of those blue gnomes?

Also are idols good?
>>
>>3467584
Are those Japanese only?
>>
anyone knows what those two stars mean right above the map's name? I'm guessing the first is for fully revealing the tiles, but I haven't gotten the second one
>>
>>3466857
How's the translation? I'll pick it up if it's not too fruity.
>>
>>3469565
The first star can't be for fully revealing tiles, I have it for maps where I still haven't explored lots of tiles. Maybe it's for when you've picked up all the chests? I also have a star for the "Forest's Treasure" map in Witch's Forest even though I've never visited it yet.
>>
>>3469548
yeah but there's an English option in the menus that translations stuff (outside of names)
>>
>>3466857
On the PC version, ss there an in-game option to switch text language, or do you need to do it through Steam?
>>
>>3469920
i don't see any language option on main menu, probably need to set it up on steam
>>
https://youtu.be/Nb9XC26LGQk?si=3DtfO3YUtjjskwKG
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2929540/Dragon_Ruins/
Weren't one of you retards excited for this? Anyways, its out today.
>>
>>3466905
>Perma death
How is this allowed?

I keep hearing people recommending newcomers to start with CoH2 instead. Am I missing much if I skipped CoH1?
>>
>>3472364
Perma-death is just one of those Wizardry mechanics, in general CoH1 is just an anime reskin wizardry.

>I keep hearing people recommending newcomers to start with CoH2 instead.
It's an easier game with better difficulty curve, handmade dungeons (CoH1 uses randomgen), and plenty of QoL improvements. CoH1 can be rather brutal especially for those new to the genre while CoH2 is very beginner friendly.

>Am I missing much if I skipped CoH1?
Not really, the games are completely separate from each other.
>>
>>3472308
>Asset pack game from the devs who brought you asset pack game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2395150/Demon_Lord_Reincarnation/
>>
File: bricked.png (5 KB, 204x127)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
i think this might be bricked
>>
>>3473036
Be sure to make 3 of them good and 3 of them evil. Also put your Celestian, Halfling and Sprite on the front row.
>>
>>3472371
>in general CoH1 is just an anime reskin wizardry.
please dont post retarded things about wizardry
>>
>>3473126
Nonono, he's right. The team that did the Wizardry Xth games in Japan split up and part of them ended making CoH1. Under the hood, CoH1 is nigh identical to Wizardry Xth2.
>>
>>3473492
>The team that did the Wizardry Xth games in Japan
Thats not wizardry.
>>
>>3472371
>Perma-death is just one of those Wizardry mechanics
Thank god for the save function. Gonna save scum whenever I can. I got burnt real bad after losing my Samurai at lv8 with my best equipment for stepping on a invisible trap following a bad encounter.
>>
So is CoH1 worth playing or should I just skip to 2?
>>
>>3473505
Do you like menu-ing? CoH2 offers many QoL improvements that cuts down all the slog.
>>
>>3472308
>>3472495
>AI images with filter on top
ew
>>
>>3473608
>>AI images
They're from an asset pack that's been on sale for at least 8 years.
>>
>>3473501
Yeah, it's pretty forgiving due to save-scumming. Had similar experience with Labyrinth of Souls, though perma part of death was thankfully not a common occurrence. I do like the concept, but these games are not exactly built around it.
>>
>>3467584
what are their differences?
>>
File: pwwyhZI.gif (819 KB, 500x281)
819 KB
819 KB GIF
>play COHG2
>no idea what i am doing
>read some guides here and there
>about classes and rerolls
>realised it has perma death
>and everything is expensive as hell
>having fun either way
>try grinding
>somehow reached floor 2
>see treasure chest
>disarm using ranger
>its poison gas trap
>whole party get hit with poison
>meh, it will go away on its own
>it doesn't
>whole party got wiped during battle
>cant even escape
>try to load previous save
>the automatic save overwrite my manual save >WHICH IS AFTER my party got wiped
WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT
>>
>>3475711
You just described my first 2 hours with this kusoge.

Do yourself a favor and roll yourself a sorc. Monsters in later dungeon (eg. Ancient Labyrinth) will be highly resistant to phys damage and will require light magic. Also they have teleport to fast travel between towns.
>>
>>3473494
It's more wizardry than 6-8
>>
>>3475711
That's... just how these games work. It's not an issue once you become accustomed to such things and take it slowly, learning to prepare for such adventures.
>>
>Boss room with adjacent tiles with anti-magic and instant kill attributes
>Need to find items for each of your party members because lol no levitation for you
>Said items are limited to 1 per store across different towns
How is this allowed?
>>
>>3475822
Nope, you have no idea what the original games were trying to do.
>>
>>3476751
Certainly not letting you rest everywhere
>>
>>3475822
>>3477107
lol, non-hub gameworlds really mindbroke japs
>>
>>3477113
Hub world =/= just rest everywhere and throw out of the window any need for resource management
>>
>>3477132
You get constantly attacked while resting in 7 and competing NPC parties are simulated, so the resource you manage is time, there's just no designated safe place to flee back to in those games.
>>
>>3477157
Sounds awful, no wonder it killed the series everywhere
>>
>>3477165
lol, you haven't even played it? Figures.
>>
>>3477170
I did and dropped it because of the awful aesthetics and not playing anything like real wizardry
>>
>>3477172
lol
>>
>>3473036
If you want to min-max then just take 6 Felpiers.
They have balanced stat (except low luck which is the least important stat) with the highest total stat sum and high affinity with other Felpiers.
>>
File: brandish dark.jpg (524 KB, 1600x1200)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
>>3466932
I really liked Brandish. It's not really the same kind of dungeon crawler, but I just like to bring it up any chance I get and someone talks about PSP shit. Falcom or Xseed or whomever the fuck did a dick job at marketing that game. Which bites because I'd love nothing more than for them to have remade 2 and 3 the same way. PUT IT ON STEAM!
>>
>>3479516
i will play it on my vita just for you thanks anon!
>>
>>3466857
I think my biggest problem with CoH and CoH2 is that when paying them all I could think was that if I want a all in Wizardry clone I should just play Elminage instead. They weren't bad but had nothing interesting going on.
>>
File: brandish.jpg (125 KB, 1280x720)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>3479528
Nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmYw_HQhx8&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgTmZ8PRvllyzXeXSqOIKsp

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.