[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I heard a schizo theory a very long time ago that every Final Fantasy is actually meant to be satirical, and since then it's stuck with me so much that I can't help but feel like there's some truth to it. Please tell me I'm not alone here.
>>
what is it satirising? i mean the only thing i can think of is 7 satirising greenpeace with Avalanche ironically targeting the echo friendly energy they switched to from fossil fuels
>>
>Game makes light of something
>OMG WHAT A SATIRE!!
This site just gets dumber and dumber.
>>
>>3467353
>every location with a mako reactor ends up a barren shithole, drained of life
>eco friendly
mmm
>>
>>3470316
Like daily
>>
>>3467349
No it's not satirical but it's silly sometimes.
>>3470316
Also this
>>
>>3467349
ask me how I know you're a zoomer.
>>
>>3467349
Every FF? I can see 1, 4, 7, 8, and 13, but ain't no fucking way 6 or 10 are satires.
>>
>>3467349
Try reading scifi fantasy shounen manga and you'll get it
>>
Segagaga and Moon: Remix RPG Adventure be considered satirical?
The former makes a comment on Jap work culture inside Sega, but in an exaggerated way as playing like an RPG whole. The latter I heard was about the player cleaning up after the RPG hero, who would've been the protagonist, causing trouble or something.
>>
File: was it satire.jpg (139 KB, 800x1000)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Here OP, you stupid fuck.
I'll save your thread for you.

Now get strapped in, we're on the express line to page 11. Thank-you for understanding.
>>
>>3470623
1 and 4? Run it down for me.
>>
>>3467349
The dev lore I’ve heard is that sakaguchi intended for final fantasy to be his last game before retiring but it was so successful that the execs ordered a sequel. He was checked out so he phoned in FFII not intending for it to be successful, but it ended up being another hit. Each time a sequel was ordered the team (under sakaguchi’s guidance) would make it more absurd than the previous installment. This culminated with FFIV in which the party travels to the moon on a flying whale. If it’s is true then I’d guess they probably realized they had something special and decided for take it seriously around FFVI or VII.
>>
>>3470668
1 as a satirical take on Ultima

4 is a satirical take on the previous 3 entries

That's the Qest RD I can give you.
>>
ITT: people who don't know what satire is
>>
>>3470795
Satire is when I say I want to fuck your mom, but the audience knows I'm lying because she's a hambeast
>>
>>3467349
Only if you're some irony poisoned hipster.
>>
>>3467349
That's actually true. Not only satyromaniacs yet also nymphomaniacs. You know the CG cut scenes? Watch them upsidedown and play the sound backwards—be careful though—traumatizing stuff! I warn you!
>>
The story telling in most Japanese games is so stupid that it basically feels like satire. In that sense, your theory is sort of true
>>
>>3467349
Honest question but how old are you?

FF had humour and levity. They're commenting on social issues. Shinra is like a parody of cooperation. It subvrrts expectations like how Cloud thought he was the hero but wasnt. But I dont think satirical.
>>
>>3467349
7 is very goofy in places, that's what makes it great, but its definitely not satirical. At times its as serious as it gets. Even 9 is despise its fairytale look.

You could maybe say that about the remakes since they like their sillyness too much and when they go into the serious territory, its never convincing. But I wouldn't describe it as satirical either, just a failure of modern Square skills and values.
>>
>>3470641
That's not satirizing anything.
If it were, Jack's writing would've committed to him being the Anti-Straightman, saying "FUCK YOU!" to everything in the story with no reverence of taking ANY of it seriously. The insincerity "Edge Kino" was a marketing ploy, but the game turned out to be another generic Isekai No.(x) plot, but with sparse, hard-butt vulgarity thrown in for teh lolz.
>>
Bump
>>
>>3467349
I'd say it's Satirical in some places - Shinra's exec board made up of morons, theme parks being ripoffs and bodybuilders all being closet homosexuals are a few Satirical bits I can think of.

Other than that 7 is pretty straight when it comes to its main messages - don't trust the supposedly good intentions of megacorps, being a weird loner only gets you so far in life; and money and modern convenience is worthless if the environment becomes irreplaceably damaged in the process and dooms everyone.

I'd say 10 is more biting in it's Satire in the sense that it takes shots for blindly following tradition and being literal with religious dogma rarely helps anyone for long. But Japanese Devs have been banging that drum for over 30 years now.
>>
>>3467353
How is draining the earth's life force eco friendly?
>>
>>3473516
Mako energy is safe and effective, chud.
>>
>>3473516
Its ironic, basically Shinra WAS using fossil fuels and polluting the planet.
They then found a technology, Mako reactors, that doesn't pollute the planet.
Of course the fantasy element and metaphor is that they are literally killing the planet by draining its lifeforce, which is a similar analogy to how some environmentalists believe in Gaia
>>
>>3467349
>Satire
The more people use this word the more convinced I am that they just discovered this word.
>>
>>3467353
>i mean the only thing i can think of is 7 satirising greenpeace with Avalanche ironically targeting the echo friendly energy they switched to from fossil fuels
Nothing about "clean energy" is eco-friendly because they ultimately exist to sustain something that's fundamentally unsustainable (industrial society) to begin with and its promises of endless growth. Every talk of transferring energy resources is just pure snake oil to get you to support the neoliberal globohomo Geist in some shape or form. Of course on the pragmatic side of things, nuclear is still preferable to coal.
>>3473523
>Of course the fantasy element and metaphor is that they are literally killing the planet by draining its lifeforce, which is a similar analogy to how some environmentalists believe in Gaia
They couldn't exactly go all in on the deep ecology agenda, but reading Ted Kacyznski, Ludwig Klages, and Pentti Linkola helps contextualize a lot of the themes you see throughout Final Fantasy VII.
>>
>>3475193
*and its promises of endless growth to begin with.
>>
>>3475193
no you are retarded as expected of ted namedropping dipshits.
Mako reactors are by definition echo friendly and in 7 they had left the industrial period.

Its just its a fantasy game and the fantasy element of the planet being an actual living thing.
If you believe that beyond anything but a metaphor you are a fucking irrational schizo
>>
>Mako reactors are by definition echo friendly
You did not reach Cosmo Canyon.
>>
>>3470806
>Satire is when I say I want to fuck your mom, but the audience knows I'm lying because she's a hambeast.
That's not satire, it's irony. It becomes satire when your inital statement is revealed to be true and the audiance discovers the joke was on them for disbelieving in the first place due to their pre-conceived notion that nobody would want the hambeast.
>>
>>3475380
>no you are retarded as expected of ted namedropping dipshits.
I named other authors too.
>Mako reactors are by definition echo friendly
No, it's not. The Earth in FFVII is ALIVE and what Shinra is doing is actually more harmful long-term. Why the fuck are you even lying? Anyways I was making a point that such societies are still bad for the environment because of the sheer scale they inevitably begin to operate on.
>and in 7 they had left the industrial period.
Industrial society is not defined by its level of technology, it's defined by its teleology (i.e. mass production of technology and machinery to support growing populations done on a massive organized level), retarded pedantic faggot.
>Its just its a fantasy game and the fantasy element of the planet being an actual living thing.
Yeah because it's a game for young teens, so they have to hammer in certain ideas. It's not subtle, but its obvious what they're meant to represent thematically speaking.
>If you believe that beyond anything but a metaphor you are a fucking irrational schizo
Believing that the planet is 'alive' is a ubiquitous element of numerous cultures found throughout the world; qi in China for example, the Celts worshipped trees, the Greeks themselves believed everything was alive etc. It's only very recently in human history that we abandoned animism in favor of abrahamic ideals of separating the material from the spiritual. The Japanese themselves definitely don't feel the idea itself is foolish. Look into panpsychicism/hylozoism if you want to see a more philosophically nuanced understanding of this concept. Funnily, I would say you yourself spiritually align more with Sephiroth aka the literal jewish alien bent on the planet's total annihilation than anything.
>>
>>3475473
uhh anon the point is in an irl context Mako reactors are green.
Shit the newer games even satirise the fact Shinra 's goal is an echo friendly utopia.
Its only because the planet is ALIVE (fantasy element) that we know its doing harm.
>>
>>3475473
>celts
yeah this is how you know someone has no idea what they are talking about. "Celts" never existed.
The irish who are not celtic sawed all their trees down for pasture.
It was the Anglo-saxons that worshipped nature.
>>
>3475482
Take your 2010 /v/-tier off-topic flamewars somewhere else.
>>
>>3475492
i accept your concession

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.