[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240427190026_1.jpg (484 KB, 1920x1080)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
This game is actually pretty fun.
>>
>>3468485
What happened to Rean
>>
File: 20240427210027_1.jpg (462 KB, 1920x1080)
462 KB
462 KB JPG
>>3468490
This particular entry is about Rean's long lost brother, Knuckles the Echidna.
>>
>>3468485
Lacrimosa of Dana is pretty much the best regraded modern Falcom game.
Also got a Christmas album for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_EMEAzAwkI
>>
File: laxia fish.jpg (310 KB, 960x544)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>3468485
Yeah I thought it was cool.
>>
For me, it's Volitional Decision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylndM6_aNBQ
>>
File: adventure.png (205 KB, 1000x1000)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
Sunshine Coastline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBla5NUlvk
>>
>>3468545
ADVENTURE!
>>
>>3468490
Died in a shipwreck. Very tragic.
>>
Kinda weird how they didn't surpass it yet with 9 or 10 but i'm not complaining.
>>
>>3468631
10 isn't better but is still very good. Sadly all 9 has going for it is the Saints Row 4 style movement abilities.
>>
>>3468631
>>3468636
I liked 9. But 8 just kind of clicked.
>>
File: 20240428014439_1.jpg (639 KB, 1920x1080)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
Damn this game rules.
>>
File: adol binoculars.png (716 KB, 900x1232)
716 KB
716 KB PNG
>>
>>3468552
Lmao what a scrub
>>
>>3468649
I couldn't bring myself to play 9 as someone that's played 1,2, 6, 7, 8, origin, and felghana and loved them all (7 being by far the weakest of those).
Still looking forward to 10 on pc.
>>
>>3468732
The reviews about performance are horrible for the chinese/korean version sk far. I hope they get their shit together.
>>
>>3468732
If you liked the others there's no reason you won't like 9.
>>
File: 20240429010145_1.jpg (551 KB, 1920x1080)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
Man this is seriously addictive. The combat feels great and I love running around exploring at sanic speed mowing everything down. The characters even yell at you if you stand still too long.
>>
>>3469822
Yeah Ys is like distilled fun. The games are better played after you played other bigger names in the action/rpg genre because that's when you appreciate what they are trying to do and your expectations are more realistic. That's just my opinion.
>>
>>3468485
Great game yeah
>>
>>3469943
>The games are better played after you played other bigger names in the action/rpg genre
There aren't any other good ones so I wouldn't. Like I love Ys, but I'd rather eat an entire 5 gallon bucket of broken glass than play kingdom hearts or TWEWY for even 5 minutes.
>>
As an update, I'm like 10 hours into this so far and still enjoying the game. Its like the perfect ARPG, the exploration is very well designed, the combat is great, and the story is like a combination of Lost and Jurassic Park.
>>
>>3468485
Yeah, played it a couple of months ago. Easily the best party-system Ys, and probably top like 5 if not 3 in the whole series.
It still has that falcom charm/soul or whatever it is.
>>
File: 20240430232651_1.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
A lot of these locations are actually pretty damn non-linear.
>>
>>3468496
God I hate Adol's stupid gay ass outfit in this game, getting rid of the silver armor was such a mistake
>>
>>3472317
He looks like a real cutie.
>>
File: a parrot is fine too.jpg (249 KB, 2560x1440)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
Dana's dungeons are one of my favorite part of the game and you also get 3 Danas which is a plus in my book.
>>3472317
I'm more bothered by how bad his classic armor looks in game
>>
>>3468732
What makes you say that? Pacing issues and feeling a bit claustrophobic are definitely problems IX has, but if you liked the gamplay of VIII then there's still plenty to enjoy here.
>>3468758
Durante will do the PC port for the Western release, no? So it's gonna be fine in that regard.
>>
>>3472700
>even the parrot is a semen demon
How does Falcom keep getting away with this?
>>
>>3470088
lol wat kingdom hearts fucking destroy ys
>>
>>3473411
funny joke
>>
File: 20240502000225_1.jpg (267 KB, 1920x1080)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
Wow so there's night versions of zones too.
>>
>>3473490
Ah, good old walrus rape cave. Classic.
>>
>>3468528
I actually just finished the part where you fight the bosses that feature that track and holy FUCK it is so good.
The second fight in particular felt kino once I got into the rhythm and timed my Flash Guards properly
>>
File: Ricotta.(Ys).full.3641179.png (3.6 MB, 1024x1364)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB PNG
This character is super cute. I like her funny accent and I like it when she does that spinning attack skill, gets dizzy and falls down.
>>
>>3474053
This is a cute and funny game?
>>
>>3474385
Yes but not in the way you are asking, no.
The game has a lot of dialogue and interactions that genuinely made me kek and it also has some very endearing, cute moments.
>>
how do you rank all ys games?
>>
>>3474582
I wouldn't, only bickering third world retards with bad taste make posts like that.
>>
I just finished Lacrimosa of Dana and honestly some parts of the ending were just a clusterfuck but one thing in particular confuses me: was Little Paro ALWAYS the goddess Maia in disguise or did she just sort of... hijack his body during that last scene or something?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (474 KB, 1920x1080)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>3474593
Always. Remember that bonding event with Little Paro where he talks about his dream ending and such? Yeah, THAT dream.
Could also look up the
>>
>>3474596
Oooooh shit, right right, yeah I had completely forgotten about that conversation.
That also explains why he never wanted to leave the island I guess.
>>
File: Nestor.jpg (79 KB, 546x640)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
What the FUCK was her problem?
>>
>>3468485
I genuinely don't understand what people like about this. The combat is braindead and running around is a chore. The dialogue and as such characters are terrible. The story as far as I am has gone nowhere, and the town shit completely breaks the momentum of the game. Stop making me upgrade my gear like it's a fucking gacha. All skills feel the same and swapping characters because enemy toughness is a rock paper scissors minigame is retarded.
What is it, just falcom cultists praising falcom for their yearly dump? There has to be something I'm not seeing besides the cool soundtrack.
>>
File: stalker.jpg (149 KB, 1280x960)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>3475239
>The combat is braindead
The combat is excellent, fast-paced, and heavily rewards aggression. Feel free to crank the difficulty to nightmare if you don't feel challenged.
>All skills feel the same
Skills exist for numerous reasons, like extending ground combos, extending air combos, area of effect, burst damage, etc.
>swapping characters because enemy toughness is a rock paper scissors minigame is retarded
The swapping system is genius because each character has their own unique playstyle.
>running around is a chore
You can hold down L1 to dash. Additionally, you can air dodge close to the ground to move at hyper speed since it has no recovery like a ground dodge, or simply do extended jumps out of a dodge. Basically there's never a moment when your hands shouldn't be busy.
>What is it, just falcom cultists praising falcom for their yearly dump?
Clearly not as the game released in 2016 to critical acclaim.
>the town shit completely breaks the momentum of the game
Hunting for materials and treasure a key feature of the game, due to its extensive non-linear world map and focus on the spirit of adventure.
>I genuinely don't understand what people like about this.
Its an incredibly well put together game from a design standpoint, which manifests as a love letter to old JRPG gameplay rather than a subversion, which is true of most Falcom games versus something like Final Fantasy Remake shitting on them for example.

Sorry you got filtered.
>>
>>3475239
>square-slopper seethe
Many such cases
>>
File: 20240503212830_1.jpg (422 KB, 1920x1080)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
Oh good, now we're trapped on dinosaur island with a serial killer.
>>
>>3475239
I can understand why you would think the game is mindless mashing but the optimal way to play it is by using Flash Guard and Flash Move, which actually requires you to time your blocks and dodges in order to maximize damage.
Like other people have mentioned, unless you are playing on Normal then it would be hard to just ignore those mechanics entirely.
Some skills definitely felt like lesser version of others, it's true, but there was still plenty of variety with them in terms of damage and usefulness for positioning.
You don't have to be "missing" anything here, it sounds like the game is simply not for you.
>>
>>3475404
Oh boy, that part...
>>
sex with Laxia
>>
I'm gonna be honest with you /vrpg/ I was not a fan of Sahad...
>>
File: laxia bikini1.jpg (153 KB, 830x625)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>3475497
>>
>>3475521
Neither was I, at first. But then someone told me his skill magna wave was op and now I use him a lot when re-playing the game.
>>
>>3475521
>>3475585
Sahad is cool.
>>
File: 82367401_p24.png (1.53 MB, 1200x1440)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
Why the FUCK does the PC version not have all these special costumes?
>>
File: 20240505031923_1.jpg (564 KB, 1920x1080)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
This character is fun.
>>
>>3476871
...Skwa...
>>
>>3476867
Wait, they aren't? I looked it up, and unless there's more that isn't shown due to my settings, there's only Laxia's "Eternian scholar" outfit available. And you got the Silver Armor when you pre-ordered, if I got that correctly.
That's weird, indeed.
>>
>>3476910
Yeah, Silver armor for Adol and that one Laxia costume is all you get, also one pallette swap for each character I guess.
The costumes from the picture I posted plus a couple others and a bunch of accessories are only on consoles
>>
>>3468485
Ys 8 just groomed people into liking trails, it's ys with kiseki plot structure
>>
I loved 8, 9 and Oath. Bounced off of 1/2 and Ark. With that in mind, should I pick up Origins, 7 and Celceta while they're on sale?
>>
>>3477244
It's strange that you wouldn't like Ark if you did Oath, but Origins is generally considered the best of the Napishtim engine games. You might enjoy 7 and Celceta, but they're basically to 8 as VI is to Oath, so keep your expectations in check. Celceta also gets mogged by Dawn and arguably even Mask. Give Chronicles another shot in the meantime. Although very unusual among modern games, once it clicks, it's amazingly intuitive.
>>
>>3477268
NTA but Ark of Napishtim feels underwhelming compared to Oath and Origin and even Chronicles, aside from some cool bosses and great OST it rubbed me the wrong way by the time i finished the game.
>>3477244
Origin and 7 are worth it but Celceta is generally seen as one of the weakest in the series.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (138 KB, 650x1100)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Luminous Dana is HOLY... tier
>>
Yeah it's a very good game, although i don't get why it gets so much praise when it's not the best ys and nowhere near falcom's best in general
>>
I have only played Origin and Lacrimosa of Dana.
That means that Lacrimosa is the only game I've played with Adol as the protagonist. Is he always this autistic? Because I'm all for it.
>>
>>3477383
It might not be the best Ys, but it's definitely the best Trails. On that point, by leaning more heavily into the RPG side than the action side while still decisively being an ARPG made it relatively accessible to a modern audience and see less scrutiny than the earlier games, and it doesn't outstay its welcome.
>>
>>3468758
Those are done by a different shittier company than the one that handles the english/japanese port, wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>3474385
No pedophile
>>
>>3468693
>>3468504
>>3468485
nice assnime game. never liked the old Ys games.
>>
>it's another tourist faggot randomly complaining about anime on fucking 4chan episode
I am so tired of this re-run, I keep seeing it in more and more boards.
>>
>>3477388
Pretty much.
>>
>>3477516
Based.
I recently bought Ys Chronicles.
I am very likely to get filtered by bump combat and the exploration of the older games but I'm still excited about giving it a shot.
>>
>>3477590
You will rage and then you will beat what made you rage. And then you will feel satisfaction, this is the path
>>
>>3468682
this picture hit me so hard i now want to replay this game
>>
>>3472734
You're like that ff8 dude that cannot accept that his game was shit, so they post about it all day long to force meme it
>>
>>3478043
I don't see any of that in this thread.
>>
>>3475239
They're aware, they just know it's not going to get any better. Your move sir
>>
>>3477420
Welcome to a post autism/trannyfaggot world
It's how you identify them now, sort of like how when you were a kid pretending was cool only those types never grew out of ot and now it's cringe
>>
>>3475406
yeah the optimal way to play is to abuse the absurdly generous flash windows and then mash away. boring dogshit, play a real ys
>>
Great game desu
>>
>>3478463
I find "block right at the last moment" mechanics very fun in video games so I think I'm going to keep playing this one, thanks.
>>
>>3478043
I rarely post about Ys IX. My favourites are the Ark engine games.
>>
>>3478463
>abuse
The game is literally designed around flash guard.
>mash away
You can't mash it, it has an enormous cooldown.
>>
>>3478777
you can trigger it multiple times
>>
>>3478782
How in the world is that mashing? Why are you so retarded? Leave this place and never return. You belong in a mudhut, not the internet.
>>
>>3475239
These games being utterly braindead as fuck is a feature to them.
>>
>>3478782
did you even play it
>>
>>3479356
...Anon, I'm not that guy and I think he's being an obnoxious faggot but yes, you can actually trigger it multiple times.
If you are fighting a boss that has any kind of beam attack, or gas cloud or whatever that keeps doing constant damage, you can Flash Guard the initial hit and then start a chain of Flash Guards one right after the other.
This is mostly pointless and it's better to just do the initial Flash Guard, go on the offense and stay on the lookout for the next attack that you can Flash Guard and so on, but there really are situations in which you can do several Guards one right the other.
I distinctly remember some enemies that had a sort of rolling attack which allowed you to do like dozens of Flash Guards in the span of a few seconds if you spammed the button. Like I said, it was pointless in practice but it looks funny.
>>
>>3479373
This happens because after a successful flash guard the timer resets, where as it doesn't on a whiff.
>>
>>3479373
This was more useful in Ys Seven, where successful flash guards charged your extra meter. Using it more often than strictly needed had a benefit.
I think this anon >>3478463 meant normal attacks and skills when saying "mash away", though.
Anyway, the problem with flash guard isn't being able to trigger it off of the same attack multiple times, per se. But rather the fact that the invincibility lasts so long that you can easily overlap flash guards to stay invincible for a long time.
Guarding the first and last hit of e.g. a beam attack can help with that.
>>
File: FoawbFmXgAIezF_.jpg (103 KB, 1080x956)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>no more solo adventures, always saddled with a party of generic JRPG archetypes
>Art style is soulless compared to the classic games
>Easy even on nightmare
>Combat adds pointless bells and whistles that don't mean much
>More grind and crappy fetch quests
Ys has fallen... Billions must vanish.
>>
I like the new Ys better than the old ones desu, but I never found the old ones particularly challenging. To be fair, I have much higher standards of difficulty due to being a high-level athlete.
>>
I think I made a mistake by playing Ys VIII as my first party Ys, almost everyone seems to agree that both of the previous 3D Ys AND the following one are just less good...
I'm still going to give at least Seven a try though, I like the character designs on that.
>>
>>3480549
Just play them and see desu, anons have terrible taste.
>>
>>3479743
>accidentally find out you can fill your extra gauge by mashing flashguard if the enemy attack hitbox is large enough
top kek
>>
>>3480577
kek fair enough.
They are super cheap on GOG anyway, might as well.
>>
>>3480582
They're fine, don't give money to cdpr though. That would be foolish.
>>
>>3481271
>don't give money to cdpr though. That would be foolish.
Why?
The older Ys games are cheaper on GOG than on Steam and I get to save them without dealing with Steam's retarded backup system.
>>
>>3468485
yeah, it's good. nice that story parts can be fast forwarded through, too. the only thing that really sucked about this game imo were the dana parts.
>>
>>3468732
i played it for you, and i played all of the games you mentioned. the only two ys games i've played and dropped within 1-2 hours were wanderers from ys and 9.
>>
>>3481394
Because CDPR funds gay parades and BLM riots, and GOG has absolutely no desirable features as a storefront that make it preferable over pirating.
>>
>>3481513
Oh
Yeah nah, I am physically incapable of caring about that.
I have no intention of pirating my games and if a game is on both Steam and GOG, the GOG version is better 99% of the time. So far the only exception to that was A Hat in Time because the GOG version was abandoned by the devs
>>
>>3481513
I'd say the ethics of offline installers and getting old games to run on modern systems out of the box are desirable features.
>>
9 isn't that bad, I liked it more than 7 but they're both alright games, just not the best ys games

9 has one of the best songs in the entire series though
https://youtu.be/A98da5UbppY?si=qcAIlpFnNLD0hex5
>>
>>3481547
>I'd say the ethics of offline installers and getting old games to run on modern systems out of the box are desirable features
The games on GOG already did that prior to GOG. I'm not sure how CDPR sold this snake oil to retarded boomers, and they've done a fair bit to get abandonware sites taken down.
https://youtu.be/QU-db73BAFI?si=mhUJ7wEJj-b7FwAr
Unless you're a retarded yuropoor there is zero reason to defend or support this.
>>
>>3481570
>The games on GOG already did that prior to GOG.
OK, where else can I buy DRM-free versions of the Ys games other than GOG? Or where could I do it before GOG existed?
You can't expect anyone who is not an assblasted /pol/tard to care about your reasons for disliking the store.
>>
File: 1647043635377.png (424 KB, 3402x2749)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
>>3481547
>I'd say the ethics of offline installers and getting old games to run on modern systems out of the box are desirable features.
What do you mean? The games on steam are identical to GOG. Steam technically even has less DRM than GOG, all base steamsub DRM is removable with steamless. Additionally, launching a game in DOSbox is not "running on modern systems". You probably bought a bunch of shitty games on GOG for $1 and are coping now, but the fact of the matter is you get nothing from GOG, none of the client/store feature of steam, and once GOG inevitably closes (its been operating at a loss for years) you lose all that cloud storage and you basically paid for absolutely nothing.
>>
>>3481547
GOG is just bloatware. It has no advantages.
>>
>>3481495
>the only thing that really sucked about this game imo were the dana parts.
Do you mean gameplaywise or storywise?
The gameplay part of them was a bit boring at first but it really picks up imo when you get her alternate forms, especially Lumina. Io was also a very fun fight
The story bits were a bit padded too but I liked the payoff, I found all that last section genuinely heartbreaking.
>>
File: 20240505040843_1.jpg (425 KB, 1920x1080)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
Got to the part where I can finally kill dinosaurs.
>>
>mistook this thread for a Celceta thread when I saw it a couple of days ago
>start Celceta today because I was thinking of it
>over four hours in, see this thread again and realize it’s not a Celceta thread
I’m having fun. It all worked out.
>>
File: ADOL.png (3.02 MB, 1428x2516)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB PNG
>>3482545
ADOL'D
>>
>>3481580
Gog galaxy, the software, is useless shit, but gog will sell you old games with necessary patches to generally run fine out of the box on modern systems, it’s all DRM free, and you can freely download offline installers as a hedge against them pulling the plug on the servers some day. They’re far and away better than any other storefront in those regards. The only drawback is for a new game that’s still receiving patches, they’re frequently neglected and belated for beta patches and such in that regard.
>>
>>3482613
>gog will sell you old games with necessary patches to generally run fine out of the box on modern systems, it’s all DRM free, and you can freely download offline installers as a hedge against them pulling the plug on the servers some day
You keep saying this shit but it was already explained to you. All you are paying for is the ability to be ignorant.
>>
>>3482499
How old is this character
>>
>>3483050
Take a guess.
>>
>>3482499
things start getting pretty nuts from here
>>
File: 20240511223823_1.jpg (420 KB, 1920x1080)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
Oh god, oh fuck.
>>
File: hi five.webm (3.94 MB, 1920x1080)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB WEBM
After the giant chicken gets beat up, its revealed theres a giant Made in Abyss pit at the northern end of the island and this starts playing while you scale down the mountain towards it. Pretty cool stuff.
https://youtu.be/6K4Ad5XCxlI
>>
>>3484760
That's a large pigeon
>>
File: high five.png (1.1 MB, 1000x1000)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>3484786
Hummel is a cool guy
>>
File: 20240511224455_1.jpg (326 KB, 1920x1080)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>
>>3484791
>Big hole
>>
CALAMITY
BAHSTO
>>
>>3484788
Both these characters where a nice surprise to me. Edgelord wasn't edgy after all and the annoying loli was actually wholesome and not annoying. Imagine that.
>>
File: 1573273436498.jpg (35 KB, 400x333)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>3484788
>>3484786
>expect some kind of edgelord
>get transporter autism instead
based
>>
I finished it a few weeks ago and it really exceeded my expectations. Gameplay was really fun and Eternia's/Dana's lore were really nice.
>>
>>3485379
>went to Seiren Island to deliver a jar of pickles and some blueprints
>even went to the trouble of growing the pickles himself and getting them just right

The Trabaldo family is something else.
>>
File: hummel egg.jpg (236 KB, 690x388)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>3485379
>>
File: Spoiler Image (214 KB, 260x379)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
>>3484821
>Big hole
>Big hole
>Big hole
>>
File: 20240512181602_1.jpg (705 KB, 1920x1080)
705 KB
705 KB JPG
Man this place is cool.
>>
File: ys-viii-ds1-1340x1340.png (587 KB, 970x620)
587 KB
587 KB PNG
>>3486042
I know it's a world of fantasy and magic and stuff but man, DINOSAURS. It just vibes different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8zlUUrFK-M
>>
>>3468485
Easily the best modern action JRPG.
>>
File: Shoebill.jpg (619 KB, 1920x1080)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
>>
File: o9h6qh4juxt61.png (112 KB, 384x480)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
>>3486084
I fucking love Shoebills
>>
>>3486232
This doesn't look like a real animal.
>>
>>3486232
kek
They really DO stare right at you, huh
>>
File: shoebill.jpg (1.89 MB, 2500x1875)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
>>3486679
Nature's funny like that sometimes. Everything's all nice and normal then all of sudden you're looking at something that looks like it fell out of the The Dark Crystal.
>>
This ancient city is pretty dang impressive.
>>
>>3474596
All those times that Little Paro ended up being so fucking high in the Raid score boards make a lot more sense now kek I thought it was just a meme.
>>
File: 20240515011127_1.jpg (398 KB, 1920x1080)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>
>>3488228
Bros...
>>
File: hey lady.jpg (55 KB, 570x508)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>3488228
>>
>>3486061
The theme is really genius, there is nothing else like it.
>>
>>3488207
True, never thought about that. Then again, Dogi & co. also get outdone by literal kids sometimes, so I guess I didn't even question it.
>>
File: 82367401_p23.png (1.27 MB, 1200x1508)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
Character is voiced by Aoi Yuuki? That character is automatically the best in the game.
It really is that simple.
>>
>>3489560
Miyuki Sawashiro*

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.