[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EDS-IANUwAAkond.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Let's settle this once and for all.
Is it worth playing?
>>
>>3469466
Poe 1 yes, poe 2 nope
>>
They're OK games. The idea of playing them always sounds more fun than playing them actually is. They're not great, but they're not terrible.
>>
>>3469466
I like PoE, but I would gladly they sink into obscurity if it erased the rest of Obsidian's catalogue of games and fanbase. These are easily the only games this company has made that are worth playing, everything else is complete garbage by comparison and attracts the worst idiots.
>>
>>3469498
They could've been great, ifcuckifornian cuckolds wouldn't be negenerate negroids.

>>3469466
Only if those are your only games to play.
>>
>>3469466
Just finished my first run of 1 (complete 100%) and 2 (skipped all dlcs beside the ice one).
First one is good imo, not a lot of choices, but the story works, my main complaint would be that, without metagaming, it can be frustrating because it pushes you to missions that are very hard at the start. But I enjoyed it, will try another build in the near future.
Second one feels rushed, lots of choices but no effects, the boat gets tedious pretty soon, the endings are so moronic that destroying the world is the only one that made some kind of sense to me... Dialogue is embarrassing with characters making quips all the time, the romances are awful and so poorly written that why bother, barely any choice from game 1 had effects on the game...
Overall underwhelming and killed my interest in avowed. I don't give a fuck about what happens in the setting after poe2.
>>
File: 547294.jpg (655 KB, 1920x1080)
655 KB
655 KB JPG
I love PoE!
>>
>>3469466
I like 2 but PoE 1 is too tedious to play through.
>>
>>3469466
>you like crpgs -> yes, they are worth playing
Dimple ass
>>
First one is okay. It does some stuff very well but it's surprisingly weak where it fails. Didnt bother with the sequel.
>>
File: iwon.jpg (7 KB, 320x180)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3469466
in the same way that bloodborne is dark souls lite, PoE is CRPG lite. there is next to no content aside from the main story, and what little does exist is almost always tied to gaining another of the 8 party members. the pretty set pieces just don't make up for the bland combat and the lackluster builds. never tried the second game but I remember that Critical Role was involved. That should say everything you need to hear about the writing (which was already dogshit in the first game)
>>
>>3470052
>PoE is CRPG lite. there is next to no content aside from the main story
PoE is like 95% side content, the main story is terrible in both games
>the pretty set pieces just don't make up for the bland combat and the lackluster builds
Compared to what? Its emulating BG1 and 2 and the "builds" are unironically 50x more complicated than that game.
>muh critical role
You can't complain about that and post a reddit reaction image from a reddit show.

Go back.
>>
>>3470072
go back
>>
>>3470074
You lost and you only play shit games.
>>
File: 1701276245226609.jpg (134 KB, 322x505)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>3469466
Yes. 2 is as well, though it's a lot more disappointing overall. It does a lot of stuff I really like, but the core of the writing, the characters and plot, are kinda ass.
>>
>>3469510
>These are easily the only games this company has made that are worth playing,
I really liked stick of truth anon, that game was really fun. Hope they will make something like that again
>>
>>3470082
>I really liked stick of truth anon
I don't and that game is exactly what I'm talking about because it played like a newgrounds flash game for consolue using normalniggers that don't like RPGs at all.
>>
>>3470087
Wasn‘t it basically paper mario, paper mario fags wish they would get again?
>>
Imagine being so desperate for attention that you post a reddit image with a reddit meme and reddit lingo, with objectively false statements as bait, on one of the emptiest boards of this entire site.
>>3469466
They're ok; the first one has a good story; the second one is better in everything but the main quest, which is so moronic that when I finished it, I wondered if it was a fuck you to the backers/grognards by Sawyer. But they're both worth a try.
>>
>>3470089
>Wasn‘t it basically paper mario
No, Yakuza is probably the closest thing to that now. In Stick of Truth you just walk left or right down a hallway while searching for dildos and watching cutscenes, then sort through your hundreds of joke items to make some broken combo so you can feel smart even though you just picked up on an obvious canned synergy.
>>
>>3469497
u got that backwards
>>
>>3469510
stfu bethesdadrone
>>
>>3469497
This, DLCs are good too
>>
>>3469466
Anti-Sawyer schizos will say no, despite it being Avellone kino
>>
>>3470240
Fenstermaker weeps alone.
>>
>>3470091
>I wondered if it was a fuck you to the backers/grognards by Sawyer.
Probably, he has complained a couple of times about how backers limited his creative freedom in later years and he's now saying he'll back to poe3 only if ms gives him a giant budget.
>>
>>3470305
>backers limited his creative freedom
sure sign of an unimaginative person, though i'm sure it's just about passing the buck. like, they are the ones who decided to make a kickstarter to sucker bg fanboys with disposable income into saving their studio.
>>
>>3470305
Does he? So he asked for money to fund two games then bagged all the profit and he's complaining about it?
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>3470330
>Does he? So he asked for money to fund two games then bagged all the profit and he's complaining about it?
>Jesus Christ.
C*lifornians, not even once.
>>
>>3470330
>he asked for money to fund two games then bagged all the profit
worse, he did it for feargus and his cronies to bag the profits and then bag the money from selling to microshit. dude is a 1000% self-hating nerd cuck, that's why his impotent anger is directed at people like him.
>>
PoE1's saving grace is Winter March. Genuinely fantastic adventure DLC, even if you still have to deal with the game's autistic mechanics.
Never touched Deadfire
>>
>>3469466
It's worth playing as a fan of the genre. Honestly wouldn't bother for the game itself. Very forgetable
>>
>>3470305
>he's now saying he'll back to poe3 only if ms gives him a giant budget.
His opinion is irrelevant, if MS wants a poe3 he has to obey or get the fuck out.
MS gaming division is so utterly incompetent that they will put Obsidian to make gacha games or something like that, but if they want a pre-rendered isometric poe3 they'll have it.
>>
This series has probably one of the blandest, dullest RPG settings i've ever seen. It even invented a perfect term for itself, "hollowborn".
>>
>>3470381
>the subverters subverted themselves
There is nothing new under the sun.
>>
>>3470377
Well, yes and no, obsidian's value mostly comes from Sawyer and the PoE ip . It's not as big as TES or Fallout but those are the only things that make Obsidian valuable, so you want his name attached to the studio.
If/when Avowed flops they may rethink the whole thing. And it looks fucking awful.
>>
>>3470417
lol, NV and KoTOR2 is where they got all their street cred. most people don't know who sawyer is at all.
>>
>>3470538
Obsidian doesn't own those ips and street cred is not valued on acquisition.
>>
>>3470582
it is. completely. they bought the name "Obsidian". nobody who uses gamepass cares about the PoE IP, or even knows about. unless Avowed turns into a hit.
>>
>>3470305
He has said so much shit about poe2 that is impossible to know what's true, he's blamed grognards, troubled development because they were forced to add voice acting (by who?), tight budget and development time, misunderstood feedback from the first one...
>>
File: green crystals 4.png (2.89 MB, 1680x1050)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB PNG
>>3469466
No.

It's got some nice-looking stuff in it, but overall its just boring and slow and seemingly anti-fun in its philosophy. Wasnt worth my time or money.
>>
>>3469466
The exploration and characters were top notch, but the story had bad pacing and the itemization and combat were quite bland.
>>
>>3470596
>He has said so much shit about poe2 that is impossible to know what's true, he's blamed grognards, troubled development because they were forced to add voice acting (by who?), tight budget and development time, misunderstood feedback from the first one...
Remember: it's always everyone else's fault, except his.
>>
>>3470624
even when he hasn't done anything he's preemptively making excuses. remember his comments about bg3 and expectations of quality for RPGs going forward?
>>
>>3470590
That one xbox guy cares a lot. Tons of hours in POE
>>
I never understood why people think the setting is boring, but I think I prefer more down-to-earth stuff compared to the wacky shit in Planescape (I also like Planescape).
>>
>>3469466
Yes, it's a fine RPG. People hate it because it doesn't revolve completely around formulaic, repetitive encounters.
>>
>>3469466
Pillars 1 pretty much saved modern CRPGs.
>>
>>3470678
underrail blows them all out of the water
>>
>>3470683
underrail is an unironic retard game
>>
>>3470683
lol
lmao even
>>
>>3470654
>believing PR
lol
>>
>>3470686
>>3470692
t. filtered and mad about it
>>
>>3469466
First one is playable (with the expansions). Second one... first one is playable.
>>
>>3469607
Yeah. 2 is pretty good, but 1 is just a slog.
>>
>>3470699
? If it was fake then why wouldn't they use one of their better/more profitable IPs? I don't think there's any conspiracies around pillars of eternity, people just dont care that much. Maybe you should put down the kool aid
>>
>>3470759
>>3470347
Whilst it's been a very long time since I played either game (about to start a playthrough of the first one), didn't Deadfire improve on the mechanics? Multiclassing and those game modifiers seem like a lot of fun. Even though the first game's setting might be bland, I hated the pirates cryptoitalians and Polynesians of the second one far more.
>>
The story is a bit meh, but the combat is fun mechanically. It's also got about a dozen classes, countless abilities and spells, and multi-classing if you're into that. It would be a much fun game if it were just a straight dungeon crawler.
>>
>>3470417
I don't think anyone sees sawyer as a key asset
Would that be true how do you explain him only being involved in aWoWed in a consulting position?
It's more of a
>thank you very much for the ip, we'll take from here
>>
>>3469466
I would say yes, but I'm never playing the second one again because the ending made the entire playthrough feel like a waste of time.
>>
>>3470624
How so? I think you are seeing what you want to see, that just sounded like
>what i could do better as a game director on a large level
Not
>its everyone's else fault
>>3470640
What's your point, literally every one involved in making rpgs has said the same thing
>>
>>3470087
>>3470089
>the point of Stick Of Truth was its in-depth story, hardcore gameplay, and strategic high IQ combat
I hope you all eat a bowl of chili while wondering where your parents went
>>
>>3471167
>literally every one
lol
>>
>>3471596
am I wrong?
>BG3 has a gigantic budget. Few studios can actually afford this, let alone put so much money into an isometric game. I know this was already the second game for Larian that was a hit-or-miss situation — when you invest all your money in one shot and then wait to see if it hits or not. Good for them, they are brave people, and it is clear that they're not doing this in vain. But, again, we can't invest, say, $200 million to make BG3 — we don't have that kind of money yet. And I don't know of any company in the world that would invest so much money in a CRPG.
>t. Oleg Shpilchevskiy, Founder and CEO of Owlcat Games
anyone with at least remote interest in the industry has seen plenty posts/interviews with similar takes in the last 6 months or so
>>
>>3471775
>anyone
>takes
lol
>>
>>3471814
ok I'm gonna take the hint you have nothing of substance to say
>>
>>3471861
i mean, you're taking a few developers on twitter as representing the entire industry when they are really just a few people making dumb statements about how they or their bosses are too incompetent to accrue funds over the long term.
>>
>>3469466
No game is worth playing. You're wasting your life.
>>
>>3471874
>industry when they are really just a few people making dumb statements about how they or their bosses are too incompetent to accrue funds over the long term.
nta but I've seen devs from BioWare, Obsidian and the aformentioned Owlcat dev shitting their pants at the expectation BG3 has set, which is why they're trying to manage expectations.
>Dreadwolf
>DoA
>Avowed
>DoA
>>
File: 51jeuG+9QYL.jpg (53 KB, 333x500)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>3471891
>You're wasting your life.
Unless you find the Lord, anything and everything you do is a waste of your life.
>>
>>3471891
>>3472103
this, but without the religious angle
there is nothing to waste; you can do what you like
>>
>>3469466
No, it's fucking garbage.
>>3472103
based and Christ-pilled.
>>
>>3472100
yes, the hacks are worried that they won't get a free pass for their slop anymore.
>>
>>3469466
My take is that Obsidian needs to be pushed into doing something interesting. PoE is a perfect example of RPG developers getting way too comfortable doing rote, predictable things.
>>
>>3472257
>PoE is a perfect example of RPG developers getting way too comfortable doing rote, predictable things.
Except Deadfire is not that at all.
>>
>>3472306
And how would you describe it?Deadfire was one of them most boring fantasy settings I have ever played.
>>
>>3472383
Nah, the world building is decent, nothing creative but decent and more consistent than Golarion or Faerûn.
The Polynesian influence was exotic and I did really liked Hazanui Karū.
>>
>>3470624
All he really had to do was finish the boats.
The rpg genre is screaming for a decent boat sim layered into RPG
As much as simpletons bitch about kingdom management and crusade management in owlcat's games it is absolutely great to have another layer of depth to round out an rpg world, especially if it is integrated with the character stats a bit.

Massive, massive missed opportunity in the only rpg that as much as I dislike sawyer for being a standard california cuck did have black powder weapons and a good pirate/islands settings. He even had a good take on AI companions which as you have seen on other threads around FF12, hasn't been done well since FF12.

It's simply too bad that they prioritized adding social justice propaganda over making an actually good game. Why didn't he yell at them about finishing the boats instead of about not enough blacks?

There hasn't been a good RPG integrating vehicles since Star Control 2, and they weren't even trying to be an RPG.
We could have had dexterity for Erol Flynn feats in the rigging and boarding, Int for navigation, strength for loading cannons faster, charisma for crew morale, but hey, I guess we got more blacks and diversity and inclusion instead.
>>
>>3471053
Yes 2 has better combat and multiclassing but setting, story and pacing were a disaster
>>
Monk is so fun in poe 1. I usually don't like unarmed builds but this game is the exception.
Building up a bunch of wounds and then unloading a everything on an enemy is so satisfying.
>>
>>3475306
Is that class even usable on POTD?
>>
>>3475309
not that anon, but every class is viable on potd
that's why pillars is so great
>>
>>3475309
idk I was playing on hard. Next time I'm gonna try POTD now that I get how all the systems work.
>>
>>3475315
melee chanter and melee priest chads RISE VP
>>
>>3475309
Just to back up >>3475320, not only are all classes viable, classes with unconventional stat spreads are viable and interestingly different. Pillars has a lot of issues, but it's right there
>>
>>3475364
What are some weirds builds you can do? I'm thinking of playing POTD soon and I'm trying to figure out what build to play.
>>
>>3470305
wtf I backed that shit
>>
>>3476566
lol, microsoft thanks you.
>>
>>3476566
>backing soiyer slop
you dummy
>>
>>3476568
>>3476569
it was like we are bringing crpgs back with the god savior obsidian at the time. and now we ended up with larian's gaydur gate
>>
>>3470683
It is a better game but it is too complex for normies. Pillars helped a lot in reviving the genre.
>>
>>3476628
I can't imagine how people got from the second rate black isles wannabe to ever thinking obsidian was good at anything. They have not once finished a single game. They're the B team, the Bad News Bears that never, ever, once hit a home run. Not ever. That was true even before they started onboarding the modern hipster wokeslopper.

>>3472183
This, BG3 isn't perfect but it is leaps and bounds over most of the RWTP genre.
>>
BG3 is inferior to any of the Poe in every aspect besides graphics, voice acting and coomer garbage.
>>
>>3477112
Peak Obsidian was Alpha Protocol and it's been all downhill ever since.
>>
>>3475320
I usually hate Bards but the Chanter rocks. Highly modular party boost effects and a free spellcast every couple seconds. Also amazing summoners.
I usually go for lifeleech+dam absorb chant and then cast hurricane or summon giant
>>
>>3477112
Bg3 is a terrible rpg and somehow manages to be even worse than Deadfire.
>>
>>3472100
>expectations
Endless coomer pandering and reddit humor?
>>
>>3477722
>expectations
It's extremely embarrassing because it was instantly obvious that all they meant was budget and production values.
>>
Finally went back and finished the poe 1 playthrough I started over a year ago.
Got a terrible ending because I didn't finish white march 2 or beat the boss underneath caed nua. Also I forgot the bird god lady wanted me to return the souls to the babies and returned them to the cycle instead. She got pissed and killed a bunch of people.
I feel kind of bad that I'm gonna go into deadfure with pretty much the worst possible result. I really like the game though so I'll probably replay it at some point.
>>
>>3477898
There's an option to create a Poe 1 backstory in poe2. I don't remember were, maybe in the options menu or something like that, you can set the outcomes of every poe1 decision relevant.
99% of them are just a line of dialogue anyway.
>>
>>3477112
Obsidian fans tend to be midwits but BG3 fans are straight-up retarded every single one of them.
>>
>>3478432
The actual save game import is still broken anyway.Pillars 1 sets the wrong values in the save game so importing gets you wrong outcomes for some quests.Unless you want to fix it yourself with an editor it’s better to just generate it.
>>
I literally cannot remember anything about this game despite a completionist playthrough. I know I had a blonde human dude as my tank, a blackpilled human cleric, a female dwarf ranger and a male elf wizard. I was later joined by a stoner male human monk with a cuckold backstory.

The ending involved the Gods not being gods because they were man made. Despite the fact that they can grant spells and miracles. I then uninstalled.
>>
>>3478472
>gods not being gods
That was always stupid.They are still gods ,they are just artificial.
>>
Its not even worth the download.
>>
>>3469466
Yes, great atmosphere and worldbuilding in the first game, but I'd only recommend it if you like reading a lot.
Second game not so much, it's got interesting factions but the story is hugely disappointing.
>>
>>3478476
a man made god is not a god.
saying "people created gods to give them things they lacked" is fedora 101.
>>
>>3478856
In the pagan sense of the word it is a god and they don't claim that they created the world.
>>
>>3478856
it's more like /x/ 101. The game was probably inspired by the occult concept of "egregore"
>>
>>3478858
nope, gods aren't created by men in any pagan religion i'm aware of. they don't have to create the world, just not be made by men.
>>3478860
not at all. the gods are created by an advanced civilization with advanced technology with purpose. it's an obvious tie-in to the concept of religion being man-made. remember, sawyer is a materialist.
>>
>>3478871
>the gods are created by an advanced civilization with advanced technology with purpose. it's an obvious tie-in to the concept of religion being man-made. remember, sawyer is a materialist
I was just guessing tbqh. I started the game but haven't gotten very far. Thanks for the heads up. I will drop the game now, I seriously can't stand that shit. Fuckin hell, can't imagine sinking all those hours in just to have someone drop that shit on me. I wish some fantasy writers would actually read some books on religion for a change, oh well
>>
>>3478880
ouch, well, sorry to ruin the gut punch for you.
>>
>>3478884
nah don't worry about it, you saved me lost time. I didn't like that rtwp gameplay anyway, I was just in it for the sake of a possibly interesting story/setting. I have other shit to play
>>
>get the fireball spell that paralyses from the dlc
>trivialise the rest of the game
I thought sawyer was le balance man?
>>
>>3478880
lol
>>
I've tried to play PoE every so often over the years, but I always end up dropping the damn thing. It's a slog, the characters are not particularly interesting, the setting is also kinda droll, and eventually motivation to launch the game evaporates.
>>
So when I'm using eder or any other tank is it still worth boosting their damage or do I just go all in on defence?
Feels weird having a fighter that does barely any damage.
>>
>>3479804
I’ve managed to finish PoE I think twice over the years but I have came up with a cool idea for a custom party and played halfway through and gotten bored and dropped the game several dozen times, I think. It’s more fun to think about playing it than it is to actually play it. Soulless game
>>
File: 1693545162243740.jpg (122 KB, 554x439)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
1. They should have licenced D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder.
2. They shold have adjusted to a more zoomer friendly TL;DR market and made dialogue more easy read.
3. They make pretty maps, but their maps lack functionality and multipurpose. This is the most important part. BG2 had lots of maps where something looks like a regular rooftop at first, but later on the plot takes you through those maps again on those roof tops with new entrances to other hidden rooms etc. this is much better story telling than making up a brand new map for 1 singular purpose. and more reminiscent how how your local DM would typically handle things.
>>
>>3480348
>1. They should have licenced D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder.
They couldn't do this. The whole point was a cash infusion to save Obsidian from bankruptcy. A license would've eaten into that and they didn't have time to pitch something and then pitch a Kickstarter.
>>
>>3480349
D&D 3.5 is free license afaik. OGL stuff.
And Pathfinder OGL was also free license.
>>
File: sleepy hedgehog.jpg (1.24 MB, 1101x1133)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>3469466
It's boring. Put me to sleep.
>>
>>3480348
>>3480349
>>3480353
You can absolutely, 100% use all of Pathfinder's mechanical material without any legal issue without requiring any agreement from Paizo. The only licensing requirement would be if you want to use the Pathfinder name specifically. D&D is a little more iffy, only the mechanics here https://www.d20srd.org/index.htm would've been usable without a license.
>>
>>3480348
Poe has flaws but if you think pathfinders system would be an improvement you're insane. Do you really want to play another crpg where half your playtime is prebuffing? We already have enough of those.
>>
>>3480459
There's a lot that PoE did wrong, but mechanically I like some of its ideas. One of them being no prebuffing. I also like the principle of "every stat should be useful to every character" even if its implementation was goofy. Imo, I like the idea of making balanced chars that have specialized strengths but also aren't "lol I dumped this stat to the minimum for more points". Also, their system of "miss, graze, hit, crit" based on how far above or below the target your modified roll was is a cool idea.
>>
>>3480463
>I also like the principle of "every stat should be useful to every character" even if its implementation was goofy.
Yeah well that's the issue. Implementation is what matters in the end. Instead of doing the messy grunt work of rigorously working through questions like "how can we make strength an interesting stat for wizards?" they tried to solve it all with one unified system theorycrafted from an ivory tower.
>>
>>3480463
>"every stat should be useful to every character
That sounds nice in theory but it just doesn't work in practice.Pillars attribute system is just bad and one of the worst parts about the game.
>>
>>3480463
I'll agree that at least they tried, even if it wasn't very good. It's important that they try.
>>
>>3480807
What's wrong with it exactly? The only complaints I see people have about it is stuff like high might wizards. Which is silly sure but I didn't get why people get so butthurt about it, it's not even the best way to build a wizard.
>>
>>3478856
What does you coming to 4chan after 2011 have to do with this thread?
>>
>>3478476
t. absolute brainlet.
>>
>>3480807
Yes, that’s why I said it was a good idea that was poorly implemented.
>>
>>3480317
Fighters are so tanky by default that your best bet is to build into DPS.
>>
>>3480829
Yeah, I’d always make wizards with per, int, and maybe a dash of dex. Their job is to disable and control and interrupt.
>>
File: poe-Attribute_effects.png (106 KB, 885x570)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>3480829
>What's wrong with it exactly?
NTA but like I said here: >>3480798
It's an ivory tower system designed in abstract models to solve abstract balance problems. The issue isn't "high might wizards" that's just the symptom and therefore the easiest thing for casuals to notice and talk about. The problem is WHY the game has might wizards. Stats are linked to arbitrary mechanics with overly-broad rules that don't make any roleplay sense in a game that is theoretically a complex RPG. It's one thing if you're making a super-abstract, simplified tactical game and want to do something like linking Intelligence to AoE radius. But it's disappointing in a game that's supposed to be deeper.
> why people get so butthurt about it
I don't think people are really butthurt about it. Look how many critiques of PoE fall into the "meh" category. The game is "tedious," "boring," doesn't excite people, doesn't hold their attention, is forgettable, etc. (see: >>3469498 >>3469607 >>3470607 >>3479804 >>3480324 >>3470660)

My suggestion is that the misguided design of the attribute mechanics are one of the bigger reasons why people just aren't able to get excited about the game.
>>
>>3480905
>The game is "tedious," "boring," doesn't excite people, doesn't hold their attention, is forgettable
I'm really starting to agree with this "ivory tower" theory. A game made with no passion from anyone involved.
Everything from over-the-top balance, universal stats, uninspired world. Were the team just going through the motions, ticking things off one after the other?
>>
>>3480905
>don't make any roleplay sense
that's complete bullshit and it's just
>abstractions I'm used to are great
>abstractions I'm not used to are shit
how does it not make any roleplay sense?
I can totally picture a mighty [as in muscular] wizard siphon more raw magical energy through his more powerful body

good luck explaining adnd 2e thieves not knowing how to take off a helmet though
or even better pretty makeup deflecting blows in PF lol
or 2e dualclassing logic
>>
>>3481109
I can explain all of that, but I've had enough experience with poe midwits like you to know it's not worth the effort. There's no way in hell you are ever going to understand. Even if you are smart enough (doubtful) you are unwilling to even try.

I'm sure if you want to go back 6-12 months you can find some other PoE thread where I posted the above image and made the same fucking arguments to some other moron who wouldn't listen either.
>>
File: 1714600361563271.gif (145 KB, 756x958)
145 KB
145 KB GIF
>>3469466
Trying to please infinity engine fans is a mistake, because most of them didn't even like iwd and are mental midgets that only like bg1 and 2 because they are piss easy baby games with infantile characters and progression. Watch swordhaven be an unplayable piece of shit because it gives them everything they think they want.
>>
>>3481155
Pandering is never a good way to design anything.
>>
>>3481155
Are you saying IWD wasn't a babby easy game? lol, midwits.
>>
>>3481150
>I can explain all of that... but i don't want to
aka
>i didn't think of it from this perspective and now i have no arguments the post
lol hilarious
alright then keep your secrets [spoilers]and keep your trap shut next time[/spoilers]
>>
>>3481109
>I can totally picture a mighty [as in muscular] wizard siphon more raw magical energy through his more powerful body
The disconnect is when you use the same stat to use ability checks that rely on common sense about human capabilities and yet don't bother to actually justify that with the lore as they relate to classic archetypes and just rely on fans filling in the gaps.
>>
>>3481222
You're just an idiot. You're merely desperate to defend poe at all costs and have no interest in discussion. You made an idiot reply that made me realize there's no point trying to respond, and now, instead of trying to prove me wrong you just double down and spew more shit, confirming me right. And yes I can explain everything. Here's just one example.

>good luck explaining adnd 2e thieves not knowing how to take off a helmet though
That's an element of the class system, not the stats/attribute system. Class systems typically have a much higher degree of arbitrary rules than most other elements of an RPG. Explaining why THAT is, beyond the scope of this post suffice to say that it's not worth comparing directly to an attribute system, which is intended to be an abstract representation of actual character traits.
Meanwhile, the fact that you instantly pulled out this boilerplate retort despite it not actually being directly relevant to arguments made, identifies you as an mindless poe shill who will be utterly incapable of real engagement on the topic. Hence, I shat on you. If you cannot demonstrate better ability to think and respond like an intelligent person and not an idiot with no thought in his mind other than defending PoE, I will not reply again.
>>
>>3481155
every computer rpg is infantile and easy. it is for children, after all.
>>
>>3481234
>Video games are for children
Thank you for this insight anon, how does one achieve your levels of insight?
>>
>>3481241
just let go of the thought that playing computer rpgs is some sort of achievement.
>>
File: joker.jpg (161 KB, 2000x2000)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>3481252
I've never claimed it is dude.
Although I've seen my fair share of steam reviews complaining about the difficulty of certain RPGs, which leads me to believe global IQ is dropping quickly which will lead to a competency crisis.
>>
>>3481233
>I can explain all of that... but i just don't want to
>Oh! I Know! achkualy here is why!!1
lol that took you some time to come up with, let's see what flavor of a retard are you

>That's an element of the class system,
irrelevant. It is a direct example of an "ivory tower system designed in abstract models to solve abstract balance problems"
also the second example was directly aimed at attribute abstracts
>pretty makeup buffing CH and through that buffing blow-deflecting abilities for certain classes in PF

>I will not reply again
I know. Venting through unimaginative attempts of insults is the limit for you, so that's one way you can cope as having "proved" something
so keep your dirty trap zipped next time
>>
>>3481229
>The disconnect is when you use the same stat to use ability checks that rely on common sense about human capabilities
hm?
>muscles go brrr to lift heavy objects
>muscles go brrr to siphon more raw magical energy
what's the disconnect exactly? muscles go brrrr in both cases
>>
>>3481335
Brain turned off before finishing the post?
>don't bother to actually justify that with the lore as they relate to classic archetypes and just rely on fans filling in the gaps
This is what you are doing.
>>
>>3471891
>You're wasting your life.

cannot waste something that is intrinsically without value
>>
>>3480873
Cristcuck?Or just mentally challenged?
>>
>>3481428
Gods can't be artificial dumb-dumb. Either they're Gods or they aren't.
>>
File: yall_are_idiots.png (295 KB, 727x783)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>3481233
same vibes
>>
File: sight.png (1.39 MB, 1080x1663)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>3469466
No, because the fail in the single most important part of RPGs: the writing.

The way it just spits blatant exposition at you in EVERY single fucking line of dialog is quite literally unbearable and something I've never seen another RPG do. It makes the whole game feel like like reading a wikipedia article for the setting.

Shame, because both games, mechanically, are better than most iso RPGs out there.
>>
>>3481746
that's just Obsidian writing
New Vegas does the same thing
every important character just regurgitates shit about every faction or character and nothing else. 10% of their dialog actually relates to shit happening
they write good worlds and settings, but they cannot write dialog to save their lives, this was always the case.
>>
>>3481705
What is and what is not a god would depend entirely on the setting and lore.And they do everything that people in the setting would consider to be godlike.They manage the afterlife,answer prayers and grant powers.It‘s not line it’s a unique concept either ,D&D is full of gods that used to be mortal.Even real life mythology had hero gods in various cultures.
>>
>>3481746
>blatant exposition
It's like they were writing for the player as if you're a tourist rather than writing for the actual character in the game.
>>
File: 1662530787147450.jpg (33 KB, 400x400)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>40 hours into deadfire
>never had any major technical problems
>game suddenly starts crashing every 10 minutes or so

Th-thanks Obisidian.
>>
>>3481767
>What is and what is not a god would depend entirely on the setting and lore.
Wrong again.
>And they do everything that people in the setting would consider to be godlike
Doing godlike things doesn't necessarily mean the being doing them is (a) God
>They manage the afterlife
IIRC, the wheel thing existed before the Engwithans created the "Gods", so...
>The Wheel is a natural phenomenon in Eora that is responsible for the cycle of rebirth, allowing souls to pass from one life to another.
"natural phenomenon"
lmao
This would imply the existence of a God that supersedes creation itself in Pillars.
>D&D is full of gods that used to be mortal.Even real life mythology had hero gods in various cultures.
You are misunderstanding the concept of Godhood. God, whether we're talking about real life or fictional settings, has to be the unmoved mover, the spark of creation, the first in the chain of events that eventually creates a universe.
What you're referring to are demigods, brainlet fren, and are by definition lesser than the creator figure. I hate that I have to interact with people like you.
>>
>>3481789
So you're saying that none of the ancient greek gods were actually gods at all?
Anon, pls.
>>
File: 1667979811092643.jpg (374 KB, 1200x1523)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>3481794
>none of the ancient greek gods were actually gods at all?
I mean, I guess they were, but unfortunately the Greeks seem to be on Sawyer levels of retardation cause existence doesn't simply spring out of nothingness. Less even to do with the laws of physics and more so the laws of logic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_primordial_deities
>Hesiod says the world began with the spontaneous generation of four beings
Retroactively refuted by Plato btw (pbuh)
>>
>>3481795
I just mean to say don't assume that a god has to be the christian omnipotent ubergod. Nothing comes close to that guy's power level.
>>
>>3481800
>I just mean to say don't assume that a god has to be the christian omnipotent ubergod.
Kinda does, regardless of the lore or universe desu. If you argue otherwise you'll have to explain how creation got created.
>>
>>3481789
Oh my bad, I was following this reply chain to maybe learn something new, but I confused you for someone who actually knows shit instead of a dunning-kruger-[insert abrahamic cult flavor here]-fag who imposes monotheistic ideas of godhood on a polytheistic pantheon like a complete retard you turned out to be

once again, my bad, have a good day
>>
File: du.png (64 KB, 577x470)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>3481803
>>
>>3481781
I just started deadfire but I've already found more bugs than I ever did in the first game.
The loading times feel longer too.
>>
File: lord of light.jpg (122 KB, 648x1023)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>Secretly adapt Robert Zelazny's 1967 science fiction book Lord of Light as a crpg called Pillars of Eternity
>It's 1967 concepts about futuristic men making themselves false gods and controlling a medieval society now have people malding in the 2010s and 2020s
what happened to nerds lmao
>>
>>3481813
Thus board attracts mentally ill people who get triggered about everything.
>>
>>3481806
>Explain where creation comes from
>ABRAHAMIC CULTIST RETARD
Every single time kek.
>>3481809
God still exists in Gnosticism bro.
>>
It's good to know that Poe threads still attract the same handful of schizos repeating the same arguments for circlejerking after so many years. Mindbroken by a fucking mediocre game after so many years.

It's like going back home in christmas and discovering that the hobbo that sleeps in a cardboard box in the alley is still kicking around.
>>
>>3481838
>why yes I'm based and ABRAHAMIC-flavor creationist-pilled
Brah, you do what you do
The main part is
>who imposes monotheistic ideas of godhood on a polytheistic pantheon like a complete retard
tho
>>
>>3481855
Yes the same mindbroken shizos come to the same threads to samefag 10 posts on how this decade old game is mediocre and dull, see >>3481150
>go back 6-12 months you can find some other PoE thread where I posted
On point hobo take
>>
>>3469466
Yeah it's okay.
>>
>>3481877
>>who imposes monotheistic ideas of godhood on a polytheistic pantheon like a complete retard
Because it doesn't make sense if I don't.
>>
>>3469466
Playing yes, replaying no.
>>
>>3481813
>malding
twitchbabby, fedorashit is old, yes. doesn't make it good.
>>
Every poe thread is the same, a bunch of people saying it's an ok game, and 2 or 3 schizos projecting their mental illness and samefagging when they don't get attention they crave.
I must've seen the stupid argument about how attributes are illdesigned because it's not exactly as they think they should be like half a dozen times.
Oh and the pol tourist that gets spastic every time a sawyer game is discussed, let's not forget him.
>>
>>3482359
The sign of a little brain is the inability to engage with ideas and a sharp focus on people instead.
>>
>>3482359
I think it’s an ok game, it has some good ideas that are poorly implemented, but its biggest flaw is, ironically, being SOVLLESS and le subversive deconstruction. I do like the idea of “every stat should be useful for every character” but that said, muscle wizards is fucking dumb.
>>
>>3482359
You forgot the obligatory
>muh subversive
And
>muh SOVLLESS
Posters
Oh here he is >>3482371, turns out to be the same anon
>>
>>3482371
Perfect Obsidiot bait.
>>
File: 1708063960491214.gif (509 KB, 479x497)
509 KB
509 KB GIF
Pillars died in its 2nd game.
Pathfinder died in its 2nd game.
Baldurs Gate died in its 2nd game.
Icewind Dale died in its 2nd game.
Neverwinter nights dies in its 2nd game.

It's over. Muttmerica was finished all along.
>>
>>3482388
One of these is not like the others and makes your last sentence nonsensical.
>>
File: 1693331587459899.png (7 KB, 219x230)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>3482402
Well, it's technically true that Owlkeks might do something about a 3rd game, but that's at least 10 years away.

It's OVER
>>
>>3482409
What's over?
>>
File: 1700402847907605.png (228 KB, 1159x694)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
>>3482427
Muttmerica is finished. Obsidian is next on the chopping block, unless it manage to release a game with lots of ESG points and sell millions of copies.
>>
>>3482439
Obsidian already has a multi million ongoing game with Grounded. Keep up.
>>
>>3482452
Nothing is safe anymore. Even if your microsoft game is the worst ESG vomit in the neighbourhood, you're still not safe.
The ESG points need to be there.
But also the sales need to be there, or else choppy choppy.
>>
>>3482439
Owlcat isn't an American developer.
>>
File: 1706996552661732.png (225 KB, 680x680)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>3482462
Doesn't matter. Pathfinder is still ded for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>3482464
So? I'm just really confused about who you are trying to provoke here.
>>
>>3482457
>The ESG points need to be there.
>But also the sales need to be there, or else choppy choppy.
The wages of sin are death. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
>>
>>3480905
why did you include my post (>>3470660) as saying it was boring, I said I like the setting you speed-reading idiot
>>
File: 1704612664351003.jpg (24 KB, 659x692)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Microsoft isn't done amputating its studios. Every developer under the microsoft umbrella is living in fear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-08/xbox-studio-closures-microsoft-plans-more-cost-cutting-measures-after-layoffs
>>
>>3469466
I could have done without it desu.
Utterly forgettable game that is never great (or horrible) at anything. I see it as a good thing mostly because it paved the way for the isometric rpgs renaissance.
>>
If you have trouble falling asleep, they are useful to have in the backlog.
>>
>>3482558
Yeah it was a mistake, sorry I made you cry. Caught it afterward I'd posted but didn't feel like correcting such a minor detail.

Still nobody smart enough to actually post a good response to the central point. I'd care more about accusations of careless speed reading if that had been the case.
>>
>>3482796
>Zenimax
Did they plan to do this from the beginning?Buy the competition and then destroy it?Or did they overvalue them,partially due to covid,and pay way more that they were worth?
>>
>>3482892
>response to the central point
kek
you thrown a tantrum and then tried to ignored the response though
>>
>>3482928
No, there were clear points. No signs of tantrum anywhere. Your reading comprehension is awful. At least my mistake is just careless and I owned up to it. You're straight up hallucinating.
>>
>>3482892
Can you make one post without typing like you have your head up your ass?
Stop getting high off your own farts before you post here.
>>
>>3481330
>It is a direct example of an "ivory tower system designed in abstract models to solve abstract balance problems"
No, it's not. AD&D 2e classes were defined before RPGs had even existed long enough for the concept of "balance problems" to look anything remotely like what influenced PoE. Merely choosing to design a game with a class system means you're going to be adding arbitrary rules about class abilities won't make perfect sense. It's done for the sake of gameplay.

An attribute, on the other hand, is a straightforward abstraction of a trait describing a character. Given that people can't really be described accurately in just 6 traits, it makes sense that the abstraction process will be somewhat crude. In AD&D 2e, for example, "Dexterity" is essentially overloaded with agility. Traits that would be associated with an agility score are instead associated with dexterity. You can't be agile (good at dodging airborne hazards) without also being dexterous (good at manipulating small objects with your fingers). There's dissonance with reality there.

PoE takes this a step further and links arbitrary game mechanics to traits. If "dodging" is agility and "lockpicking" is dexterity, what is "AoE Effect Radius"? It's nothing. It's just a gameplay mechanic. And yes, you can spew some ass-backwards rationalization for why linking AoE with Int makes sense, but PoE had a clean slate. They could have done anything they wanted. They chose poorly and lazily. You could have a dozen different variables affect AoE radius.

Is "Might" overloaded like D&D Dex? That's what it seems like, but not really. "Spell damage" is just a highly abstract game mechanic. PoE's Might is really just a nonsense, incoherent concept. It's not actually a muscle wizard.

>inb4 hurr your replied
I'd love good disagreement with someone smart, not the PoE defense force posting kneejerk boilerplate.
>>
>>3483007
That sure is an unnecessary lengthy way of saying
>abstractions I'm used to = good
>abstractions I'm not used to = bad
>>
>>3483007
>It's not actually a muscle wizard.
And even if you did plan to make a muscle wizard they would have the same stats as a normal one.
>>3483051
Abstractions that make sense are fine.Having the same stat for mental and physical strenght or one stat for blocking and willpower is stupid and just doesn't work.
>>
>>3481803
>you'll have to explain how creation got created.
logically speaking it's an uno reverse card innit?
assuming god exists and is the creator of the universe out of nothing
you have to deal with 2 connected obvious paradoxes
the first one being
>if there was nothing and then god created the universe, then there wasn't nothing to begin with was it? there was something
the second paradox
>what created god? what created the thing that created god? what created the thing that created the thing that created god and so on ad infinitum
this paradox of course have been pointed out millennia ago and has no solution
the best the religions have came up with is
>yOU cAn't AsK thAT!!!11 tHe qUEeSTion is iMprOper!!111
which is of course pure cope and utter nonsense

these purely logical paradoxes hint that the only way for universe to be created out of "nothing" is for this "nothing" to have an embedded quality of creation
and while modern physics can't say precisely what were the properties of space-time at/before the big bang [or even if these terms are relevant] but we do now have both theoretical conclusions via quantum mechanics as well as confirming empirical evidence, that this is indeed the case with what we would understand as "nothing" today [see Quantum vacuum state], if you are interested 1965 Nobel prize in physics has been awarded roughly speaking for these works
>>
>>3485473
>>what created god? what created the thing that created god? what created the thing that created the thing that created god and so on ad infinitum
Indeed, but the only logical conclusion to this is that the first in the chain of events, the unmoved mover is eternal. There is no other answer.
The same cannot be said of matter.
>Aha so God isn't beholden to the laws he has created
Yeah, that's not a paradox, He created the laws, he is by definition above them.
>>
>>3485632
If you have to go from an assumption of god's existence
But it would also imply god the creator hasn't created anything for eternity
>>
>>3483051
Nope. The fact that you incompetently reduce the argument to that is why I wasn't even going to bother trying in the first place. You are too stupid or dishonest to engage reasonably.
>>
>>3469466
PoE 1 is one of my favorite games, PoE 2 got me burnt out.

Both games could have more content (especially story and quest content, or good dungeons, and not contracts to just kill some groups of enemies at the same location).

Both games have underdeveloped side mechanics (castle/ship). PoE 2 pacing is bad (especially on first playghtrough) - going anywhere you want to just get wrecked.

PoE 1 linear progression from screen to screen is much better. I enjoyed setting and lore a lot, because i got tired of typical fantasy tropes of not ever reaching age of sails and gunpowder.

Also it doesnt help that you should be at least mildly autistic to enjoy this games, because it is basically A LOT of reading with A LOT of tedious combat.
>>
>>3486147
It's not an assumption because the alternative is impossible.
>But it would also imply god the creator hasn't created anything for eternity
How so?
>>
>>3486605
>typical fantasy tropes of not ever reaching age of sails and gunpowder
i'm taken out of a world that has magic and doesn't incorporate it into its technology. why would you need advanced sails if you can summon wind or whales to pull you? why would you need guns if you can shoot fireballs? limitations inform technology. poe is shit worldbuilding.
>>
>>3486610
>It's not an assumption because the alternative is impossible
how so?
>How so?
well he is eternal, yet the universe was created at some point
so we can divide time before creation and after
similar to infinity/2 is still infinity, eternity/2 is still eternity
thus stating that god has created the universe at some point but is eternal implies that god hasn't created anything for eternity
>>
>>3486620
not to get in the way of you guys and your dumb argument, bu ttime is a component of the universe
>>
>>3486618
>why would you need
because not everybody can do magic
if you think about it makes an even better incentive for technological advancements
you need tech to counter dudes with magic

you know what? every high-fantasy with no mass produced firearms is bullshit, because it should always turn into a durksun style dystopia where the few magic-abled enslaved all the others
>>
>>3486622
obviously existence of some "meta-time" is implied
because otherwise how could god distinguish between states of universe existing already and needing to be created yet?
>>
>>3482359
You forgot the theologian.
>>
>>3486626
very true. almost no fantasy setting is done well, technology should be limited and forbidden by sorcerer-kings or everyone should be learning to use magic. but simply transposing our real world tech, as if those inventions are inevitable for any civilization and not a product of specific needs and geography, is just as lazy worldbuilding.
>>
>>3486618
>why would you need advanced sails if you can summon wind or whales to pull you?

Because only selected individuals (archmages/gods) or cultures (Huana) have access to magic of that scale. Archmages dont care about progress, all they care about in PoE is to achive immortality one way or another. Gods use magic, or magical devices to decive and limit mortals - that`s why you need submarine or some unique magical boat to overcome artificially created barrier of storms covering gods secrets. Huana are declining civiliation fucked up by Engwithans with such societal dissolve and collapse that they cant produce enough food. They can use magic (like watershaping) to their own advantage and do so, but on a very mundane level. And even then all their power specificly comes from imprisoned dragon, and their only capable watershaper is litteraly son of goddes, who is clueless golden boy and doesnt care about anything. He can though use magic to your advantage as a companion when you caught in a storm for example.

>why would you need guns if you can shoot fireballs?

PoE have good explanation of why you need guns when you have mages. Because is is very good against mages arcane veil and it is cheaper to have a ragged fellow with a musket than a trained magician. Becasue ragged fellows and muskets are mass-produced and trained mages dont.
>>
>>3486620
>thus stating that god has created the universe at some point but is eternal implies that god hasn't created anything for eternity
I think your problem is that you're thinking of eternity in the space-time sense and imagining it as a line without end.
If God is eternal he is above both time and space, so thinking of eternity under the prism of our own perception is faulty, at best. We are quite literally incapable of grasping it.
>how so?
We know the properties of matter, so we can safely say that matter can't be eternal. It necessitates the existence of the unmoved mover.
>>
>>3486605
>PoE 2 pacing is bad (especially on first playghtrough) - going anywhere you want to just get wrecked.
Deadfire has an indicator for suggested level and its pretty lenient. You outpace the content very fast.
>>
>>3486647
>so we can safely say that matter can't be eternal
what do you mean by eternal?
>It necessitates the existence of the unmoved mover
if you are saying that it had to be created at some point, yeah sure
but we also now know the properties of "emptiness" and we know that what we think of as "emptiness" has an embedded property of creating matter/energy, see quantum vacuum state

of course before creation this "emptiness" could not have existed yet, we don't know
but it shows how something can be created out of "emptiness" i.e. out of nothing via a natural occurrence without the need for any "unmoved mover"
>>
>>3486646
>very good against mages arcane veil and it is cheaper to have a ragged fellow with a musket than a trained magician
it's a matter of efficiency. one mage can blast many peasants and you could easily build an iron carriage to carry them around. in the real world guns worked better because of the limitations of the human form and how long it takes to train a man who can only kill so quickly with two arms. it's just transposing ideas awkwardly from a desire to portray "not-earth" and a fetish for the renaissance. it's themepark buillshit with excuses built into the setting to justify it that only appease midwits.
>>
>>3486659
nah that's not convincing
sure seems like you are desperately trying to rationalize your take

but I should salute whoever designed Eora, such small details like firearms coexisting with magic go a long way for world to be believable as it turns out

It's going to be hard to return to traditional high-fantasy, it just looks like a sloppy worldbuilding job now
>>
>>3486674
nope. my opinion is perfectly valid. unique solutions should be found for different worlds. take something like dune, where advance tech blends with human limitations and are actually thought about by the author and create a very well put together universe, he doesn't just transpose ideas lazily. no, eora is shallow as a dog dish.
>>
>>3486630
Also keep in mind The Sailor.
>>
>>3486685
sure I probably wouldn't argue that Eora is deeper than world of Dune
but then again Dune is literary a magnum opus for a dude that worked on it for like half of his life (as a world, so all books combined) innit?
you have to admit you clinging to Dune out of all things, and not something like tamriel or faerun, says it all about the world of Eora as a world for /videogames/ that anyone ever needs to know regarding it's worldbuilding quality
>>
>>3486712
another one i like is the darksword trilogy. it's the opposite where almost everyone can use magic and technology is considered evil and forbidden. they use magic to do everything, very interesting world. rpg worlds are just awful in general, which i guess means even lazy attempts like eora are seen as good by plebs such as yourself. winning by default isn't really something i subscribe to though, but i guess your whole perspective is in opposition to fanboys of those other games and not any kind of objective analysis.
>>
>>3486657
>what do you mean by eternal?
We think of eternity in terms of time and space, but existing outside of those dimensions can mean something entirely different to what we can perceive from our limited vantage point.
>and we know that what we think of as "emptiness" has an embedded property of creating matter/energy, see quantum vacuum state
That property had to be embedded by the unmoved mover.
Voids also have to be created.
>>
>>3486722
>Voids also have to be created.
not any more than an "unmoved mover" has to
>had to be embedded by
not necessarily, if you take into consideration that we observe a universe where it was possible for an observer to be born into
from an infinite variations of multiverses we live in one where this property is just embedded, that's just how it works, by pure chance of combinations of possibilities of physical laws,
there might be a an infinite number of those where it wasn't so, and these never gave birth to an observer

It's a hard concept to grasp, because it breaks the boundaries of human reasoning due to restraints imposed by evolutionary processes living organisms went through
I would compare it to what you think of when you think of "divine" as of something not obliged to conform to laws of nature
Much as you have to rely on eternal god that has always been there to create the universe, this relies on different multiverses with different physical laws just "happening"/"being"
how did it happen? we don't know, but we might as well say the same arguments you rely on, it is what it is
at this point the difference is that I don't attribute consciousness onto this phenomena, so there is no need to call it god for me
>>
>>3486719
>darksword
sounds dumb as fuck
I mean I get the metaphor that is beneficial for literary works, but as a believeable world it sucks ass
>>
>>3486772
>I mean I get the metaphor that is beneficial for literary works, but as a believeable world it sucks ass
can you rephrase or expand on this? are you reacting to the title of the books or the premise?
>>
>>3486763
>Physically impossible things can't occur unless I want to avoid the existence of God, then they can
I think your worldview is both less scientific and less logical and the only reason you're constructing it as you are is because you got mindbroken by the midwit atheist zeitgeist.
>from an infinite variations of multiverses
I'm just going to skip the lol and go straight to the lmao.
>>
>>3469466
I played both, and they were almost impressively unremarkable.
>>
OP has like 20x more responses than there are posters on this board. Something isn't right here.
>>
>>3486790
>29 replies
>29/20=1.45
hello me
>>
>>3486779
sure let me elaborate
>everyone can use magic and technology is considered evil and forbidden
even if magic is depicted not as something spontaneous but something that requires research, still it implies something that is individually achievable
you research the tomes, practice the rites or whatever and voilà an individual (or a small group of individuals) is changing weather or farting fireballs or whatnot

technological progress is the opposite, barred behind not only the existence of incentive for technological progress but also behind massive economical output (by standards of appropriate existing tech) needed to support it
it is not something renegades can do thus the whole premise is retarded

there, hopefully I managed to lay it out even for the most simpleminded
>>
>>3486814
>hopefully I managed to lay it out even for the most simpleminded
nope. try again. i don't see a coherent chain of thought here.
>>
>>3486827
wait, i get it now. you just have no idea what the books are about at all and are making shit up to dismiss it based on my very lacking description simply because i praised it while deriding pillars. just a rationalization from the air. in that world magic is considered life and anything tech is considered to be dead and so using tech at all is like a form of unholy necromancy, like nobody uses it at all, it's considered horrific, because they are all wizards from birth, except for the main character. it turns out there's a reason for their prohibitions, as there's a reveal at the beginning of the third book.
>>
>>3486674
>but I should salute whoever designed Eora, such small details like firearms coexisting with magic go a long way for world to be believable as it turns out
Before PoE came out, Sawyer was posting on Something Awful about the progress of the game in development. Their initial draft of the world had the rivers all drawn haphazardly and unrealistically before some geography nerd corrected them about “uhhh you know rivers could never actually flow that way, that’s uphill, they would have to start in the mountains and then follow the topography gradient downhill before draining into the ocean” before they sheepishly fixed it
>>
>>3486859
thanks for pointing this out
Acknowledging you don't have expertise in everything and being responsive to competent critique is key
This would explain one of the reasons why Eora turned to be such a great world compared to other videogame worlds
Not sure I approve of your word choice though, what exactly is "sheepishly" about listening to constructive criticism from a competent expert on a topic you have no competency in? non one can be an expert in everything

PS
turns out that sawer guy majored in history (which could be another reason PoE world is so believable and nuanced) AND was a director for MFing FNV!
>>
>>3486859
>“uhhh you know rivers could never actually flow that way, that’s uphill,
That's a shame. Lots of fantasy setting become artistic and magical because they defy physics of reality.

Obsidian should have just ignored internet autists.
>>
>>3486827
>i don't see a coherent chain of thought here
well maybe not for the MOST simpleminded
let me try to clarify where I was going with this

I laid out why I find it hard to believe any tech could progress in such a world [any complex enough to be meaningfully called tech that is, surely they made at least some sort of simple clothes, pottery, had at least the simplest tools etc.]

So there is zero implications to such a conflict, you can't have one if one side is absent.
>Tech is forbidden by our holy laws!
>What is tech anyway?
>I don't know because it is literally absent in our lives since we have no need for it and no one knows how to do it because there never were the right circumstances to develop it

>you just have no idea what the books are about
lol no shit sherlock
Once again I was never commenting on the books themselves and I can see the metaphore and how it could be developed in the books to be quite an interesting twist
I was only commenting on the believability of such a world [as you described it]
>>
>>3486784
>Physically impossible things
how so? could you list the thing you consider "physically impossible" in my post
>>
>>3486859
Magic rivers can flow wherever the fuck they want.
>>
>>3486659
I can somewhat agree with this point of view.

Not all inventions are inevitable.
Without purpose/efficiency/vision it's sometimes likely that an invention would just halt, and inventors focus on something else.

So imagine a world where all of this magic exist.
If some inventor doesn't have the vision to build large armies to comquer land with mass produced firearms, it's likely the prototype idea would be scraped due to magic already existing.

Or the prototype idea could be scraped due to inefficiency relative to magic, and lack of vision to imagine what could be done with mass production.
>>
File: 1690247331436842.jpg (37 KB, 640x360)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>3487318
Pretty much. It's a shame they caved in.
>>
>>3487325
which gaem?
>>
File: 1703354052339821.jpg (432 KB, 1920x1080)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
>>3487332
It's just an example of cool stuff you can do by ignoring realismtards.

Here's another one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=d8-D432iXRM
>>
>>3487325
Now it makes me think of Arcanum's magic. The world had natural laws, but magic would bend those laws. So while most rivers would flow normally, you probably could find them flowing backwards due to magic. Maybe there's a vein of magical ore beneath the river.
And obviously then if you mined it out, you'd get a natural catastrophe where now the river has to follow natural law and floods everything. It's not even that the magic effect was "unnatural". It would have formed a natural balance without interference.
That kind of thing didn't actually come up in the game, but the world-building is there for it.
>>
>>3487302
obsidian ARE internet autists, that's why the setting is the way it is.
>>
>>3487340
>And obviously then if you mined it out, you'd get a natural catastrophe where now the river has to follow natural law and floods everything. It's not even that the magic effect was "unnatural". It would have formed a natural balance without interference.
Yes. That type of stuff is fantastic and has so much potential.

Areas where gravity is out of play and rocks levitate with stability.
Lakes where the rain drips upwards.
Underground suns.
Rivers of fire plasma.
Areas with really weird wind effects.
Shit like this is what makes settings magical.
>>
>>3487351
chinkshit really is immediately recognizable
>>
>>3487351
Great story potential as well, where you recover some magical artifact for your wizard employer and the whole floating mountain falls out of the sky.
You can then make magic well and truly feared, so even if the world is saturated with magic, most people would avoid using it due to the unpredictable nature of it. Wizards wouldn't be trusted because reckless magic could turn a jungle into a desert.

Just have to make it work together, and not just random flashy locations for the sake of it.
>>
>>3487358
This pretty much requires quest designers with power of directors.

Most developer studios would need to be reorganised in funky ways to make such games possible.
>>
>>3487310
lol, yes, tech doesn't progress.
>zero implications to such a conflict, you can't have one if one side is absent.
indeed, not internally. :)
>I was only commenting on the believability of such a world
simply a waste of your time to do that, anon. you just started wasting your time with complaining about your own assumptions. i'm not going to lay out 3 books in an rpg thread.
>>
>>3486827
I'm following him just fine.
>>
>>3487336
>weebslop
no thanks
>>
>>3487368
So far as I can tell you just namedropped a novel and haven't been able to defend criticism of the premise.
>>
>>3487368
look I'm sorry you've felt I offended your favorite book series or something, I didn't mean to
I was simply commenting on how I think the worldbuilding idea you lay out in >>3486719
is a rubbish idea purely in a sense of how believable such world would be for me
>>
>>3487358
This sounds cool and all but I really don't understand what it has to do with this thread
I would like to have more grounded vrpg settings just as well as very imaginative vrpg settings
Existence of one doesn't undermine the existence of other, in this regard diversity truly is the spice of life
>>
>>3487394
Just a reply to a chain that I think started with someone talking about how believable PoE's setting was.
>>
>>3487388
it's not my favourite book series at all, it was just an interesting fantasy setting. anon, you can barely read.english or communicate with it, it's like you are having a conversation with yourself.
>>
>>3487386
why would i defend criticism?
>>
>>3487549
You wouldn't, because you're a boring midwit.
>>
>>3487601
who chatbot dis is?
>>
>>3487604
If you won't defend a point you have no right calling anyone else a bot.
>>
>>3487607
why would i defend someone else's point?
>>
>>3487636
Because you agreed with it and were smart enough to have something interesting to add to the discussion.
>>
>>3487797
eora sux lmao
>>
>>3487548
it's an interesting literary premise to explore but not a for a believable world, which was the point of discussion
yet you've brought it up, for what? just namedropping without a thought it seems

ps your basic bitch in a coffee place level of hostility is very feminine, you'd be better off if you dropped it
>>
>>3488316
no i didn't uncover any lack of verisimilitude in the worldbuilding, you just started making shit up think that the conflict was between tech and magic through some underground resistance or something. but, no, i brought it up because it's a world where magic isn't just tacked onto the setting. like why would i namedrop something probably no one else here has read? you have a real brain problem with assumption, should work on that.
>your basic bitch in a coffee place
lol, sassy.
>>
>>3481233
Based.
>>
>>3481720
The challenge was made. You chose to flee.
>>
>>3488424
Damn you're so badass for arguing about rpgs online bro.
Wish I could be as cool and smart as you.
>>
>>3488433
I know, it's pathetic you care so much about e-fighting when you could just talk about games.
>>
>>3488348
>are actually thought about by the author and create a very well put together universe
>another one i like is...
and then revealed the premise which shows that it wasn't indeed a well put universe
you could fail to do it correctly, but that is not my concern
so
>no i didn't uncover any lack of verisimilitude in the worldbuilding
you did when you revealed the premise of the world, you just don't see it though you were provided with an elaborate explanation
>>
>>3488387
>>3488424
obvious samefagging is obvious
you pretty much wanked in public and humiliated yourself
>>
>>3488620
anon, you are so butthurt that i called guns in magic worlds dumb and merely a transposition of historical earth realities onto settings with no thought for cause and effect that you had to pivot to poorly criticize a "premise" you extrapolated from a single sentence. eora is entirely referential to earth, it's fucking awful shit from people who don't really care about crafting worlds but rather saying something about ours. you are a mental midget, you can barely read or write and there's almost nothing of substance in your posts to engage with.
>>
>>3488621
And yet, you're the one seething mad that I criticized PoE. I would consider any reasonable attempt to respond to my criticisms of PoE's attribute system. None have been posted. Your defense mechanism is to pretend I'm lying, that I either wouldn't respond reasonably no matter what, or cannot distinguish smart arguments from dumb ones. This is all YOUR cope. You are mad that I told you to try again when you shat out some generic retarded whataboutism (bringing up AD&D 2e out of nowhere, by the way, as if being questionably better than a tabletop game made 25 years earlier is something to be proud of lmao). Instead of stepping up you chose to retreat into lazy banter and memes from twitter.

PS it was not samefagging, not that it matters. More importantly, but phrasing "obvious X is obvious" further marks you as a redditor incapable of independent thought.
>>
>>3488715
>>3488744
oh-oh someone is upset :^)
>AHHH!! I've came into this thread about a game I dislike and people disagree with me! How can this be?
Really, anon? I know why I'm in poe threads, I like the games, why the fuck are you still obsessed almost 10 years later, now that is the real question

anon, dislike whatever you want, just don't be a rationalizing retard while you are at it
you've had been presented with plenty of counter arguments and you pretended that smearing bullshit over your mouth is the way to address it
for instance
>bringing up AD&D 2e out of nowhere
1) yeah, out of nowhere, not that some of the genre pillars [pun intended] are based on it
2) still ignoring the PF example
>>
>>3488837
>lumped me into an unrelated post
>u mad
i accept your concession. hope you level up. :)
>>
>>3488837
>2) still ignoring the PF example
There are no pathfinder examples in the thread about PoE attributes, at least not in response to anything I have posted. Retard can't even keep two blatantly different conversations separate.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.