[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: vp.webm (3.74 MB, 480x272)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB WEBM
Damn, this is the best combat I have ever seen in a JRPG.
>>
>>3469656
The sequel for the PS2 improves upon it significantly by adding 3d movement. Great games all around.
>>
>>3469661
I don't know why VP2 gets either ignored or shit on for the gameplay. The most praise I ever see it get are for the graphics, but it's got some of the most interesting battle mechanics in the genre
>>
>>3469656
>Come to me dark warriors, battle awaits us!
>>
>>3469656
from what I understand people dislike it because it's simplistic, but also requires timing to chain attacks
>>
>>3469762
So far I am impressed. In order to beat this first boss fight cleanly I had to budget my attacks to knock out the frontline while refunding a turn to the mage. What I'm not sold on is the overworld, I like that you start off as a literal god that flies around harvesting souls, don't even buy items from mortal plebs and divine them from the heavens instead, but I'm not sure if I'm crazy about how every village I've been to so far is basically just watching a cutscene. The dungeon design seems great, theres tons of secret areas and hidden interactables.
>>
>>3469776
>but I'm not sure if I'm crazy about how every village I've been to so far is basically just watching a cutscene.
There are very few reasons to actually go into the towns. There are some triggers for the good ending that are chapter specific and a few fairly good items you can get if you bring certain characters to their houses, but otherwise they're just there to give recruitment scenes places to happen.
Do your first playthrough blind if you aren't already.
>>
>>3469656
You just figure out the right timing for your team's combo and then you do that exact same thing every fight.
>>
>>3469656
looks fun, what game is this?
>>
>>3469809
Valkyrie Profile
>>3469801
Different enemies have different timings due to weight, and things like health thresholds and rows lead to different approaches to get the most out of your action economy.
>>
>>3469801
This. I like VP's atmosphere but the gimmick combat is dull and you'll get sick if hearing NIEBULUNG VALESTI over and over.
>>
>>3470807
>you'll get sick if hearing NIEBULUNG VALESTI over and over.
No you won't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjyaX9RHDvI
>>
>>3469776
Overworld is basically a glorified menu in VP with some great music. Towns are even less. Also, have you finished the first act?
>>
>>3470808
My god. Hard to believe I'm about to say this, but English VA is actually better with that line delivery.
>>
>>3469776
protip: lenneth can also equip a bow. just saying.
>>
>>3469656
too bad its translation and dub are 4kids tier garbage
>>
File: 1712714805728509.jpg (238 KB, 1024x1024)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>3469656
>blocks you're path
>>
>>3469823
None of that really makes a difference
>>
>>3470954
It's good as a dungeon crawler but combat isn't good.
>>
>>3470912
The translation is fine and the dub is majority 4kids actors. And that's a good thing!
>>
>>3471345
yes I love pokemon voice acting in my serious depression game
>>
>>3471335
The combat is great if you aren't a brainlet that can't into the gearing system.
>>
>>3471540
The gearing system is boring menuing if you aren't a midwit.
>>
>>3471556
cope
>>
File: 1687250975556668.png (347 KB, 355x500)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
>>3469656
You thought that was good? Just wait.
>>
>>3471565
I don't need to cope with my observations being irrefutable, I simply move on. So, I accept your concession.
>>
>>3471572
>more cope
>>
>>3471565
>>3471581
>faggot can't communicate beyond nigger grunts
No surprise you'd like shit games.
>>
>>3471556
The gearing system is actually really complex if you know what you're doing though. Granted you can just roflstomp over everything if you realize Hard mode is actually the easiest mode.
>>
>>3471599
It's got complexity, sure, but execution is tedious once you have it down. I'm sure less intelligent people find it more engaging.
>>
>>3471608
>NO NOT NAVIGATING MENUS
>SAVE ME FREYAMA'AM
>>
>>3471597
>>3471608
>still coping
lmao
>>
>>3469667
The basic mechanics are great, but the game is so poorly balanced that you're inevitably going to become hilariously overpowered before long, and from that point forward there's no reason to actually engage with the mechanics.
>>
>>3469656
Thank god someone made a thread on the shit version of this game immediately after this one to divide discussion then proceeded not to play it.
>>
If I play only exactly ONE of these, which one should I pick?
>>
>>3473754
As always, release order and continue if you like it.
>>
>>3469656

Good taste.

>>3469667

At the time people resented some of the changes like the departure from einherjar stories, training and send mechanics. Not to mention those that disliked the direction the plot took (specially by the end) but honestly VP Silmeria is also a great game with tons of great stuff for the fans of the original.

>>3470954

Vagrant Story is also a great game. Being able to target enemies weak points is great and gaining proficiency from training with types of weapons makes a lot of sense. I wish these kind of mechanics had survived... Well, i guess some games still use some very simplified version of these ideas if we are being fair.
>>
I found the skill learning system in vp2 to be kind of annoying without some sort of guide.
>>
>>3471540
The combat is a painfully simple rhythm game attached to like three different elemental weakness/resistance systems.
>>
>>3474136
kino
>>
>>3471570
that's not good
>>
>>3477402
you're not good
>>
>>3477418
says the guy defending that shit combat system that punishes you for going dragon mode in a Breath of Fire game
>>
>>3477428
>BoF title with the most powerful dragon form relative to the enemies and bosses within
>anon can't comprehend why the game puts a steep price on being able to kill any boss in a single turn with a few charge ups and twisters, or wipe out an entire row of dudes with a well-aimed short burst of dragon breath
you got filtered.
>>
>>3477684
>using "filtered"

that's all you fuck can to whenever someone shits on this game. Shout "FILTERED" and refuse to elaborate
>>
>>3477687
Except he did elaborate
>>
Digital Devil Saga is peak turn-based combat for me
>>
>>3477856
SMT V and IVA are better turn based combat but DDS still impressive and a big jump up from Nocturne
>>
>>3477856
If you think smt/persona is good I don't even want to talk to you. Doesn't get lower than that.
>>
>>3478307
It in fact gets way, way lower than that.
>>
>>3470954
I used to buy literally every Square game on release, and I remember just not being able to understand the combat mechanics in this. I knew that you needed to chain attacks, and I knew the general mechanics of the Risk system, but beyond that my 10-year-old brain couldn't get it. I ended up going back like 10 years later and since then it's become a bit of a ritual to replay it again every few years. The graphics are great, the level-design is solid, but most of all the loot system and the concept of gearing by creating your own weapons and armor was absolute fucking kino. It's honestly sad we never got a sequel to this, not a literal one but a spiritual successor at least
>>
>>3477684
1.) Literally no other game in the entire series made turning into a dragon so awful anon. The only one worse was BoFII and at least that had the benefit of making it so others could transform and didn't actually punish you for transforming, it was just boring.
2.) The dragon form --not the most powerful, the only one you actually have-- is to be avoided at all costs. You are strictly-speaking punished for using it, and your reward is an early loss.
3.) The game REVOLVES around losing and replaying it repeatedly. Nobody liked this. If you say you liked this you are probably into cock and ball torture.
4.) The gameplay itself wasn't remotely innovative in any sense. Other games have used an AP system that dictates movement and combat actions. Front Mission had done it literally a decade prior.

This game was an absolute fucking catastrophe. It single-handedly killed the series, which had just seen the healthy successes of its two predecessors nearly bringing it into the general market with the likes of FF. Is it worth playing? Yes. Is it a good game? Debatably. But was it stupendous, and did it have anything REMOTELY definable as "the best combat I have ever seen in a JRPG"? Abso-fucking-lutely not
>>
>>3478361
Nta but if you think dragon quarter plays anything like shitty ass front mission you're mentally ill
>>
>>3478377
Both of the games' battle systems revolve around a pool of points, which are called Action Points, using the same pool to both move and take action. If you're denying this then you simply haven't played both titles, and if you agree with this but are going further and under the impression that I believe they play very similarly then you are misunderstanding my argument. I eagerly await your reply where you obstinately argue about this for ten posts instead of understanding the point I made.
>>
File: 1697429820895009.png (34 KB, 689x256)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>3478361
>>
File: 1696876177972590.webm (960 KB, 654x444)
960 KB
960 KB WEBM
>>3478589
So this is power of a 1/4 D-ratio
>>
>>3477687
He elaborated pretty articulately.
>>
>>3478361
>Other games!!!! Other games!!!! Other games!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're talking about this game.
>>
>>3478709
yes, and it's a poor BoF game because it's not the only BoF game. There are others that are better.
>>
>>3478424
>I eagerly await your reply where you obstinately argue about this for ten posts instead of understanding the point I made.

so a shitpost like >>3478589 where the DQ troll doesn't even care?
>>
>>3478790
I made the thread and I don't care. Front Mission is a terrible series.
>>
File: 1708612803575670.jpg (55 KB, 680x680)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>3478793
you like Dragon Quarter you might as well tell us you're a coprophile lol
>>
>>3478960
Before I do, I just want you to say here and now that if I post my milky-white geisha mitt you will admit Dragon Quarter is a hot stinking fucking turd.
>>
>>3469667
2D>3d
>>
>>3471540
The combat isn't the gearing system. The combat is the rhythm game that showed it's ugly head again in Summoner
>>
It's flashy, but it's pretty terrible, VP2 was much better but still had the usual Tri-Ace issues.
Far from being the best let alone one of the better in the genre.
>>3469823
>Different enemies have different timings due to weight
Doesn't really make a difference outside of a select couple of characters that have atrocious hitboxes like Jayle, and even there a single caster can carry any team no matter how shitty, Bow Lenneth can too.
You can mash with largely any team and won't see much of a difference outside of the meme enemies like the hamsters.
>>
>>3470954
Vagrant Story aged so badly, the story is good but the gameplay is outdated.
>>
>>3480036
If it just had more streamlined menuing (especially having weapon switching via some kind of quick menu) it would be fine. That's pretty much all I would ask out of a modern rerelease.
>>
>>3469656
I can hear this webm
>>
File: 1451541766684.jpg (56 KB, 313x254)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>3469656
im still mad Indivisible tried to be a VP successor and failed in every aspect of it
>>
>>3471570
More people need to give this a shot, it's fantastic.

>>3477418
>>3477428
>>3478361
Don't worry about this guy anon. It's "They punish you for turning into a dragon"-kun. He appears every time someone brings up Dragon Quarter like clockwork. I have started to like him at this point because he is so reliable and truly sticks to his argument no matter what. I think he doesn't know what he's talking about but his love of BoF is pure.
>>
>>3478278
Is dds that different from nocturne? Haven't started the latter yet but I thought they were mostly the same gameplay
>>
>>3481952
>It's "They punish you for turning into a dragon"-kun

that's a common criticism against the game, not the delusion of "one troll"
>>
>>3482965
It's a common criticism leveled at the game by people who got filtered.
>>
>>3481912
Worse is Exist Archive, which was made by part of the VP team but manages to suck in every single way possible. Fucking FuRyu.
>>
>>3482965
It is a common criticism - but there is definitely one guy who posts in the exact same way every time. Other people will appear with similar arguments but they post differently. I don't think he's a troll, I think he is genuine in his belief. Just a little tedious. Not a huge problem.
>>
>>3482970
Saying people got filtered by an easy game is a common thought terminating cliche aimed at criticism.
>>
>>3469656
the sword guy is basically guts
pretty cool
>>
>>3483359
He's also one of the few characters you aren't allowed to drop (you can remove him from the party but not send him to Valhalla) which is good because he's one of the three best characters in the game. You also get him five minutes in.
>>
File: 1701101792315837.png (132 KB, 243x249)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>3483420
Arngrim is nowhere near one of the best characters in the game.
His attack patterns are mediocre to bad, his PWS is surpisingly mediocre as well, the only thing that makes Arngrim worth using is that he has a passable statline and can charge your PWS gauge like mad but tons of people can do it just as well.
Arngrim just has the advantage of being your starting melee Einerjahr so chances are you won't rotate him out of your main party because he sorta leaves a good impression, but that shitty backhand swing of his is so atrociously bad it compromises its entire character to the point the only actually good normal he has is the vertical swing.
Lawfer, Belenus, Janus, Lucian and of course Brahms are all better than Arngrim at either damage or PWS charge, sometimes both, and they have much better normal patterns, he's surely not as bad as Suo, Kashell, Badrach or Gray but for a warrior character he's definitely in the mid tier club together with Jayle, Aelia and Jun.
>>
>>3469656
Looks spectacular.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.