[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: unrealworld.png (81 KB, 800x600)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
I played RPGs for 20+ years and I realized that RPG without life sim/survival elements is not a true RPG.
>>
Survival and/or simulation games are fun but sewing 50 bear assholes together to make a cloak or whatever is not always the kind of experience I want out of an RPG.
>>
>>3474684
>played RPGs for 20+ years
lifeless faggot
>without life sim/survival elements is not a true RPG
Do you genuinely believe people bought games like Arcanum for their life sim elements?
Don't bother answering. You're a fucking retard
>>
>>3474684
I've played RPGs for 30+ years and I disagree. Logistical challenges are good though. I do like URW as well, but I certainly don't want every game to be the same thing.
>>
>>3474684
I like having freedom to create my own character and go my own way but as the other anon said, sewing bear assholes together is not what I want. It's good to have the option but I'd rather not to, most of the time.
>>
a resource clock is a necessary part of forcing the player to choose a role, but not necessarily survival in the sense of an adventurer hunting and skinning animals to make a cloak
>>
>>3474953
>>played RPGs for 20+ years
>lifeless faggot
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>3476032
Oldtroon melty
>>
>>3474953
>people bought games like Arcanum
Except they didn't lmao
>>
>>3476331
I bought it.
>Writing for GameSpot, Desslock reported that Arcanum "sold very well" in the United States during its initial weeks, but "faded" from the charts afterward.[36] The game entered NPD Intelect's computer game sales rankings at #4 for the week ending August 25.[37] It fluctuated between positions four and five for another two weeks,[38][39] before exiting the weekly charts in the September 9–15 period.[40] Arcanum was the United States' 11th-best-selling computer game for the month of September,[41] and totaled domestic sales of 69,522 units by the first week of November.[36] According to Chart-Track, Arcanum was also September's 10th-highest computer game seller in the United Kingdom. Remarking upon its chart position, Anthony Holden of PC Zone wrote that it was "good to see that a relatively minor RPG with solid gameplay values can shift a few units".[42]

>Arcanum ultimately sold 234,000 copies and drew revenues of $8.8 million by February 2005. It was Troika Games' most commercially successful release by that date.
Dang I haven't seen the name "Desslock" in forever. Didn't he write for Computer Games World or PC Gamer or something like that, back when people bought magazines.
>>
>>3476331
>>3476334
I bought it in the bargain bin. I don't think many people bought it at all, less than even PS:T I reckon, which also sold terribly but would be the goto pseudo intellectual namedrop for decades. It was OK but outdated and had very limited scope, not to mention some really gross and regressive things that felt awkward and unnecessary even back then. If it had actually gotten popular I bet we would have heard a lot more about it in a very negative way.
>>
>>3474684
Survival is garbage that is either a fill-in for games with no content like the one you posted, or just a tacked on feature that's more of a nuisance than fun.
>>
>>3476944
This. True sisters prefer dating and shipping mechanics.
>>
>>3474684
I know what youtube video you watched.
>>
>>3476946
..romance with a princess i saved would be nice though..
>>
>>3476944
>content
I don't know what you mean by this when you say URW has no content. What is 'content' to you?
>>
>>3474684
>survival elements
i hate resident evil. now fuck off.
>>3474883
and this crafting shit. the crafting was fine in "pioneer" games like Star Ocean 1. but it totally went crazy and became a chore.
>>
>>3474684
what version is this?
>>
>>3474684
I've played for roughly just as long, and I disagree.
>>
>>3474684
A really awesome feature, not totally necessary but it definitely enriches the experience.
>>
>>3474684
I love unreal world but there ain't much to do objective wise
I recall it originated as a sort of Nethacklike but I think it wouldn't hurt for it to have a Main quest somewhere
>>
>>3474684
Tell me your story is whack without telling me. Survival shit just wasted people's time.
>>
>>3474684
>roguelite open world survival crafting sloppa
>true RPG
lol
lmao
>>
>>3480633
>>roguelite
lol
>>
>>3474684
Any that you recommend that are party based?
>>
>>3474953
>>3474684
>Want to talk about games with certain mechanics
>Need something to make my thread take off
>Ah! I know! uh, not a true RPG
How do people still earnestly get angry at this lol this website is so retarded
>>
>>3480698
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail. Not the remake.
>>
>>3476946
Lmao this.
Looking at how popular slopper's gate 3 is, this is what zoomers expect from RPGs
>>
>>3476946
>prefer dating
Dating for survival would be my favorite mechanics.
>>
>>3480414
>I think it wouldn't hurt for it to have a Main quest somewhere
It wouldn't hurt to add mechanics to romance NPCs and create families with kids.
>>
>>3474684
And you are wrong.
>>
>>3482364
There will be no counter-arguments, right?
>>
>>3474883
There should be a possibility. I'm not a fan of repetitive harvesting resources, but I want to have an option to have a house, whether I buy it (Daggerfall) or build it myself (UnReal World, Haven & Hearth, Valheim, Project Zomboid).
>>
>>3474883
>>3477422
>>3482955
I think a lot of these games forget to allow you to progress without having to worry about crafting at all, crafting should be an option not a means.

Ultima Online is a good example of it done well. yes you can take the time to master crafting but you can also just be a swordsmen etc and just earn your keep by fighting and exploring, not having to worry about crafting and hauling bullshit. Find drops off shit you kill, chests you find, treasure you dig up or from gold you earn killing things.
>>
>>3483367
You can do that in UnReal World. You never need to make a permanent shelter and can hunt and kill prey and trade their furs for what you need, get fully kitted out and slay whole towns or camps for loot.
>>
>>3482955
Not in all games.
>>
>>3483999
Yeah, I probably don't want it in Dark Souls setting, but when it's kinda standard medieval world, it's a shame I can't own a property.
>>
>>3480414
Yeah, it's great at what it does but it's missing a gamey element that keeps me from picking it up again. Wish someone would make a game that combines the survival aspect of UnrealWorld with more conventional RPG elements like dungeons, quests, proper spellcasting. It's also too hard to die in URW which is ironic considering it's a survival game.
>>
>>3474684
not an RPG
it's a sim >>>/v/
>>
>>3485212
Sims 4 are an RPG.
>>
>>3482949
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. So no.
>>
>>3476892
You can admit that you were wrong, you know. No need to cope and seethe like a dipshit when he just posted facts.
>>
>>3474684
Survival elements are rarely done well
>>
>>3488426
Define "well".
>>
File: Well.png (649 B, 32x30)
649 B
649 B PNG
>>3488505
A well is an excavation or structure created in the earth by digging, driving, or drilling to access liquid resources, usually water.
>>
>>3488505
I suppose he means they're rarely implemented in a manner he finds enjoyable
>>
>steam
>early access
>procedually generated
>open world survival craft
>roguelike
>soulslike
>pixel art
>single developer
Yep, it's indiesloppin' time.
>>
>>3488580
Good example, just building a well and having it hit the water table without dowsing or some other method is bad design.
>>
File: 20144115125333_1.jpg (517 KB, 2560x1440)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>I played RPGs for 20+ years and I realized that RPG without life sim/survival elements is not a true RPG
WELL then meet wayward, a true open world life sim/survival RPG game
>>
>>3488821
>wayward
Looks like it's not what I have in my wishlist.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.