[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5291211.jpg (166 KB, 1230x1280)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
If you thought the combat in this was bad, you got filtered. It really is that simple.
>B-but armor-penetrating crits!
Are based, yeah. They add a sense of gritty realistic insecurity to the wasteland, most combat encounters are potential death even if you're well stocked-up. Armor can be penetrated via well-aimed or lucky shots, this isn't unrealistic.
>But I don't care about realism, I want fun!
Go play Mario.
>>
>>3475648
Every Fallout game is overrated as fuck.
>>
I like fallout one and two but getting tired of same thread being made tgat gets 5 replies tops
>>
>>3475648
Having wacky critical hit instakill combat is fine in 1 because it's designed so you hardly ever need to be in a large scale fight and fighting is the meathead option. Being a quickload fest isn't a problem with those design parameters and funny and surprising deaths are ok.
But FO2 is way way less thoughtful and conservative about what Fallout combat was for.
>>
>>3475673
Truth is sometime you need yo make your own story. Try speech run with energy weapons, and lockpik/steal as a third one
>>
>>3475673
On one hand, I felt like it was missing resist crit mechanics like what MMOs use. On the other, it's perfectly balanced in a way and adds a level of randomness to it like a dice roll.
>>
>>3475648
It's one button. Aiming is needed only on the pistol stage when you have enough Guns to hit the eyes but no automatic weapons, and if you cheated and picked up a sniper/gauss.
Compare that to Arcanum, where sniper is one of the most brainless classes that still gets more combat flexibility than anything in Fallout (wowzers, you can actually resolve quests outside of dialog windows).
>>
>>3475648
OP missed.
OP missed.
OP missed.
OP missed.
OP missed.
Anon hit OP critically for 25781349800 points and killed him.
>>
>>3475648
I just got to Gecko and I read that the ending is bugged. I am playing the Steam version.

Should I install the restoration mod? I don't want to start over but is it worth it?
>>
>>3479358
>Should I install the restoration mod?
The answer to this is always "no" and it doesn't even matter which game you're talking about. They're always kludges of modder fan fiction "interpreting" cut content.
>>
>>3475648
I got kinna pissed lately cause I wanted to do a Big Guns / Unarmed playthrough and looked up the perks, and slayer makes every melee hit a crit but you can't get it until level 24, but also has more crits which give a +5 chance to crit and can be taken three times..

I don't want to take more crits then later take slayer and waste 3 perks on it, but I also don't want to wait till level 24 to take slayer and grind through that shit until I'm bored with the game.

It kinna feels like bad design.
>>
>>3475648
The combat is abominably bad in these games. It's primarily luck based with pretty much no strategy and the crappy UI makes things even more tedious than they need to be. It won't even let you control your own companions without installing mods. You can't blame the age of the games either because it's turn based. Turn based games have existed since the dawn of civilization. And even if that wasn't the case, there's no excuse for the gameplay being this bad when you can pick a random TRPG from a decade earlier and it would still play better than this.

Fallout 1 and 2 are shit games. The writing is terrible too so it's not like the role playing elements make up for it. Fallout games only became remotely playable when Bethesda started making them.
>>
>>3481096
> The writing is terrible too
Yeah I was on your side until you dropped that stinker, now I just want you to fall down.
>>
>>3481098
He's right though the writing is bad. If it wasn't for Tony Jay and other good voice actors, you wouldn't give a single shit about Fallout 1's story.
>>
>>3480156
Getting level 24 takes actual effort and a conscious choice to farm, and it's not even required to finish the game. It also doesn't even matter what your build was beforehand, both of the capstone combat perks trivialize the game.
>>
>>3481165
nah fallout 1 has pretty good writing sorry
>>
>>3481096
I'm still shocked they allowed companions to fucking shoot you, like ok whatever they auto control I can live with that but the fact they will just mindlessly blast my character in the back of the head because I'm like 2 blocks away from them is fucking retarded.
devs fucked up there
>>
>>3475648
Ah, yes, combat so great the devs gave you dedicated skill for avoiding it.
>>
>>3479358
Whenever I install restoration on replays I always regret it. The new areas are poorly written, feel very out of place (the abbey in particular is retarded), and the modder that voices Cassidy sounds bad. He's better with no VA. The only part of restoration that I actually enjoy is the save Sulik's sister from the raiders quest.
>>
>>3482301
I hit it very easily just killing a few packs of aliens. They give you so much exp that you level very fast for how easy they are at that point.
>>
>>3475648
I liked exploring and trying to find better guns/armor, and shooting everything in the eyes. Fun enough for me. The audio/visual design goes a long way.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.