[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FE H.jpg (314 KB, 1450x850)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
Is the Fire Emblem series actually good, as far as SRPGs go?

I mean, there are a lot of Nintendo gamers who are unable/unwilling to acknowledge games from platforms that don't host "Marry-O" titles.

In this regard they are not unlike the noryim who are cognitively bounded from playing stuff outside of sports, CoD, or meme shit hyped by influencers i.e. Among Us.

I wonder if Fire Emblem fans comprise the higher IQ cohort of Nintendo fans "Nincels", who enjoy FE for its relative complexity to Bing Bing Wahoo, but have never played any other SRPG series.
>>
>>3521396
Your posting style sucks.
>>
Nah
>>
>>3521396
asking if "fire emblem" is good is weird. there's like 80 games starting from the nes era and going to the switch. why don't you try some of them out for yourself?
>>
>>3521396
They range from pure kamige to pure kusoge
>>
>>3521396
>Is the Fire Emblem series actually good, as far as SRPGs go?
No. Frankly they were all dry boring affairs even when they were "good." It is very much a case of a series getting hoisted up by it's attachment to Nintendo.
>>
>>3521396
>>3521414
>>3521419
>>3521422
It’s a bait thread.
>>
>>3521434
I stand by my point
>>
>>3521442
me too my nigga
>>
>>3521445
that was awfully rude my cracker
>>
>>3521445
Based GBAFEfag
>>
>>3521396
It's a long running series with peaks and troughs. I don't find the games after Awakening all that compelling.
>>
>>3521396
No, it's a deranged nintendrone series
>>
>>3521396
Unironically good waifu chess. Just don't ever engage with the community even for strategy. LTC faggots don't actually play the game for fun.
>>
>>3521396
When it comes to SRPGs I'd say the franchise as a whole is better than your random SRPG slop, if barely with the better entries being very good gameplay wise.
Story wise the games fall into two groups, exceedingly standard fight lord baduss who is a dragon or possessed/evil and his troop of mildly interesting generals, or repeated attempts at trying to make a deep story that falls flat on their face, sometimes you get games that do both! Character wise it just gets better the later in the franchise you are with fleshing out dinguses who aren't main characters.
Fire Emblem fans fall into 2 camps, old fags who played the GBA titles and are probably knee deep in the modding community now creating their own idea fire emblem experiences, or new fag who are just in it for a waifu picker that they can fall back on claiming is a deep strategy franchise whenever anyone accuses them of being into anime.
>>
>>3527121
>I'd say the franchise as a whole is better than your random SRPG slop,
I'd say you're wrong
>>
Is FE Fates the Starfield of JRPGs?
>>
>>3521396
>Is the Fire Emblem series actually good, as far as SRPGs go?
The unfortunate fact is that most SRPGs are not acclaimed for their gameplay value, but for their war setting. The mediocre gameplay of FE4, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts, etc, is only barely tolerated because of the player's interest in the story. The only SRPGs I can think of where the gameplay is actually good and worthwhile in of itself is Sakura Wars 5, Valkyria Chronicles, and The Banner Saga.
>>
Pre-Awakening FE is good because it stresses in-the-moment resource management and survival. You can't grind your way out of a tough situation and most of your units can get fucked by the RNG, so you always need to be on your toes. Awakening onward killed the series' appeal in favor of more conventional JRPG and dating sim elements.
>>
>>3528060
>but for their war setting.
They're not acclaimed for that either. They're "acclaimed" because Nintendo. If they were on any other system and didn't have Smash baby representation nobody would care one ounce about them.
>>
>>3521396
Three houses was best.
Bump.
>>
File: 1712131805456005.jpg (10 KB, 200x200)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>3527121
>old fags who played GBA
No, you mean who played the Kaga games, surely. It's
old fags = Kaga games
new fags = GBA games
awakening babies = waifu-trash games
Has the world truly changed that much...
>>
>>3527121
I played GBA and I think the sprites are just superior in every way. I also liked the grounded setting and the fact that it's war with bandits and they heavily imply rape and slaughter. Just cause it's realistic.

>>3528329
I liked this as a kid, I hate it now. I'd prefer to be able to dump time into just leveling and grinding my favorites. You feel shoehorned into only using the best characters unless you want to have a bad time. I wasted hours trying to make my pegasus knight into a good unit on GBA
>>
I played some of them and just like a lot of other mediocre Nintendo franchises nobody would give a shit about it if their name wasn't slapped on the box. The gameplay isn't outright terrible, but it's so shallow I fail to see how any of them are tactical games even on the hardest difficulties like HHM or Lunatic, unless it's some poorly-designed autistic puzzle like Awakening's L+ or New Mystery's RL. The narratives in these games are some of the most dreadfully boring shit I have ever read. Games like 4 and 6 being nothing but some exposition dumps all about telling and not showing or massive trainwrecks like Fates and Three Houses are not interesting stories. You can find more excitement in a DQ game.
>>
>>3531792
What are your recommendations for actually good tactic games?
>>
I didn’t like Three Houses, The DioField Chronicle, or Unicorn Overlord. I can’t finish a tactical jrpg.
>>
>>3532106
Try Valkyria Chronicles and Sakura Wars 5. Not frustrating like your usual SRPG.
>>
>>3532034
Berwick Saga.
>>
>>3532106
Start some real shit like SRW OGs. Get all the SR points and strap in
>>
File: 1637812718561.jpg (43 KB, 657x657)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>3532279
>Valkyria Chronicles
>not frustrating
>>
>>3528060
>valkyria chronicles good gameplay
Ah yes tossing a bunch of buffs on a single scout and have them rush the enemy hq. Peak tactical gameplay.
>>
>>3531512
Anon… the GBA is old fag territory now for almost every other series
>>
if fire emblem was so good, where water, wind, and earth emblem?
>>
>>3532450
>ask for good tactic game
>not!Fire Emblem
hmm

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.