[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: torch.png (982 KB, 1200x675)
982 KB
982 KB PNG
RPGs where you need to use a torch to illuminate darkness?
>>
Dragon Quest 1
>>
Shadowgate
Darkest Dungeon
>>
>>3547466
Pretty much none, most of them aren't nearly dark enough to require it for the player's part and even fewer implement actual vision mechanics.
>>
>>3547466
Oblivion
Dark Souls 2
>>
Fear and Hunger
>>
Dragons Dogma
Modded Morrowind
>>
diablo 2
>>
>>3547475
There are several where carrying a torch is required for non-infravision possessing races in order to avoid massive penalties when fighting in darkness - Baldur's Gate 3; both Neverwinter Nights; both Pathfinder games.

Funnily enough, despite his autism, I don't think Sawyer included that in Pillars of Eternity - although torches ARE a good secondary weapon for certain enemies.
>>
>>3547466
Dungeon Master 1 & 2
Blade of Destiny
>>
>>3547466
>enter dark location
>need torch
>forgot to bring one
>crank gamma up to maximum
>get by just fine
>>
Albion
Betrayal at Krondor
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (225 KB, 572x371)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2
Eventually it becomes more practical to use magic items or spells, but it's always helpful to have someone in the party with a torch early on. And they get used for puzzles regularly.
>>
File: EQ_2000-06-05.png (233 KB, 640x480)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>>3547466
The original version of Everquest was pitch dark at night or in caves if you didn't have a light source. (And even then, seeing in the dark was hard if you didn't have Infravision or Ultravision)
I don't have many screenshots from that era, but here's one. An alternative to torches were Lightstones and Greater Lightstones, which were dropped by Will o Wisps. In screenshot is an Island where wisps spawned and any light you see in the picture is coming from those lightstones. Everything else is nearly pitch black.
>>
>>3547965
wow, this is really interesting for an mmo! thanks for sharing, wise oldhead...
>>
>>3547965
The vanilla version of WoW also had much darker nights.
>>
>>3547466
In the game I dev I have a torch and uv light. What else is uv light good for or where is a torch better than an uv lamp?
>>
>>3547779
Bg3 has torches?
>>3547779
It's a club incl fire damage in poe.
>>
>>3547772
you're not wrong, Hellfire Torch gives (among other things) +8 to light radius
>>
>>3547466
Potato Flowers in Full Bloom has a lot of torch use. The meter on the bottom right is your fuel for exploration and lighting wall torches as you delve into dungeons.
>>
>>3548250
Looks like Kens Labyrinth (the ur-cRPG)
>>
>>3547965
wow. the old ui.
It brings back so many memories.
even project99 doesn't use the old ui.
it looks so good though!!!

Sullon Zek for life.
>>
>>3547779
The Owlcat Pathfinder games do not have darkvision mechanics implemented.
>>
>>3547779
Are you sure about the NWN games? I've never noticed any mechanical impact, just visual.

Back to the topic, the Ultima Underworld games (the first particularly) have you worry about light in a dungeon.
>>
>>3547779
I don't recall any fight that required Darkvision/Torches in BG3. Unless you're referring to the shadow curse in act 2, which killed you just for being in it without any source of light. Darkvision also didn't work on magical sources of darkness either so hunger of hadar/darkness still blinded you regardless of whether you had it or not
>>
>>3547466
Enderal
Solasta
>>
>>3547779
>both Pathfinder games.
No
>>
>>3547466
Gothic 2
>>
>>3547779
That's not what OP asked. Numbers autism is boring. He wants to actually need to light up the darkness to be able to SEE.
>>
File: IMG_0676.png (490 KB, 1029x771)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>3547970
Ultima Online also had dark dungeons that required equipping a torch a candle, or casting night sight spell or using night sight potion before third party helper applications became ubiquitous
>>
I carry a lantern through the town market at midday.
>>
>>3547466
Witcher 1 and 2 had dark areas which were actually fucking dark, but using torch was suboptimal because you had Cat potion for that.
>>
>using torches
scrub shit. bullseye lantern with a red lens.
>>
>>3548364
>I don't recall any fight that required Darkvision/Torches in BG3
Every single one, if you try to attack an enemy in an unlit area and outside of your darkvision range your character gets disadvantage due to "too dark". Also magical darkness is countered by either devils sight or immunity to blindness, which is expected behavior as the 5e spell description explicitly says that it negates darkvision and extinguishes sources of illumination.
>>
>>3548311
>Are you sure about the NWN games? I've never noticed any mechanical impact, just visual.
I don't recall this either, albeit it's been a while since I played either game.
>>
>>3548311
Darkness and light sources affect your DC's to detect someone in stealth or be detected. Stealth is really the only mechanic I know affected by non-magical low light in NWN.
>>
File: eq000093.jpg (56 KB, 640x480)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>3547965
i love old eq screenshots
here's one of the very first dragon kill
>>
File: old tibia.png (604 KB, 1280x720)
604 KB
604 KB PNG
Tibia (before they decided to just add light hacks to the options menu).
>>
Sword of Vermilion
>>
>>3547466
Runescape
>>
>>3547466
Dark Souls 1. I was extremely angry because I couldn't find a light source and then when I found one, I didn't understand how to use it.
>>
>>3547466
Zelda 2
>>
>>3548197
>What else is uv light good for
Blinding people.
>>
>>3547821
>game doesnt render enemies that arent lit because theres no real lighting engine
>>
>>3547466
Dragon's Dogma 1 and 2, though you use a lantern, not a torch...
>>
>>3549365
Even the underdark is full of brightly glowing shit everywhere, dumb fanboy.
>>
>>3548250
>Potato Shillers in Full Force
I'll be glad the day I stop seeing this insipid garbage in every crawler thread.
>>
>>3547475
>what is Dungeon Master
>fucking 1987 16bit era and still playable
more kids should know the classics
>>
>>3547779
>>3548264
Actually, Pathfinder games tends to have dungeons actually be DARK and it has light cantrip.

You can usually get by and rely on the highlight hotkeys and other game meta tools to play without it, but to see much of the setting, you need to light up.
>>
>>3547469
>not grinding to level 9 before entering any dungeons or caves so you don't have to buy and carry torches
>>
File: 1714122009794577.png (2.23 MB, 1920x1080)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB PNG
A pet peeves of mine is how in many games, not just RPGs (although it does happen predominately in RPGs) is that things are actually drawn and rendered in darkness, just with very low gamma, so you can easily eliminate the effects of darkness by simply turning up your game or monitor brightness. I get that's how it works in real life, obviously if it's too dark to see things that doesn't mean they aren't still reflecting light so with more sensitive vision one would be able to see, but it can ruin the sense of darkness in video games.

While it might be costly in terms of processing power, it shouldn't be too hard to implement a system that just draws completely black over anything below a certain illumination threshold, forcing players to use in-game lighting.
>>
>>3556022
>A pet peeve
>turn up your game or monitor brightness
>ruin the sense of darkness
KEK why do so many deliberately ruin things for themselves? They clearly recognize it leads to a lesser experience, but they go ahead and then complain that devs didn't stop them from ruining it.
>>
>>3556022
Or you could go the other way and not render things below certain illumination/past certain distance, which will actually save the processing power.
>>
>>3556022
Dungeon Master had several light levels and stuff simply had sprites/bitmaps for all light levels.
It was doable because it had limited amount of assets.
>>
>>3556076
>turn your head in the wrong place
>loading lag
>rapidly move like via a spell
>massive loading lag
>>
>>3547466
Elden Ring
>>
>>3547466
Gothic 1.
In the old mine its impossible to see where you're going without torches.
>>
>>3549844
crazy how these dumbfucks won't release classic servers (7.1-7.5)
>>
>>3556012
>wasting time grinding outside of the mountain cave because you are a bitch

lmao
>>
>>3556022
Everquest did this at the start, it was fucking awful, made playing a race without nightvision such an annoying hassle. you were kind of fucked if you died and had to retrieve your corpse blind at night.
>>
>>3547779
solasta has darkvision mechanics
>>
>>3555955
I really liked that. Instead of fucking me over if I am not using a slot for a light source (in a system where you need your hand for other things) it just made things butt-dark, so I go and light it up for myself, instead of some mechanical incentive.
>>
File: seeel.jpg (233 KB, 1366x768)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
If you're okay with roguelikes, then Sil has one of the most integrated lighting systems I've ever seen. You're in a dungeon, so naturally everything is pitch black unless you have light to see by, plus:

>certain creatures won't step into the light, will cringe from it, or will only attack you in utter darkness
>your light radius acts as form of resistance against dark attacks
>whether or not a creature can see you (and whether or not you can see it) factor into all attack rolls
>if you're overwhelmed, you can sing to create more light and cause everyone to flee from your glory

It's Tolkien, so it's all flavorfully woven into the game itself. But still, it's a roguelike, so no grafix4u.
>>
File: bg3.jpg (31 KB, 768x384)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>3547466
Baldur's Gate 3.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.