[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1709831434094990.png (2.86 MB, 1080x1080)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB PNG
Yeah yeah there's a million SPRGs out there, but how many use grids for combat only?
Koudelka
Wild Arms 4/5
Radiant Historia
Those are the few I can think of outside something like BG3
>>
>>3625717
>outside something like BG3
Interesting how you have to quickly seperate JRPGs from the greater sphere of rpg discussion because you are a pig that wants to roll around in slop. Anyways, even within your narrow parameters there are hundreds so you didn't look very hard. (also bg3 doesn't use grids)
>>
>>3625719
>repressed homosexuality: the post
>>
File: 1725919243531982.png (428 KB, 760x238)
428 KB
428 KB PNG
>>3625719
More because most CRPGs work better as RTwP or gridless turn-based combat for their rulesets, or at least, don't scratch the same itch the jarpigs do
>>
>>3625717
Realms of Arkania
>>
There is no point to having grid and cube based combat in an SRPG if you do not have height damage/positional damage involved.

Also Ronde.
This should now be a Ronde thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VKO-6DWV_8
This game is so fucking slow. Finding this small snippet of gameplay without commentary was excruciating in the current year after the influx of megaten fans we keep getting and that people who are not Japanese are willing to play it. Like NINE before it, it will be absorbed through youtube videos and I mourn that.
That said, playing Ronde may be one of the most painful things I've ever put myself through, before I played this game I claimed to like megaten and SRPGs. After playing this game I had an existential crisis. How can someone who loves, can appreciate and recommend a game like Drakengard come to terms with Ronde. It moves beyond mere kusoge. It's not a matter of putting yourself in the mindset or a pair of shoes for when the title was released. It's slow, it's inextricably long, tedious and the SRPG gameplay is not satisfying in the slightest. It seems that even emulating the game is somehow slower than original hardware to the point that only serves to multiply the farce.
All of the challenge comes from having the patience to sit through this game, to have your time wasted.
This game is a mockery, it hates you. It's not a grind that doesn't respect your time or a challenge to aim for.
It's just mocking you.

Fuck Ronde.
>>
>>3625748
I'm sold. I'm going to play this game.
>>
>>3625739
These games are so fucking good, god damnit.
>>
For me, it’s hexes
>>
File: 1698953156187216.png (1.23 MB, 768x768)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>3625717
whats the line between those and an srpg? you can do stuff between chapters?

>>3625748
>It's slow, it's inextricably long, tedious and the SRPG gameplay is not satisfying in the slightest
describes the majority of console srpgs
could be serviceable if they were quick and snappy, but limited computation + unskippable combat just puts you face to face with how shallow most of them tend to be
disagree on positional damage simply because too many of indie games throw it in without any understanding of it (beyond crits) reducing it to yet another tedious step
height shit is good, been meaning to try picrel for its terrain deformation
>>
>>3625717
BG3 doesn't use grids tho
>>
>>3625717
why is demons souls guy here?
>>
>>3625727
>work better as RTwP
Way to utterly invalidate everything you have and will ever say.
>>
>>3628150
It's a from software game.
>>
>>3625717
Treasure Hunter G, Dark Lord, Dark Law
>>
dungeons of neheulbok
>>
>>3625717
Betrayal at Krondor
Amberstar / Ambermoon / Albion
>>
>>3625717
Battle network series is not bad. I don't mind the small grids, I will have to try out some of these games. The larger grids I feel like I spend most of my time moving characters around in uninteresting ways.
>>
>>3625717
Live A Live, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.