[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

A Disco Elysium successor studio has been announced for the second time today, meaning there are now 4 companies battling for the title of ZA/UM's true inheritor.
SOURCE:
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/a-disco-elysium-successor-studio-has-been-announced-for-the-second-time-today-meaning-there-are-now-4-companies-battling-for-the-title-of-za-ums-true-inheritor/

I was holding off on posting about this because I wasn't sure if there would be more.
>>
And?
>>
>>3633585
It's funny.
>>
What happened with the original studio?
>>
>>3633586
Commies splintering into groups isn't funny, it's expected.
>>
>>3633594
Mass lay offs as of recent, hence the new teams.
>>
>>3633601
That's unfortunate, the games was quite successful, one would hope they keep the team together for more success.
>>
>>3633613
Did you miss them kicking out the lead writer and designers years ago? lol, they've been dead for ages. These new studios are just the second stringers.
>>
>>3633621
>Video games as art
>>
>>3633637
>Artists in business
>>
>>3633657
>PhD in philosophy
>>
i can only imagine how awful it gonna be
>>
>>3633657
hey im tattoo artist and have a business!
>>
>>3633596
it was corporate greed and unscrupulous capitalism, commies were doing just fine
>>
>>3633684
They splintered into 3 groups of exZA/UMites trying to ride the coattails of DE's rep, bro. Capitalism didn't make them do that.
>>
>>3633682
what's the most memorable tattoo art you've made recently? or ever?
>>
>>3633682
There's artists and then there are "artists". It's more about how you place yourself within your own paradigm.
>>
It's funny and more than a little ironic.
Shitters are trying to spin it already but this is the result of kicking out creatives in the first wave after taking over and then mismanagement by a corporate entity not in the business of creating anything, at all.
The stories that were ran before give a bit of insight into it that the studio had expanded and there were at least two projects still ongoing but their future was uncertain, they hired staff specifically to work on a disco like game then it's been left in limbo, burning money. Then they had to lay off a huge amount of staff.
There's gonna be more behind the scenes even now.

It's curious that everyone's all in separate places, you'd think there'd be some attempt to come together but there could be more to it on the legal side.
Are there gag orders & NDA's? Non compete? Terms in agreements preventing them from working together? A possibility of a collab in the future?
The studios with creatives at least could make something and will have ideas after spending so long unable to do anything.

All we really know at the end of it is that Kompus' ZA/UM that holds the rights to the first game had a mobile game in development which...is still on the horizon? Their CRPG and disco spinoff or sequel is presumably cooked.
So at least there'll be that cash grab somewhere in the future if there's anyone left to work on it. Is there anyone left or is it just a brand, looking for a buyer doing merchandising deals with fashion brands?
What's the endgame for them, hoping that big Phil will pop down with a brown McDonalds bag in hand and slide a big mac across the table with an offer inside for the IP. Perhaps the brown bag could be filled with the cash.
Utterly bizarre and truly ironic.
>>
>>3633707
>t. shitter
>>
>>3633707
this
just another example of a suite shitter having zero expertise in the field and mismanaging the company into core team leaving and further into oblivion
that's all there is to it
that and some idiot who tries to twist reality into his narrative of course
>Non compete?
I thought these were illegal pretty much everywhere except for the USA
as it should be, that shit is bonkers
>Terms in agreements preventing them from working together?
probably just have a different vision on what they want to make
>>
>>3633725
>some idiot who tries to twist reality into his narrative of course
ironic
>>
Spiritual successor to a failed spiritual successor? Let's not put the cart before the horse, how about we get a game even half as good as Torment before modelling new ones off its overrated imitator.
>>
>>3633684
The estonian guy that's supposed to have cheated the company out from under them was also a public communist
>>
>>3633753
nigger what? Disco Elysium doesn't even try to imitate Torment. You must be a retard.
>>
>>3633776
he's talking about planescape, not numanuma
>>
>>3633788
I know what he's talking about. He's just a retard.
>>
>>3633789
uh, the game is directly inspired by ps:t. you literally wake up with no memories in a city based adventure with philosophical factions where your beliefs shape your reality.
>>
>>3633776
It doesn’t successfully imitate Torment, but the devs themselves claim to be fans of it and actively attempting to imitate it.
>>
I love the mindbreak that happens when DE fanboys trying to bait "boomers" about how much better this game is than Torment are presented with the knowledge that the creators of it are huge Planetescape Tournament fanboys themselves. They have no original games of their own generation to pit against the classics.
>>
>>3633792
PS:T is a CRPG
DE is a point and click adventure game
>>
>>3633798
Stop saying this, point and clicks have puzzles to solve that involve the player thinking. DE doesn't have that.
>>
>>3633797
>They have no original games of their own generation to pit against the classics.
All games are built on the backs of others. In fact, nothing in all of history is completely original. I'd argue PST is from a period of decline versus its own far superior CRPG predeccessors, whereas games like DE are massive improvements.
>>
>>3633816
Not a very robust argument since not all games are built equally off the backs of others, originality can spring forth in unequal measure. Planescape was something new, if only that it tried to become a mirrored shadow of a normal cRPG. DE is incredibly derivative, with its mechanical novelty overshadowed. The fact is that copies of copies are just more common now, it's part of general cultural stagnation. However, I'm fine with liking new or old things or hating or liking whatever, it's just when you build these versus arguments that you get proverbial egg on your face.
>>
>>3633819
>Planescape was something new
>According to lead designer and writer Chris Avellone, Planescape: Torment was inspired by books, comics, and games, including Archie Comics, The Chronicles of Amber, The Elementals, and Shadowrun.[28] The game's 1997 outline also makes references to The Lord of the Rings to describe some characters.[21] While working on Planescape: Torment, Avellone was simultaneously working on Fallout 2.[22] In an interview from 2007, he says that Fallout 2 helped him rethink the possibilities of dialogue in Planescape: Torment (and in later games he was involved with, including Neverwinter Nights 2).[19] Producer Guido Henkel commented on simplifying the AD&D rules: "I think we still take the AD&D rules very seriously and we follow those rules. We just take the liberty of removing some of the 'overhead'."[29] The game's credits also cite Final Fantasy VII as an inspiration.[20]

Wow archie comics, very prestigious and original lol. Also lets not forget that PST's setting is just copy-pasted from the source material. Man, codex tards really need to stay in their cages otherwise they might get drool everywhere.
>>
>>3633829
And DE is a copy of that, codexer-san.
>>
>>3633835
You are misusing "copy". For example we can compare Beethoven to Mozart and find they are objectively very similar because their works build off one another, while not directly "copying" eachother's compositions. The proper use of copy, as I have stated, would be to say that PST's setting is a literal 1:1 copy of a tabletop setting, just dragged and dropped into a video game. Hope that helps.
>>
>>3633841
>the setting of the cRPG adaptation of Planescape, the tabletop campaign setting, is a 1:1 copy of Planescape, the tabletop campaign setting
Big brain take.
>>
>>3633841
It's actually an expression of a malleable setting to tell a character driven story about human nature. That's exactly what DE copied. I think you are too autistic for this kind of analysis though. I'm not trying to insult you, but you have trouble getting to the heart of things.
>>
>>3633580
I'll wait to see what/if they release and don't care about them until then
>>
>>3633707
>>3633725
They're not coming together cos they hate each other. Kurvitz was apparently an awful boss and very difficult to work with
>>
File: 1726692752243555.jpg (102 KB, 1328x1080)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>3633851
They've built on this concept, which obviously supercedes the original, because it's execution is far superior. So if you want to define copy as utilizing the same ideal, then Disco is better because it more expertly embodies that ideal, similiarly to how Larian tries to copy the "ideal" of Ultima 7 rather than directly pull from it, by attempting to recreate the feelings and memories people had of it rather than directly plagiarizing its mechanics, which would result in a shitty game like TES which is moreso a really bad parody of Ultima 7.
>>
>>3633857
They embodied a concept they admired and used it to express a psychological viewpoint infused with internet politics and twitter memes and a shoddy conception of mental illness and drug addiction. In many ways it's a mundane take on Torment. It certainly surpasses the use of dialogue in an RPG mechanically, being able to cast off the baggage of D&D and IE, but that's to be expected.

As for Ultima 7, it wasn't a good RPG and taking anything from it is foolhardy. It's just something people namedrop because it was popular.

All this is false beliefs though, you're really just looking to provoke those "boomers" and "nostalgiafags", you do it constantly and so I don't really believe you care about any of this.
>>
>>3633865
>They embodied a concept they admired and used it to express a psychological viewpoint infused with internet politics and twitter memes and a shoddy conception of mental illness and drug addiction
PST is based on archie comics and FF7, man.
>As for Ultima 7, it wasn't a good RPG and taking anything from it is foolhardy. It's just something people namedrop because it was popular.
If you want to concede just do so honestly, don't try to disengage like a cowardly reddit twat.
>>
>>3633924
>PST is based on archie comics
This is pretty retarded, even for you. The DE kiddies are less dumb than this.
>>
>>3633933
Anna and Fall From Grace are literally based on Betty and Veronica, as per Avellone. As for the whole amnesiac storyline, well that was based on Nine Princes in Amber. So nothing really original here. If you look at Avellone's inspirations its mostly stuff a 13 year old would really like, which explains his fanbase.
>>
>>3633944
Pity (you).
>>
>>3633947
This is straight from Avellone's mouth. You were wrong. Sorry dude.
>>
>>3633948
>[Truth]What can change the nature of a man's chromosomes? Belief can.
>>
>>3633949
Uh oh, its broken now.
>>
>>3633944
>moeblob shit
didnt read
>>
>>3633580
Does a single of them have Kurvitz and/or Rostov employed?
>>
>>3633958
No.
>>
>>3633944
>his fanbase
Man, you really hate ZA/UM.
>>
>>3633924
>PST is based on archie comics and FF7, man.
No, it isn't. Two characters having a superficial influences and the long spell animations isn't "based on". Disco Elysium is based on PS:T. Just a really weak showing here.
>muh reddit
I have disparaged Ultima 7 for decades and quite a number of times on this board. It's not a good RPG, it marks Garriot losing interest in making RPGs.
>>
FF8 schizo seethe hours already?
>>
>>3633621
The Summer Eternal one has one of the primary writers of the original game as its lead writer.
>>
>>3633865
>Ultima 7, it wasn't a good RPG
well well well
if you let a codexer talk sooner or later they will out themselves as someone who doesn't actually like rpgs
>>3633971
>No, it isn't. Two characters having a superficial influences and the long spell animations isn't "based on".
I agree that it's not "based on", but it would be fair to say that Archie was one of the influences on PST.
Though it's clearly that animegirlboy is trying to steer you into understanding that being one of the influences is not enough to be the basis of.
>Disco Elysium is based on PS:T.
So no, PST was clearly one of the influences of DE, but it's just retarded to say it is based on it, just as it is retarded to say PST is based on Archie comics
>>
>>3633854
>They're not coming together cos they hate each other.
a) that's your headcannon, you don't really know that based on facts do you?
b) so what? a lot of creative and business projects end up with friends parting ways because of creative disagreements while working together
what's your point?
were you trying to make a counterargument to my post? agree with it?
I don't think even you can know
>>
>>3633854
Pretty much everyone other than the chick who was on his dick completely buried Kurvitz in interviews. Even the meek guy who used to worship him as a god unironically condemns him in an unlisted interview. They also say he lies about how much of the game he wrote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrN0KXeQ0v4
>>
>>3634006
My favorite part of this entire documentary is how Rostov isn't allowed to speak for himself when Kurvitz is in the room and then he ends up calling back via Skype to tell his side alone, lmao. Fucking insane.
>>
Hey, at least Obsidian isn't the most tragic CRPG dev story now. Despite getting absolutely fucked every time they attempt anything, they never did die.
>>
>>3634004
you sound like you have some flavor of autism
the point is that it's easy to understand why nobody wants to work with kurvitz again and instead would rather build something different while still riding on the coattail of the project
I don't give a shit about your terrible post outside of correcting you on that matter
>>
isn't that game a choose your own adventure game not an rpg tho? so a little on the offtopic side unless u wanna talk about mothmen 1966 too?
>>
>>3634003
>if you let a codexer talk sooner or later they will out themselves as someone who doesn't actually like rpgs
Gibberish, you're obviously a codexer or ex-codexer, only you faggots care about that forum to this extent. Ultima 7 isn't a good RPG, it's more an adventure game, but if you want to debate that, start a thread. I don't think you even like it though, the combat is awful.
>So no, PST was clearly one of the influences of DE, but it's just retarded to say it is based on it, just as it is retarded to say PST is based on Archie comics
No, it goes beyond influenced into the very structure and themes of the game. It's an homage in many way. It's just very telling how irrational you are being on this point.
>>
>Planescape Torments 100 million dollar sequel ala bg3
brightest timeline
>>
>>3634124
>isn't that game a choose your own adventure game not an rpg tho
No, it has gear and stat checks and everything. It's more of an rpg than PST is arguably.
>>
>>3634562
it also doesn't have interesting puzzles that require player effort like a point and click, just riding the narrative
>>
>>3633819
>Planescape was something new
yeah, man
who would've thought you could write a bad book and stuff it inside a dialogue tree expander instead of making a video game and still call it a video game and sell it (barely?) on the back of people's insecurities about playing video games
groundbreaking stuff
>>
>>3634589
Nobody had an insecurity about playing cRPGs in the 90s, social media wasn't a thing, kiddo. But, an RPG where the goal is to die was new. Here's the thing new doesn't mean good, but it does mean new. See, you kids just have nothing of your own, you can only attack the past. Truly sad.
>>
I’ve been posting on forums since the mid 90s and this is the most unhappy video game discussion board I’ve ever seen. Most anons here don’t even seem to have fun playing games anymore, they just want to argue.
>>
>>3634596
Very specious conclusion based on a naive belief that what you see is what is. This IS having fun.
>>
>>3634593
I was there gandalf
the "why didn't they just write a book"* was definitely something people talked about
there were plenty of crpgs with a bigger focus on the gameplay

*same reason why so many game designers don't just make movies. and the entire medium suffers for it
>>
>>3634601
Well, what you said is a mid to late 2000s way of looking at video games, when everyone was suddenly trying to be artsy and "uplift the medium". PS:T, flawed as it was, was a sincere attempt at subverting RPG conventions from a desire to do something new, not from a desire to tear down the past.
>>
>>3634596
Schizo retards doing schizo retard shit. It's this entire website, not just /vrpg/.
>>
>>3633792
Amnesiac protagonists are pretty common in the genre. This description would apply to witcher 1 as well.
>>
>>3633958
>>3633961
according to this article, Kurvitz and Rostov started a new studio called Red Info Ltd
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/another-group-of-ex-disco-elysium-developers-found-dark-math-games
The hopes of a sequel aren't dead.
>>
>>3634537
if only it was half as well written as planescape torment.
>>
>>3633613
>>3633621
Looks like game studios are great at management.
>>
>>3633596
As commies say in France:
One Trotskyist is a party, two Trotskyists is a tendency, three Trotskyists is a split.
>>
>>3633580
I'm built like this.
>>
>>3634796
They don't own the right to the DE story, characters or universe so yeah it is dead actually
>>
>>3634890
How is that even possible when it's based on his own book?
>>
>>3634894
It is possible when you are an alcoholic and not reading what you signing.
>>
>>3634912
Fuck.
>>
>>3634912
You don’t know what you’re talking about. Nothing prevents them from doing a game set in the books universe. I highly doubt Kurvitz signed away the intellectual property rights to his book, it wasn’t directly connected to the game in any way. They probably wouldn’t be able to use DE’s characters, skills, or the thought cabinet but if he still owns the rights to the book, which is most likely the case, using the setting should be fine.
>>
>>3633594
The drunk asshole writer that is the reason it was any good got fired because he is a drunk asshole then the remaining commies got scammed out of their studio by rich faggot.
>>
>>3634978
>I highly doubt
so you don't know either?
>>
>>3636190
>never publicly stated he sold the rights to the book, which the game is at most loosely based on the same universe
>this definetly means he sold the rights to the book
you are fucking retarded. This is like assuming he sold the rights to the music his shitty band made when he started the company, it's got nothing to do with the game. The burden of proof is on you to prove he sold the book rights, not on me to prove he didn't.
>>
>>3636309
yes, you both are talking out your ass. why not email the guy or something.
>>
File: DISCO SCHISM.png (1.52 MB, 1500x1000)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>
File: cc1.jpg (28 KB, 619x453)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>3633580
I lost count at two Disco-inspired games.
So which one looks like a cool game and not just a clone.
>>
File: images.jpg (65 KB, 452x678)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>3636779
This game is already out and has a decently original spin on the formula. I've only played the demo but it seems decent.
>>
>>3637607
it's trash, we already went over it here
>>
File: 1650310167371 (1).png (65 KB, 723x861)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>3633580
>OH MY FUCKING GOD TYRONE, IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING, THE REVOLUTION WAS A REALLY FUCKING GREAT IDEA THEY'RE GOING TO BEHEAD MY WH*TE WHORE OF A CHUDCEL INCEL WIFE. STFU TYRONE, IT'S FUCKING EPICLY GLORIOUS! A BUNCH OF BROWN BEANERFUCK NIGGER TRANNY SPICS ARE GOING TO BEHEAD MY OPPRESSIVE NAZI CHUD CUNT INCEL WHORE WIFE, YOU JUST DON'T GET IT, THIS IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN TO ALL WH*TE PEOPLE. OH TYRONE, DON'T BE SUCH A BABY, YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER NIGGER THAT WOULD'VE PROBABLY GOTTEN SHOT UP IN SOME RETARDED GANG WAR LIKE THE VIOLENT APES THAT YOU ARE, IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT TO DIE JUST TO GET TO WITNESS THIS, AND THE ONLY THING WORTH CRYING ABOUT RIGHT NOW IS THAT THEY'RE PROBABLY NOT GOING TO PUT JEFRE CANTU-LEDESMA ON AS THEY SPLIT OPEN HER NECK LETTING US WATCH THE BLOODLETTING TO THE BEAUTIFUL SOMBER SHIMMER REVERB WH*TE NOISE OF LOVE IS A STREAM. WELL I GUESS WE COULD AND SHOULD CRY IF BY SOME CHANCE THESE INDIO WETBACK ESE BORDER HOPPING FUCKS PUT ON TOUCHED FROM MBV'S LOVELESS (ACTUALLY THAT WOULD BE SO FUCKING BAD I WOULD RATHER THEY NOT MURDER MY INCEL CHUDCEL NAFO WIFE, TO AVOID HAVING THEM DEFILE SUCH A HOLY MOMENT). ALL I CAN HOPE FOR AT THIS POINT IS FOR THEM TO USE A RUSTY CUNT ON HER NECK SO SHE CAN SUFFER AT LEAST 0.0001% AS MUCH AS BROWN PEOPLE AND JEWS SUFFERED UNDER WH*TE OPPRESSIVE RULE AND REALIZE THAT THIS SHOULD HAPPEN TO EVERY OTHER WH*TE PERSON FOR THEIR EVIL CRIMES OF *CHECKS NOTES* EXISTING!. PURE ECSTASY. ACTUALLY I ALSO REGRET NOT BEING ABLE TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE GY!BE DISCOGRAPHY ONE LAST TIME SINCE THEY ARE THE GREATEST POST ROCK BAND EVER.
>>
>>3636689
DESU it's kinda neat that capitalism even found a way to sew up the loser burnout commie schizoid market.
>>
>>3638068
You never wondered why the Rothschilds gave millions to the Bolsheviks, anon?
>>
>>3638071
Silence, goy.
>>
>>3638033
I kek’d admittedly
>>
>>3633594
>bunch of rich kids, children of post-soviet robber barons play RPGs together, they're a bunch of commie larpers
>they homebrew an original setting, a world separated into isolas by a supernatural fog called the pale
>the group includes Aleksander Rostov the lead artist, Helen Hindpere one of lead writers, one who thanked Lenin and Marx at the game awards, Argo Tuulik one of the lead writers, and Robert Kurvitz the DM of the RPG group and lead designer for disco
>Kurvitz thinks the shit they're coming up with is so good he writes a Sci-Fi novel set in this setting "The Strange and Terrible Air" he gets it friend Kender another estonian author to help him publish it
>It flops horribly but since he's a rich kid and has all the money his daddy stole during the fall of the soviet union it doesn't bankrupt him, Kender tells him no one reads books anymore and he should make a game instead
>Kender introduces the gang to his rich friend Kompus who is like a business guy and they get him to run the buisness side while they make the game
>pooling this money together the gang gets to work and after 4 years they put out disco to wide acclaim and massive sales
>Kurvitz takes a vacation while Helen, Tuulik, and Rostov continue working on the Final Cut DLC
>Kompos takes this opportunity to orchestrate a coup and ousts Kurvits from Za/um
>Helen and Rostov side with Kurvitz and get ousted too, Tuulik turns Judas and stays with Za/um and publicly bad mouth's Kurvitz et al, says they're working on Disco 2
>Kompos then starts cancelling projects left and right, including Disco 2, mass layoffs for everyone at Za/um, selling off large portions of the company, pocketing it all for himself, Tuulik gets fired, now he realizes he got played like a fiddle and joins Kurvitz
>Kompos now owns Za/um and Disco Elysium entirely

>Dark Math Games
>Headed by Kender
>Grabbed up a bunch of the ex Za/um folks

>Longdue Games
>Headed by Kurvitz
>Grabbed up his RPG buddies Rostov, Tuulik, Helen
>>
>>3633580
>strong chest
Those marxist cunts have never seen a strong chest in their life.
>>
Where did the lead writer end up, anyways?
>>
>>3638384
the moral of the story? never trust a kender.
>>
>>3638384
Wrong, the five Disco successor studios are

>RED info LTD
>Rostov, Kurvitz, Helen

>Longdue
>Bunch of random ex-ZA/UM/Rockstar/Bungie employees, none of the key Disco Elysuim staff.

>Dark Math Games
>Kender

>Summer Eternal
>Tuulik + about a dozen ex-ZA/UM employees

>ZA/UM
>Kompos + Owns the Disco Elysium IP and all associated works in the world of Disco such as "The Sacred and Terrible Air."

>>3638439
Kurvitz ended up founding RED info LTD, they haven't announced any projects yet
>>
>>3638468
Jesus Christ, what a mess. Kompos now has nothing. The IP is fuckking worthless.
>>
>>3638384
Only normal person is Argo. Shame he got kicked out tho. Watched interview with him and he seemed honest about things. He even stopped sucking Kurvitz's dick at some point, but Rostov started doing it instead.
>>
>>3638509
you say that, but wait for the netflix adaptation.
>>
File: 1711985979316073.png (1.38 MB, 796x878)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>3638582
>>
>>3638392
reading is hard
>>3638513
>only normal person
a normal person could not have written disco elysium, it takes a certain type of schizo alchoholic from a post commie shithole to put together.
>>
Put three communists together in a room
>they'll have formed five splinter parties
>developed a dozen new interpretations of Marxism
>had two purges
>50 million dead

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.