[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 279776.jpg (14 KB, 360x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
I'm a programmer, so i will be able to do something like a free browser game. Ideally I'd want collab, but if only have ideas, that is fine too.
We will solve everything polls.
Let's begin with the setting (12 options):
https://strawpoll.com/poy9WXkzJgJ
>>
>west sea isles late-roman empire losing lands
>play as celts, goths, franks, alemanis, huns vs romans
>>
>>1581460
>No Byzantium
>>
>>1581460
won't let me vote saying i have a vpn which i do not actually have.

so:
>fantasy

anyway the simplest i can think of is the warlords series

you have nodes (settlements) scattered on a map and conquer the nodes before your opponent does.
there are some good flash games like that that i remember

what engine did you want to use?
>>
>>1581646
honestly, 5th century might not be bad

>you have nodes (settlements) scattered on a map and conquer the nodes before your opponent does.
yeap, sound good, maybe add some coomer like you have a chance of capturing waifu

>what engine did you want to use?
Unity I guess
>>
>design by committee
wew

>pick setting before type of game
wew

>i am a programmer
sophomore or junior?
>>
and on top of it
you're ESL
herbs
>>
>>1582351
senior
>>
>>1582030
>>1582336
Sounds like the game I've been working on for the past 2 weeks.
It's set shortly after the fall of !Rome in !Europe. It's fantasy but not too much, more like an epic tale of ancient times with a few traditional elements like dragons and gods. And in an alternate Earth so I don't have to bother about historical accuracy.
Kinda like warlords you have settlements on some cells that act as fiefs, but it's not about conquering the whole map. It's more of a strategy/RPG with alternative goals for your characters and dynasty.

Right now I'm playing around on Godot to see how big I can make my map and how I should do it. (Hex? Squares? Free?)
I planned on making a hex map at first but I want the battle maps to use the same map system and I don't think hex cells are great for battles with big armies. I'll see.
>>
>>1583058
polygons
>>
>>1583058
There's been thread wars about it already between squares and hex.
Do yourself a favor and make them small and invisible and give the armies pseudo free movement.

As for maps you could do a cool, curated overworld one divided by regions and then randomize local regional maps where the actual wars are fought.
>>
>>1581460
It is a pretty interesting fantasy won.
I never understood if historical or fantasy is more popular.
I mean, it seems like Warhammer Total Wars breaking the bank while their historical games flop.
>>
>>1581460
Musicfag here. if it's fun, I might join.
Bonus points for a Master of Magic Sauron Simulator.
>>
>>1582030
Not OP, but we could make something simple, like Battle for Wesnoth but actually fun.
>>
>>1582383
Make a discord group or something. it's faster. I'd join
>>
>>1584362
Who dis?
>>
File: ireland.png (2.09 MB, 4754x5746)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB PNG
>>1581460
I had this goal of making Ireland Ireland-focused game.
It would be only semi-historical and very simple...
>>
>>1584752
Some random guy doing music for games. I no longer have a SoundCloud, but if the project is interesting I would like to join. I can post something on vocaroo.
If you meant the pic, just AI generated art from /tg/.
Also AI generated assets are not perfect, but they can make artists create work much faster.
>>
>>1584907
Looks kino.
>>
>>1583934
>make them small
On the overworld map they won't be, ok the battle map? Maybe
>and invisible
That was the plan, no visible grid.
>and give the armies pseudo free movement.
I was thinking about that, I'm not sure it's a good idea.
Like what if a unit is on multiple cells at once? I'll find a way to make it work but I'm scared I'll complexify the battles too much

>>1584743
No better way to kill a budding public project than to isolate yourself in a private group
>>
>>1585193
You can have the thread and the discord link, and there are discords with literal thousands of people. Age of Wonders 4 does it that way. it works because people can send files very fast.
>>
>>1585193
on* the battle map

And no the overworld won't have pre-drawn regions, but hexes so you draw borders more precisely through your actual control over lands and not some magical pre-decided regions.
Actually there probably won't be borders at all. You have your character that you control directly and who can command the place he's at, and then you have subjects and vassals who keep your domain for you or have their own and swore loyalty to you.
So you don't have borders per say but a big network of more or less loyal subjects who have authority over the nearby lands.
The goal is to have a medieval strategy game that feels like the feudal era and not an absolute power monarchy.

>>1585197
If all discussion is moved to a private group, the thread and project looks dead to newcomers. It works when you already have clout and a solid group of people working on it who need a private group to actually organize themselves, but all general discussions should be where the project was launched.
This should not be the first step to a project.
>>
>>1585200
We could eventually move to /agdg/ too. It's comfy. Not the best example, but Broquest happened suddenly with a bunch of random banded together. Then some of thes randos created towergirls.
What does the project have so far?
>Feudal
>Fantasy
>pseudo free movement
>>
Well, it is good that I don't know where this project is going, so it must be going somewhere.

>>1585200
Support free movement, something Warband.

>>1585206
I guess setting next?
I'd like to take numbers from Diplomacy and have 7 factions.
Maybe 2 major ones, and 5 minor ones.
Total 25 strongholds/cities, majors starting with 5, and minors with 3?
>>
>>1585244
Factions:
Humans. (average)
Evil humans (undead). (balanced, good at overwhelming but some high quality troops too)
>goblins and orcs: rushers, can get some late game tankier units. Paper buildings.
Demons. (start slow but snowball into something unstoppable) great strongholds, shit buildings.
Halflings/Elves: (squishy skirmishers, hiding and attacking from the shadows)
Dark Elves: good for a quick crushing assault. Great cavalry. If the enemy endures they get fucked unless they rely on monstrous beasts and spells.
Dwarves: turtling asshats, but very good at it. Great builders. Good luck expanding fast tho.
>>
>>1585300
I was kinda hoping we would not include fantasy races, or at least not most generic ones.
>>
>>1585300
I think there's some need to discuss the scale we want this to be at.

>>1585200
An hex overworld apparently where settlements are placed and armies move.
And a battlemap

But do we need buildings and singular units like age of empires or a more simple troop vs troop like total war?

(I actually wanted the battlemap to include the lesser settlements and partitions of the armies involved on a regional scale, temporary buildings and recruitment on a budget for limited conflicts, where the overworld would feel like eu4 with empire wide decision making).
>>
>>1585404
Ezpz.
>1. Kingdom of Lorrem:
Medieval Arthurian kingdom, sturdy knights and paladins.
>2. Republic of Maerith
Ruled by wizards. lots of casters and friendly magic creatures.
>3. Rule of Gardra
Picts, animals and werebeasts
>4. Kingdom of Astal
No Magic: the kingdom. But great sturdy walls and infantry.
>5. Sandren
Humans ruled by a vampire lord. with necromancer cults and gothic aesthetics. they use creatures of the night as allies and summons. they can be cunts but are not necessarily evil
>6. Ystiniar.
Dark ages evil humans. think of Nockmaar from willow. instead of paladin they have dark knights
>7. Pharoth
Demonic cult of evil humans, evil creatures and demons. over powered
>>
>>1585434
Well, you made it sound as boring as you could, good on you.
I just don't know why do we even need magic.
>>
>>1585529
Throw in a few spells and it can be fun.
Basic bitch humans using holy spells, Picts using werewolf transformations to turn squishy troops into murderous savages, vampires spamming skeletons and summoning horrors, mages using offensive spells and demon cult using a mix of everything plus debuffs.
Custom races in fantasy were a mistake, but you can throw in a giant boar for rams and things like that. In terms of aesthetic it's easy to make it diverse.
>>
We might be getting too hung up on the setting and less on the mechanics of the game.

Since it's something medieval either way:
Do you want army on army like eu4, troop vs troop total war, or unit vs unit Aoe.
>>
>>1585607
Something like Advance wars might do it.
Tactics combat + unit spawn + gold + global spells + locations to capture.
If you want to go crazy add terrain modification and building but that might be too complex.
>>
>>1585434
>>1585573
>>1585607
>>1585662
Does it need to be medieval tho? I'm kind of a sucker for Renaissance Pike and Shot tactics, that transition period between the knights of old and more modern infantries. Also the idea of a mage gunslinger that mixes ranged sharpshooting and devastating AoE spells thru the use of stuff like enchanted bullets sounds kino af.
>>
>>1585681
Why not both? The no magic faction could be a tech faction. but instead of going full steampunk we go with cuirassiers, musketeers, cannons and all this kind of cool shit.
>>
>>1581460
What about Panzer Doctrine like map for the overworld?
Haven't actually played it, but I believe doing it with Unity would be fairly easy.

I'd also like to not make this entirely a war game, but 25% war, 25% economy, 25% diplomacy, 25% administrative
>>
>>1585698
Can they be dwarves? Or are we not doing fantasy races?
>>
>>1585923
Dunno. I kinda like this idea though. Fantasy races is overdone
>>1585434
>>
File: 535333.png (39 KB, 766x382)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>1585923
>>1585928
why would they have to be dwarves?
>>1581460
Anyhow here is a poll to solve this issue:
https://strawpoll.com/XmZRxKrrvnd
>>
>>1585932
>vote for fantasy game
>vote again for no magic or fantasy races
I hope we're not going for the game of thrones audience. That would be dull as fuck
>>
>>1585939
GoT would be better 100 better without magic, snow zombies and dragons
>>
>>1585404
>I think there's some need to discuss the scale we want this to be at.
True, after the race vote could put that to vote too.

Possible scales being:
>Cyprus-size (10K km2)
>Sicily-size (25K km2)
>Slovakia-size (50K km2)
>Iceland-size (100K km2)
>Great Britain-size (200K km2)
>Spain-size (500K km2)
>Egypt-size (1M km2)
>Greenland size (2M km2)
>Australia size (5M km2)
>Europe size (10M km2)

With larger scale, we could have more impassable land, more diverse cultures and climates
>>
File: WTF?.jpg (75 KB, 897x518)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>1585932
>>1585939
>>1585941
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
>>
>>1586089
>5 votes
This board really doesn't have enough people to get this going. We may as well use some app to make a team and shill a thread on /v/
>>
>>1586089
I voted neither, but I'm beginning to warm up to fantasy races, it just that I still don't want them to be Tolkien-esque.

My idea would justify each humanoid race with the race being a result of a god fucking an animal,
so you would have stuff like:
>monkey + god = humans
>boar + god = (boar) orcs
>cattle + god = minotaurs
>lizard + god = lizardmen

So, no races with no clear animal ancestor like goblins, or elves, or trolls. Or non-humanoid like centaurs, mermen.
None of the races would be set, but I think 12 would be a good number, despite only 7 factions, some of the races, could be minorities living under reign of oppression.
>>
>>1586283
tree+god=elves

rock+god=dwarves

rats+god=skaven

it could be a result of powerful wizards from ages past whom fucked around too much and now magic doesn't even exist anymore but their fucked up creations do.

with humans being the original ancient race pulling the strings from the shadows to reclaim their lost power.

also everybody has pike and shot in their own way.

orcs have savage pike regiments with little armor but move fast and big warbows instead of guns.

elves have the heaviest armors to protect their frail constitution

dwarves have natural rock skin

anyway i don't really like magic that can overturn a battle, at most it should be some ritual for the economy or some bonuses on the overmap
like how saruman made an army of uruks and armed them all in a short time.
>>
File: mapIMade.png (36 KB, 1920x1080)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>1585971
If we end up going with a large-scale map, here is my proposal (for basic lanshape).
I think it is appealing, and has geographic diversity

>>1586309
>tree+god=elves
>rock+god=dwarves
Not animals.

Fuck the elves, overdone, lazy, boring.
I'm indifferent to dwarfs, but do find them somewhat boring as well.

>anyway i don't really like magic that can overturn a battle, at most it should be some ritual for the economy or some bonuses on the overmap
like how saruman made an army of uruks and armed them all in a short time.
Yeah, if we do include magic, it should be more satanic sacrifice rite type, than generic sorcery where everyone can shoot fireballs.
>>
>>1581460
With such projects scope is key. Set a small idea and complete it, be very wary of expanding the idea further. Work with the limitations you have and dont go outside of them.

Dreamers and scope expanders will kill your project dead for good. Work on one bit, complete it, and then on to the next.

Scope wise i'd recommend an advance wars like structure for simplicity. I still have some old info gathered on that.

T. Modder guy who once drafted up plans for an advance wars game only to get scrammed by a programmer.
>>
>>1586283
Humans
Minotaur
Orcs (boar men)
Lizardmen
Fishmen
werewolf
satyrs (goatmen)

that's 7, stuggling to come up with more
>>
File: 34333.png (591 KB, 600x1058)
591 KB
591 KB PNG
>>1586391
not sure Rabbitmen
>>
>>1586348
Spoken like a true Dev.
1. set up a single faction with placeholder units.
2. get the gameplay going.
3. modify it until it's fun
4. draw the rest of the horse
>>
>>1586402
Provided any of you are interested, i can show off what I had (character and world design) to you all
>>
File: mapIMade.png (46 KB, 1920x1080)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>1586328
Assuming we are going through this, I have divided it into 25 provinces.

If someone wants to divide the 25 provinces between 7 powers so that:
2 countries control 5
and 5 countries control 3

They are welcome to do so. I'd usually do it myself, but for the sake of cooperation.
>>
>>1586328
>has geographic diversity
Fucking where? You wouldn't happen to have terrain and biome maps, would you?
>>
>>1586283
>>1586309
>>1586328
>>1586391
>>1586393
I'm no furry myself, but i'm on board with non-human beastmen factions if you guys are. The more variety the better, helps everything stand out from each other, and hopefully makes the world less boring overall.
>>
and again it's all well and good to brainstorm but factions and regions aren't mechanics

how does attacking work, how is movement done, stats and how they interact, randomization by dice rolls or not? etc. etc.
>>
>>1586486
>how does attacking work, how is movement done, stats and how they interact, randomization by dice rolls or not? etc. etc.
Probably still depends on the faction tho, or at least it should in theory. Idk why anyone would want all the factions to play the exact same except for giga-autists.
>>
File: Untitled.png (797 KB, 576x1016)
797 KB
797 KB PNG
>>1586469
also thinking of bugmen

>>1586466
might do them later, diversity is in landscape, .ie. it has isthmuses, straits, gulfs, bays,
>>
File: fantasy_map.png (272 KB, 2000x1125)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>1586432
Fuck it, I do it myself.

Might be on the generic side, but everybody but the Satyrs borders multiple factions. Any changes are welcome.

>>1586348
>>1586486
Personally, I think we should focus on making something playable even if extremely simple.
So, maybe start with a Risk system, and work from there?
>>
>>1586518
>So, maybe start with a Risk system, and work from there?
Yeah probably, at until someone in chat has better ideas. Tell us when you have something at least remotely workable ready.
>>
>>1586495
Actually I came up with something better: God+Bird=Harpies Fulfills a similar niche, anyways. Not enough flying units in this game yet.

Also:
>diversity is in landscape
It's called LANDscape, that means biomes like Mountains, Deserts, and Jungles, not just bodies of water. Also you're failing to consider how the placement of rivers and faultlines would on the way the world looks, how it's balanced, what civilizations would emerge where, taking into account what resource limitations they have, etc.
>>
>>1586518
>>1586586
>>1586491

>risk system

and that is what i meant for mechanics
first we decide the system of rules to be used then we find ways to shove in faction specific rules.

if it's risk based or similar then the randomized effect should be dices then?

because i do actually have a system prepared to expand on risk
>>
>>1586592
Idk. There was a game I saw a few weeks ago that has a neat system, but I forgot what it was called.
>>
>>1586589
I think we can merge several races in one faction. Kind of a la heroes of might and magic Nighon. We could have a halloweeny faction, as in vampires, werewolves, gargoyles, witches and skeletons. Still this doesn't matter much.

Mechanics first. what kind of game are we trying to do? Turn Strategy, right?
Risk is simple and effective but iat the end of the day it won't outrisk risk. What about a risk+ tactics game? with battle maps where you can upgrade your capital and conquer towns and cities. Kind of like Warcraft 3 risk-like maps where you had to lower the main building's hp below 40% to conquer the territory. This would allow for certain amount of city building and army tactics.
A bit like Battle for Wesnoth but without the bullshit luck.
>>
>>1586644
>Kind of like Warcraft 3 risk-like maps where you had to lower the main building's hp below 40% to conquer the territory.
This seems like a neat idea, but i'm going to keep looking for that tabletop title in the meantime, see if I can pull it up for you guys.
>>
Actually, on second thought, anon: I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of X-Com. Where your main strategy/administrative duties are done with a real time world map, something similar to other map painters like Hoi or Eu, while battles are done in a turn-based style on their own separate battle grids.
>>
Here's a poll since nobody was making one.
>Pick what style of gameplay anons would prefer here:
https://strawpoll.com/BJnX8KMaXnv
>>
File: 343344.jpg (404 KB, 1916x999)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>1586664
So, real-time with pause go to real-time?
Where does Advanced War fit into?

> We could have a halloweeny faction, as in vampires, werewolves, gargoyles, witches and skeletons.
Already have werewolves as a faction, "Wolfman Tribes" >>1586518

Think unit recruitment should tied to territory, much like in Lost Technology.

>>1586586
baby steps, but managed to get the map Unity as mesh, which required redrawing the map as vectors.

>>1586589
Oh? What is the word the studies the sea line between land and sea? Is it shape then?

>>1586592
Certainly don't want it to be merely Risk that is 100% war.
>>
>>1586664
i think it's up to the devs if they want to make something that is rts
but i fear that it would balloon the project out of proportion

at first lets just focus on the overmap experience

will it be provinces and regions like risk or free movement and nodes?

there was also talk of hexes

how big would the hexes be? big enough for two or more armies to fight inside?
smaller than a settlement?

will settlements expand on the map like civ?
(i personally hope not they look horrendous, at most i'm up for visual improvements)
>>
>>1581460
very cool project. ill make the logo
>>
>>1586691
>What is the word the studies the sea line between land and sea
Cartography, the word you're looking for is cartography, which is the mapping of coastlines.
>>
Also nice that you got the map up and running already, good work so far!
>>
>>1586701
>will it be provinces and regions like risk or free movement and nodes?
Why not both? No seriously, like you have to take over provinces and sub-regions akin to your typical map-painter like I've said before. But once you've set up shop in their turf, you have to start building up infrastructure like roads between all your major production and trading hubs, as well as other important POIs such as your capital, and any military outposts you might wanna build/commandeer. And your units can move freely along these roads, or thru enemy territory during a conquest. Also I really like the idea that each map biome comes with its own pros and cons when it comes to traversal/campaigning.
>>
>>1581460
Ore Monogatari Chad
>>
File: fantasy_map.png (397 KB, 2445x1126)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
>>1586802
yep, tricky thing was naming them, still not sure if those portmanteaus are acceptable. The next thing would be to database them.

Also lore wise, every faction should take inspiration from one civilisation, thinkings:

Humans = French (chivalrous)
Satyrs = Romans (decadent, smart)
Wolfmen = Germans (migratory)
Fishmen = Irish (ambushes)
Orc = Arabs
Minotaur = Greeks
Lizardmen = Danes (raiding)
>>
>>1586836
OP. disregard any and all lore and race ideas until you get gameplay or you'll get stuck in Dev hell.
>>
>>1586875
true, at this stage armies and settlements are to be considered blank slates to be painted over later depending on flavor chosen.

if anything i would rather have the player themselves build their own races and factions so there's no bellyaching.

because deep down so long as there's both melee and ranged mechanics it doesn't matter if it's historical or fantasy, bronze age or pike and shot.

even more if it's like risk and there's only armies fighting.
>>
>>1587076
that is something age of Wonders 4 did and they didn't do bad, but I believe if we put some effort we could do even better. customization leads to breaking the game but that's fun.
>>
File: 34343.png (126 KB, 1618x1080)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
basic dabatase, I don't even know if I need center, considering messes should have their own center
>>
>>1587129
>we're rolling with the worst fantasy suggestion.
yikes.
>>
>>1587399
it was also the only suggestion
>>
>>1587401
There were like 3 in this thread alone.
>>
>>1586836
>Also lore wise, every faction should take inspiration from one civilisation, thinkings:
Personally I think this a bad idea for worldbuild, I'd rather use 2 or 3 cultures as a base, then inject elements unique to the setting, that way it doesn't just feel like a bland copy-paste of earth, while still having a familiar atmosphere that feels grounded and relatable.

But like the other reply says, wait until the finer details of gameplay start getting locked in, otherwise you end up with bloated features that are amazing on paper, but end up being unfun when put into gameplay.
>>
>>1587420
True.

But to start it might be a good idea to give each faction a loose personality, so I play them according to some guidelines.

Such personality could be:
>aggression, how willing they are to attack other factions
>thrift, how willing they are to save up money
>boldness, how willing they are to attack stronger armies
>honour, how not-willing they are to fight weaker armies
>charity, how willing they are to spend money on buildings
>>
>>1587453
That's AI behavior and comes later.

The base of a system is how to make armies and settlements interact with each other and with the terrain.
>>
Okay, so I found that boardgame again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTPR03NOOw
In hindsight, I don't think any of us would want to play something so braindead simple, but I do like the idea of each faction having different mechanics.
>>
File: 3334.png (471 KB, 2445x1126)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
>>1587781
good point

>>1581460
Here is something I have wanted to experiment with.
Imagine, this operates like Risk, but provinces connect to other provinces differently.
There would be three types of adjacents (pic-related):
>land route (green)
>strait route (yellow)
>sea route (red)

When an army moves though a strait or sea route, it has a chance of drowning, and when that happens it is completely wiped out.
For straits base would be 10%, while for ocean routes it would be 30%.

Chance could also be modifier by faction, like Fishmen could only have 15% chance of dying in ocean, while minitours it would be 60%
>>
>>1587813
hey i played it tabletop!

i wouldn't call it braindead and it's fun to try a new playstyle each time
some factions objectives aren't even direct conquest!

but i like the thought of varied faction mechanics, however i would make it more depending on player choices because if a player really likes a faction aesthetics but they don't vibe with the mechanics it's a player lost.

if i could add another idea taken from a board game there was one about choosing a fantastical race then adding an adjective from a list that modified the playstyle and try to dominate as much of the land as possible before they inevitably declined.
>>1588329
how would you make those percentages work?
is it doable to show it as dices?
>>
>>1588402
>how would you make those percentages work?
>is it doable to show it as dices?
I mean dice themself are just simulated random numbers, so I don't see how that would be a problem.
>>
>>1585300
>Humans. (average)
>evil humans (balanced)
retard
>>
>>1588516
Not like we're going anywhere ITT.
Very few people. Even fewer actually usable response.
>>
File: climat.png (97 KB, 3840x2160)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>1588521
Well, I can only do so much work alone...
>>
Keep calm guys we're still in early developedment.

For my tabletop idea armies were made up of banners to represent singular regiments of troops.

Each of these banners contribute a single dice roll which has three possible results:
Kills an enemy banner
Raises the battle score by 1
Prevents 1 unit from getting killed

The army with the greatest battle score wins the fight and the other one retreat one space.

Granted this system was developed for bigger maps than this...
>>
File: fantasy_map.png (345 KB, 2607x1126)
345 KB
345 KB PNG
>>1581460
I did get ahead of myself and planned for stage 2, in which the number of provinces is quadrupled, and 9 minor powers added.
I have no idea about the 9 minor powers, so if you have ideas... Feel free to suggest. Again, needs to be based on animals or existing races, so no elves.

Also, for the time being, I'm calling the project by the bizarre name "Seldom Shatter".
>>
File: fantasy_map.png (538 KB, 3215x1294)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
At this point, I'm just talking to myself, but it's better to store my thoughts before I forget.

The battle system in V2 should be a mix of Diplomacy and Risk. Gameplay loop would work like this:
>each country has a home territory (2-6 provinces, pic related)
>turn is simul turn
>each turn player can do few actions:
>a) spend gold to raise LEGIONS in their home territory
>b) move their old legions, if a legion enters enemy territory dice is rolled, to determine the outcome of the invasion
>c) build forts, the forts set a minimum number of LEGIONS needed to attack a province, so if you want to attack level 1, you need at least 5 LEGIONS, however, once the threshold is met, the fort does not give any benefits to the defenders
>d) support rebels, if enemy hold non-home territory, player can support the rebellion of a non-existing nation, if rebels reach certain amount of funds, they will spawn a rebel legions. Supporting rebels should be 50% cheaper than raising legions

The actual moving of armies patterns simultaneously, the logic there is more complex, so I don't go there.

Regardless, after the moves, every province a country controls collects taxes from it.
After taxes, the sum of legions and fort is subtracted from it. If the player's treasury is negative player, is forced to delete some of their forts and armies, because they can no longer afford them.
>repeat
>>
>>1589087
well, to close the circle of life we probably need insects and avians

for insects i will propose the Grand Mandate
an imperialist nation focused on outbuilding all the others with grand projects built with cheap drone labour

and for the Avians the cult of clouded skies
whose prophet prophesized a whole year of rain to fall in the future and for which they must prepare by conquering all the high terrain for their people.
>>
>>1588329
>>1588525
>>1589087
>>1589310
So you think it's almost time for biomes and terrain, yet? The thing that excites me is how different terrain types will affect the core gameplay loop.
>>
>>1589757
All that is bit ahead. But I'm not sure what to do with biomes and elevation, from the perspective of Risk mechanics, other than maybe give certain factions benefits in certain terrain.
E.g. wolfs are better at fighting in the forest than humans.

>>1589314
Yeah, added insectmen and avians.
insectmen live in the eastern island next to the Snake Priesthood.
While Avians, have been reduced to an island between Humans and Orc, after orcs invaded 66% of their territory.

Insect Grandmandate might be better than Insect Commune.
>>
>>1589819
>But I'm not sure what to do with biomes and elevation, from the perspective of Risk mechanics, other than maybe give certain factions benefits in certain terrain
I mean, you'd think there'd be debuffs to movement and such in swamps or mountains, especially if they're a faction that can't fly.
>>
File: RACES.jpg (1.64 MB, 1965x2157)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
Here is a visualization of the races, minus the humans.
I still need to come up with 3 races... so feel free to suggest anything.

Note about orcs and pigmen.
Orcs are boar-men, so they have fur and tusks, and are 2 meters tall, and war-like, while pigmen are dwarfs, with no fur or tusk, they are peaceful. The Pigman Democracy has fallen under the Great Orc Kingdom, but might liberated.
>>
>no random map generator
this game is shit
>>
>>1589932
Are some of these pics AI? I seriously hope we aren't using these in the final game, and that these are just an example. Whatever happened to that Graphic Designer guy who said he'd do the logo?
>>
File: fantasy_map.jpg (1.78 MB, 3215x1613)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
>>1590320
3-4 of them are AI, but yes they are meant to be just conceptual. However, these icons I made, for all 25 factions (even if some are dormant), are intended to be final-ish, even if some might be adjusted.

Honestly, I'm not still not sure if the serpentine people should crawl or have legs.

>Whatever happened to that Graphic Designer guy who said he'd do the logo?
Considering, we are not even set on a name, "Seldom Shatter" only being a placeholder, not needed for the time being.

The remaining races, I have chosen are horsemen, rabbit men, crab men, and beavers. Those might still be changed.

Next, I should go back to V1, and make something workable, so wen can move to V2, and do adjustments.
>>
>>1590372
>I'm not still not sure if the serpentine people should crawl or have legs
Obviously, Slither is the real option here. Also when did you suddenly become a namefag?
>>
File: south.png (85 KB, 2895x2200)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>1590475
Honestly, at this point, it is only a matter of time before I get impersonated, so better get ahead of it.

Made some small progress with Unity, JSON storing turns out to be bitchy, but getting there.

Meanwhile, the idea is to manually draw the elevation of the entire map. Pic related is an elevation southern continent, which is contested between:
>Minotaur Despotate
>Satyr Republic
>Rodent Princedom
>Ursian Sovereignty

releasable nations
>Deerman Lordship
>Koalaman Coalition
>>
>>1590711
Mind if you make a mega to share your project files? I've been thinking of trying out some custom map ideas I wanna get outta my head before I forget them.
>>
File: lando.png (1.38 MB, 5026x2292)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>1591640
I could, but I don't see why.
At this project, doesn't have much going for it, other than things I have shown.

I'm not even sure what I'm going to with the typology map I posted, just did it for fun, I really think 2D element is the best choice, so maybe just use it as a texture.
>>
>>1589819
>unironically adding insectmen
disgusting. Beetles were the patrician option.
>>
>>1590711
You just know your game will be filled with furfags. It will increase exposure, but that is a dangerous game you're playing, OP.
>>
>>1591983
we can go with beetles

>>1591985
I know, I didn't want so many mammals but could come up with non-mammals.

I'm sticking with Minotaurs, Satyrs, and Ratmen, but Koalamen, Bearmen, and Deermen are up to change.
>>
File: map.png (2.2 MB, 1920x1080)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
I had hoped that using the layered map to depict, the elevation would have worked, but it doesn't seem as good as I thought, so maybe it is indeed better to stick with 2D.

Regardless, at this rate, this project will die as I'm only one working on it...
>>
>>1592596
That's why I wanted a megaupload of the project!
>>
Gouda-san, are you still alive? Any news or progress?
>>
File: preview.webm (2.45 MB, 1920x1080)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB WEBM
>>1594159
To be honest, I have not worked on it for a few days, I have taken the time to work on an animated history video (pic-related), and I hope to finish it before I resume the project, which shouldn't take too long.

I did come up with some game mechanics, the idea would be to divide the game into four seasons, each season being a turn, but different factions might receive roll bonuses during different seasons, e.g.
>bear folk would get +8 during winter
>humans -2 during winter
>satyrs +2 spring
etc

I'm also thinking of scrapping the simultaneous turn idea, in favor of randomized turn.
>>
>>1594196
>I did come up with some game mechanics, the idea would be to divide the game into four seasons, each season being a turn, but different factions might receive roll bonuses during different seasons, e.g.
Sounds promising, can't wait to see how it'll turn out when actually implemented!

Kino webm, btw.
>>
File: 533232.png (91 KB, 244x260)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
Still working on this video, just to keep this thread afloat, I post some ideas.

So, at this point (probably V3), legions (land armies) should be accompanied by fleets, fleets work like legions, but:
>cannot advance to inland
>can convoy legion the seas and straits
>are 5 more expensive than legions

Also, I think different factions should have different cost, like Beavers could have extremely cheap ships.
I also think it might be fun if you could order other factions to buy you ships.
>>
>>1594196
>SIMPLE
>REALTIME
yeah those are not really possible together.

simplest I can think of would be like back to populous days. turn based is much easier for something simple
>>
Okay finished the history video, I will only link it here if someone asks for it.

Back to the development.

>>1597252
I'm not sure sure what you are saying here.
>>
>>1597344
forgot tripcode confirmation
>>
File: 87754.png (575 KB, 1096x645)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
So, here is road map

V1:
>Risk
>with 25 provinces
>and 7 countries

V2:
>100 provinces
>16 countries (9 revolters)
>revolter system

V3:
>fleets
>food system
>modifiers
>>
>>1595592
>>1597344
>>1597923
Link to lore video?
>>
>>1597923
Also that seems like a good plan for now, Gouda.
>>
>>1600247
Again, it is completely unrelated to this project, and I don't know why I even bought it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKCu0U5KT0

>>1600248
Now, I just have to figure out how Unity handles JSONs
>>
>>1586089
the triality of man
>>
>>1600269
Nice. Is that AI or your actual voice?
>>
>>1600837
If you can't tell, does it matter?
The weirdest thing is that the video has 40% female viewership, which is exceptionally high for a history video, and I have no idea why.
>>
>Fantasy
An archipelago of floating islands, of finite resource flows (i.e. a metal vein doesn't have 100 metal and is exhausted, but 1 per second or whatever), tiny footprints, and battles between
>>
File: coa.png (128 KB, 608x1129)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
Some feedback about these flags would be appreciated.
Obviously, they are supposed to be abstract and minimalist, but I guess the goal is that you can quickly distinguish between two faction flags without text
>>
>>1601231
I'm gonna take a wild guess it has something to do with the subject matter? Either way, that 41% ratio gave me a hearty kek.
>>
File: GUI.png (215 KB, 1920x1080)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
first draft for the GUI
>>
>>1602399
Yikes that mobile game menu better be a first draft!
>>
File: mapIMadeULTI.jpg (79 KB, 557x272)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Another idea to distinguish it from Risk, would be so-called are slots.
Pic-related is a collection of different areas and provinces.
An area is a subdivision of a province, and one of the province's areas is its capital area.
Legions and fleets move in areas, but more importantly, only its capital matters, because the capital controller gets taxes from the province if the enemy armies have occupied the rest of the province.

Players can move the province's capital to another area in order to protect it better, however, the capital area's terrain influences its economy, so moving the area's capital from plains to mountains might be more defensible but less profitable.

>>1602901
What? That's what I said.
>>
>>1603425
Hopefully this doesn't make defending extremely broken, because otherwise why bother attacking?
>>
File: cities.png (154 KB, 838x720)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
About naming the provinces, I didn't want to use English name, because I really things like "Winterfell" and "Riverun", but realize the usefulness of English toponyms.
Thus compromise is to use random prefix and English suffix, so we get names like "Gheburg", "Nofort", "Ladale". Which I believe sufficient.

I kid you not, when making a name generator for this, the first result I got was literally "Cucktown". It is like god is making fun of me.
>>
>>1581460
>Let's design a (simple) game
>anime pic
lol no
>>
If you'd appreciate it I could help out with some programming assistance and art assets. Not too much though, I'm already doing a lot of work for my own projects and I would rather not burn myself out.
>>
>>1581460
go back to /v/ tard
>>
File: 8787655.png (56 KB, 800x517)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Well, glad someone keeps this thread alive, I have been working this (mostly design and database), but decided that if nobody cares thread might as well die.

Anyhow pic related is the friend-rival system for the generals.
Every army is commanded by a general.
Each general is assigned a personality type from A to H.
Their personality determines how they feel about other generals.
Red arrows indicate rivalry and green indicates friendship.

If you have to rival generals, if you have to rival generals, they keep asking you to fire the other general, and if you ignore them long enough they will resign and move to serve another country.
Friendship between the generals is the opposite problem, if a general dies in battle, his friends will be pissed off (if they don't have other friends) and defect to another country.

The point of this system is to prevent players from thinking generals are just numbers, and humanize them. It might also prevent players from having to brilliant generals, who view themself as rivals.

>>1609477
Can you do vector/pixel art? I guess the goal is to make simple portraits for every faction.
So portrait would minotaur factions would just a bull's head.
>>
>>1609568
A generic minotaur, a faction leader minotaur or an emblem of a minotaur? I've only got vague notions of your vision for this project. Also I'll probably stick to three or four factions at first, I'm not sure how many assets per faction you'll need but you've got a pretty large amount of factions in mind.
>>
>>1609608
Well, I already made icons for every faction (see >>1601870).
I was thinking of a minotaur head to represent the characters.
It's important because the idea is that different characters might come to serve different factions, so a minotaur general might lead human armies, etc, so it would be nice to visually indicate it.
Pic-related is something I'm thinking in scale, thought ideally it would be less abstract than that.

>but you've got a pretty large amount of factions in mind.
I know, the fact that they are all different races adds some work, personally I would have just gone with all-humans, but the poll decided they must be different races
>>
File: orc-head.png (23 KB, 512x512)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>1609684
forgot pic
>>
File: minotaur@3x.png (19 KB, 396x396)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1609685
Here you are. I also got an SVG but I can't post that on 4chan.
>>
File: Four_Provinces_Flag.svg.png (146 KB, 1200x618)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>1584883
I'm surprised you didn't go with the more well-known flags from picrelated for the provinces
>>
Do you actually intend to make a game? My job is working on games and I'd like a side project if you're looking for people. I'd enjoy composing music for this. (You) me if this is serious!
>>
File: sample.png (799 KB, 877x1014)
799 KB
799 KB PNG
>>1611538
That is nice, though I wonder how we could we produce variations of this? It's minimalism, so changing it seems to be limited to its eyes.
As I tried to explain goal isn't to make a logo for factions, but static portraits for the characters.E.g. pic related.

>>1611567
I guess the point there was to highlight that it would be an alternative history, with all provinces (except Norse colonies like Dublin) having random name.

>>1611872
I do, my problem is that I have so many ideas for a dozen different games, I find it difficult to stay faithful to one project for too long because I always underestimate the time development takes, even for simple projects.
In the past collaborative projects have given me the motivation to keep going.
I appreciate music, though that might be bit early for it.
>>
>>1611913
Composing music is fun and relaxing for me, I don't mind getting a head start. Do you have any idea for what you're looking for? I could maybe try to prototype something.
>>
>>1611913
I figured you needed the icon for displaying on the map, since I hadn't seen any concepts for screens like what you just posted. I'd appreciate it if for future assets you could show the context the assets are going to be used in. As for variations, it's possible to vary on the head shape, eyes, and horns, but I think it's best to keep variations out of scope for the time being.
>>
>>1612189
I know little about music, so I don't know what I want.
Maybe something like chill, thrilling, and slow like Drum of the Deep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVrxmLcTdw
I love this track and use it as background in all my history videos.

>>1612223
Alright, customization doesn't need to be elaborate, just something to set them apart.
>>
>>1611913
1. Put it through an image to image AI generator.
2. I have read the thread, and I still don’t know what the theme is. People are talking about fantasy races, and you have stated alt-history ireland.
3. That makes sense.
4. My suggestions. We haven’t even talked about mechanics. I suggest figuring out how the game will play. To that idea, I’m going to suggest that the game be turn based. I can write a post on theoretical battle mechanics, I might later, but first, do we know if the scope of the game is grand or tactical or operational or what?
5. I’d suggest a game where armies start with a max of 1000 men/whatever, but as you and other factions grow, they get much bigger by taking over other people’s stuff/neutrals. I suggest looking at Conquest of Elysium for the idea of the expansion scheme. True fantasy 4x games where you don’t just research overpowered magic and win are too rare. Also magic should exist, but it is a weapon like any other. I think the argument for magic vs against magic is a legit one, as magic is really powerful if you don’t balance it, but I am for magic, assuming it is fair and balanced, and is not summon rocks, everyone dies.
>>
File: proav.png (728 KB, 3799x2005)
728 KB
728 KB PNG
>>1612371
>1
The issue being if we ever get this to Steam, steam ban AI-made assets.

>2
Ignore, Ireland is has nothing to do with this.
Fantasy

>4
>5
We are leaning towards a grand strategy with some 333 provinces, (pic-related), 16 playable factions, and 25 races.
I have a decent idea for the battle system, but I will lay it out in another post.
Magic aspect isn't something I have much considered, though I have played with the idea of possibly sacrificing your pops to the Demon King and receiving a demon legion in exchange. And if too many people do it, the Demon King invade the Earth. Serving as a possible final boss.
>>
File: conceptr.png (128 KB, 1077x922)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
So, here is the concept for the battle system I talked about.

Firstly, legions work a bit similarly to armies in Diplomacy and not like Risk, where one legion is composed of only one unit, and only the army can be present in one province.

But legions are not equal. As the legions have:
>appointable general
>assignable supplies
>consumable energy
Furthermore, they have levels for:
>attack
>defense
>experience

The game operates under simultaneous random turn order and every year is divided into 4 seasons, with each season providing different modifiers.
Every faction moves its armies simultaneously not knowing what others have done.
Then the commands are shuffled and executed in random order.
If an army moves into a province with the pre-existing army, a battle occurs.

The battle system works like a lottery, based on numerous factors (pic related), both legions are assigned victory tickets. One ticket is randomly drawn, deciding the winner.
If the defending legion loses, it is destroyed, if the attacking legion it has something like 50% of retreating to the province it came from.
Every surviving legion gains EXP, which increases the number of victory tickets they will gain in the future.

Every time the army moves it loses energy. Energy contributes to victory tickets, and if it runs out of energy it cannot move.
When the army doesn't move, it regains energy.

Supplies work similarly, except, they are consumed every turn, whether the army moves or not. And supplies cost money and food to prepare. Additionally, if the legion destroyed other legions, they would steal the other legion's supplies.
>>
>>1612465
How could they even tell if it’s AI? Also that’s ridiculous. There’s several games that purely use AI stuff that I own on steam.
>>
>>1612945
There is an AI image detector:
https://huggingface.co/spaces/umm-maybe/AI-image-detector
Which Valve can easily fork and auto-run it on the assets of any game.
Dunno, there is some mixed information, people /r/Steam say their games have been place don limbo due AI assets, on the other hand, VNDB lists several visual novels that are on Steam and utilize AI assets.
People on /g/ say there is this ongoing trial for some AI-used images in USA, which will determine if Valve will ban them or let them go.
>>
File: Smug_face_cropped[1].jpg (129 KB, 1648x1215)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>when you call out the faggot OP as a nogrammer in the third post of the thread and then a month later there is still no game
should've spent more time programming and less time jacking off over your mspaint map
>>
File: maps.webm (3.26 MB, 1920x1020)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB WEBM
>>1613602
In case map the map (which has 333 provinces and took 2 weeks to make), is core part of the game.
And the map is literally a vector map, so it can converted to mesh and used in Unity
>>
>>1613631
>not even randomly generated
it's an mspaint map until you make a map generator, mr. esl
>>
>>1613656
I don't see any fun in randomly generated maps.

I believe in building lore and giving life to regions.
Games that resort to randomly generated maps do so because they are devoid of substance.
This game will already have a large random factor, so the map doesn't need to be one of them.
>>
File: minotaur2@3x.png (18 KB, 396x396)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>1611913
I made a couple small variants. Three different eye shapes and two different head shapes. I'm just posting them pieced together for now.
>>
File: minotaur3@3x.png (19 KB, 396x396)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1614782
That's in total by the way.
>>
File: minotaur2@3x.png (17 KB, 396x396)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>1614782
I used the wrong white as background color here, quick fix
>>
File: gam1.png (1.34 MB, 3000x1688)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>1614782
>>1614784
>>1614786
Good to know I'm not the only one working on this.

Meanwhile, /agdg/ said the setting is too generic, so I have decided to rename them They are still fantasy races, but will be called according to the demigod who created them. Dunno if it's better or worse.

Gethalians = fish folk
Wrostish = wolf folk
Tholatians = fox folk
Davinufians = humans (monkey folk)
Azincians = minotaurs (cattle folk)
Osadians = bear men
Nurisans = rat folk
Luenracians = satyrs (goat folk)
Dostrians = hippo men
Raihans = bird people
Yusians = orcs (boar people)
Aridumians = cheetah men
Trisanish = frog folk
Fiavigians = serpantine folk
Nemebuenians = beetle folk
Shirusians = lizard men
>>
>>1615685
Fake names are always hard to sound good because they all feel like they come from the same language.
Going for simpler faction names would be a better idea because there are too many; some should be merged as well so it doesn't go feature creep.
>Seamen
>Canines (merge foxes, wolves and bears, too much overlap)
>Apes
>Ungulates (Minotaurs + Satyrs)
>Ratmen
>Hippos
>Eagles
>Orcs
>Felines
>Reptiles (merge them too)
>Amphibians
>>
>>1614786
>>1614784
>>1614782
>>1611913
>>1611538
>>1609685
>>1611567
>>1609684
Have you ever considered doing more realistic heraldry for your fantasy races? Because while these are fine as placeholders, I certainly would like to see some more detail and effort put into the final version of the game.
>>
File: demo.png (549 KB, 4310x1824)
549 KB
549 KB PNG
>>1615690
Maybe I'm too self-pleased, but I'm quite happy with names like "Aridumians".
Regardless, what races these represent is still open, I just want there to be 25.
Pic related is demographic.

>>1615814
not sure what you mean with "realistic heraldry"
many people complain that medieval heraldry has no place in fantasy world, which is why the minimalist direction I have chosen leans towards more Japanese style
>>
>>1613663
you could just say that it's above your skill level. no need to make up excuses
>>
>>1615872
>which is why the minimalist direction I have chosen leans towards more Japanese style
Ah, so it's weebshit. On top of the furries. About to complete that webcomic bingo trifecta there, my guy.
>>
Are you still working on this game? It seems to me like you need help.
>>
File: map22.png (2.47 MB, 3906x3498)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB PNG
>>1622289
Props for saving this from the brink of getting archived

I'm having a sort of crisis of faith, seem that everything is negative, so I don't know why to continue this path.
I decide to make this >>>/qst/5862484 thread to flesh out some details of the world, and maybe inspire myself.
>>
>>1615685
Having every entity be a different 'government' looks really silly.
Think about real places where almost every entity in an area was the same.
>>
>>1622311
That's critique I keep hearing, though I just don't understand why people have a problem with it.

Sure, medieval Europe mostly had kings and few republics and empire, but that's one continent with the same theology.
That is of the map of the entire world, so you think 16 states would be significantly different?
>>
>>1622296
This was mentioned in another thread, but I feel the best course of action would be to make a tabletop version first, to see if it plays well, then continue from there.
>>
Bumping for a friend.
>>
File: 32343434.jpg (795 KB, 1051x511)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
>>1626688
Appreciated as always.

Something I have been thinking is, is the world too big for just 16 states?
Pic related is comparison, according to QGIS the Empire itself would be 9 million km2 in size.
While even smaller faction would +1 milion km2.
>>
>>1626708
tbf, the "world" map always felt more like one continent to me. Like who knows? Maybe there's a New World on the other side of the planet. Unless you're going full Terry Pratchett and setting the whole thing on the back of a flying turtle, that is.
>>
>>1622322
All across the world, Kingdom, Kingdom, Kingdom, Empire, republic splattered in. Kingdom of Siam, Kingdom of England, Roman Empire, Aztec Empire, Chinese Empire.
But you don't say government forms that often even, especially for current states.
You say Australia, France, United States.

Giving them all different 'government types' doesn't mean anything, two kingdoms can function wildly differently. It just looks ridiculously wrong.
>>
>>1626864
And those are all anglinized stuff fit made to fit a pattern.
Aztec Empire didn't have an emperor, it was just an alliance of three cities, so it would only be an empire the way USA is an empire.

The difference between Roman Emperors and Chinese Emperors was that Roman imperator was essentially a hereditary dictator while Chinese huangi literally meant "heavenly sovereign", indicating god-emperor status.

So, in theory you could translate Romanum Imperium as "Roman Order" (because imperium can be translated as order) ruled by "commander" (literally imperator).
>>
>>1628061
>Aztec Empire didn't have an emperor, it was just an alliance of three cities, so it would only be an empire the way USA is an empire
I feel like the HRE would be a more apt comparison here.
>>
>>1628061
>And those are all anglinized stuff fit made to fit a pattern.
Correct that's how naming works.
>>
>>1628125
To clarify, different systems do not actually get called different things in official names or common names.
Unless you're an amateur world builder.
>>
>>1581460
Over the course of the quest I'm running, I have considered that maybe this game would work better on a smaller scale, and if it was story-driven maybe something between Suzerain and King of the Dragon Pass
>>
>>1628343
So you're scrapping the factions? Sounds kinda lame. I was hoping we'd stick with the GSG angle, but I suppose if that's what you want to do...
>>
>two months later
>no game
daily reminder that notch coded Breaking the Tower in a weekend.
>>
>>1631043
My man operates on Yandev time, apparently.
>>
>>1630964
I have no idea, honestly, I'd think it would be interesting to make a different type of spin-off games that focus on different areas.
For example, pic related to Faybinia, the land of octopods (Faybinish), which was invaded by the Gethals (fishmen).
So, it might interesting to make a smaller-scale game about that conflict. Where 3 Gethal colonies are trying to colonize the continent from the 12 Faybinian kingdoms.
Faybinish kingdom would be large, sparsely populated, and poorly fighters. While Gethals would get monthly reinforcements every turn.
So, the idea of this game is to build infrastructure and unify the continent (which is the size of Greenland) though diplomacy or conquest.
But I dunno if the continent itself is interesting enough.

>>1631043
Yep, slow
>>
File: faybinia.jpg (3.03 MB, 3374x2000)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
>>1634242
forgot pic
>>
>>1622322
>That's critique I keep hearing, though I just don't understand why people have a problem with it.
Because it's basically "baby's first worldbuilding mistake" (or maybe second. Inverse river basins are probably first) and it's incredibly jarring. Taking your map as an example you've given every single country a unique form of government, even some that don't make sense (what the fuck is a palanate? Were you trying to call it palatinate?).

It makes sense for there to be a few different government structures (but there aren't really that many you can have, they're either going to be some form of monarchy, some form of republic, or some form of dictatorship, which is arguably just a non-hereditary monarchy), but it makes less sense for them to be included in the name on the map (usually this is reserved for empires or countries that have split apart, ie DPRK vs ROK, PRC vs ROC) and when you just have EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY having a unique form of government listed as its name it makes it look like you did it on purpose rather than incidentally, which is fucking retarded.

>>1628061
>And those are all anglinized stuff fit made to fit a pattern.
Exactly. You should be trying to condense the variety of government type names, not expanding them. The countries might have differences in their government form, but their names should be more similar. If you have a country A that's called Niggerlicia, and a country B that's called Glowniggeria, and Niggerlicia has a parliamentary monarchy with a figurehead king whereas Glowniggeria has a constitutional monarchy with an executive king, you wouldn't call them Parliamentary Monarchy of Niggerlicia and Constitutional Monarchy of Glowniggeria, you'd call them Kingdom of Niggerlicia and Kingdom of Glowniggeria, or better yet, just Niggerlicia and Glowniggeria, at least when labelling them on a map.
>>
>>1634242
>I'd think it would be interesting to make a different type of spin-off games that focus on different areas
Please don't let scope creep take hold, stuff like this kills games. I think starting with a simple concept and refining it until it's ready is the top priority. Worry about spinoffs and the like until AFTER your main project is already out in the wild. Something, something, putting the cart before your horse, etc.
>>
>>1634258
this sums it up better than I could, it's retardedly amateur looking
>>
>>>/qst/
>>
File: faybinia.png (844 KB, 3515x2083)
844 KB
844 KB PNG
>>1634243
Trying to prevent factions from being the same size is surprisingly hard, maybe I can add some micro tribes or republic, or I could just merge 4 northern kingdoms into one giant kingdom that owns half the continent...
>>
>>1634908
Is this the just main island, or are we cutting out the archipelago now?
>>
File: 34343.jpg (773 KB, 3000x1688)
773 KB
773 KB JPG
>>1635282
The archipelago? If this were a localized game, this would be the main island.
>>
>>1634258
>(what the fuck is a palanate? Were you trying to call it palatinate?).
Yes, but yeah even Palatinate might have been a poor choice.
Maybe i'm regressing in worldbuilding, but I want to challenge myself, which the reason why I tried to make them feel unique.

>>1634414
See, I think the scaling down might simplify the concept.
>>
>192 posts
>still no game
tick tock, the thread is about to die
you'd better have a game playable by then... or else
>>
>>1635885
You know he could always just move to /vg/ right?
>>
>>1636930
yeah, if he bumps his thread every hour
but then he'd get even less of his "game" done
>>
>>1636930
>>1635885
>>1637567
It has been +2 months. Game jammers shit out a playable game in a weekend. He said simple.
>>
File: nerstop.jpg (2.69 MB, 3524x3384)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
Okay, pic related is the result of like 16 man-hours of work.
>making a new map
>conlanging
>lore

I feel that I lost confidence in the old map because the setting wasn't interesting to anyone. I dunno if the new one is any more interesting, but it's to me.
>>
>>1638992
Neat, but it took you 16 hours to make a single png? kek.
>>
File: state_tree.png (2.69 MB, 5510x3604)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB PNG
>>1639909
Yes, it does take surprising amount of time, that's 140 shires.

Anyhow pic related is a "family tree of counties" explaining how all 15 countries came to be.
I might steal some idea from EU4 and make some of the fallen countries formable/releasable.
>>
Interesting thread
>>
don't die on me
>>
another week
no game
>>
File: 44554.png (554 KB, 1596x1143)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
>>1641279
this was my reply to this thread

I'm not sure why people bump this thread, I want to believe people believe in this project, but it is most likely people shitting on me. Regardless, I'm going to share some lore I set in almost 1000 years before the game, when the Continent of Faybinia was unified under a single empire.

>Little is known about Emperor Mabulec's reign; he is primarily known for his succession. Initially, Mabulec designated his brother, Prince Nalotez, as his heir, but on his deathbed, he changed his mind, and his son, Mestyrid the Wise, succeeded him.

>Nalotez did not accept being cheated out of the throne and began a rebellion in the West, which would last four years. In the year 42, Nalotez approached the Capital Province with a small army, but Mestyrid defeated him with a much larger force in the Battle of Courage. Despite winning, Mestyrid took heavy casualties, yet still decided to pursue Nalotez, hoping to drive him out of the region of Zoezand.

>The nephew and uncle met in a second battle, the Battle of Shock. In this battle, Mestyrid outnumbered his uncle twofold, yet Nalotez showcased his military excellence by annihilating half of Mestyrid's force and winning the day. Going against the council of his advisors and withdrawing to the capital and regrouping, Mestyrid faced his uncle again only a month later, in the Battle of Pride.

>The battle would be the least bloody battle of the war, and both sides had the same number of troops. Ultimately, both sides suffered slight casualties, and Mestyrid was forced to withdraw from Zoezand. In the winter of 42, Nalotez, who had gained popularity due to his recent victories, didn't want to waste the momentum and invaded the capital province.
>>
Please don't die
>>
>>1654791
>but it is most likely people shitting on me
Yes, and for good reason. Some dumbass pretending that drawing a map in MSPaint is gameplay but is in reality hoping to attract the attention of a programmer to magically leap in and make a game for him is nothing new and in fact there's even another thread of this type right now (lol)
, and which I've just now noticed you also tried your luck in by hawking your map.
>>
shit game shit thread shit OP
>>
Where is the fucking game
>>
>>1663795
At this point, even if I released something, would anyone even try it? Probably not.
>>
>>1664431
I would. I just assumed it died. Sorry if you got shit on. Some people will always do that when you post on the internet.
>>
File: parties.png (20 KB, 460x216)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>1664438
I feel like I'm being gaslit, but anyhow, I guess I should be sincere about the state of this project.

As I have said, I'm quite busy with other projects and trying to finish my CS degree, but this project progressing somewhat.
Despite "MS paint" complaints, this is a vector map, so it's a game board in that regard is ready. Besides, that I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with with mechanics, and because Unity has given me much suffering, I decided to start working text-UI-based version first, and later implement GUI via Unity.

Not that anyone cares, but I want to talk about the governor/revolter system I'm currently implementing. It might be confusing to understand, but it is a core element.

So the player, appoints governors to govern their provinces.
Each governor has the following attributes:
>statecraft (ranging from 1 to 6)
>warcraft (ranging from 1 to 6)
>wage demand
>popularity
They also have: morale-variable

Basically, the player decides each governor's wage separately, and if their wage is less than the wage demand, their morale begins to drop, and vice versa.
If the morale drops to 0, they will either resign or revolt. These wage demands are expensive, and in some cases might even exceed the province's income.

Anyhow, each province has following attributes:
>buildings castles, temples, and cities
>three party powers: reformers, loyalists, and conservatives
>economy (to determine income)
>order phase

Order phase is a representation of how stable the province, it has 3 phases:
>Serenity, in which everything is fine
>Rioting, in which the province loses 50% of its income and some buildings might get destroyed
>Insurrection, in which 100% of income is lost, and armies are attacked

Reformers try to break the province free and cause unrest
Loyalists try to work with the governor to improve the economy
Conservative try to retain the status quo

1/2
>>
>>1664471
So, the way governance works is tied to the governor's skill, order phase, and party powers.

So, during the Serene phase, all three parties will roll, and the highest roller receives party power.
If the loyalists receive 3 powers, the province's economy is increased by 1, and powers are reset
If the reformers receive 3 powers, the phase changes to Rioting
If the conservatives receive 3 powers, powers are reset

These roles are modified by different stuff, e.g. the conservatives will always roll d12 but get a bonus from castles, while loyalist roll is based on the governor's statecraft and temples, and rioters roll d6 but get a bonus from the economy and cities

Meanwhile, Rioting and Insurrection phases have different systems that I won't mention here.

But either way, the design is to make it so the player has choices regarding what they want to do with their province, if it's a dirt-poor province, it might not be worth anything and you can just send a talentless governor to remain the status quo, but if you want to enrich a province you must hire expensive and killed the governor and hope he can improve the economy.

Again no idea how fun or practical that will be. It's pretty abstract, but I think it has potential... I hope it doesn't have too much RNG value, while the rolls themself are random, player does have the power to impact them though the choice of the governor and the buildings.

2/2
>>
Wtf this thread is still going? I want to believe there's a game here, don't let me down anon.
>>
>>1592020
Could have a distinct Crow(and crow likes) and Parrot (and parrot likes) Avian realms
>>
Where's the game? All I see is some dude, presumably OP, drawing maps for no reason.
>>
>>1664471
so do you have any working code or prototypes? from the thread it appears all you've done is just adding maps, lore and scope creep.
you gotta keep in mind every new idea is adding weeks of implementation and debugging.
Small dev teams usually have a better chance of success when implementing the core gameplay bits and using placeholder assets, then extending them over time
>>
>>1665231
This.
Where's his two-province proof-of-concept? Surely someone on the last semester of his CS degree would have basic project management hammered into his skull by now?
>>
>>1664471
Finish school as a priority. I don't care about graphics so long as I can distinguish things. It sounds cool as a multiplayer game. I think you have a lot to flesh out about how the economy and wages would work tho.
>>
>>1665285
>I don't care about graphics so long as I can distinguish things
That's called having a distinct artstyle, which I have yet to see Gouda flesh out yet. Dead game and dead thread unless he drops a playable build for us soon.
>>
File: 4344333.png (167 KB, 440x324)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
>>1664511
People keep bumping it to taunt me.

>>1665185
Yeah, I don't know I care about lore. I guess that is the worldbuilder's disease.

>>1665231
Like I said goal is TUI for now, Unity later, I have some 500 lines, which I wrote primary concerned in database load and governance, probably need another 500 to get basic gameplay. I had more code in the past, but I scrapped it because I found it too messy.

>>1665278
>Surely someone on the last semester of his CS degree would have basic project management hammered into his skull by now?
I'm the sort of guy who begins working on homework 2 hours before the deadline. I hate myself, I struggle to work on stuff with no deadlines, and I'm really bad at imposing deadlines on myself. If this was a uni project, I would been able to put something together already.

>>1665285
What part of this sounds cool?

Speaking of the economy, I'm thinking of complicating it, again this is probably an insane crackpot idea, but...

Imagine each province has "farms" and "pastures".
Pasture generates a fixed amount of food every turn, but their are capped to 20. While farms produce between 0 and 2× its value and have no cap.
Idea being that pastures are reliable and powerful early game, while farms are less reliable but have the potential to produce more food.

Anyhow, after every turn, you get food, what do you do with food? Well, you can sell it to different regions, price would be based on the region's population and local wealth.
Food will prevent population from dying and abundant food will help it increase. So, if you sell your food exclusively to rich regions, the poorer regions will depopulate.
>>
>>1668839
this is semantics but I think you could have a distinct you hard to read artstyle
>>1669039
it sounds cool as a multiplayer european board game styled thing with governors and trying to stay in power tho i think you intended single player and it's normal at that I guess. if you just want to flesh out a normal strategy game as best you can I recommend it and do that in my spare time, but maybe consider a !Not Holy Roman Empire or China or America or something, and people play as politicians/governors within the system.
>>
>>1669059
distinct yet hard to read*
>>
>>1669039
>People keep bumping it to taunt me
I'm bumping out of interest of seeing it done. Post footage or a working test build for us to download, or I stop bumping it for you. Then you can peddle your vaporware blogposts elsewhere. I want results, not excuses, I can't give you feedback for something that doesn't exist, and as far as I can see, we have have no way of knowing if it does.
>>
I'm sorry if that sounds mean to you, but I have to be real with you. I've seen namefag devs on other boards post more substantial updates than you, and i'm starting to lose faith in this project.
>>
>>1669039
You’re in the weeds, man. Coming from another developer who has shot himself in the foot many times detouring even *after* building playable prototypes, you really need to start with literally a playable version of Risk and not worry about anything else until you have that.
>>
>>1669193
maybe so
>>1669083
It's fine, I know this is a farce.
>>1669079
I was thinking that at some point, the best I can do is shorterm is provide something very limited to text-based gameplay with a reference map.
>>
>>1669452
>the best I can do is shorterm is provide something very limited
Well? I'm waiting. At least show us something, anything. Showing us anything would be an improvement at this point.
>>
OFFICIAL "GAMES DESIGNED OR SHILLED ON /VST/" POWER RANKINGS

1. That RTS where no two units share the same art style
2. Cantata

MASSIVE POWER GAP

9001. This steaming pile of never-was
>>
We've seen hundreds of threads like this on other boards, right down to the playbook of drawing maps in lieu of anything actually productive. Let's not pretend anything is getting done.
>>
>>1669039
I think >>1669872 is the one who was taunting you, Gouda.
>>
>>1670036
No, this is my first time.
>>
>>1669039
What controls how much food farms produce? Is it one and done progress through technology? Does it rise and lower depending on the season(Meaning you'd need to have food stockpiled or you risk starvation during winter) Do you plan to incorporate fishing in your game? (Because in world building, it's usually the coasts that usually have access to cheap food, whereas deep inland is where famines shake the country, although there were cases like in Irish famine, where nation fishermen didn't have the boats to handle the rough waters, the British hold the rigths to fishing in most of the Irish sea, and there was salt shortage in the country, so the fish couldn't even be preserved to be sold inland).
>>
File: 443222.png (57 KB, 817x684)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>>1670215
This is a more crackpot theory that puts the cart before the horse, but I will indulge in developing this idea further.

Imagine every province has variables for "soil quality", "forestation", and "max forestation"
Soil quality would be a static value from 1 to 10, a measure of fertile the soil is
Forestation would be a dynamic value from 0 to max forestation, a measure of how much of the province is covered in trees.
Max forestation would be a derived value, representing how much space there is for trees.

Forestation isn't necessarily bad as it gives defensive modifiers and increases food from hunting/gathering, but it increases every year by 5 (until it reaches the cap).
The player has to spend money to cut down to forest.

Farms produce random number of food between 0 and 2 × their value.
But their numbers are determined by deforestation, soil quality, and culture's farm level.
With this formula:
>culture's farm level × soil quality x (deforestation × 0.01) = potential of farms

So, the way players can develop farms is multiplayer.
Firstly, the player must but cut down enough so that the province is a potential farms.
And once it has potential for farms, its governor must convince the province's loyalists to build a farm there.

>Does it rise and lower depending on the season
Think this system is already too complicated without seasonal variance.
>>
>>1670392
Because I want you to stop talking about development, and start actually developing it and giving us updates on progress, here's what you should do. Write all this stuff down, either in Notepad or Excel Spreadsheet, and sort all of this stuff by complexity/feasibility into a chronogical roadmap for yourself. And anytime you get a new idea, just add it to the roadmap. It doesn't matter if you end up not liking that idea later, you can burn that bridge when you come to it. It'll keep you organized and focus your time and effort on the priorities that need to be taken care of first. I'm not one of those other anons that mocks you or wants to see you fail, but you REALLY need to get you shit together, dude.
>>
Like seriously, write this shit down and see if you like it or not. As for a basic playable build, I was thinking a basic regions and nodes sort of setup in Godot (because Unity sux now, lol) and then you can expand on these sorts of ideas once you've got that up and running. Every region should have a central node (basically a town or city) and nodes can be connected together by basic infrastructure like roads or trade routes. That might be a bit much compared to the other anon's Risk proposal, but I think it's worth a shot. (personally I think testing ideas on pen and paper first before coding them into your game is the way to go in the long run, but hey what do I know?)
>>
>>1670668
Really struggling with design documents and roadmaps, because I keep changing my mind, so it would be constantly changing.
But I suppose I could try to give updates a chance.

>>1670676
>because Unity sux now, lol)
Because pricing thing that only affects games that make at least 200K USD? I don't see why should I care my game would be lucky I make 10 USD.
>>
>>1670703
>because I keep changing my mind, so it would be constantly changing.
That's fine, and kind of the point, really. Just put your new ideas and changes further down the road and work on what needs to be done now, and you'll be fine.
>>
>esl retard spends almost four months to make a 48-hour game jam game
daily reminder that this thread started in OCTOBER of 2023.
he's not a fucking programmer as he claims. the most he ever did was to write fizzbuzz for comp sci 101
>>
>>1670821
>It's (you) again
I don't think I was asking for your opinion, samefag.
>>
>>1670823
>design documents
>roadmaps
it's a fucking
Game
jam
game
You don't make DESIGN DOCUMENTS (lol) for a game jam
>>
>>1670966
>game jam game
You realize he wants to add a fuckton of features, no? Not something you can pull in 48 hours. I do agree he needs to release SOMETHING into the wild.
>>
>>1670392
>>1670703
Anon, you started the thread with the premise of a simple game, stop adding features. Just make something really basic that will run, then you can work stuff onto that. You shouldn't even have a design document for now.
>>
>>1671212
That's what I've BEEN telling him, just make a roadmap and put his other ideas aside for the time being, and just put out a playable test build already. I doesn't need to be complicated, just a basic world map with some actual systems attached to test out ideas.
>>
>>1671777
Trips of truth
Dev here, you CANNOT RELEASE A GAME if you change your mind all the time lmao
>>
Worked on it for 2 hours today, and most of that was dealing with compiler issues. Rivetting.

It did make me wonder about culture and religion.
With 140 provinces, think there should be three culture groups and corresponding religions to them.
And 9 cultures think that might be just fitting for the size.
The religions correspond to the three ancient empires mentioned here >>1641279

What I'm doing is trying to make the Kingdom of Goubaf playable with just 4 provinces.
>>
>>1670392
>>1670392
Cool, thanks for explaining it, although I'd think that people would slowly deforest provinces automatically unless you stop them from doing so. I guess it depends on the culture.
>>1672046
>Worked on it for 2 hours today, and most of that was dealing with compiler issues. Rivetting
I know some of that pain. It's good to have a spare "everything compiles" version, when you're too tired to finish one feature, but would like to experiment on another. (Just police yourself to actually finish stuff) This way you'r not stuck in a rut of wanting to add something somewhere, but not being able to because you'd have to finish fighting with the compiler on your last change.
>>
File: 05.png (121 KB, 1908x666)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
After another 2 hours, now we are displaying basic TUI.

Still figuring it what I want to do with cultures, other than tie tech to it. Think it would be cool to tie revolt/assimilation chances based on them.
So, the more spread out the culture is the more acceptable it is of foreign occupiers, versus if the culture is reduced to just a couple of provinces, they would be hard to assimilate and constantly riot against foreign governors. Forcing the player either, to station many legions there or possibly create a vassal state.

The next step is mapping out the distance in relation, using A*.
>>
>>1672924
Since your game is gonna have multiple furry races in it, are you gonna go with race=culture, meaning that a place culture would be permament unles genocide/relocation involved, or will there be like a language and customs difference, because then you could have same culture but unique racial forces.
>>
>>1672943
While the world itself has 25 races, the current plan is just to cover the island continent of Faybinia (as seen here >>1635468)
And Faybinia only has two races.
The Faybinians (octopods), and invading Gethals from the West (fishmen).
I haven't decided if I want to separate race and culture, culture groups might serve most needs.
>>
File: 02.png (172 KB, 1901x991)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
Some 3 hours were spent, dealing with trying to find optimal pathfinding, think it was decent also began to work on the governor system.

No gameplay, but I like to think this is some progress.

My primary road map for now would basic governance system. Which would work like this.
>1. Your court has randomly generated characters with different skills and demands
>2. You appoint these courtesies to govern your provinces, so you can get tax revenue from the provinces
>3. Every turn is based on their skill governance might be successful, and they might even improve economy of the province, but it can also go south and cause riot
>4. you sell estates to the characters, and build buildings in provinces
>5. You can recruit armies in your province and move them to assist governors

That would be phase 1.
>>
>>1672956
Ah so like that guy who made Chaos Galaxy,
he made https://store.steampowered.com/app/943810/Chaos_Sector/
Chaos Sector first, that was about like one regional war, and then
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1184840/Chaos_Galaxy/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1537910/Chaos_Galaxy_2/
Chaos Galaxy 1 and 2
That's a good idea, let's you check out mechanics, reuse assets. Paradox did it with Sengoku and CK2
>>
>>1673701
Are you setting coding things up in a way that allows saving and loading of set states, or do you hate yourself?
>>
>>1676071
yes

>>1676069
Those do seem interesting, but I probably don't have the time to check them out.

Anyhow, I came up with a win condition and ranking system, it might be a bit gay, so I need opinions.

Every country has rank from empire -> kingdom -> principality -> duchy
There are items called the "Faybinian Grace" that mostly determine it...
Basically, the demigod Faybian created NINE chrysoberyls, and gave them to his son, the first emperor of the Continent.
After a thousand years of fighting these gemstones have been split among the different states.

These gems are considered sacred and their holder the representation of Faybian (who is worshipped as a god).
To be a king, you have to own one of Faybinian's Grace, to qualify as emperor you have to own 3. And if you are able to obtain all nine, you are the undisputed master of the Continent and the successor of Faybian.
Therefore, while there might be any number of principalities, only nine states can be kingdoms, and only 3 empires can exist at the same time.

There are two ways to obtain these them, either by conquest or by buying them (they have high prices and AI will only sell them when in heavy debt).

Below the king are the ranks of principality and duchy.
Every revolter begins as a duchy, to become a principality, the duchy must obtain a "Princely Charter" from a kingdom or an empire. Granting such a charter lowers the legitimacy of its grantor, but they ask ask money for it.

I'm still not sure how significant the ranks should be beyond the legitimacy. But think limiting buildings might make sense,
e.g. you can only build palaces if you are a kingdom, temples if you are a principality.
>>
File: ambitions.png (72 KB, 630x500)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
Created itch.io page: https://on-strategy.itch.io/ambitions-demise
Not sure why, just anything to keep me motivated.
>>
>>1678409
What in tf is that title, Gouda? Hopefully you end up changing that at some point, because you GOTTA pick a better name than THAT, surely.
>>
>>1678695
It isn't set on stone, but it's the title I'm leaning towards.
The previous titles were:
>Seldom Shatter
>Selfdom Sought Demise
>Rightly Guided-Empire

The first one might be a bit too strange.
The second one is too long according to/AFMG/, though I do like the abbreviation, "SSD".
The third one strong link to the Rashidid Caliphate, which might be misleading.

I like the word "demise", not so much "ambition".
So, perhaps I should go with "Domain's Demise" or "Ambition & Demise".
>>
>>1678887
Were these randomly generated names? They sound like randomly generated names.
>>
>>1678887
How about just Demesne? Its an archaic spelling of Domain.
>>
>>1678904
No, I just have a particular way I want to name things. Try to find a line between too generic and too strange.
>>1678905
I want to avoid one-word titles, because can mixed up.
>>
>>1678912
come think, maybe:
>Ambition & Demise: Fragile Realms
Would be the best.
>>
>>1678912
>I want to avoid one-word titles, because can mixed up
But why? Some of the best game titles have been one word, like Halo, DOOM, Portal, or ULTRAKILL! You need something memorable that tells the player everything they need to know about the game just from looking at it, that they aren't just going to skip over on GOG or Itch.
>>
File: 2nd.png (265 KB, 630x500)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>1679208
how about this?
>>
>>1679214
I like the other anon's suggestion earlier, but you can do whatever you want, just know that most of these titles suck and say nothing specific about your game.

As shown in videos like this:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=127lXN77dj8
the art of finding a good title for your game is incredibly difficult, but I really like Demense a lot.

Also on the subject of video how-to's, might as well include these:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6-i75wDIBE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8L5WHgc950
to scratch that Graphic Designer itch, hope any of this helps!
>>
>>1676288
Anything stopping you from saying "screw the grace and charter" and winning as a duchy?
(I'm asking, because if you hardcode it so the AI view on you depends on your rank, and nothing forces a player to upgrade their rank, the game can get screwed fast, but if something DOES insta-force the player to upgrade their rank, it will probably be very annoying and complained about RP-wise)
Buildings are tricky, do you ruin already build ones, or limit their efficiency to the top of the held rank, or do you just limit building them? Whilie there is a reason that having a giant ballroom and Court in a duchy wouldn't give the same benefits as in a kingdom, but there's no reason mines, cities, ports and cathedrals should work any different RP-wise (You can RP Cathedrals, as not recognizing the authority of the government, but you can't really do that with peasants)
>>1678912
When I saw >>1679214 the first thought in my mind was "Sturdy Fragile Kingdoms" and it stuck in my mind. So adding up the things you mentioned
>"Sturdy Fragile Kingdoms: Faybian's demise"
if you'd like to make more games outside of Faybian but in the same vein, or maybe
>"Sturdy Fragile Kingdoms: Courtier's demise"
if you want to emphasize the whole court mechanics in the title
(Not trying to convince you really, just yelling ideas so you'll think up something you like)

By the by, I just noticed that in >>1673701
Statecraft "s" and Warcraft " " is inconsistent
>>
>>1680446
>Anything stopping you from saying "screw the grace and charter" and winning as a duchy?
I guess you could ignore the Grace Gems (think that's a better name name the Fabian's Grace), but they are the win condition, so you won't "win" without them. Also, if AI is able to acquire them, you lose.
Though, you probably won't be able to ignore them, if you just conquer, you will eventually end up conquering a kingdom of an empire that has them, and thus acquire their Grace Gems.

>I'm asking, because if you hardcode it so the AI view on you depends on your rank,
So, the idea the Grace Gems is supposed to serve as: 1) victory condition, 2) stabilize countries 3) server as balance.

Still ironing this out, but ideally, the Grace Gems and the rank would serve as a soft cap to expansion. Like if a duchy conquers a third of the Continent, it would quickly collapse without legitimacy from the Gems and rank.
Another factor is that while Grace Gems produce legitimacy, they also cause people to envy you, thus they act as "aggressive expansion", and the more Gems you own, the more likely other nations will attack you and break alliances with you.
Also, think it would be fun the have "endgame boss", once you acquire 6 Gems, more Gethals would sail from West to prevent from acquiring the remaining.

> if something DOES insta-force the player to upgrade their rank
That's the idea, if you obtain a Gem, if you automatically become a kingd, if you lose your only Gem you are auto-demoted to a duchy.

I feel confident about the idea of Grace Gems, as so much stuff can be done with them. You could even have many different ways of acquiring them like sending a spy to steal them.
>>
>>1680446
I feel confident about the idea of Grace Gems, as so much stuff can be done with them. You could even have many different ways of acquiring them like sending a spy to steal them.

>Buildings are tricky, do you ruin already build ones, or limit their efficiency to the top of the held rank, or do you just limit building them
Think the only limit would be construction, so you could conquer provinces that have buildings you cannot build, but they would work normally.

>>"Sturdy Fragile Kingdoms: Courtier's demise"
I feel kingdoms, empires, and realms are overdone. Also, I have been advised to avoid subtitles like the plague.

>Statecraft "s" and Warcraft " " is inconsistent
good point
>>
>>1680493
Are grace gems like a place locked, or like an item, because you're talking about them as an item, but if only way to forcibly (i.e through war mechanic, I'm not counting minigames) take away someone's gem is fully conquering them, you'll end up in a situation where the player already "won" the strategy game, but neither the game nor the AI knows it yet, a lot(The Civ problem).
>>1680495
Subtitles make your game more searchable, and while they can irk a poet or songwriter looking at them for the first time, in the end it will be the audience that will choose how to remember the name of your game, a longer title gives them more options (I say looking at modern isekai naming convention, where people shorten them to something memorable)
>I feel kingdoms, empires, and realms are overdone
I feel demise sounds edgy outside of a postapocalyptic game. If you want something shorter, and are confident about the gem mechanic, something like "Gemgrace" or "Jewellord"?
>>
>>1680595
>Are grace gems like a place locked, or like an item,
They exist in the nation's capital.
When you capture a nation's capital, you seize their treasury and Gems. Country can move their capital, even during war, but it isn't free.
So, in theory the nation can keep moving their capital to protect their Gems.

Come to think of Steam has 3 games that contain Fragile, one of them being space strategy game called "Fragile Existence", so if I would go with "Fragile Domains", it might get mixed.

So, maybe the subtitle is worth it, how about: "Fragile Domains: The Appetence"
>>
>>1680653
>appetence
Now that's a word I've never before read in my life, and with how much time I'm no lifing reading various books/posts/articles and science papers, that's a feat for something that isn't a newly created slang.

In the system you described gems will slowly congregate towards one owner, which I assume is the point. When you seize a Nation treasury, does that mean they can't pay they troops no more? Are they auto-fired, or does the nation go in debt? (National troops historically could tolerate a few months without paycheck, but mercenaries tend to be less understanding/cowed)Also it can lead to situation where a tiny country snipes the empire status, and I assume that next capital is chosen in the moment of previous being occupied, otherwise you can have a nation with a capital occupied, also conquer another nation capital, and get gems that exist "nowhere". if they're autofired, I assume that after taking the capital, you can just march into all the other nation territory with minimal trouble before they retrain/rehire their military.
>>
>>1680595
>"Gemgrace" or "Jewellord"?
You're banned from naming anything, ever.
>>
File: Pac-Man_Logo.png (155 KB, 1024x242)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>1682495
Hey, those are the kind of two-into-one-word names that seem popular, and are the polar opposite of the long-winded ;: names that OP said that he wants to avoid. I dare you to make a one word name for a game that doesn't sound retarded out of context.
>>
>>1682497
Gemlord

See how much better it rolls off the tongue?
>>
>>1682491
>Now that's a word I've never before read in my life
It's neat word: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/appetence
I guess the benefit of its rarity, it could easily be found on Google.

>In the system you described gems will slowly congregate towards one owner
I guess so. Thought ideally holding into too many would be challenging. Like others might try sending a spy to steal one of them from you, or you might be motivated to sell some of them t cover you debt, so you might be able to recover them later.

>When you seize a Nation treasury, does that mean they can't pay they troops no more?
Well, as a philosophy, I'm trying to lean towards prepaid model of costs. So, when you recruit an army, you are paying for their maintenance for 4 turns (1 year), after which you can renew their contract or they dispand.
So, in theory, unless your capital happens to fall the same turn the troops are going have to renew their contract, you most likely will have newly acquired funds to renew their contract.

>Are they auto-fired, or does the nation go in debt
I quite hate auto-debt in PDX games, so as part of the aforementioned prepaid design, I'm trying to eliminate all running costs, so that reaching a deficit would be impossible. Though you would still have options for taking loans, you would have to approve them.

>I assume that next capital is chosen in the moment of previous being
yes
>>
>>1682698
>Gemlord
Yeah, but it sounded to Germanic in my mind. Real words have curves.
>>1682773
So the sniping has a proper schedule. I'm probably constantly poking at the things that could be set after playtesting, so forgive me, it's just my mind always jumps to edge cases, as if somebody gave them an glowing outline, when I'm described something. Still I'm glad to hear you have most of it already thought through.
>>
File: lore.jpg (2.69 MB, 3875x5432)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
I feel I have painted myself into a corner with map-movement.

The initial idea would be that you would only be able move army on province every turn. But I now realize the map is so large it would be troublesome, I need come up with a way to allow crossing of multiple provinces. Which bit troublesome, essentially if I decide to stick with simultaneous turns.

So, the working idea is to give armies "movement points" based on the army's experience and culture's movement tech.
While the province's have "movement cost" based on terrain and roads.

The southern nations should start with premade roads, while the northern nations have few roads, but they make up for it by starting with high-movement tech.
This means, that if a southern nation invades the north, they will move extremely slowly, while, if the northern nations invade the south they will move even faster than on their own turf.
>>
File: demo.webm (746 KB, 1200x524)
746 KB
746 KB WEBM
This webm is almost nothing, just wanting to show the current state.
>>
>>1684902
Kek.
>>
File: demo.webm (629 KB, 1200x524)
629 KB
629 KB WEBM
>>1684904
this goddam site allows invalid formats, let's try again
>>
>>1684906
so is there still gonna be an interactive map, or are you going for a text parser?
>>
>>1684923
As I have said, I'm making it work on TUI temporarily, and then convert it to GUI with map.
>>
>>1683891
You could make movement along the rivers faster(and slower across them), if the map is granular enough to allow that, in place of premade roads all over map.
>>
>>1689282
>in place of premade roads all over map
Why stop there? Roads should be the fastest form of travel, but they should be built directly created by the player or be a direct consequence of trade routes with other regions.
>>
make a game where I fuck u're mom
>>
>>1689583
Yeah, but I'm saying that if he found an issue with movement speed of armies, then having natural ways may be more lore friendly than starting them with premade ones. God knows how many times I wished to reorganize the railway system in HOI4 at game start, but it's just not justifiable when the subpar one is already there (And regions where you coould build a fun, strategic supply system usually have a tenth of the civs, meaning that you'll probably only really build it after the game's already over).
To keeps things short, basically the less stuff is already on the board in the beginning, the more possibilities you leave for players to set things up in their prefered ways, although it's 100% cool to have lore differences, they shouldn't be the be-all and end-all, and having the stuff outside the player controlled systems to account for lore differencesis nailing two birds with one stone.
>>
File: concept.png (329 KB, 3374x2000)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
>>1689282
I ended up just redrawing the map around river valleys, to allow more wastelands. Rivers themself would be crossable with a penalty.

This redrawing itself took like 6h, I don't even know if I should go with it, I like this narrow corridor would allow more interesting operations.
>>
>>1691492
Which "narrow corridor" exactly? There are a lot of them there. Also probably, you can always edit the map later, but you should feel the province "size" vide-versa your army movement and economic granularity, to the point that they either feel fine for you, or will feel fine adfter some in-game development (Forcing the players to focus on close stuff at first) I honestly feel like walking along a coast or along a river would give you at least "tech-graded" speed-ups different in nature that the road-building makes, but those rivers and coasts may be different that the ones I imagine.
It would be fun if you MSpainted where do you imagine the start-of-game roads and bridges would be, to tell you how connected the regions will actually feel like.
Also here's a question, do you calculate distance as a 1-whole-province distance with road and army modifiers, or do you do algebraic distance from "center" of one province to the shared border of other province then senter again, or maybe just center-center? (That would make walking from the North-North-Eastern red province, to the golden province to the left take considerably longer than going to the golden province to the right unless the center of the leftmost province is right at the river's end. for edxample)
>>
>>1691510
Map aside, I also want to tell you that graphics can always be upgraded, and programmer's art has enough of charm to it (As minecraft proved) if gameplay is fine, so the sole fact that you have plan of distinctive icons, (Instead of something like in King of the castle, which while charming, mostly only differentiates stuff by color) is already say more than most early stage utilitarian strategy games opt for (no icons, no nothing, you'll have your NATo symbols/ literally names, and like them)
>>
File: 54443.png (88 KB, 629x591)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>1691510
>Which "narrow corridor" exactly? There are a lot of them there.
I find all of them interesting.

>Also here's a question
I have only implemented BFS search, because I still don't have a database for coordinates.
But the idea is to use A*, once I get the database.
>>
>>1691553
Cool beans, as long as it only changes the calculated distance (and it hopefully only calculates each possible neighbour distance and bakes it into a separate map file with what is essentialy a weighted graph instead of a coordinate map)
If you want to preserve the defensiveness of a one tile width passage, you can implement a zone-of-control kind of thing, for example:
When an enemy army enters friendly territory, any army within 1 tile of territory it enters can (doesn't have to) "intercept" it, as if it was (also, if there's already a friendly army) staying in that tile(i.e as a defender)
This way you can have one army defending three tile wide borders without splitting, or staying atile inland, where it can't be surprise attacked, but still can defend.
Of course if you're into that sort of gameplay, where turn can be interrupted.
>>
>>1692359
>as long as it only changes the calculated distance
I ate a sentence there, I meant that if changing the method only changes the calculated distance, that is then used for other stuff, methods, comparisions and calculations in game, by changing the method, everything else will only need to work on updated distances, without the need to check if each scripted AI method of moving or choosing where to move works well with new search method.
>>
File: output2.png (526 KB, 3374x2000)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
>>1691510
>It would be fun if you MSpainted where do you imagine the start-of-game roads and bridges would be, to tell you how connected the regions will actually feel like.
>>
>>1691553
>>1697375
Are we getting close to a somewhat playable build yet, Gouda?
>>
>>1698162
I hope so, but that defined what is playable, still no real gameplay.
Regardless, I'm beginning to understand Unity and realize what I want the game to be about.

People shit on me from having this thread for 140 days, but this all has essentially been planning and pre-production.

Also, I'm getting cold feed about name "Fragile Domains", that space game "Fragile Existence" has begun to bother me... So, I might just change it to either:
"Domains Frail" or "Frailty of Realms".
>>
File: esl thread.gif (11 KB, 800x500)
11 KB
11 KB GIF
>>1698344
>Also, I'm getting cold feed about name "Fragile Domains", that space game "Fragile Existence" has begun to bother me... So, I might just change it to either:
>"Domains Frail" or "Frailty of Realms".
>>
>>1698344
>Also, I'm getting cold feed about name
This again? Just pick Demense, it rolls off the tongue much nicer, and I'm just sick of the constant namewankery at this point.
>>
>>1699900
can't that has already been taken
https://store.steampowered.com/app/333100/Demesne/
I guess I could go with old French version, "Demaine"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/demaine#Old_French
>>
>>1700113
>I guess I could go with old French version, "Demaine"
Nice, I think you should go for it.
>>
>>1697375
That's cool, but I meant not in a programming "which provinces are connected" but in a lore/gameplay concern of "Where do you intend to place the starting infrastructure bonuses, of the
>The southern nations should start with premade roads, while the northern nations have few roads, but they make up for it by starting with high-movement tech.
concept you mentioned"
Also don't be afraid of repeating someone else name for a game if it's one-word two-words, unless it is a worldwide recognised game.
There were many games with same names released in different places/ times, simply because the devs of one didn't really knew/care about the other. It may be a problem if the studio that made and released the game still exists, but unless you're blatantly copying someone else game it shouldn't be an issue.
>>
File: output.webm (2.33 MB, 896x490)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB WEBM
Unity view is quit ugly, but at least I got there.
The stupidest thing is the province borders, I tried making a shader to draw them, but that didn't work.
So for the time being I tried the Risk approach of giving them randomized y-coordinate.

>>1701886
At this point I think I just go with Demaine.
Maybe I do road map at some point, but it shouldn't be a priority.
>>
>>1704576
Fucking hell that framerate, I'm suprised your poor GPU hasn't fucking melted by now (tho that depends on what kinda specs you have). Better optimize that shit in the near future, or spaghetti code will be the least of your problems.
>>
>>1704605
Think you might be inferring webm's low frame rate as lag, which was recorded at 15 fps
>>
>>1704611
I guess... Thanks for for clarifying.
>>
>>1704576
You're right that it isn't, just thought that that's something you wanted to design right now.

Maybe an outline shader would work?
>>
File: 33.webm (1.25 MB, 436x406)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB WEBM
Riveting gameplay, but this is merely a test.
But technically clicking a button is some form of gameplay.

I do wonder if I want to implement some sort of occupation mechanic to decrease border gore. It would complicate things, but might be worth it.
>>
File: 55444.webm (2.12 MB, 914x474)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB WEBM
>>1707093
>>
>>1707093
>>1709675

As long as they're connected by water, it's not bordergore, but hanseatic league. Exclaves however should die, unles some sort of diplomating cajoling exists between two states
>>
>>1710182
>Exclaves however should die, unles some sort of diplomating cajoling exists between two sta
The problem with exclaves is that if creating them hurts, it would benefit creating them.
Regardless, you can see little bordergore with the 2nd webm, because I told AI to prioritize border provinces based on how many they provinces they border.
>>
>>1710886
> it would benefit creating them
As it should, it creates a priority for AI to defend those, discourages snakes, and encourages defence in depth.
That's not an exploit, unless AI/Player isn't capable of concertrated defense. Imo, in warfare the defensive gameplay should be always slightly favored, unless something else makes defense untenable. Having undefensible stretch of land would be something that would provoke a country to very panicky offensives.
>>
>>1711246
>Having undefensible stretch of land would be something that would provoke a country to very panicky offensives
Yup, case-in-point: Pretty much any major conflict Poland has been involved in over their almost-thousand-year-history since they stopped being apart of the Kyivan Rus.
>>
File: gey.webm (2.84 MB, 950x507)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
Finally managed some borders, this is not a shader but another mesh. Also finished assigning provinces.
Next should be army management, this simulation has no real armies, countries just collect taxes and use the money to "buy" adjacent provinces.
>>
>>1711608
What are all the black areas supposed to represent again? Uncrossable borders?
>>
>>1711839
Essentially wilderness. The initial idea was to depict river valleys as province-dense areas and only have these narrow passages as seen with >>1691492
But because people complained, I reduced the black area.

Even now people don't seem happy with it, so I dunno, I could fill the areas and introduce just line-type wasteland to limit movements. It's just that I'd estimate filling the area would require 200 provinces, and implementing them would require redrawing large parts of the map, implementing code to work pre-assigned stuff, and it would probably take at least 10 hours.

Though, I'd like to put that on backlog and actually work on getting some gameplay, the thing with the map is you can tinker with it for 100 hours and still not be happy, so it's just a time-sink.
>>
>>1711875
I feel like having different biomes and terrain types might work best, with various penalties and benefits for each. Mountains and rivers can act as a natural barriers between provinces by restricting or slowing enemy and player troop movements, unless you have specialized roads or boats to expedite the process.
>>
>>1711875
Having scattered impassable / unclaimable terrain everywhere makes no sense, that's why people are complaining. Mountains can work (those would be ranges, not scattered points) and deserts can work (those would be large regions). Of course, impassable terrain for the sake of impassable terrain is kind of silly.
>>
>>1711985
>Of course, impassable terrain for the sake of impassable terrain is kind of silly
Only makes sense for hard map borders desu.
>>
File: 44a.png (451 KB, 2264x977)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
Experimented, if I were to rework, it would be related. Again, would it even be an improvement?
I only did like 5% of the map, it took like 3 hours.

>>1712004
Something people don't get is that roads are not in most places, and armies need roads to move. And not just some dirt track farmers use, there was a reason why Romans were obsessed with roads.
In PDX I hate how every province is connected to like 6 other provinces, making trapping impossible, it depicts this unrealistic connectivity. It's the same reason why I despise hex-based games.
>>
>>1712256
>Something people don't get is that roads are not in most places, and armies need roads to move. And not just some dirt track farmers use, there was a reason why Romans were obsessed with roads.
So give the player money and resources to build roads with. Gives you something to do besides map painting.
>>
>>1712256
>In PDX I hate how every province is connected to like 6 other provinces, making trapping impossible, it depicts this unrealistic connectivity. It's the same reason why I despise hex-based games.
That's dumb as shit. First of all it's not unrealistic (you could have a speed penalty for not having major roads - having the terrain be impassable is retarded unless it's really shitty mountain terrain or similar) and second of all because it absolutely does not and has never made trapping armies in Paradox games impossible; encirclement is like, literally the core of how you play Hearts of Iron and is still prominent in games like Vicky 2, which don't model supply lines but do let you destroy an encircled enemy that has nowhere to retreat to instead of just forcing a retreat.
>>
File: 454545.png (465 KB, 2177x903)
465 KB
465 KB PNG
>>1713196
It comes down to the scale of the province size. If your province is all 100 000 km2, it is fair to assume there are some passages in every adjacent province.
But when you are depicting more granular stuff, there are just a finite number of passages between regions.
Even in modern Europe areas outside of highways tend to limited mobility to the point you have to take extended detours.
In the medieval setting, this is even more evident. If an army of 20,000 tried to march an unpaved road for 100 kilometers, they would face many more issues than slowness, their carts would constantly break down, etc. To the point where it would be impossible.
If you look at the movements of medieval armies, you see they follow highways because it's their only realistic option.
Of course, raiding bands of hundred men is a completely different matter, as they are highly mobile and can literally go everywhere.

With this game, provinces are designed to be around 10 000 km2, so some impassable areas only make sense.
With pic-related, you see that wasteland has been replaced with impassable lines, which should be a decent compromise.
>>
>>1713267
Impassable lines just because there isn't a road is actually retarded, though. A movement / supply penalty makes sense - not being able to go through at all does not.
>>
>>1713330
well, with the setup the impassable terrain aligns with mountain ranges
>>
>>1713341
If it's as small a scale as you say, there won't really be impassable mountain ranges scattered everywhere.
>>
>>1713369
The Continent of Faybinia is the size of Greenland, so... But with small scale I meant provinces themselves are 10 0000 km2.
>>
>>1713381
>The Continent of Faybinia is the size of Greenland, so...
Ok now look at an elevation map of Earth and look at the mountain ranges and their overall size.
>>
>>1714005
I kek'd.
>>
>>1714005
Look certain regions like the Balkans, Anatolia, Iran, Armenia, that are just full of endless mountain ranges.
>>
>>1714427
New ask yourself, retard, can you go through the Balkans? Through Anatolia? Iran? Armenia? Oh that's right you can. Mountain ranges that you actually can't bring an army through are a minority, they shouldn't be everywhere.
>>
>>1714478
there is plenty of parts of those you cannot
For example, Mark Anhtony literally needed Armenian king's guide to march through Armenia, because so many mountains
>>
File: bigot.png (233 KB, 3374x2000)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
Should be finished with redrawing raster, though the terrain needs a lot more time.
The province count has gone up from 460 to 660 like I estimated.
I also some islands and lakes.
>>
>>1715782
Map seems kinda small imo. Hard to believe it's the size of Greenland. France, maybe.
>>
File: mnt.jpg (3.29 MB, 3515x2083)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
>>1716453
It's distance from west to east is like 2000 km, equivalent to Brittany to Hungary, so it isn't that much larger than France

Either way, I decided to add some lakes, then I will continue vectorization, and then back to assigning ids, then I can start coding again.
>>
>>1582336
faggy post desu you'd be fired fast
>>
>>1717506
Honestly not the kind of map I'd go with if I was making this instead. I'd rather something that had a fair few biomes and terrain types to make things more interesting. I actually had a few ideas for what mine would look like but I'd have to work on that in my own time. A shame we don't have dedicated dev threads like /v/ /vg/ or /vrpg/ do, I guess we're too niche and autistic for that sort of thing.
>>
>>1717967
>autistic
We have some autism here but not of the good kind.
>>
File: output.webm (850 KB, 1080x1920)
850 KB
850 KB WEBM
>>1717967
I guess goal is to add bit more diversity like making southern regions more French-climate and the northern bit more like Scotland.
But that's pretty much the limit of the localized approach, initial plan was to cover the whole world >>1615685

And I don't really get what would diversity of climate add in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>1717967
>A shame we don't have dedicated dev threads like /v/ /vg/ or /vrpg/ do, I guess we're too niche and autistic for that sort of thing.
Not OP but I am working on a grand strategy game. Thing is, apart from rendering, most everything I've been doing so far is just preparing the structures for the eventual simulation, but you can't like, watch factories produce goods and employ pops yet (getting close, though). So there's not really anything good to show for now (just a blank tile map) and I can't contribute to keeping dev threads alive.
>>
File: 20230429.png (1.06 MB, 1009x957)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>A shame we don't have dedicated dev threads like /v/ /vg/ or /vrpg/ do
On that general topic.

I'm a 3d artist if anyone wants help with a project I'm willing to lend a hand, basic contributions mainly but if someone wants a full collaberation I'm happy to hear that out as well.

No real engine experience, did stuff for source and ARMA mods before moving to STLs for 3d printing, so don't expect me to know wtf happens when the shit leaves blender.
Can post examples if anyone is interested.
>>
File: morpheus.gif (2.34 MB, 400x200)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB GIF
>>1718608
>>
File: RandomExamples.png (647 KB, 1080x1080)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
>>1718731
It's mainly a hobby so nothing particularly impressive.
>>
File: ani0001-0055.webm (90 KB, 1920x1080)
90 KB
90 KB WEBM
>>1718943
Cool stuff anon, I'm trying to get into 3D myself.
>>
>>1718943
The revolver and that Cuirassier/Landsknect armor are actually kinda dope tho.
>>
File: output.webm (3.56 MB, 960x540)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB WEBM
>>1581460
About finished with vectorization, I did make this lore video for fun, I guess the goal is to make intro video for all factions explain their history, because nobody will read walls of text
>>
File: comp.png (750 KB, 3374x2000)
750 KB
750 KB PNG
>>1581460
Think that once this read reaches the bump limit we can general game dev thread.

Regardless pic related can be compared to >>1697375
>>
>>1717506
Question about that sea/bay in Condreg, would the water move west or east, because, it may be just a gut feeling, but I think there should be some kind of sandbar forming, at least from the fastalaf direction.
>>
File: maz.png (2.49 MB, 2166x1074)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
>>1727443
You mean between the islands and mainland?
>>
>>1727570
So how'd you resolve your z-fighting / z offset issue? Painter's, or really small offset?
>>
>>1727907
Micro offset, just seemed much easier. Ultimately, z-fighting is a symptom, not the problem. Materials are just not supposed to overlap.
>>
Gouda-san, where are you?!! Necrobumping for a reply.
>>
File: kingdom.jpg (928 KB, 884x649)
928 KB
928 KB JPG
>>1732348
I wanted to see if anyone would care to bump this, glad someone did.

Either way, I have been doing 3 things within last week.

1) I have been working on sea tiles, 156 sea zones and it's like 75% done
2) I have been trying to work out what I want to army movement. Basically, I intended the game to have a simultaneous turn that would be divided into subturns. So, it's like if armies Diplomacy would be able to move multiple provinces phase. The problem with this I don't know what should happen if multiple enemy armies encounter each other.
3) I began writing a novelization of what happened some 100 years ago before the game start: https://pastebin.com/zBcxZhmj
This is mostly for my amusement, but it's also just presenting lore more entertainingly, so the potential player could experience this world. Of course, I don't expect anyone to read the novelization, but it's there nonetheless
>>
>>1732378
So when should we expect a playable prototype to be out then? Also I'm not particularly a fan of Simul-turns, but you do you ig.
>>
File: seas.png (161 KB, 3400x2100)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
Sea zones should be finished now.
>>1733270
I'm extremely bad at setting deadlines. This spring happens to be extremely busy for me, but hopefully I can whip something out during the summer break.
>>
>>1735853
Why do you need sea zones anyways? They're not countries are they? Do the fish people live there?
>>
>>1740175
How do you handle naval control and pathfinding, nigger?
>>
File: masa.png (639 KB, 2421x1500)
639 KB
639 KB PNG
>>1735853
just some place to have sea battles

>>1740176
Just a working idea, this might just be too complicated for the players to understand, but...

The gist is to find a movement system between Total War's free movement and PDX's abstracted movement.
Imagine this:

>each province is connected to another by one path
>The length of the path is based on pixel distance
>armies/fleets have two modes, "stationed" and "moving"

When unit is within the center of the province, they are "stationed" there, and can be given orders.
When unit is given the order to move somewhere, they are "moving", and can't be given new orders until they reach their destination
moving army exists between two provinces, and therefore if your army is moving from A to B, and the enemy arrives to A from C, there won't be a battle

So, battle occurs two ways:
>if moving unit meets a stationed unit, in which case stationed unit gets a defensive bonus
>if two unit moving in opposite directions meet en route, in which case neither gets a bonus

In theory, this would make avoiding battle easy. But you never know how frustrating things might be without testing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.