[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HoI4-Operations-Roadmap.png (3.92 MB, 1920x1080)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB PNG
the War Effort Patches continues....
>>
>Bulgaria and Hungary join the allies
>Germany invades them
>it somehow triggers a peace conference with only Bulgaria and Hungary (the rest of the allies are still alive
>Peace conference ends with Germany annexing Italy, who is its own ally
???
>>
we need a containment board for visual novels.
>>
>>1736823
vanilla hoi4 isn't a vn
>>
>>1736820
>play meme focuses on
>get memed on
>>
>>1737693
Historical focuses get boring after a while because shit's always the same. Fighting the Germans over Europe is the best part of the game but right now things are so ally-skewed that it's hardly a fight. Playing as axis is either trivial because the UK is so easy to cheese, or mind-numbing because invading north america is cancer and the continent sucks to fight in.
>>
How do I get AI faction members to fuck off from my airports? They're keep constantly shuffling planes around, overstuffing whatever airports I'm operating at. It's especially frustrating in Asia, where shitty airport placement and shitty airzones mean you don't have many to choose from. When Romania decides to stuff 3000 1936 fighters into the only airport in Vietnam you're just fucked out of controlling the airzone.
>>
>>1736751
Fuck Paradox for thinking KX-tier meme content qualifies for enjoyable history-themed games. If they aren't going to take themselves seriously they don't deserve to be taken seriously by anyone. Fuck your Argentina world conquest as Hitler, fuck your Byzantine Empire vs Mongol Empire fanfiction, you niggers can ride my dick.
>>
>>1739010
die tranny
>>
>>1739010
found the guy who plays Puerto Rico in Kaiserreich.
>this gameplay so lit brah
>I just read 10,000 words by an unemployed Discord addicted communist with gender identity issues
>I love strategy games!
>>
File: 007.jpg (118 KB, 1169x1242)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1736751
I suck dick at this game even after 150 hours. How do I get better?
>>
File: 1714081738580179.jpg (166 KB, 894x866)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>If they aren't going to take themselves seriously they don't deserve to be taken seriously by anyone
>>
File: 1498161687582.jpg (64 KB, 500x680)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
every DLC is one step forward and two backwards and at this point jannies should just pin torrent links on the top of the page because nobody should buy this pile of shit
>>
>>1739189
Well what specifically do you suck at? If you suck at macro, you can watch any of a million youtube videos to get an idea of how to macro more efficiently so your industry doesn't suck and you have enough material. If you suck at combat, it could be because your macro sucks, or because your division templates suck, or because you're not paying enough attention to supply/terrain, etc. Generally speaking the easiest way to succeed at combat is to just macro well, build up a large air force with good fighter and CAS designs, and let airpower win your battles for you.
>>
Not enough hoi4 on the front page. Let's change that
>>
>1739078
>1739290
>t. parajew shills

>1739113
>i love when liberia can shit out 300 divisions and conquer germany!!!! it's so heckin realistic and heckin valid, it reflects my gender identity!!!!
>>
>>1737765
You can actually win the game as Germany, without ever going into war, just by building a lot of planes. You can also help Japan win over the allies, with coups and volunteers. It's more fun than to micromanage an other eastern front campaign all over again.
>>
>>1738579
are the airports in your controlled province or did you just build them in ally controlled territory? If you control the province your planes should have priority on the airport.
>>
File: 1713130115706171.png (137 KB, 565x396)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
A world war two strategy game should focus on world war two, how it was fought, and the underlying strategy rather than restoring Byzantium; that's arcadey shit for autistic children.
>>
>>1740565
I control the provinces. Faction nembers keep overstacking active airports, often by as much as 1k excess planes. Since there's no notification, i don't realize my mission efficiency plummeted until I check and see I've got yellow air and lost 100 fighters.
>>
Is it still possible to do a "peaceful Hitler" run
>>
>>1736751
Oh wow, more Allies wank.
>>
>>1740675
how?
China can't puppet Japan no more while being a subject
>>
>>1741020
Answer the question tranny
>>
>>1740641
Never was because Churchill is a warmonger.
>>
>>1736751
Honestly the Stellaris approach of custodian team is better way of developing a game than this mess
>>
The only DLCs I use at this point are the ones Expert AI requires to function.
>>
File: 20240420204947_1.jpg (709 KB, 2560x1440)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
In something as close to a guerrilla campaign as you can get, I capitulated Chiang and bullied the Japanese AI at the peace conference to get most of China, except I had nowhere near enough divisions to cover a border that huge. So I ended up only posting troops directly on the border on the northeast frontier and the Qingdao exclave, while the rest of my army was posted in the interior, where they could hold a line as many tiles long as I had divisions to spare. As I pumped out more divisions, not training them at all because it's China who cares about losses, I could move the frontline forward, and the Japanese are so stretched at that point they never properly advanced on me. I ended up risking making a gap in my line to group up some divisions to crush the Japanese in Shandong, then swing them south to stop the troops advancing through the gap in the line. At that point I had enough troops that I just starting running circles around them and my massive troops buildup was unnecessary. My third army was just a coastal defence force and my fourth was a reserve force I never ended up using.
>>
The fact I have to use the toolpack to make the game functional means it's a shit game. It makes it work, and it's fun that way, but I should need what is essentially a cheat mod to stop stupid bullshit from happening that shouldn't be happening, like Bulgaria turning communist 6 months after invading the USSR, yet remaining in the Axis, or Spain joining Japan the minute the Axis capitulate.
>>
>try out the monarchist britain path
>do the focus that lets me trigger rebellions in the dominions to retake them
>the rebels snap-join the axis hour 1 of rebelling
>the civil wars are now fused into WW2
>despite fighting all the battles, occupying all the territory and capitulating the dominions to win all the civil wars, unrelated countries vacuum up all the war participation by attritioning in mountains on the other side of the globe
>the focus gives me claims on dominion territory to make it easier to take them in peace conferences
>but the game automatically merging the civil wars into WW2 bugs these claims and clears them
>can't even afford to give the dominions their core territory back
>end up with stupid shit like "Soviet Australia," "Mexican South Africa" and "French Canada"
Hate this fucking game, bros.
>>
>The British when Austria democratically decide to join the Reich
>>
>>1740381
>oh yes I love it when I'm an irrelevant minor and I watch the war from the sidelines!
>it's just like when I goon to my anime waifu getting BLACKED by Tyrone!
>I don't even need to do anything or even play the game, I just click on the pretty foocuses and goon!
>>
>>1741331
Perfidious Albion
>>
Haven't even started to learn III...
>>
I tried playing this game for the first time in years and there are way too many things to micromanage. Industrial concern alerts always popping up to give me shitty little bonuses I don't care about, now instead of unlocking specific tanks, ships, and planes you have to unlock hulls and then customize them. What was wrong with unlocking historical models and putting them into production right away like you did when the game launched? Naval and Air upgrades taking up entire pages in the research tab etc. Fuck all of that
>>
>>1742506
They gonna bring back the templates, some mods already do.
I think this was partially an oversight on their end, the armor/navy hud probably broke their shit.
This is also made even more clear when you check some old focuses which gave you templates, they are hella buggy now
>>
>1741397
>i love playing minors!!!! it's so heckin immersive!!!!!1!!! it reminds me that Black Lives Matter and that i need to check my privilege my fellow troonx xzisters! fuck those eurocentric bigots who don't want to hear black intersectional african-american stories!1!!
kys shill
>>
>>1742506
In practice the designers just ensure the AI is always using terrible equipment that handicaps them so your planes can have a 10 to 1 kill ratio. They never bothered to balance the designers so you just minmax abd enjoy a free advantage over the AI.
If you don't want to engage with it, there are historical "presets" you can use instead that suck ss badly as ai designs.
>>
>>1741294
wow almost like parajew is a shit company making shit games for meme value now
>>
File: burg.jpg (70 KB, 665x422)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>Peru attacks Chile in 1939 for some fucking reason
>pop the US faction focus
>Ecuador and Brazil join and invade Peru
>I sink their entire navy in one battle, losing absolutely nothing
>send a thousand-plane air force to bomb them into oblivion
>send Patton to land in Lima
>literally right before my troops actually land Peru peaces out, ceding territory to Ecuador
>my only losses are 14 obsolete biplanes
>I'm now boosting democracy to eventually coup them
I love being a super power
>>
>>1742738
>No! You need to play as the Soviet Union every time, and do exactly what based Stalin did to defeat the transphobic Nazi chudcels!
>no you can't reform Austria-Hungary or ethnically cleanse the Balkans as Bulgaria, that's le heckin problematic!
>You have to play the game the exact same way every time just like how I learned to be a woman by imitating the underage female characters in my favorite anime!
>>
>1743906
Retarded nigger, the argument was that countries like Liberia or Luxembourg should not be able to do world conquests and shit out millions of divisions that would in any realistic scenario completely crash their economy, not that no one should play minor countries that had a military potential and ACTUALLY PARTICIPATED IN WORLD WAR II, but in a manner which produces realistic outcomes not creates Bulgarian Australia or some gay bullshit like that. Kill yourself, tranny
>>
Why is belgian steel in the flemish region instead of walloon? Umm paradox?
>>
Bourbon France needs a massive rework, this is the third time i'm trying and carlist spain never happen
>>
>>1744813
France generally needs a rework honestly. For what a strong player they could be, they have a bunch of fucking useless 70 day focuses that give them like "+2 building slots" or "+5% communism". NA paths suck except Napoleon since Orleanist is just discount-democratic and Bourbon just has 2 focuses for Spain and literally nothing else. Fascist is gay because it either sucks up to German or requires the fucking stars to align so you can get Italy, Spain, and Portugal all fascist in your alliance. France has some good stuff but holy fuck a rework would be outstanding.
>>
>1743947
nigger
i bought the game, i should do whatever i wanted
>>
>1744870
>no actual retort to "this game is poorly designed", resorts to "umm ackshyually i paid for the game so it should be whatever the fuck i want"
i accept your surrender
>>
>>1741294
Guess Patton was wrong when he said no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
>>
>>1741294
French Canada is best Canada.
>>
>>1736751
Is there a take over faction leader console command?
>>
Are there any good vanilla plus/realism mods? I've been playing World Ablaze which is okay. Darkest Hour looked promising but their update keeps getting delayed.
>>
>>1737765
Best is to change a few focuses on the world map instead of letting them all random
>>
>>1741294
Why were you at war with axis anyway
>>
>>1745971
I wasn't. The war became an absolute cluster fuck when the rebel imperialists joined the axis, so when I won the civil war and the commonwealth faction surrendered, it considered the French Alliance and Comintern, who had never fought any of the Commonwealth countries, to have contributed 90% of the war score against the commonwealth civil war by fighting the Axis in the balkans and attritioning in the Urals, even though the Axis still existed and wasn't part of the conference.
>>
>>1741294
>He did the descisions banking on the AI being sensible instead of just using war goals to annex them and form the Imperial Federation

What were you thinking lmao
>>
>>1745905
Hearts of Oak
>>
>form the USA's faction to intervene in Peru
>can't join the Allies now
So, what, am I gonna have to launch my own parallel offensive to go after Hitler, like by invading Spain or something? It's kind of ridiculous I can form a separate, ideologically identical faction and can't merge it.
>>
Why was the other fresh Hoi4 vanilla thread from yesterday deleted? Tranny jannies can't handle the game being shat on in the first few most visible posts? There are threads still around that have not been bumped for 4 days, yet that fresh thread from yesterday is no longer around. I did remember some tranny tier abhorrent post being posted there, with an abhorrent post as in flexing on AI Peru because they are "fascists", that was probably a tranny janny, and when he was most likely shat on too, he deleted the thread? Or did tranny finance and esg bullshit pays to have threads removed, when it's specified how they make a game worse? That thread is not even in the short archive here, must have included something hard hitting.
>>
>>1748524
Autism
>>
Suggest a fun playthrough in vanilla HoI as one of the majors
>>
>>1748951
Join the allies as fascist Japan
>>
>>1748951
Playing as a major nation in "Hearts of Iron IV" offers a wealth of strategic options and exciting alternate history scenarios. Here's a fun and challenging playthrough idea using Germany, focusing on a twist to the usual World War II outcome:

Scenario: "Democratic Germany and the European Defense Union"
Objective: Transform Germany into a democratic nation and form a defensive alliance encompassing all of Europe to counter any external threats, avoiding aggressive expansion.

Early Game (1936-1938):
Focus on Internal Politics: Begin by selecting the "Oppose Hitler" focus to stage a civil war and replace the Nazi regime with a democratic government.
Build Alliances: Start improving relations with neighboring countries, particularly France and the UK, to assure them of your new democratic intentions. Avoid remilitarizing the Rhineland until you have sufficient support from these nations to avoid penalties.
Mid Game (1939-1941):
Strengthen Your Economy and Military: While keeping a defensive stance, focus on building up your industry and military capacity. Prioritize infantry and air defense to protect your borders.
Form the European Defense Union: Use the improved diplomatic relations to form a new faction with European countries, emphasizing mutual defense and cooperation. Include smaller nations to strengthen their security and stability.
Late Game (1942-1945):
Diplomatic Maneuvering: Continue to expand your alliance, aiming to include all of Europe. Offer guarantees and military support to threatened nations to deter aggression from any direction.
Research and Innovation: Invest heavily in technology, especially in air and naval technologies, to ensure superiority in defense capabilities.
Peacekeeping Role: Intervene only when one of your allies is attacked, positioning Germany as a peacekeeper and protector rather than an aggressor.
>>
>>1748959
Why does the AI write like autistic person
>>
>>1748951
Play as the soviet union with ironman mode off, Germany, Soviet Union, Japan and Italy all set to the maximum handicap
Go down the fascist path, win the civil war, join the axis.
Now tag to the UK and play out the rest of the game as historical britain against a pan-eurasian superaxis blob.
>>
File: y9wuavq94co21.png (1.97 MB, 1359x977)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
>>1740628
go play hoi3 then
>>
haven't played since the air rework. can the AI use tanks properly or build planes that aren't shot down 10 to 1 against a player yet?
>>
>>1748951
Poland with the meme royal route that lets you core all of slavland and have infinite manpower
>>
>>1749425
As far as I know that's been essentially unchanged. You can't even tag to the AI and make good designs for it because it wiped them and switches back to the old ones immediately.
>>
>>1740628
I would argue Greece become Rome was less unlikely future than Israel being a country in 1936
>>
>>1749384
NTA, but I unironically would if I didn't have to rearrange officers and HQs for an hour every time. Pure autism.
>>
>>1749384
I used to put as much as I love oob autism in theory it's a bit of a chore.
>>
Are there any holocaust or gulag mods for HOI4?
>>
>>1749384
HOI3 is far too autistic for me
>>
How do you do a 1:1 historical playthrough of Germany? I attacked Poland and all allies declared war on me. I was trying to follow this nation focus guide
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1324609784

But I didn't have enough man power for demand sudentland or one of those and had to do 3-4 economy nation focuses and attacked Poland in 1940 instead.

What do I do with the Yugoslavia events? Don't pressure?
>>
>>1741288
>turning communist 6 months after invading the USSR, yet remaining in the Axis
If they're already at war with you, and cooperating closely with the Axis, not only would they have the same strategic reasons that Hungary and Romania hax, to stay in the Axis, there's also very likely to stay at war with you until terms can be negotiated at least (compare Russian Republic during WW1), the only case when they would immedietaly leave Axis and stop war with you is if there was a coup/civil war, which is how it is in the game.
>>
>>1748964
trained on reddit
>>
>>1750715
Civil wars don't allow a country to leave a faction or end their involvement in a war except for a few exceptionally rare and buggy cases where pdx scripted a white peace
>>
Did my first game in a while. MIOs are extremely annoying to deal with, even with queued traits, and have the usual modern paradox rpg tree design where it's only interesting until you figure out the "right" path and then it's just tedious. They should have just given each MIO type a bunch of set traits that become more powerful as they level up and apply those bonuses to anything researched with the MIO.
Also is there any reason not to use an MIO to research/produce/design? The two click UI to pick equipment and then confirm you want it MIO'd only seems "useful" for letting the player miss out on MIO bonuses by accident.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.