[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: AoE4.jpg (236 KB, 1000x1500)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
What went wrong?
>>
>boardroom full of boomers sees AoE2's resurgence among nostalgic millennials
>"let's re-imagine that game for the gen z audience"
>>
>>1742152
The irony is that the zoomers want and play AoE2. Regardless, the actual reason is that while MS is for the most part a really good publisher, big games get fucked over by the need to cater to console shitters whose controllers can't handle it. Hence dogshit automatizations are becoming normalized even in AoE2.
>>
>>1742156
Farm reseeding was already in release HD.
>>
The game is actually good, it released in a rough state in 2021 but has been fine for almost 2 years now. The only thing people even hate on anymore are the graphics.
>>
>>1742444
Give me arguments as to why it's good, better or worse than AoE 2 on important aspects, and overall (for pvp, for compstomp, for campaign)
I don't mind playing either one. Something that bothered me with AoE 2 is how samey things look across factions; never played AoE 4
>>
>>1742488
Its biggest strength lies in its civ diversity. There is a lot more asymmetry in 4 than 2, each civ feels unique to play and also has its own music which is a nice touch. 2 has way more playable civs but they all only have minor differences and 1-3 unique units.

Multiplayer is similar in both, I haven’t played 2 in years so I don’t know much about the current meta. The balance in 4 is quite good, ranked 1v1 is one of the best RTS experiences you can have right now. And of course it has team games and FFA matchmaking if you prefer to pub stomp. Most of the shitters are in 4v4 and FFA.

Can’t speak for campaigns because I’ve barely played them in either game. I’ve heard the new dlc campaign is better than the base campaign but I haven’t tried it.

Overall both 4 and 2 are some of the best RTS games on the market and it really just comes down to personal preference.
>>
File: aoe.png (635 KB, 640x777)
635 KB
635 KB PNG
>>1742095
The tired old medieval setting
>>
>>1742543
Appreciated, I just bought it with the DLC; I like the asymmetry and I didn't care much for the campaigns in 2 already. Been a while I haven't played 1v1 in RTS, but I think this game isn't too sweaty compared to others in the genre.
Feel like compstomping eventually?
Any other anons want to do pubs?
There is no pressure, and we can figure out a way convenient to everyone I'm sure (that I hope the game allows)
>>
>>1742561
the Sultans Ascend campaign missions are pretty good, the rest are fairly boring
the compstomping isn't that fun, but the PvP is pretty great
>>
>release game in horrible, unfinished state
>go on a 2 month long winter break.
>take forever to fix basic shit.

I miss my sniper range pikemen.
>>
Just played the tutorial, sound design is good; little details (group of troops making a different noise when moving together, their yelling during battle, etc)

What are each civiization like?
QRD if you can
>>
File: 20231120210221_1.jpg (735 KB, 1920x1080)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>1743720
I haven't played since the Sultans Ascend expansion, so I'm not sure how they play out
Abbadids and Ayyubids
have camel access and build a single landmark that ramps up with several researches depending on what expansion is taken
>Byzantines
Mercenary mechanic that can get unique units from other factions
>Chinese and Zhu Xi
Mixed bag of options, nest of bees are scary
>Delhi Sultanate
All research is free, but slow, so builds off of their mosques for elephants
>English
Rush archers
>French/Jean d'Arc
Rush knights
>Holy Roman Empire/Order of the Dragon
Rush MAA
>Japanese
Banner units and multi-purpose buildings
>Malians
Stealth mechanic while their build order is unique
>Mongols
Rush cavalry
>Ottomans
Can get free military units with time
>Rus
Get gold by hunting and placing hunting cabins

I'm pidgeonholed into playing Delhi because I don't understand what it's like to pay for upgrades upon immediately hitting the next age or build more than three production buildings when I can just encourage agrro with the sacred sites
>>
>>1743749
what is going on with all these boats kek
Thanks for the summary, will be useful; at the end I might go for aesthetics
That's how it was for me in Dow 2 (elite mode), played chaos because it was a peculiar vibe
>>
>>1743761
that's from the Sultans Ascend campaign, the missions have options and difficultly, unlike the normal campaign
I meant to say that I haven't played MP since the expansion
>>
I love playing 2v2 but recently I've been running into a lot of French + Zhu Xi matchups going knights + zhu ge nu + rams.
How to defend against that?
>>
>>1742543
>Its biggest strength lies in its civ diversity.
you mean the cookie cutter civ design that everyone gets the sam emaaa, spear, palading that charges. AND NO Fe team balance changes did not fixes it. you know what makes aoeo and aom better in bringin assymetric civ is the unit that are not cipy pasted and everyone has a unique abilites or atributes that nkaes them different from each other.

>The balance in 4 is quite good,
several pros already left becuas the clusterfuck balance earlier and the slow balance fix. team matches are worse than 1v1 for the amoutn of leaver and cheaters.

this game deserves to die as is a insult to the entire franchise and only compfags and e celeb mongrels care about this game
>>
>>1742095
nothing - the game is pretty popular and can stand on its own legs
>>
>>1742095
It wasn't set after 3
>>
>>1746228
wrong on all accounts anon. anything else you'd like to add before I fucking end your pathetic life for good?
>>
>>1746228
Very true on all accounts, this post summarizes it.
>>
>>1746400
actually you've got it wrong - that post was made by a retard that was accidentally given access to a computer. hopefully i've cleared things up for you anon
>>
>>1742095
It either needed to be a 'reboot' set in antiquity or go further along the pipeline in history. There's no reason for it to be set during the same time period as AoE2 because it just felt like a half assed remake of that game instead of having its own identity.
>>
>>1742553
This. Should have been 2x2 or 2: Subtitle or whatever. I'm not even mad about the blatant cash grab.
>>
>>1746410
aoe 4 fag is seething, he cant accept the true reality of this game. also YWNBW
>>
>>1746516
sorry anon - i think you're mistaken. the gentlemanly aoe4 player is correct, his game is very good - and stands on its own. the other anon however, was accidentally allowed to use the computer and has degraded the quality of this thread. hopefully I cleared the matter up for you
>>
>>1746630
>>1746410
>>1746384
shill
>>
>>1746672
true. this post was apparentely a stealth shill thread but it only proved that this game is shit
>>
>>1746424
I'll never understand why someone would care about whether it has a unique setting or not.

It'd be like demanding Crusader Kings to be set in a different epoch every title.
>>
>>1746228
>several pros already left becuas the clusterfuck balance
Pros only care about price money pools. They don't play for fun, they play for money, which is what makes them pros in the first place. If there was enough money in a game relative to the amount of people trying to get it, they'd play the most broken trash game there is, like how there were Hearthstone pros despite it being pure RNG.
Tournament inhouse rules can also just ban certain factions and tactics if they are deemed broken.
>>
>>1747185
the problem is that shit is also falling. multiples organizer already left and the money pool is getting lower and lower as few tourney are available which means less pro playing this shit. Also is NOT FUN TO WATCH mobs of unti with no distinction so theres a visual problem which is solved by doing a betetr art direction and the graph.which not only make sit bland but disable micro on melee units which the only ones that kinda do are the paladin but paladin vs paladin is boring if there no other distinction difference that makes u a better player than numbers and raids which aoe 2 solved that one with cliff bonus, aoe 3 with multiple unit choice with mercenaries and cards, aom with god powers and UU, aoeo with UU and the civ design that allow some strats posible. on that one. Aoe 4 has some of the last one but their untis p´lays the same that is lost the only thing interesting about it
>>
>>1747302
I think unit distinguishability is very good. The only units I ever get mixed up are Camel Lancers and Desert Raiders.
>>
>>1747305
>Light cavalry have long spears
>Knight line has long spears
>Some civs have very minor upgrade skin variation
>Units blend in together with one another regardless because of all the engine lights being fucked
>Units were designed to be realistic while being looked at from the front instead of top down because devs are hacks.
>>
>>1742095
Shit UI, shit PvE
>>
>>1742553
>trenches
>tunnels
>chemical warfare
>age advancing from WW1 to WW2
>research and drop nuke to kill everyone including yourself
>achievement unlocked: Scorched Earth
IV could've been kino in the right hands
>>
>>1742095
>muh historical realism
>>
I'm really sorry everyone
>>1746672
we can confirm that the retard keeps being able to access the computer. We're going to be looking into other options to stop this from happening.
>>
>>1750349
lmao the aoe4fag still seething
>>
game's dead now. Relic laid off ten billion employees after CoH3 went belly up.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.