[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Release june 2024
Actually, someone care about this game?
>>
>>1743554
Well you seem to care enough. Tell us about it, because to me it looks like a paradox clone.
>>
>>1743554
Literally never heard of this.
Are you the one interested in it, OP?
>>
>>1743554
oh look!

Another FOTM, medival EA slop!
>>
>>1743554
I do.
Empires had some solid ideas for fighting the common pitfalls of strategy games like blobbing snowballs and mindlessly repeating optimal build orders. It just needed more content and built-in tactical battles.
>>
>>1743567
not particularly, I found this soon-to-be-released game while looking for an alternative to CKII but there didn't seem to be any promotion so I was wondering if it's because this game is already deemed uninteresting and outdated or if it's for some other reason
>>
>>1743576
>Empires had some solid ideas for fighting the common pitfalls of strategy games
Any examples? This kind of stuff is always fascinating.
>>
>>1743554
how is this going to be different from FoG Medieval II?
>>
>>1743591
this is a GSG, not a tactical game
>>
>>1743595
>GSG,
It can work with FoG Medieval II
>>
>>1743554
>field of skirmishers 2
>>
the medieval period is so played out, bring on the pike & shot era
>>
>>1743576
>built in tactical battles
bro you can play the tactical battles in fog2. Infact skip empires and just play fog2
>>
>>1743554
I like the series, but I'm not good at it
>>
The naming of this series confuses me. I like Field of Glory II and the "Pike and Shot : Campaigns" one (weird name), but I never got into these ones that have the larger campaign map gameplay.
>>
>>1743554
>Actually, someone care about this game?
Yes, FoG Empires gets occasional discussion on /vst/. I'm cautiously optimistic since FoG Empires had some great ideas and was fun to play, also surprisingly non-jank for an AGEOD game. Honestly the jankiest and least well thought-out part was the FoG 2 integration, and I have doubts it will be much better for this one with regards to FoG Medieval integration
>>1743581
Just look into its "decadence" mechanics, basically if you expand mindlessly your empire will become unstable unless you find ways to manage it, usually by offsetting with culture production. I do wonder what the equivalent unique systems will be in FoG: Medieval, hopefully something thematic like decadence was.
>>
No thanks, not interested in another Thermopylae simulator.
>>
I am fucking hyped for this game. Dev seems to have added quite some depth to many of the systems, the era is cooler (more relatable countries, fewer mega blobs at start), FoG II: Medieval battle conversions will be better (supposedly & hopefully), more buildings than ever before and overall much improved over Empires.
>>
I would be interested if I didn't get filtered by the difficulty of FoG Medieval
>>
Is this another turn based battles game
>>
>>1744034
That map looks cool
>>
>>1743707
>Infact skip empires and just play fog2
While FoG2 is very fun i love to have context for my battles, even FoG2 campaign feels like skirmish after skirmish after skirmish
>>
>>1743554
I care. They are actually making it with FoG:II Medi units in mind. It's going to be, or has ever right to be, better than Empires.
>>
>>1743633
If you can't handle skirmishers that's a you problem. Cope harder.
>>
>>1743576
empires were pretty good but lack of care is easily visible
also Easter eggs are annoying
>>
is it still going to have monopoly cards as a mechanic? i thought that was too much of a gamey abstraction.
>>
>>1745241
>Easter eggs
wut
>>
>>1745243
same card-based building system yes, but now instead of reshuffle option you can spend "Authority" mana on edicts to build specific buildings
>>
>>1745458
Gallic village with top tier units in amorica, something else i forgotten
>>
>>1745465
>Gallic village with top tier units in amorica
Ok this is a based reference, i didnt even notice it when playing
>>
>>1745465
based frog devs
>>
>>1745465
That's a beautifully soulful reference
>>
>>1743554
i dont like the combat in this franchise! frankly is shite!
>>
>>1745243
>i thought that was too much of a gamey abstraction
To be perfectly clear an immortal will micromanaging every action any of its citizens take is far more gamified than the moderate abstraction of 'you can influence the direction of your settlements=choose an option from rng cards'
The card system is more and more exquisite with each assessment honestly.
Complaining about the card system is like complaining about Vic's logistics system. It's just a pleb filter.

But no iirc you can forgoe cards and queue things but it costs more - which is a fair compromise.
>>
>>1745609
>Complaining about the card system is like complaining about Vic's logistics system. It's just a pleb filter.
desu not complaing about vic systems is the real pleb filter
>>
>>1743554
I do, but I cared a lot about FoG Empires and discussion always dies within a few posts.
Looking forward to it, both with and without FoG2:M skirmishing
>>
I really like FoG2:M so I've already wishlisted this. Can't believe it's not a more popular game. What other game realistically simulates medieval battles?
>>
>>1746710
none(including fogs)
>>
>>1746087
>he can't handle traffic
Vic even simplified it for you. What more can you ask of him?
>inb4 you're confusing Vic with VIC

>>1746850
Lmao but also fuck you.
>>
>>1748077
the whole shadow empire game design is like worst ideas done ass backwards in worst possible way
its not even that they are bad(they are), they are also fucking dumb
>Lmao but also fuck you.
you know that I am right
>>
>>1748078
Nah I love a lot of what Vic does. It's raw but all it would take is someone slightly less autistic to make it excellent - like unit design. It's a bit too tedious in SE but it's a really cool idea.
When I'm fucking around I'll try to 'roll' an near perfect unit base.
>>
>>1748081
most of mechanics in SE are bloated and pointless at the same time
it have some charm and desu I don't even know how they are able to somewhat work but still you really need to have very limited tunnel vision to enjoy his game
i had soem fun when I was elarning it but when I actually get good and learn how it work it just become meh and most shortcomings became clearly visible
but well, enjoy when you still can
>>
Might try it. Slitherine always manages to surprise me with how enjoyable their games are.
That said, Empires was held back by being shackled to FoG II's lackluster combat system.
What I really wish they'd make is a sequel to Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun with more GSG elements.
>>
>>1749267
>being shackled to FoG II's lackluster combat system
Can you explain this? Empires has its own resolution system and optional integration with FoG2 was a major selling point. Also how is FoG2 lackluster?
>>
>>1749422
not him but the way how units translate from empire to II is not good

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.