[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: smac_factions.jpg (133 KB, 800x300)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
Which colony would you want to live in, /vst/?
>>
The correct answer is none of them because they're all insane in their own unique ways.
>Gaia
It's 'okay' if you're a hippie who just wants to farm or live in tune with nature, but for everyone else they operate on the basis of brownouts and rationing of all luxury goods. Ain't no fucking vidya under a green economy.
>Hive
1984, only North Koreans and CCP elites have fun here.
>University
r/atheism: the Faction
>UN
Everything wrong with the neoliberal west is exemplified by this faction with no upside.
>Spartans
Only people that peaked during basic or prison will have fun here
>Believers
I hope you really like hearing 'Jesus loves you' as if it is a profound and novel statement, because that's all this faction amounts to. Miriam is based, though.
>Morgan
Everything wrong with modern corporatism is exemplified by this faction with no upside. In 1999 this was a parody of Microsoft, in 2024 this is the norm.
>>
>>1750661
I'd be more worried about the psychic worms and the planet being alive.
>>
>>1750663
That affects everyone, though. Except for Cult of Planet, but they're Jonestown.
>>
>>1750657
Expansion counts too?
>>1750661
>Miriam is based, though.
She's technically only, because everyone else is too unhinged. Like she's the only one who asks "We can, but maybe we shouldn't," but she herself is kinda blind to the fact the planet wants to kill everyone and probably they're the last of the human race. Hence why some bit of radicalism is required.
>>
>>1750661
>>Believers
>I hope you really like hearing 'Jesus loves you' as if it is a profound and novel statement, because that's all this faction amounts to. Miriam is based, though.
Bruh, in one quote Miriam basically tells you that you are God experiencing the universe. Miriam is far more advanced than many real world theologians. It's her followers that are all Deus Vult fanatics.
>>
>>1750661
Also Dierdre is clearly the most insane as she regularly sics mind worms on civilians "and that's a good thing".
>>
>>1750657
Spartans or UN. I'm not going to explain, the benefits are obvious.
>>
>>1750657
Believers sounds like the only reasonable one. Even if you were the most atheistic man alive you'd still get to be in a relatively nice place. Like being an atheist in Utah or something like that. Maybe the Mormons there are a little forward about their religion but the place is clean and safe and orderly and the people are pleasant overall.
>>
>>1750991
lmao
>>
>>1750976
The thing about Miriam is that she's wise and thoughtful in her quotes, but the actual Miriam you interact with is a warmongering bitch. All the other leaders, even Yang, are peaceful and try to make trades and agreements when you meet them. Miriam from the start is rude, demands teach with no compensation and declares war if you turn her down a couple times
>>
>>1750976
As I said, Miriam is based but the average Believer is just your standard evangelicalist, whose understanding of theology is so shallow they may as well not believe in anything at all.
>>
>>1751213
Yang and Miriam share the same aggression.
>>
>>1751228
Miriam's problem is nobody follows her ideology, while Yang's ideology is police state that has plenty of sympathizers (in-game).
>>
>>1750657
I'd pick the Spartans if it was led by a man.
A weak woman giving orders to men that could easily rape her...it's just downright heretical.
>>
File: shut up thirdy.png (49 KB, 184x120)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>1751727
typical ESL caveman post
>>
>>1751730
I haven't been in Europe for over 1600 years tho
>>
>>1750661
UN it is
>>
>>1750657
the one with wypipo

im black btw
>>
>>1750661
>>University
>r/atheism: the Faction
Oh no! That's just as bad as the North Koreans and Hyper-capitalists. Retard. They're obviously the most based and best faction to live in, but only if you're intelligent enough to be of use, which obviously you wouldn't be.
>>
>>1751730
not to defend albanians, but non anglo europeans are basically gods compared to (you)
>>
>>1751823
Wrong. University is atheism flavored Believers, only instead of being cautious with technology they think that restricting scientific progress on ethical grounds is unconscionable. You vill sign up for the experimental cancer treatment, you vill have no legal right to sue for damages when it fucks up your liver, you vill agree with whatever the scientific expert council says at all times.
>>
>>1751939
>they think that restricting scientific progress on ethical grounds is unconscionabl
HOLY giga based. And they're absolutely right. Scientific progress itself is a great moral good, as such nothing in the name of scientific progress can ever be "unethical", unless it threatens future progress. Very true and I agree fully. You just said yourself you need to "sign up", but you can simply experiment on prisoners or dissidents instead. You don't experiment on the random population since it'd be very hard to retrieve data that way and it would be disruptive to society, and as such, future progress.
>>
File: 1402890772943.jpg (8 KB, 480x360)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1751959
Enjoy all the consequences then!
>>
>>1751968
Comfort, pleasure, discovery, happiness and a longer or immortal life? I will, thanks!
>>
>>1751987
But that's not what you get. The University is the one faction that the game itself shits on constantly. Zakharov is shown to be a fool whose inventions result in:
>an AI controlled city that murders people for vandalism
>a wormhole that steals souls
>"immortality" that leaves you as just a brain in a vat
>a brain in the vat experiment that is too successful, and the one brain that knows he is such is terminated
And then he gets fucked in the ass by the Gaians, who send mindworms to eat his brain while she and her hippies become Gods.
>>
>>1751959
>>1751987

>t r/atheism
>>
>>1750661
>>1750682
>Its 2024
>Miriam still filters retards who can't grasp that she's a parody of populists who make themselves look good by shitting on everyone else while being even more unhinged in the background
>>
>>1751990
Where do you get this from? Some retarded novels or something? Hardly "the game". What some idiotic writer forced into the story doesn't matter, what matters is the actual realistic ideas and how they would work in real life. In real life there are no soul sucking machines nor brain forms, hippies overdose at the age of 20 and scientific inventions vastly improve everyone's life.
>>
>>1752280
Pretty sure those are literal secret project texts.
>>
>>1752299
I've read most of them and I don't remember anything about Zakharov having RFK brain worms, just that he hates them. And anything can transcend, not just the Gaian hippie subhumans, Zakharov even narrates the The Voice of Planet cutscene
>>
>>1750661
Let me fix that for ya

>Gaia
>It's 'okay' if you're a hippie who likes worship Planet and like psychic worms up your ass with no recourse.
>Hope you like recycling your own family for the Greater Good.

>Hive
>1984 final destination, you VILL EAT ZE BUGS, YOU VILL WORK TIL DEATH, chink edition.

>University
>Hope you like science because you and your family have been designated as guinea pigs in the upcoming bioweapon tests for safety purposes.
>It's science I ain't gotta explain shit!

>>UN
>Everything wrong with the neoliberal west, no frontiers, unlimited immigration works; Hope you have a loicence for that m8!
>"I love democracy!" - Lal after his 10 consecutive mandate.

>Spartans
>No retreat no surrender, 100% conscription rate! Also best mil tech evah, super soldier drugs for everyone and their kids to.The DoD would be proud if they could even mimic Santiago.
>"I'm doing my part! " ~ "Service Guarantees Citizenship"

>>Believers
>I hope you really like hearing 'Jesus loves you' but remember He hates bugs. Deus Vult!
>Please report to the conclave to the lecture and mass hypnosis (+2 support)
>Cleanse! Purge! KILL!

>Morgan
>Everything wrong with modern corporatism is exemplified by this faction with no upside. In 1999 this was a parody of Microsoft, in 2024 this is the norm.
>Money can't buy any love, but it can buy your ass!
>Human experimentation just like University; But at least you get paid.
>Mercs are expensive and so is the housing market!
>>
>>1750657
>woman
>mutt
>tranny
>arab
>troon
>irish angela merkel
>nigger
Pure wokeslop. Do boomers really...
>>
>>1752448
Zaky is Russian and the captain of Unity was a white western male.
>>
File: 317.png (89 KB, 500x501)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>1750661
>Did I meme this right, guys?
>>
>>1752448
>>mutt
he's a chink?
>>
>read https://paeantosmac.wordpress.com/first-time-here/
>realize what a genius Reynolds was and want to pick up SMAC again
>spend a few hours fumbling around and get filtered by the interface again
C'est la vie.
>>
>>1750657
Clearly the UN so I can become the globohomo corpostate i despise
>>
>>1750661
>le capitalism is le bad
morgan has the best vidya by far
>>
>>1750657
> Ain't no fucking vidya under a green economy.
1: Oh no. /sarcasm. 2: Why?
>>
>>1750657
Hive.

>inb4: Why?
Because then I wouldn't be asked these stupid fucking questions.
>>
>>1755434
Story of my life. Tried to get into it multiple times but the UI always filters me
>>
University.rjnv8
>>
>>1758621
>>1755434
Best argument against all those "new bad, old good" faggots. God, that quality of life is unthinkable to play without now.
>>
>>1758621
game is playable with PRAX mod once you realize its civ2 with different skin, obviously you need to know how civ2 worked then UI kinda makes sense

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.