[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: aowp1.jpg (716 KB, 1920x1080)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
Whats /vst/ opinion on AoW Planetfall?
>>
File: Thinking trash.jpg (381 KB, 1555x2048)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>1781105
Don't know anything about it, really. Please sell me on it, anon!
>>
It's Beyond Earth but just as awful.
>>
>>1781126
Waited my whole life for an Alpha Centauri successor that wasn't shit.
I'll die before it drops, no doubt about it.
>>
>>1781132
There's this open source project that tries to remake it.
>https://github.com/afwbkbc/glsmac
I'm crossing my fingers, but there is the Vic2 open source drama so my faith in open source remakes are kinda conservative.
On the other hand, the HoMM crowd were competent, and openciv is alright so...
>>
didnt like it, hated the xcom styled combat. its like they took two things and blended them together but forgot to take the stems out
>>
>>1781105
a step down in every way from AoW3, and with shockingly bad art direction.
>>
>>1781167
AoW3 was bad, tier4 unit spam and terrible empire building
>>
>>1781126
how so?
>>
I like It
>>
it's mid. dwarves op.
>>
>>1781105
>>1781126
>>1781132
>>1781142

Literally just posted this in the SMAC thread:
>>1778871

Beyond Earth: cyclic and soulless but with a good soundtrack and trailer.

The warring factions that suffered most were Firaxis and 2K.
>>
>>1781177
Every AoW is bad except Shadow Magic.
>>
>>1782440
Shadow magic is even worse than 2
>>
>>1781105
I have 1977 hours in PF played only vs. the AI. I think it is a great game that needs the updates and expansions for full potential and remove inbalances like scout spam.

I think the blends the 4X and the wargame elements well. Empire building is not too deep like Civ and pretty straight forward and can have nuances as you try to trade sectors between colonies to help each other develop and the specialize for a certain task like being a bread basket or a production center. Every sector is useful and finding the perfect combo is usually impossible. But everything feeds into the wargame element. I love that it has alternate win conditions beside conquest but the peaceful victory is terribly long waiting for nothing and dull.

The unit mod system is excellent, found it fun and pretty much necessary to mod your units to specific battle that await them. Battles do reward preparation and even skill in low tech levels but high tech differences can make battles trivial. Combat AI is okay in small battles but rather stupid in bigger battles. Auto resolve is also tend to be stupid.

Units and tech are pretty well balanced even low tier units can have a lategame purpose thanks to mods (HURRDURR Vanguard trooper spam), hi-tier units are quite expensive and far from unbeatable they tend to fill supporting roles unless yo got some godlike combo. Heroes are very important and can make a massive difference in combat if used well, especially early game

The race + secret tech combos offer variety way to play. Some good combos are obvious but all are viable the secret techs are well balanced.
>>
>>1782924
why does this game grind my CPU so hard even when nothing is happening, is the "feature" of Triumph engine, i remember AoW3 being also pretty heavy on cpu despite being over 10 years old
>>
>>1781167
It's significantly better than AoW3 in every way except the campaign. Classic fantasy vs sci-fi-fantasy is a matter of opinion and I can see why most people would prefer the former, but in terms of gameplay PF is way better than AoW3.
>>
>>1781126
>>1782437
This game has nothing to do with Beyond Earth and is nothing like it other than being in the same genre.
>>
>>1781105
game good, mods great idea and solved a lot of problems
look bad though, a lot of ugly unappealing designs held things back
vanguard being 100% generic by the numbers spacemarinemans made them one of the least objectionable looking races
>amazons
>assembly
what were they thinking? they must have tried very hard to make such open goal concepts look so stupid
>>
I did enjoy it, graphically was a bit muted for my taste but good till.
>>
>>1781105
I liked AoW3 more. But I'm happy it exists since it's features were improved in Aow 4.
>>
>>1784560
NTA but what it has in common is having a boring and generic as fuck setting. SMAC was pure ludokino 90s hard sci-fi. I remember being dissapointed after seeing BE cover art thinking it would be hard sci-fi 00s ludokino but it was Starfield 0.1. Beyond Earth and Planetfall both try to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible and thus everything in them is boring and sanitized and generic shit you see in mobile game slop. Faux-future fashion and miniature wargaming blocky ass space soldiers, with BE leaders being created to be mostly just visual representations various ethnicities than actual political and social stances and AoW leaders being just custom characters with two more tags describing their gameplay personality.
This doesn't mean they're objectively bad games but where I can find myself powering through some games faults if I like the settng and aesthetics.
I suppose in some years time (or already) people will look back at Beyond's Earth generic artstyle and praise it as unique in the flood of Destiny's, Anthems and Apex Legends.
>>
I quite enjoyed Planetfall. It’s the only AoW I have played, though. Modding units and picking up neutrals is fun. Controlling multiple races via capture / settlement, I find too complicated. So I usually turned off settlements and played xenophobe style assimilating conquered cities.
>>
>>1782440
1 is still my favorite

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.