[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (3.91 MB, 1920x1080)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB PNG
I'm craving some "classic" RTS experience
Is Starship Troopers : Terran Command good for you? How are the DLCs?
>>
killing bugs is fun in this game but it's definitely not a classic rts
>How are the DLCs
new units are trash, new missions are trash
>>
>>1783855
>it's definitely not a classic rts
I meant classic in its form, obviously
>>
>>1783892
me too, it's not like a classic rts at all. combat is more like line warfare where units can't overlap and have to have clean lines of fire, no blobbing.
there's no resource gathering, you only get supply from objectives and sometimes exploring the map
there's also no base building as such, though there are a few pre-built fortified bases like in your pic. it's most similar to bfme 1 with building slots but most of the missions you don't have access to everything so having buildslots doesn't really make a difference, it's just an extra click to build your barracks instead of having it prebuilt for you
>>
>>1783892
You can try out act of aggression I suppose, it was presumably tring to get back to the golden age feel. Reception has been mixed at best and there's some controversy around the rework.
>>
>>1783892
ACT OF WAR
It's fairly classic in its approach, except you have prisoners.
>>
>>1783849
I played through all of the SST game and I can say that it has mechanical depth on par with the average WC3 custom map.
>>
>>1783849
>Is Starship Troopers : Terran Command good for you?
I boot it up on occasion even after beating it. It's a fun game but not a "classic" RTS.
>How are the DLCs?
Generally not worth it. The Raising Hell DLC's missions were lackluster. The best part of it is the additions it gives people making custom content. I can't speak for Urban Assault because it just came out and money's too tight at the moment. I do like the look of its additions more but that's just from a glance.

>>1784014
I will, however, second this anon's recommendation. It hit the right blend of being something different while still being a familiar RTS. It's 4 bucks on gog or just go fucking pirate it.
>>
>>1783894
>it's not like a classic rts at all.
its EXACTLY like certain singleplayer rts missions.
>>
>>1784014
>>1784372
Act of War High Treason should be the version you want.
>>
>>1783849
I heard mixed opinions about this. In the end I opted to get Infested Planet instead, another rather nice game about exterminating bugs.
>>
>>1783849
What is 'classic rts'?
For me it's having base building being a large part of the game.
>>
>>1784372
i'm downloading urban assault because of your post, looks fun and MUCH, MUCH better than raising hell. i didn't even know they had another dlc in the works
>>
>>1785091
I caved and got Urban Assault because I saw they already implemented workshop support for it and, yeah, it is so much better than Raising Hell. The new units are way more interesting and the missions are better designed, and play into what you play this game for. I haven't finished it yet and there are some questionable decisions (like bugs getting to melee Cyclones before they land if you try to use their explosive jump ability), but I'm enjoying it.

>>1784438
Funnily, Infested Planet is very similar to Terran Command and would be the game I'd say "If you enjoy this, then you'll enjoy TC."
>>
>>1783849
I've enjoyed the first three or so missions, then it was just more of the same. Got boring quickly.
>>
>>1785091
You mean Urban Onslaught? Been goggling Urban Assault for a while, only got weird crap.

>>1783849
8 Bits Armies/Hordes/Invaders?
It's so classic it's borderline meh.
>>
File: annoyed.gif (599 KB, 441x484)
599 KB
599 KB GIF
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO THE THIRD DLC MISSION

on any difficulty close to hardest i guess because MAN these turrets do NOT have the damage to hold the frontline while i move my pathetic amount of units around trying to clear nests inside the base coughing up fucking tigers at me

>try to creep one or two turrets closer to the breaches
Takes too long, bug nests regenerate almost as fast as the lone engineer squad can work, plus when the flyers come in, they keep suppressing all my non-turret firepower, so one fucking buzzer can just cripple my push

>try to leave the turrets to hold the front
Doesn't work, the next wave hits before you can empty a single bug tunnel, and by the time I can get my engineers back to rebuild and repair, the next wave is hitting

>try to rush past the bug holes with a vetted officer buffing my infantry's speed by like 60%
Doesn't work
>>
>>1786624
i'm not sure what exactly the situation you're referring to is but the other day i beat the first dlc mission and i haven't been able to bring myself to play more because the first mission was nothing but more of that same old tired puzzle
>here's a hive with three tunnels, now you have to approach it and position your troops JUST the right way so you have a 10 second window in which all tunnels are empty so you can blow it up, enjoy the juggling act
and i just wasn't up to playing 9 more missions that boil down to that exact same objective every time.
>>
>>1786682
You have a rifle squad, one of those rentacop walkers and an engineer, and a lot of materials to make like 5 turrets to hold a bridge.

Then your secondary objectives are behind you, rescuing civilians, gathering more materials etc, except all the secondary objectives are covered by one or more tunnels. Good luck!
>>
>>1786624
Focus all turrets on the bridge, there's also pretty much no reason to take the engineer away from the bridge or even care if they live or die as they're useless in a push, gain no veterancy, and you can just replace them. Leaving them there lets them act as a distraction and repair the turrets is a workable option. Take everything else to push on the side objectives, especially the supplies so you can get more troops.
>>
>>1786802
Tried three times, see previous points. Turrets just don't have the damage on the hardest difficulty, and your two pitiful units can't deal with the tigers that spawn fast enough.

How do you get more units? I've saved civvies and claimed the supply objectives, but all it did was give me more turret coins
>>
Is it worth picking up now on sale with the small discount on the new dlc or will the base game and older dlc somehow go on a deeper cut in the summer sale?
>>
Why are those guys standing in front of the gate?

>>1784413
>it's exactly like RTT SP missions in many old RTS games
You're proving him right.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.