[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240701230813_1.jpg (1.28 MB, 1920x1080)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
Build trains
talk about trains
appreciate trains

Also, how tf do I optimize this station better? It's a major bottleneck on my network but idk what I can do. It's already huge, my only idea is to try to squeeze 4 more platforms in.
>>
>>1793274
>Also, how tf do I optimize this station better?
Couple of things that might help just from that pic
>switch to carriages with less (un)loading stages
>overflows
>if flow isn't symmetrical make a couple of platforms bidirectional
>move the splits back (and joins forwards) so trains entering/exiting one platform won't slow down trains on the other
>>
>>1793274
OpenTTD is kino
Last run I tried to play it as a citybuilder focusing on growing a city instead of just making money.
>>
File: Zelensky.jpg (308 KB, 800x792)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>1793274
No
I will make planes
You cannot stop me
>>
>>1793453
>make planes
>win
where's fun in that
>>
>>1793324
well the purple and red sections back up worse.
>>
File: myet.png (230 KB, 870x684)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>1793274
I need to stop being a retard and sit down to learn how to play the game, I love looking at it but that's not enought for me
>>
>>1793812
It really isn't too bad. Start near mid/small city, bus passengers around city, move mail around city
Build rail station near a producer of wood or coal or something, build rail to where its sold, put trains on, move that shit.
Be comfy. Upgrade your hq. Improve the city where your hq is. Upgrade to new trains and busses and shit, make more. Make planes. Win game.
>>
>>1793453
i hate zoomers so much it's unreal
>>
>>1793274
i hate your station but idk if it's better or worse than my way of doing things
i try to share rail as much as possible without causing throughput issues so everything is left hand drive and my stations have trees where, when i'm feeling adventurous, some of the platforms are bidirectional
you have so much rail leading to the stations and i hate your little forks at the end it just feels so basic and inelegant there's no sense of things stacking or being streamlined
>>
>>1793843
I use all right-hand drive, they come in in opposite directions because it's an exchange station; the bottom 6 platforms serve a loop to the south, the top 6 serve a loop to the north.
>>
>>1793274
>TTD
what did xey mean by this?

also: what are the best mods for this game?
>>
>>1793953
The JGR Patch. Adds a ton of awesome features; most importantly for me automated time-tables.
>>
Anyone else just as good as LugnutSK?
>>
I can't play it anymore because I always get anxiety watching the green world turn into brown from the settlements growing like tumors.
>>
File: 1671946093533208.jpg (53 KB, 750x632)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
When I set out to build rail, I always end up with the most simple layouts: one station at source, one at destination, a rail between them, a depot perpendicular to the rail and a train on the rail. No signals, crossings, intersections or anything of that sort. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>1794610
signals let you get more than one train going. Check the source station, you will likely see lots of product piling up. This is because you don't have enough throughput to keep up with production. So you need more trains. Any time you have product waiting at a station, you are wasting time/money/station rating.

I think you will enjoy it more building something complex; there's a lot of fun problems to solve. Maybe give it a shot? It's a single-player game though, so if you're having fun, keep on keeping on.
>>
>>1794673
Wouldn't it be a better ideea to just build a double-station with each train having it's own rail in that scenario?
>>
>>1794697
That takes a ton of space, and even two trains is probably not enough. I have some routes with 15 trains. My main passenger line has like 35.
>>
I never understood how to keep production going up to ludicrous figures like some servers get to.
I read that it's increased by never letting it stockpile in the station, never letting the station go more than a day or two without a train in it, and buying the fastest train possible.

Why do slow trains exist? Oversight?
>>
>>1794713
Its fun to start out slow and cheap and crappy and work your way up to super amazing modern trains. It also provides a reason to redesign your network; sometimes junctions that work well at one speed don't work as well at another.

I prefer to play with FIRS though; its a different economy mod you can use that makes production scale differently. Primary industries have a set amount they can make, secondary and tertiary industries make as much as they can based on how many raw materials you ship in. Some industries also accept special cargoes that boost production; so like a coal mine will produce more coal if you bring it engineering supplies.
>>
>>1794713
Someones when im 100+ years into the save I like to bust out old 1800s/early 1900s vehicles (I keep all vehicles from expiring cuz expired vehicles are lame and removes options from the game) and put them in various smaller/med towns and have them bring in small profits. My current game going I have old 1930s mail trucks picking up mail between 2 towns. slow going and doesnt carry a ton but there's 7 vehicles all moving goods so it keeps ratings high and my old vehicles get some love. I also have 1 old 1880s train setup to move 3 cars of passengers and 2 cars of mail between 2 towns and than I have a few modern vehicles (with high speed) to drive back and forth so the train has more to pickup due to higher ratings
>>
>>1795286
based heritage rail anon
>>
i played the original TT and TTD when i was 7 years old, absolutely loved the music and trains

but openTTD trains is too complicated for me. i stuck to trucks.
>>
File: OpenTTD.png (1.69 MB, 1905x997)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>optimise
ishyddt
>>
>>1795345
I have a hard on for coop style networks so of course I do. Though I wish there were more complex industry replacement sets that didn't rely on logic to optimise (or if we had a proper method for train direction logic).
>>
File: NewGRFs.jpg (51 KB, 727x271)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1793953
Here's my minimal set.
Timberwolf's UK set is very posh. 'Tis a shame no one plays multiplayer with it.
Also would recommend ITL 2 for those who hate the way vanilla handles city sprawl.
Av8 for aviation and Shark/Fish for boats, obviously.
>>
>>1795345
>2-tile signal block
Is your network run exclusively on Pacers?
>>
JFServer Hokkaido 8k square map.
It's running on JGRPP 0.59 and is open to the public if anyone wants to join.
>>
File: hokkaido.png (313 KB, 1904x1079)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>1795404
but that was a picture of a hat instead of the map.
>>
File: screenshot.png (1.05 MB, 1920x1080)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>1795405
Sapporo Metro area
>>
File: ViV.jpg (570 KB, 1767x887)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
>>1794416
Well, allow me to introduce Villages is Villages by Timberwolf:
City/town growth depends on the amount of passengers and mail served. You can set it to very high values so that even a frequent rail service would not make towns grow, unless you satiate the streets with buses and mail trucks. Towns also have a population cap depending on their size at map generation, that would require you to deliver goods at some point to surpass it.
picrel is the largest city on a 50-year map. Suburban sprawl is due to ITL 2, which limits high-rise development only to areas served by stations. You can see that this city doesn't grow, even though it has an extensive public transport network and 2 mainline terminus stations. If I wanted it to grow further, I would need to build more stations in the suburbs.
The script is highly customizable and vanilla-friendly. Additionally, it handles industry proliferation in the same way, preventing unused factories from shitting up the entire map.

Alternatively, there's another script by 2TallTyler (Renewed Village Growth) which is more like a citybuilder script, that requires you to deliver various goods past certain population thresholds for continued growth.
>>
>>1795406
Why do you use arctic terrain instead of Japanese? It looks dreary.
>>
>>1795410
i don't run the server
but presumably it was used so that there could be snow in the winter
>>
>>1795408
>Alternatively, there's another script by 2TallTyler (Renewed Village Growth)
That script would be a lot better if it let you choose what fell in which category.
>>
File: mine.jpg (365 KB, 1535x760)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>1794713
Just have a train loading at all times and build a statue in the corresponding town for +10% ratings. Any industry with 60% or more transported will have a 2/3 chance of increasing production. I have literally 3 trains with a very pathetic maximum speed of 60 mph waiting on this mine and it just keeps on growing. Just have to make sure at least 1 train is always loading or pulling into the station as the last one leaves.
Obviously, you can get even higher numbers if you tick all the boxes: faster trains (at least 90 mph), new trains (2 years old at a max), no cargo stockpiling and so on.
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Game%20Mechanics/#station-rating
>>
>>1795413
That's why I like ViV more, but I see many players enjoying the latter so I included it on the off chance he might prefer that one.
Also ,ViV has funny economy settings bundled with it (off by default), that make the game less of a "watch the number go up" and can actually bankrupt you even if you're relatively competent.
>>
Anyway, post your networks.
Highly recommend this station design for maximum deadlocks.
>>
>>1795402
God I wish. I just like having my trains not wait.
>>
>try FIRS
>get blown the fuck away
if i had that when i was a kid i would have noped out from frying my brain
>>
File: 1720038172268649.png (1.99 MB, 2498x1418)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB PNG
i want to play more but it takes so much time
>>
great game threads like this barely get replies but shit games that are garbage get 500 post threads. I dont get it.... do you guys just hate playing good games?
>>
I always liked seeing towns grow in OpenTTD but I wish the process was a bit more involved. I know it isn't a city builder, but the cities just have this wonderful charm about them.
>>
>>1796028
There's mods to play more with city building in the bring stuff to it sense but sadly your city building is limited to placing roads and terraforming the land. You cant even lock a building to historical so it doesnt leave or pick what structures grow. I WISH this let us build more in city and do more with towns and what we can build.
>>
>>1796004
This is 4chan
You should be glad that good games even get threads that don't just die instantly
>>
File: Hi Hoe Silver Fleet AWAY!.png (459 KB, 1876x1039)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
Fresh game in 2024 and got my fleet of 25 1700s horse carriages heading out.
>>
>>1796185
Based. Do you also use ships?
>>
>>1796529
Yes I love using ships when possible. There's a couple I have added from mods that are decent price and bring in lots of money due to their cargo space and speed. Ships can be super useful and make good money.
>>
>>1796529
>>1796689
Ships let you get AMAZING throughput at secondary industries, because they don't collide. In my current game, I have a FIRS steel mill that gets over 15000 tons per month.
>>
>>1796952
hopefully they can fix this in a future version.
version 14 fixed it so that you don't need to build buoys anymore
>>
>>1795758
That looks very pretty. Great job.
>>
>>1793453
>didn't name the file ghost of kyiv
0/10
>>
>>1796952
I love ships and will routinely setup shipping routes to small island cities from a giant city of 4k+ if its on the coast. Makes it so easy to make profits shipping people. A city of 8k with a huge selection of coverage can make a port in your city massively profitable. Ship mail and passengers in and out of the city and watch the profits come in. Ive racked up millions in just a short time just from a couple of passenger ships transporting back and forth to decent sized cities. I think I enjoy ships a bit more than planes but I have a great selection of cheaper smaller planes to move cargo and passengers so it works out. love this game
>>
File: 20240707234152_1.jpg (915 KB, 1920x1080)
915 KB
915 KB JPG
>>1797292
I also love ships. Most of these serve the steel mill at the south of the pic; either bringing in raw materials or taking out steel. Most of the steel ships also refit and bring back goods.
>>
File: Bloggs__Co._2005-03-21.png (1.25 MB, 960x496)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
Postin screenshots from the OpenTTD d*scord
>>
File: image.png (3.4 MB, 2591x1282)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB PNG
>>
File: image.png (1.99 MB, 1284x658)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB PNG
>>
>>1797306
>>1797307
great graphics anon. What graphics set/pack? Is it available for download on the in games online content? looks great.
>>1797308
Also looks nice and would like this graphic set also
>>1797296
very nice anon. I havent got 2 big into changing cargo at ports and shipping stuff but ive dabbled in it (and it went ok the few ships I did it with. I love ships also and wish I could get more islands with towns on them consistantly for maps
>>
File: Great Central Railway.png (3.81 MB, 7680x4076)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB PNG
My central station in the current quick session. 3rd rail suburban traffic comes from the East, an electrified line for heavy iron haulers and expresses diverges to the North and a general purpose track to the South brings in some goods and passengers, with a long distance coal consist passing every once in a while. Quite busy most of the time with trains rolling in all directions.

>>1797390
>What graphics set/pack?
Pretty sure it's CZTR with maybe some of Temporal8's houses thrown in.
>>
File: Frindburg Transport.png (1.12 MB, 1920x1019)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
A little steam passenger network from one of my earlier saves. Actually took time to scratch up a basic timetable for it to let streamliners run uninterrupted.
>>
Assume a 50-foot boxcar
Then one tile = two cars = 100 feet
1024 tiles = 102,400 feet = ~19.5 miles
Round it up to make each 1k tiles equal to 20 miles.
Thus, an 8k map would REALISTICALLY cover an area of 160x160 miles, which is large enough for any metro area. Even a 4kx4k map should suffice.
>>
>>1797470
Thanks i'll see if I can track the graphics packs down and add them into my game.
>>
>>1797296
setting the sea level really high is fun with boats. Forces you to get some sea lanes running before you can build massive railway bridges between islands.
>>
>>1797485
>Actually took time to scratch up a basic timetable for it to let streamliners run uninterrupted.
You should check out the JGR patch; it includes automated timetables. Very nice.
>>
File: 111.png (235 KB, 3136x1780)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>1797635
As in it creates this crap on its own? I've heard it has auto-unbunching, but the trunk has it too now. 42-hour clock sure does help, but you can work around it with enough determination.
>>
24-hour, desu.
>>
>>1797656
yes. Well, overtaking can't be planned ahead of time but with proper signalling you can trust the pathfinder to handle it.
>>
bout to start a game in a far future year and will only be using for trucks/trains only vehicles from 1920 and earlier. As for boats probably the same and same for trams (trams are great) not sure about using airplanes but some of those early pre 1960s ones are decent enough. Not really any goal but to see how profitable I can be running old vehicles. Got a few vehicles in mind already depending on running cost (which I set old vehicles to be a bit cheaper due to age). welp off to kill an hour or 3 doing this unless something comes up
>>
How do I get good maps? I find it very hard to get the generator to give me a fun world. One problem that I find particularly egregious is that the game spawns industries in a really biased way. Like in my current 4k x 4k world, the northern half has +200 steel mills. The southern half has 0.
>>
File: 111.jpg (106 KB, 933x562)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>1797773
Here are my settings. Industries are controlled via script to spawn only after 50% of existing ones are served, so no issues with steel mill spam. I am usually satisfied with the results.
>>
>>1797781
I don't mind lots of steel mills, more the problem is that they're not spread out well at all. They're all in one half of the map.
>>
File: 111.jpg (149 KB, 1905x872)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
Churns out something like this. Obviously, you would need more industry and towns for larger maps to make it feasible.
>>
>>1797789
There are mods for this. I know for sure that Improved Town Industries sets extra conditions for industries (i.e. processing in the city, primaries in the boonies, no cluttering, etc), but it's kind of meh as a whole. Some other packs could do it as well, I don't remember. Fact is, it could be done and could even be forked from the aforementioned mod for this functionality alone.
>>
One of the only good threads on this board right now. Lets keep it alive
>>
>install firs
>spend 30 mins just looking over the industry trying to sort what goes to what and where
>most stuff is 2 far away from eachother to really be good to transport goods
>selection limited due to that
>running a growth mod for cities so they dont grow unless they get passengers and mail and other stuff
>cities no longer fill in the map and grow after 100yrs
>this is good and I can finally let my games run full speed without fear of being lagged out in 100yrs game time due to all the cities growing 10000 people each
>>
>>1798081
I like to look for steel mills near water, so I can use ships and move crazy quantities of cargo. Best is when there's a metal workshop and a port somewhere on the same body of water. Then I can get triangular trade going; ships carry steel from the mill to the workshop, then goods from the workshop to the port. And this keeps the port happy so I can use the engineering supplies and chemicals to make even more steel and goods.
>>
>>1798068
OpenTTD is pretty comfy its true.
>>
>>1798337
one of the youtube lets plays of openttd im watching thru the guy does a similar bit with steel and ports. But he loves settings up shipping also and has a ton of that in the ocean. I learned a bit about firs playing with it for a bit and even setup a few industry in my best play. Seems like a solid mod for sure i'll continue to test out. Thanks for the tips i'll keep an eye out for steel plants and ports
>>
File: ttd3.png (460 KB, 1405x833)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
And this is where we send the councillors at the local authority who disagree with our rail expansion plans.
>>
>>1798410
A nice country club?
>>
>>1798410
a comfy camp for rethinking not being on the same page as you anon. good idea. What mod adds comfy camps to the game?
>>
>>1798430
well, its in the country atleast ...
>>1798441
I think its a mix of australian military objects, firs and chips objects, and north korean objects.
>>
>>1797773
- Download heightmaps (e.g., LtJoker's)
- Spawn only primary industry
- Use Renewed village growth + FIRS/AXIS/AIRS
- set up rail network for passengers, then fund secondary industries as you go
>>
>>1798446
ive only checked out like 3 of ltjokers maps and wasnt impressed with them. maybe it was just his shitty maps I saw. I'll check a few more out in a bit. currently in a game testing a mod out to see if I like it or not (I do for the most).
>>
>>1798445
Thanks anon I tracked down the military and korean objects. Going to test a few maps now to see if they show up properly.
>>
>>1798651
I play:
LtJoker's Fjord map
Maxheight = 255, Snowline = 100
Towns = 100; Industries = 200 (no secondaries)
Daylength = 8
Turn breakdowns off

Honestly I should set daylength to 40 or so but i think that' will need basecosts mod
>>
>>1798955
i'll go check the fjord map right now since I just got done testing a road mod (not keeping it didnt like the effects it had) and im free to just play a map for a bit.

Towns at 100 = low? industry = very low? If so i'll try your settings and I will have to check if I have breakdowns on or off I think off due to mod testing.
>>
>>1798959
if I understand your 100/200 it'd be very low and minimal not low very low. Either way im going to try that setting. I cant remember if I tried this map or not.
>>
>>1798960
if you're using JGRPP you can set a custom value for the number of towns and industries that spawn
>>
Added a mod that makes the roads have different tiers like dirt/town/highway and a few others. Its not bad. Im still learning what some of the roads do. It took me a minute to realize highway roads cause houses to leave because appearently its not suitable for housing. Lost about 200 people in a 250 person town before I figured it out and sorted it. Seems decent enough and adds more vehicles but I already have hundreds of vehicles (some set to absurdly low maintance costs I cant edit) and so the new ones just get lost in the shuffle. also using firs and a few mods to spice up the graphics a bit so there's more variety. All in all my games in a good spot playwise and its quite comfy just building and expanding and watching my money grow. And with firs and the one city growth mod cities dont grow unless they get passengers and mail at the min so 100yrs later the map isnt covered in massive sprawling cities of huge size.
>>
>>1799551
Post pics, anon.
>>
Thinking about playing openttd today and connecting a few industry and towns before I get bored of the map and close it. Maybe a winter map this time and connecting cities up in the mountains. def do my tried and true food to city connections.

What year do you guys usually start? Lately ive just set the year to 7900 and called it good. everythings unlocked and you can use all the vehicles as far back as mods allow (without expiration set to on).
>>
File: Watkins__Co._2042-09-12.png (870 KB, 1920x1080)
870 KB
870 KB PNG
>>1797308
moar
>>
>>1800140
big fan of the crates and cargo all stacked. what grf for that effect?
>>
File: 20240712185645_1.jpg (1.42 MB, 2560x1418)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
I'm posting A-Train and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
Goddamn is this tutorial long.

>>1800144
Looks like Industrial Stations Renewal.
>>
>>1793274
is this game way way better than Transport Fever 1? Looking at picking up transport fever 1. What about compared to like Railroad Tycoon 3
>>
>>1800551
It's better in most aspects:
>larger maps
>terraforming
>better pathfinder
>less limitations in general
>runs on a potato
>mods are more diverse
>you can literally hack it up yourself as a last resort

While TF1 is:
>prettier (at the expense of performance)
>has better agent implementation (cargodist)
>has saner world scale

If you want TF, I'd suggest picking up the second installment. It is superior in most things, especially in cargodist department (in TF1 maximum travel distance for cargo is less than the map length). The only aspect where TF1 would beat TF2 is economics and general difficulty: hardest difficulty in TF1 is brutal and the world feels less gamey overall, while TF2 is a walk in the park at any level.

In essence, TF is a model railway set. OpenTTD is a very flexible sandbox with simplistic graphics. TF wanted to be the modern rendition of TTD, but ultimately fell short.
>>
>>1800551
RRT is a whole nother animal. Business model in OpenTTD is rather uninvolved. Anyway, it's free and demands like 40MB of disk space: just try it out for yourself and see if you like it.
>>
>>1800140
>building out the entire network before any demand is there
Gay.
>>
>>1800543
Is classic better than tourism?
>>
>>1800600
he's just got houses o-
oh wait. yeah. gay as fuck.
>>
>>1800612
PC Classic is the only one I've played so far.
>>
File: 20240712230027_1.jpg (1.49 MB, 2560x1418)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
I think I might be too American for A-Train.
It has so much focus on timetables instead of signalling.
Unless the tutorial is withholding "wait until loaded" orders for freight trains, then the Jap transport mindset is totally alien to me.
>>
>>1797498
If you have your units set to metric, the cheapest train travels at 64 km/h
If you have your units set to game units, the cheapest train travels at 2,3 tiles/day
Therefore, a tile is approximately 668 kilometers long
You could fit any irl metro area in a single tile in this game
A tree in this game is several times the accepted height of the atmosphere. It is almost 100 times taller than the Everest
>>
File: absolutely barbaric.jpg (160 KB, 600x709)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>1800680
>first day of the week is sunday
>>
>>1793274
cargo dist is the coolest shit. It makes it worthwhile to have an intertwinned city bus-train network.
>>
>>1800849
yeah, its a nice feeling seeing someone at a bus station wanting to go to a bus station at the other end of the map, knowing all the different trains and stops they have to make.
>>
cargo dist is senseless broken garbage
>>
I finally started putting multiple engines on 1 train for extra power. Useful with super ultra cheap old trains. stack 3-4 of them 1 after another than the boxcars of whatever cargo and sucess its more effecient.
>>
>>1800849
>cargo dist
is that a mod?
>>
>>1802159
its in the settings
>>
File: 1643816751738.webm (795 KB, 480x480)
795 KB
795 KB WEBM
>>1802184
hell yeah!
>>
>>1802159
It's feckin trash on anything but "symmetric", be aware of that. Otherwise a necessary addition to gameplay in my opinion.

>>1800983
It's the least retarded implementation of such system, imo. Yes, the peeps don't actually go from point a to point b, but if your graphlink is somewhat stable, they kind of do and you won't notice the difference.
Compare that to a true agent system, like in Transport Fever or Cities Skylines where any region beyond 100k will set your PC on fire. There's a reason buses have capacity of 12 people in those games.
>>
File: Simutrans 1902.jpg (150 KB, 1420x915)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1800543
For me it's Simutrans Extended. Don't remember this network map from last time I played. I like it despite having like three intercity lines and a bunch of ferries. Some 600km of track at the moment. Money is pretty hard to come by until the network coverage makes the people go. Mostly been living on credit for the 20 years. Certainly don't feel like I'm rich enough for double tracks. Though the red line probably should get them soon.
>>
File: 1902 mail boom.jpg (31 KB, 863x325)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1802288
The scale of the other numbers kind of fucks the mail chart. But starting up the ferries once I reached the coast was a huge increase.
>>
>>1802286
>Yes, the peeps don't actually go from point a to point b
Elaborate. They still want to go somewhere right? With dist at least within your network. And whatever happened to dest where they wanted to go a place. Whether it was connected or not. That's how I remember it from last time I played at least.
>>
>>1802288
Tried it once, but got filtered by the interface and fugly graphics. At least I couldn't find a set that wouldn't make the game reek of FOSS in the worst way imaginable. Also the parallel diagonal rail gaps are abominable (diagonal highways and airports are pretty cool, though).
>>
File: Tanock Bridge Station.jpg (434 KB, 1844x859)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>1802297
Simutrans is weird in that the base game (or used to) gives you a whole bunch of different paksets. With different everything. Including graphics.
I actually quite like the pak128 ones. Such as the one used by Simutrans Extended for Britain.
This cartoon one I saw recently looks pretty neat too. I mostly play Extended for well the extension. It's fun to fiddle with passenger classes and limitations like axle weights forcing track upgrades at some point. But for different reasons other than pure speed.
>>
File: Cartoony trains.png (1.03 MB, 1333x845)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>1802300
>This cartoon one I saw recently looks pretty neat too.
Forgot which image I attached. That wasn't the one I thought. The one you posted looks like like one of the worse 64 paks. And yes it looks pretty shitty.
>>
>>1802296
The cargo does not actually know where it wants to go once en route, it only remembers the station of origin. After it's been loaded, cargodist calculates the amount of cargo that should dismount according to the current graphlink at every successive stop the vehicle makes. So if your graph is stable, then it will look like your passengers actually go where they want, otherwise they may "want" to go to one place, but disembark somewhere else. You can observe this behaviour for yourself by skipping all scheduled stops back to your initial destination and people will actually disembark at the same station they've just boarded the train at.
Dest got discontinued precisely due to the reason I've mentioned in the post above. Even a modestly sized 512x512 map with a world population of 1 mil will melt your CPU.
>>
>>1802300
>passenger classes and limitations like axle weights
Yes, I have heard it contains much autism of this sort and that's why I wanted to try it. Maybe some day I will muster enough courage to sift through the inane UI and multitude of shitty paksets and will finally embrace it.
>>
File: cargodest.jpg (80 KB, 825x374)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1802303
>The cargo does not actually know where it wants to go once en route, it only remembers the station of origin
Alright then I understand.
Also, I'm playing Simutrans right now on a 4096x2048 map with 1.5 million population. Granted I haven't connected them all. But the game runs fine even with maybe a third of them connected. Can't see the total pops connected, only cities. So it seems Cargodest should be viable in OpenTTD as well.
If nothing is going the right way, this mail will just sit here and wait until something is. That's why there was such a huge boom in mail traffic. There was simply more people who could send and receive mail to where they wanted it to go.
>>1802307
That's specifically Simtutrans Extended for extra autism. Which is its own branch and only comes with two paksets. Britain (the superior one) and Sweden for whatever reason. You need to get it separately.
>>
>>1802312
I was exaggerating, obviously, but from what I have gathered on the forums, the algorithm was becoming prohibitively expensive performance wise very quickly.
>>
>>1802288
What's so special about Simutrans Extended?
>>
>>1802423
Mostly extra details aka autism.
Speed doesn't influence profit. Instead it's based on how long and comfortable the journey is. A more comfortable seat lets people accept longer journeys for more money. Catchment areas are huge. But the walk there is included in the travel time.
Passenger classes are a thing and pay differently, catering to increase profit and comfort (iirc.) It's fun seeing the luxury seats filling up.
The previously mentioned cargodest stuff. People won't travel unless they can go where they want to.
Industries are linked like I think is in FIRS. And need staff to work. Which I don't think is in the base game.
More way types and way wear. With different max axle loads. Upgrading isn't necessarily just about higher speeds.
More signal types and working methods beyond absolute blocks. Signals also have max sighting speeds.
Trains without signals go at "drive by sight." Slow enough to brake in time which is slow. Sadly some like the one train staff and token ones are a bit broken. They also need signal boxes with their own limitation and possible signals they can control.
Canals are also expanded a lot in the British pak. With stuff like horse drawn barges and narrowboats.
Demolishing is more limited. No cutting off roads or houses. You should be able to build a new road. But I don't understand the rules completely yet. It's why the Tanock station has that large crossing. Can't get rid of the road.
More graphs for everything.

All in all. Things that probably don't matter to a lot of people. But I think is neat. Hopefully I'll keep going until I have something prettier to post.
>>
>>1802502
Is there a manual for how to play it differently from simutrans?
>>
Just over 100 trains on this new map. Mostly vanilla toyland (just some alternate vehicle sets) to get back into the game.

>>1802320
>the algorithm was becoming prohibitively expensive performance wise very quickly
There's a few other problems with it, the biggest problem is that they can't fix it now without breaking backwards compatibility (it made it into a release way too soon). IIRC there's an alternative in development but this time it won't be released until its actually finished.
>>
File: Linnville Transport 2226.png (161 KB, 1806x1142)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>1803074
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1803076
Neat. How big is the map and do you have any close ups?
>>
>>1803115
Anything in particular you want to see? Map is 512x512 with reduced towns and industries so even 'short' distances pay well.

As the train count scales up I'll slowly give the network a better distinction between mainline and secondaries but its still early days. You can see I haven't even doubled up 'mainline' bridges yet.
>>
>>1803115
>>1803162
Recently had to add overflows to the three factory pickups because the supply is too inconsistent and even long waiting bays weren't cutting it anymore.
>>
>>1803162
The biggest station where the most trains go. Because I'm bad at scaling things up
>>
>>1803162
>>1803167
I forget people play the silly toyland theme because mines broken from mods and doesnt properly display most of the buildings and instead just uses buildings from other mods. its a mess and only breaks that landset. pity cuz its fun and I like the whole toontown thing its got going on. (go watch who framed roger rabbit if you havent yet).
>>
>>1803168
My biggest station would be the houses drop which takes both fizzy drinks and candy but because there's no pickup its just a 2 platform RORO so it wouldn't be the best example. Also my play style is rather coop-like which doesn't seem so popular in these threads.

Best would be the station in >>1803167. Main points would be the overflow on pickup I can flood it with extra trains and supply of trains to pickup will always match demand (supply of candy to pickup). This is good for inconsistent base material supply.
Also carefully counted waiting bays on exit to guarantee there's enough space for trains to clear the platform before they might stop because of a merge.
Only thing really left for this station would be to improve the drop entry, remove the cheating shorter curve because of the blue rail and stretch it to full 6 tile length with red rail so trains stay at full (red) speed for a little longer. If you don't play with NUTS trains and PURR rail then this probably doesn't mean anything to you.
>>
>>1803180
I liked toyland too, but yeah compatibility with it is generally not taken into consideration by the modverse and of the things hat will work only a few will fit the theme because of how different it is. The ones that anon uses are pretty much the only ones that do.

My personal favourite was the tropical one though. I liked growing desert cities and that some things could only be found in one biome or the other, arctic also had it but to lesser extent. CIty growth scripts are a thing now but biomes seem to be underused thing in grfs.
>>
File: Starter route.jpg (3.11 MB, 4280x1576)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>1802960
https://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/en_extended_Index has a lot of information on how and why it differs. Which should help speed things along. But not how to play the game itself. There are probably guides for Simutrans which largely work for extended. It's still similar to TTD anyway.
The easiest way to start is probably blowing your entire bank account plus a likely large loan for a passenger railway. Connect up at least a few cities on the line. With maybe some busses to help move people around if they are large enough.
I started with something like this. Can't remember if I reached all the way to Tanock Bridge, but close enough.
Look at the settings and gen a few maps if you don't want several large cities like these from the start.
In general it's harder to earn money compared to TTD.
>>
>>1803183
Thanks for the explanation. Co-op like meaning what by the way?
>>
>>1803228
the tropics are great and I love long ass trains going thru the desert myself. its fun watching a train ship cargo thru the desert to its location. I also enjoy the industry changes the biomes bring. I would probably say tropical is my favorite and most played biome lately out of the 3. winter is good but its kinda hard on my eyes in the snow so I dont like it as much. temperate is nice and bit plain in a way hence why I like the tropical and its trees and desert regions (plus I love deserts in games)
>>
>winter biome
>american cities and roads packs
>new brunswick town names
>firs industry
>water level: custom 60%
Oh yeah, it's comfy time
>>
File: The abominable station.jpg (444 KB, 1807x849)
444 KB
444 KB JPG
Behold the most abominable station imaginable. Upgrading to a pretty double track was basically not allowed. Due to having to preserve road connections. Would just need to level too much to bother. So I ended up with this atrocity. Two tracks with residential in between. Like that chinese highway going around a single house.
The station is connected by the yellow building and bus stop in the middle. So it's still one station. Which is probably bad due to in station transfers taking time the further it is.
My current trains haven't quite been able to keep up with demand. And it all got worse after I started a new express line to the long transfer times.
>>
File: Network update.jpg (170 KB, 1296x905)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1804492
It's been about six years since the last network map. Most of the budget has been spent on slowly upgrading the green and red lines to double tracks. Though with a slight extension of the black line up north. Along with the new blue express line which caused even more overcrowding along both green and red.
There's also long extension of the narrowgauge on the southern island.
I figured "There's water in the way why not right?" Use narrow gauge to save on costs. It's like 1/5th of the price. That was the wrong thought I realize now.
The island is really too large for the 60kmh narrowgauge trains. And they don't pull very much either. I also noticed I could probably make a bridge later. Might be an upgrade for future decades. As it stands it takes just over three hours to cross if I read the charts right.
The ferry network has also been greatly extended. With fish, vegetables and fruit being supplied to the markets. Along with several new passenger routes. The hub ports where the steamers and old schooners visit are as overcrowded with mail and passengers as ever. So I still need to figure that out.
>>
File: What the fuck train.jpg (55 KB, 917x396)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1804501
While gathering all the info for the posts I also noticed a huge discrepancy for that narrow gauge line. Something in the signalling seems broken and it wasn't moving even close to the maximum speed. What do you mean 11.5km/h average?
Redid the signals and hopefully it's working better now. The journey should be a good 1½ hours faster if it works.
>>
File: Untitled.png (386 KB, 1080x1149)
386 KB
386 KB PNG
>>
File: oh god of fuck.png (189 KB, 273x294)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>1793274
OH SHIT IT'S GOING OFF A CLIFF
>>
>>1803687
>Co-op like meaning what by the way?
Been dead for a bit but there used to be a multiplayer server called OpenTTDCoop that would collaboratively produce some highly optimised networks.
https://www.openttdcoop.org/
>>
it's a shame that simutrans looks like complete ass because it's got a lot more features than TTD
>>
>>1804815
I was thinking the same earlier when anon kept posting stuff for the game. like huh it seems to have a ton of features but holy shit it looks like completely ass to me. doesnt look like it has the fun playable of openttd. do trains and vehicles even travel on its map or is it all just empty and you gotta pretend the trains are going back and forth because so far I havent seen any trains in the simutrains screenshots at all just spreadshit crap. like where's the trains going back and forth on the map?
>>
>>1804815
>>1804860
Choo choo, look at those trains go. I think it looks fine, and post graphs and maps because there's not a whole lot going on at the same time and place. The map is massive. Also I really like all the graphs available.
>>
>>1804890
oh awesome it does have moving vehicles. thank god. I thought it was just a spreadsheet simulator with a map on it. very cool. now what all vehicles show up on the map? its not just trains right? what vehicles are in the game? does it have mods and support like openttd?
>>
File: trains.jpg (56 KB, 905x471)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1804891
I'm playing basically the largest mod. Simutrans Extended which is it's own branch of the game, see >>1802502.
Paksets like in >>1804667 change both the graphics, vehicles and sometimes the rules a little bit. Extended just goes a lot further.
You have pretty much the same as in TTD for vehicles. Trains, narrow gauge trains, trams, road vehicles, ships, planes.
But especially trains. Just look at all these locomotives I can choose from in 1907.
>>
>>1804896
now its looking alot better. A good selection of vehicles draws me in. the mods and stuff also help extend games for me so I like to run those if possible. I also enjoy a good selection of vehicles to work with so I have more options. Like right now in my current openttd game im running a huge system of cargo trains to transport a bunch of stuff to its destination than taking the finished product all by trucks to its final destination. I also run a fairly ok airport system around the nearby area but it doesnt bring in nearly as much money as it could since the planes dont move a ton of people/mail like I want. Another one of my games is set in the year 7900+ and has everything available and nothing expired or disabled so I have about 200yrs of vehicles to pick thru (with some stuff having such cheap maintance and cost its almost too profitable to run them like 1800s horse and carriages or early steam engines). Even a few old trains are cheap and profitable. But I also run mods that have made some modifications to prices and costs and maintance. some higher some lower for some things depending on time and year. so setting up a horse and carriage for $2k and its maintance being $380. I run alot of old ass vehicles due to this kind of stuff. at some point i'll re-go thru all my mods settings and see what everything is at
>>
Is there a good way to automatically group your vehicles? I know about "Add Shared Orders", which helps, but when I have dozens of routes to name it gets really tedious. Seems like there should be an automated way to do this.
>>
File: screenshot#5.png (1.14 MB, 1920x1080)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
Here's my city and its metropolitan area.
>>
File: screenshot#6.png (1.46 MB, 1920x1080)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>1805371
One zoomlevel out.
>>
File: screenshot#2.png (156 KB, 1024x2048)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>1805372
And the whole world.
>>
I like making this kind of railroad, but I end up making double tracks because red graphs stress me out.
>>1805371
>>1805372
>>1805373
Looks really nice.
>>1804890
Absolutely hideous track layout. Why do you have all those superfluous connections?
>>
>>1805491
The entire network.
>>
>>1805371
Very nice. I wish I could build aesthetic maps like that.
>>
File: track.jpg (303 KB, 1319x914)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>1805491
>Absolutely hideous track layout. Why do you have all those superfluous connections?
Don't really care all that much. If it works it works. Fixed it up a little just for you anon.
One small thing about Simutrans is that track can't be as close as in TTD. So I don't think I can get rid of the left over diagonals in the space I have.
>>
>>1805500
Wew, much better! If that's the case I'll just stick to TTD for now and impose restrictions in my headcanon. You can build stations underground too?
>>
>>1805502
You can but I haven't played around with it.
Here's the diagonal spacing. The right side would be properly allowed in TTD. I'd say it's a rather minor aesthetic issue.
>>
File: diagonal.jpg (60 KB, 473x551)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1805503
Obviously forgot the image
>>
>>1805504
In TTD you get penalised with more maintenace costs if you build double crossovers instead building two separate ones. I get the feeling Simutrans would drive me insane. I do would like the option to have manual signal blocks and such from the extended pak.
>>
>>1805509
Haven't actually thought about the maintenance. It might cost more to have it like that here as well. If only because there's more track.
>>
>>1796004
I've only recently realized there's a board here so I'm taking my leisure time lurking each thread of games I've enjoyed, or sheer curiosity.
>>
Update to >>1803167, just over 200 trains now and I realized I did the prios wrong on the overflows. Here's a pic with it fixed. :)
>should only be a short feed-forward to detect if there's a train waiting but a long feed-back to make sure one doesn't come out of the depot and slow down the line if we already have fresh trains coming in
>combo signal to let trains out shouldn't be the signal they pass through to leave (see its on the side now) so we can't end up in the situation where a train is stuck halfway out because it flashed green on the tick our prios were clear
>>
>>1805139
Add the vehicle to a group before cloning with shared orders
>>
How does Simutrans differ from OTTD apart from looking like shit?
>>
>>1805938
diagonal roads
electricity
more slopes
way more autism re: loco statistics
workers
better world maps

it's a more complete simulation
the problem with these games is that they're both filled with train fetishists and so each game is a train simulator with a crummy city builder attached to it when it should actually be a city-builder where the city management work (i.e., fire, police, education etc) is replaced by managing the logistics.
>>
File: create_group.jpg (103 KB, 886x650)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1805139
There's no way to skimp on renaming tedium, but you can create fast groups via the depot/station/waypoint menu (picrel). I usually create a group beforehand and put the first vehicle in it before cloning more vehicles.
But that's about it. Yes, I feel your pain, sometimes I even postpone grouping vehicles altogether until mid-game if I'm not sure whether I'm going to continue playing this save file or not.
>>
>>1805938
i can never figure out how to make money in simutrans
which is a shame because simutrans-extended exists, which is probably the most autistic and detailed transport tycoon-like in existence
https://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/en_extended_Index
>>
>>1806064
>the most autistic and detailed
>simutrans-germany.com
What is it about the Krauts?
>>
>>1805949
Spent 5 minutes and couldn't stand it. Earrape music and awful graphics.
>>
Simutrans just seems so much better in every way I can't see any reason to play OpenTTD.
Not that OpenTTD is bad, just not as good.
>>
File: image.png (513 KB, 1826x1016)
513 KB
513 KB PNG
>>1806222
Pak128.britain looks pretty good. 256 looks excellent but it's pretty outdated.
I wish there were other 256 resolution paksets that #1 were updated and #2 weren't Japan. Nothing against it, but variety is nice. I also wish there was a turbo autism option besides 128.britain.
>>
>>1806241
Depends if you like the arcade nature or not. If you weren't a fan of OTTDs characteristics then you would at least be using JGRPP to fix stuff like signals on bridges already.
>>
>>1806222
>Any pak64
Get a 128 at least like >>1806245 says. And the turbo autist 128.britain like I'm playing in like all the Simutrans posts above.
>>
As this is the only thread about trains:
Artdink has announced a train builder, but as always they haven't explained how it's going to work. Apparently, it's going to be compatible with A-Train 9 5.0, so you can create your trains and buy them to use in your scenarios, but A-Train 9 5.0 was only released in Japan, and these fuckers are releasing the builder to the whole world... what a shitshow...
>>
>>1808025
Thats actually cool but fuck them if they don't release an english version.
>>
>>1808025
No concrete information yet?
>>
File: Simutrans 1912.jpg (137 KB, 1408x907)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>1802288
Ten years later. The network now looks like this. With an extra 1000km of track.
I've finally started some actual freight lines. Mainly coal from the west with all the brown lines. Workers going in, coal coming out. Going down to the harbor and over to probably too small boats.
The long straight looking line is actually snaking south of the lake in some pretty terrible hills.
I had to spend far too much money for the freight tracks. After I realized the slow freight trains were hogging my entire passenger network. Also lots of signalling issues during the expansions. Leading to many headaches trying to manually sort trains out all of the place.
All in all. I'm still having fun but it's starting to get overwhelming.
>>
>>1808219
>I'm still having fun but it's starting to get overwhelming
Welcome to real life railway planning.
>>
File: 1488.png (1.56 MB, 1440x720)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
Anyone got any clue why ATrain 9 5.0 is sperging out like this? The further I zoom out the more tiles get turned either pitch black or pitch white, I would assume that it's intentional to reduce performance drain but this is way too fucking severe. Got the latest version, decent specs, tried both fullscreen and windowed, compatibility mode, changing all the settings, yet it did jack shit. There's no draw distance settings or anything like that either.
>>
>>1808357
Nvm fixed, don't even know how but I managed it.
>>
>>1806215
that’s just the host, simutrans-extended is actually british
>>
>>1802286
RT3 was released in 2003 and had way more superior cargo/economic system
why openttd/simutrans can't implement something similar?
>>
>>1808820
I only played RT2 back in the day and I loved it. What did RT3 do?
>>
What industry sets does everyone like to play with, if any? Anything that's not FIRS/ECS/YETI?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.