[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: RomeTW1a.jpg (167 KB, 881x556)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Time flies, say something nice about it.
>>
>>1854222
it's still kino and the music is goated
ca will literally never make a better game because they suck monkey taint now
>>
>>1854222
Based game and History Channel did a tv series with the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3623pilC2_s
>>
>>1854222
They will never make a game where it's enjoyable watching the soldiers fight again.
>>
>>1854222
Gods, I hate Gauls...
>>
>>1854222
>>1854300
My father hated them too, right before they put out his eyes...
>>
>>1854222
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQU8k8XVAA
> Last night, the crying of the fanboys kept me awake...and I had a terrible vision. I saw the fall of our franchise: low budget remasters under a harsh sun... Historical Total War, gone! Why would CA send such a vision? They are not cruel; they have watched over us. We have had victories aplenty in game awards. Our community sail to all corners of the forums. Yet even now, I fear. I cannot help it. We are the envy of mobile gamers. They tell terrible lies about us. They do not understand, so they lie. But the Warhammer fanboys, they are the masters of falsehood. New Historical Total War will come, I am sure of it. So. I will have no more false visions...and I think the fanboys will be quiet tonight.
>>
>>1854222
The most fun total war game for me to this day
>>
>>1854222
Ludo
>>
>>1854322
I agree
Even with all its problems its still fun
>>
>>1854222
Good music. Other than that, it aged poorly.
>>
File: Parthia apu.jpg (171 KB, 1300x1300)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>1854392
gonna fight you scum
>rout on contact
>>
>>1854316
Zoomer version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBz31Dfs5Qk
>>
4h podcast about Roman empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoVVSggPjY
>>
>>1854222
Happy birthday, the day is OUUUURS
>>
>>1855015
i played civ6 as trajan on marathon while listening to this. good shit
>>
>>1854222
still playing in 2024
>>
Had some great mods for it. I loved Rome Total Realism, and Europa Barbarorum back in the day
>>
>>1854222
Should i play the remastered? I played the original.
>>
Still the best of the series. with Med 2 a close second.

CA went full warscape-tard after that.
>>
>>1855240
>with Med 2 a close second.
*ahem*
>>
>>1854385
What problems?
>>
>>1855240
TW3/Warscape engine is probably the worst thing they did and due to massive company mismanagement, when they finally started to get around to making it work with Atilla and Shogun it all went back to square 1 because all the old talent left and didn't leave any documentation for the newer hires.
>>
>>1855251
Let's not pretend RTW is a perfect game with nothing improved upon it in successive titles
>>
>>1855246
Shogun 2 is so cool, I though I did not like any of weeb shit then it turned me into one for months
>>
>>1855253
The engine was still bad for Atilla no matter what they tried. It was designed for the messy 1v1 animation-based combat of bayonet charges and units simply can not hold formation as a shield wall or phalanx etc like they should in older time periods. The devs really did their best but they were trying to polish a turd. The only reason it kind of works for Shogun 2 is thanks to the honorabu Samurai duel ideal.
>>
>>1855240
lol
lmao
>>
>>1855246
Battles are still unsatisfying in Shogun 2. The 1 on 1 duels don't save it.
>>
>>1854222
When I saw previews for this as a teen, I couldn't believe it. I thought the battle screenshots were just pre-rendered previews and the actual game wouldn't look that great. I staked it out and torrented it on release day and it was even better than advertised. I got hooked and played this game for hours every day, skipped class, wasted weekends on it, etc.
When Medieval II came out, I stuck to it and have only occasionally gone back. But Medieval II was merely a step forward on the back of Rome TW, which was groundbreaking.

The bad part is how big of an expectation this set. This was just another video game in 2004, although an amazing one. I thought that, by 2014 or 2024, we would have games that far surpass its greatness. After all, AoE 2 had only come out a few years earlier and, while amazing itself, seemed primitive in comparison. However, I was unknowingly living in the absolute peak. Everything went to shit soon after. RTS died, nuTW was shit and kept getting shittier. No competitor has made a worthy successor in TWENTY YEARS. Imagine being unable to surpass a 20 year old game, it's laughable.

This is the eternal tragedy of the old TW enjoyer. They'll never be happy because a game as impactful as RTW will never come out again. You will never be captivated by a simple good game as much as the RTW enjoyer.
>>
>>1855308
The industry is too far gone at this point. We need a reset that causes normgroids to lose interest.
>>
>>1855230
Only if the 'works on my machine' or the fixes and work arounds for the OG dont work
>>
>>1854222
You surely mean 2777 years old?
>>
>>1854222
I will never forget the time as a 10 year old when my dad first showed me how to play the game
>>
>>1855246
>massive armies of thousand of soldiers
>everyone just duels each other
>>
>>1854407
What the fuck is this cringeworthy passing grade powerpoint presentation
>>
>>1855366
they changed the Scipii intro too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou9Uzo1Wmus
>>
>>1855369
>our chief exports are grain, olive oil and young adult novels
Powerful.
>>
>>1855262
>The only reason it kind of works for Shogun 2 is thanks to the honorabu Samurai duel ideal.
Also helps that the time to kill is so low in shogun 2 that 1v1 duels doesn't really change anything.
>>
>>1855246
Shogun 2 really was some sort of miracle. Against all the odds CA managed to somehow make a good game out of it
>warscape engine which sucks at melee
>setting with little faction diversity
But they brought Jeff van Dyke back and made pure kino. I still think the game plays worse than Rome 1 or Med 2 but it's gorgeous and the campaign layer works really well imo.
It's amazing how badly the fucked up their subsequent games and I have no idea about sharthammer 7.
>>
>>1855514
Attila is a kino game, though.
>>
>>1855526
Having wrong opinions is ok.
>>
File: 1726597752435989.png (791 KB, 800x770)
791 KB
791 KB PNG
>>1855529
>Is an improvement over Rome II
>Horses and Flanking is pretty op
>Morale actually matters unlike Rome II
>Apocalyptic atmosphere
I'm calling it kino
>>
>>1855251
>battle maps have really exaggerated relief yet it doesn't end up impacting the battle much since troops can apparently charge and fight on 30% inclines
>Bronze Age Egypt which is invariably ends up the late game East Med power (I understand why they did this, I just don't like it)
>the internal political element the Roman factions have isn't present elsewhere, no missions and such, making them a bit lacking in flavor
>some factions aren't even unlockable at all unless you modify a text file, and have correspondingly minimal flavor
>Persia not on the map
>>
>>1855251
mostly ai and pathfinding, especially in sieges
>>
>>1855537
>Rome II
>Rome II
yeah it's an improvement over trepanning too
>>
https://youtu.be/SL9NbuohIDk
>And a thousand warriors... Why they are the start of an empire...
>>
>>1854222
Great mods and the best era for a Total War game
>>
>>1855369
This is truly awful.
>>
BEFORE MY GRANDFATHER'S GRANDFATHER WAS BORN
THIS WAS OUR LAND!
>>
>>1855251
diplo sucks hard
squalor being uncapped means the best way to handle it is to not invest in growth (farms&Public health)
The AI being bad enough you can run laps around them
>>
File: virgin gaul vs chad roman.jpg (479 KB, 2760x1432)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>start campaign as the B*itons
>conquer Gaul
>get ready to steam roll early Rome before they get to powerful
>G*rms and Iberians stab me in the back and Ally themselves with the Gauls for no reason
have fun getting genocided by Romans you ungrateful pieces of shit
also are there any mods that fix diplomacy?
>>
>>1855526
this
Attila would've been peak historical TW if CA bothered to actually finish it instead of making Gook Kingdoms
>>
>>1856474
meme misuse
>>
don't think I've ever finished a campaign in it besides the Alexander expansion.
>>
>>1854222
they may have the moon people on their side, but we have lovely hats!
>>
>>1854222
One day I will conquer the whole map by Seleucids on Very Hard.
>>
>>1855246
Shogun 2 is cool. But it's dragged down by its garbage engine.
>>
>>1856585
Rome and shogun 2 are the only total war games I've ever finished a campaign in. Probably because there was a real thematic end goal, in Rome it's to march on Rome and in Shogun 2 it's to march on Kyoto. Other games seriously lack anything like that.
>>
>>1855526
I will never understand Attila especially because its a complete mirror of Empire and Napoleon and to add insult to injury Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai was the blueprint on how to make something like Attila successful.
Just imagine the timeline where CA released Attila as a huge standalone expansion to Rome 2 and retroactively implemented many of Attila changes into Rome 2 instead of trying to sell it as a full price standalone game less than a year and half after crapping out Rome 2.
>>
>>1854222
Thank you for being the best game a teenager could get back then. I love you.
>>
>>1856695
Isn't Medieval 2 the same but with Jerusalem? It's been a while since I've played a full campaign in that one.
>>
What other provinces is like Patavium in that it's inexplicably an infinite well of manpower because its base fertility is like 5% higher than every other province
>>
File: RTW base farm level.png (12 KB, 509x311)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>1856763
Here's a map which displays base province fertility. The greener the province, the more fertile it is.
>>
>>1856763
God dang, its the greenest on the board
Nice how the Greeks get not only the richest provinces but also some of the most fertile ones at the same time..
>>
>>1855246
>archers on hill have same range as archers below
>unit upgrades aren’t visible on battle
>european sabres use katana animations, tetsubo use no dachi animations
>units speaking wrong japanese
>>
>>1856764
More important than fertility are the location of grain ressorces which also improve population growth of each region that either has grain or trades with a settlement that has grain.
>>
File: grain map.png (13 KB, 509x311)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>1856916
There aren't too many provinces that have it, they give a 1.5% growth boost when imported/held
>>
>>1856763
Manpower can be a such a fun feature. Too bad they abandoned it ages ago (in Med 2, iirc)
>>
>>1856746
I've only played 1 vanilla french one and in the process of a stainless steel french one, I say it encourages you to conquer historical foes and gain certain provinces as your specific faction (France's long campaign is to destroy Genoa, England, HRE, get certain European provinces, and get Jerusalem), from the vanilla one it chastises you for not reviving Charlengmenge's empire even if you are short of a province or two. Attila did something similar, As WRE, I essentially unified the dead ERE and expanded all the way to Antioch and shy of Armenia and it was still attributed as a "minor victory" since I didn't bother expanding into the lowlands, Egypt/Libya, or Germany.

>>1857154
Manpower was gone after Rome1 I think; Rome2DEI is the only one that reintroduced it into the series. In M2 in the beginning, most places in the West at least (France in vanilla and SS as an example) you'll maybe get 1-2 recruitment slots and 4ish halfway into a long campaign, with units being unavailable for a certain amount of terms after you recruit them.
>>
>>1857358
Manpower was a background detail in empire. If population in a state grew, it would create a new 'town' which would give you an additional improvement like vineyard/industry/university.
>>
>>1856746
Sorta but not really. Jerusalem is designed to change hands a lot like it did in history, you crusade for Jerusalem basically auto win then get a jihad called on you and basically auto lose. You can take it as early or late as you want and it doesn't really impact anything even if you manage to keep it.
>>
>>1856695
Medieval II's Kingdoms campaigns are like that, there are narrative type goals for each playable faction. But yeah, grand campaign is a full sandbox without a theme.
>>
>>1855015
too bad I cannot stand Lex.
>>
>>1856764
Thought Gaul and Germania would be higher
>>
File: Heartland.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
The greatest RTW mod.
>>
>>1854407
getting rid of the implied child sacrifice is gay
>>
Hey mods, why are my posts shadowbanned?
>>
>>1858624
They aren't. Take your meds.
>>
>>1858600
why does north africa have a butt
>>
>>1858647
Ugly ass borders. Many such cases in mods.
>>
>>1858665
The only Total War mod I remember that had decent borders was Titanium for Medieval 2
>>
>>1858675
True, that's one of the best maps. The others I think are good are SSHIP's (too bad they hacked many island settlements and kept north Africa ugly, also the mod is slow as balls) and Magyar Mod's.
>>
>>1858679
I'll have to check out Magyar Mod, never heard of that one
>>
>>1858705
I like it, but it's an old mod that hasn't been updated for quite some time. I wish they resurrected it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.