[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: parenting.jpg (161 KB, 1600x1167)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
Can you fellows recommend me a must read book for new parents like how to guide our children so they grow up to be good human beings.
>>
I haven't read it, but "Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids" by Bryan Caplan argues that people overestimate how much they can influence their children's lives.
>>
The Bible.
>>
The Bible
Tao Te Ching
Clarence Thomas - My Grandfather's Son
Laura Ingalls Wilder - Farmer Boy
>>
The Qu'ran
>>
Grimms' Fairy Tales, aka the collection of fairy and folk tales compiled by the Grimm Brothers
Not to read for yourself, to read to your children
It is instrumental to their development that they be told folk tales
>>
>>1457079
man shut the fuck up
>>
most parenting books are scams. your best bet would probably unironically be to wing it and consult with several other parents as issues come up, take their advice with a grain of salt, and come up with your own conclusions. there's never going to be any advice (which isnt SUPER general) which will fit for everyone so youll need to think critically about it regardless, at which point youre basically just reading an entire book about one parent's opinion, at which point you may as well just talk to other parents directly

sorry i cant provide you with an actual recommendation
>>
>>1457085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmDGWv9gRk
>>
>>1457097
yeah pretty much what i was getting at
>>
>>1457084
folk tales are core to good civilizations
>>
>>1457111
no they are not. everything you teach a child via folk tales can be taught without folk tales. stop it with this "i've figured out civilization" crap
>>
>>1457162
pseud
>>
>>1457233
lol? you're the one saying he knows definitively what is core to a good civilization. methinks youre projecting just a bit
>>
>>1457079
>>1457111
>>1457162

Kids need to know folk tales from their culture so they can understand the context of older books.

But that's not what OP's asking. He wants to know what HE should read to be a good parent. That means reading biographies of functional families like >>1456925

If you're an egghead and want DeEpEsT LoRe, read "The History of Childhood" by Lloyd DeMause, and "Race Life of the Aryan People" by Joseph Widney. These will teach you you the cultural context of your own life -- the kind of world you consider normal, even if you aren't aware of it, and what you even mean when you say "good human beings".

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.