[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2in3mq.png (179 KB, 378x336)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
Here's a scientific question: if I have this heating element, which a coil meant for electric stoves and haters, and instead of applying electricity to it I apply direct heat to both ends, will it conduct the heat efficiently?
Will it become bright, red and incandescent all over if direct heat is applied to both ends, and only to the ends, let's say, with a small gas blow torch?

Of course this is sold everywhere and I can test it on my own. I just bought some of it (1500 W) so I can perform the test myself, but it'll take a while before it's delivered because in order to save money I bought it on-line from a site that's never quick to deliver.

Thank you!
>>
No.

You know electricity isn't applied on just the ends either, right? It basically just contains a wire with very high resistance. The coil is heated throughout from the internal wire.

If you heat it with a blowtorch you're probably just going to melt the ends and break it.
>>
File: COIL-L-058OD-60_1.jpg (40 KB, 458x458)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1456393
Why, thank you!
Now, since I have you here, let me ask a similar question about copper. Let's say I have some meters of coiled cooper tube and apply heat directly to the ends, again let's say I use a blow torch, and on top of the coil itself I place a kettle full of water. Will it boil?
Would the copper conduct the heat efficiently?
>>
>>1456396
That'd work, just don't melt/burn the copper
>>
File: Untitled.png (325 KB, 620x465)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>1456392
>a coil meant for electric stoves and haters
>>
>>1456396
>>1456542
No, it won't.

I dunno, maybe it might finally boil after two hours or something, depending on the size and shape of the coil. But even for copper, I really doubt heat conduction is anywhere near that efficient. When you're cooking stuff on the stove, things get heated unevenly all the time just from being 1 inch or so off-center from the burner. And that's for a pan with a comparatively huge amount of area for the heat to flow through, compared to a tiny cross-section of the copper coil.

Also remember that materials which conduct heat faster also lose heat faster as well. The whole length of the coil is constantly and efficiently venting heat, even as it's being heated at the ends.

My guess is that the ends get very hot and the middle will be slightly warmer than body temperature.
>>
>>1456591
>constantly and efficiently venting heat
Yeah, mostly to the kettle of water on top of it
>>
>>1456396
This should be extremely easy to turn into a practical test.
>>
>>1456392
>if I have this heating element

That heating element is unbalanced. Was it made in China? You can see that one part is yellow hot because the spacer seems to be broken, thus that section has the heating elements too close to each other. There should be an even spacing for the entire element. Uneven heating is also bad in cooking.

>I apply direct heat to both ends, will it conduct the heat efficiently?
No. It is not a heat pipe. It is a ceramic insulator around a nichrome heating wire. That wire gets hot along its whole length.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.