[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 81k4xzo++EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (290 KB, 1500x1011)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
How can I get my MSI B650 Tomahawk to interface with my Sony Xperia 5 III through the back USB C? I know the cable itself works.

-When I plug in the phone, I hear the "device connected" sound, and I see connection options on my phone.
-I can plug in a controller, and it works
-I tried installing the latest chipset drivers

Despite this, I can't actually tether or transfer files from my phone. I don't even see a charging indication

I plugged my phone in the front with an A to C cable. I can see it charging there, but I still can't tether or transfer files.

I do see my phone show up with a yellow triangle under device manager, but Windows can't find any relevant drivers. I can't find anything through Google (Well, Google does show one thing, but I don't know if it's legit), and googling the VID and PID doesn't help

In tether mode, I see a generic USB device with a yellow triangle that's the same deal

What's my next move?
>>
OP here. Since I made the post, I have discovered that charging works on a live Linux USB and even the goddamn UEFI. File transfer and tethering works in Linux as well.
>>
Enable 'Developer options' (look up how to do that)
Go to 'Default USB configuration'
Select 'Transferring files'
>>
>>1457485
Didn't help, unfortunately.

Here's something else I tried:
-Booted PC to UEFI
-Plugged phone in via the C-to-C cable that goes in the back
-Ensured mode was set to file transfer
-Charging light was on
-Booted to Windows. Charging light disappeared.
-Set mode to File transfer (again)
-Noticed there was a notification for "installing software" tap it
-Two things instantly show up in Explorer. One of them was the model number of my phone, the other was presumably some software for Xperia transfer or something
-Charging light is back too
-MTP "folder" is empty
-Disconnect and reconnect
-Back to square one

At this point this is definitely a Windows/driver thing. My last motherboard didn't have this problem. That said, I'll be damned if I'll have to reinstall Windows just for this.

Even more puzzling, if I switch the USB mode to MIDI, then "no data transfer", I get the "install software" popup on my phone. I tap it, and I can see things show up in Explorer. And I can access the phone's storage from Windows! But if I then unplug and replug, I'm back to square one, kinda?
>>
Bluetooth transfer your stuff.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.