[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: C4.jpg (893 KB, 2320x1736)
893 KB
893 KB JPG
I originally tried to post the questions on LocalLLaMA on reddit, but I have severe communication difficulties and almost never post or respond, so my article was automatically deleted the moment I sent it, so sad.
Just trying my luck and hoping someone here can help me... or just watching and hoping I overload the wires and burn down the entire apartment. This is Fine.
I don't understand English, and I'm so lazy that I only use Google Translate for this article. My incoherent articles will probably be as painful as torture for you to read.

Background:
The top floor of a small apartment in Germany (I heard it seemed to have been renovated in 2005) will turn into an oven when exposed to direct sunlight in the summer.
I have absolutely no experience or knowledge in assembling computers, and such a haphazard upgrade method means that even if I am willing to pay, no regular computer store is willing to help me assemble and upgrade it. (No, I have no friend, and my family doesn't understand this, so there's really no one who can help me upgrade and assemble my computer.)
I don't train LLM, I just want to use Q8 or 8bpw 103B (and above) model and run the unquantized original llama3 70B in 10K or 12K contexts, only for ERP and RP. Yes, pathetic, I know.
For reference, I have attached photos of the transformer box and a sketch of the approximate location of the sockets.

[The article is quite long so I will post it in sections.]
>>
Current computer equipment:
CHA: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF, 8x 3.0 GHz, 16xE, 36MB L3 Cache
MBO: ASUS ProArt Z790 CREATOR WIFI DDR5
GPU: (2X) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, 24GB (Gigabyte Windforce V2)
PNY NVIDIA RTX A6000, 48GB
RAM: 128GB (4x 32GB) DDR5 Corsair Vengeance LPX (13th Gen DDR5-4800 / Ryzen 7000 DDR5-4000)
SSD: 4TB Samsung 870 EVO, SATA3 (MZ-77E4T0B/EU)
4TB WD Black SN850X, M.2 PCIe 4.0 (WDS400T2X0E)
2TB Samsung 990 Pro, M.2 PCIe 4.0 (MZ-V9P2T0BW)
PSU: 1500W-Corsair HX Series hx1500i 2023, 80Plus Platinum
FAN: be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
There are three small fans (140mm) on the front of the case, three on the top, and one on the back, all without RGB
As a reference for power consumption, here is the model number of the screen: SAMSUNG Odyssey Neo G8 32 Zoll
>>
The first is the ideal upgrade plan:
I want to switch to ASUS Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7960X, 256GB (4x64) RDIMM ECC DDR5-4800, 2000W Super Flower Leadex4x, and add two more A6000.

Then my question is...

Can a single outlet use 2000W without tripping my fuse?
Is there any way to use two sockets with a single PSU?
Is a 2000W power supply enough, or am I better off buying another 1500W and connecting the two PSUs together?
If I must use two power supplies, how do I connect them?
I still have to turn on the 1100W air conditioner in the summer. Will it trip my fuse if I use it with my computer at the same time?
In addition, if I use a microwave oven (900W) to heat dinner, the apartment will definitely burn, right?
Can the cooling fan for the CPU be used directly, or will the size be inappropriate?
If the CPU cooling fan must be replaced, do you have any recommendations?
Will the motherboard fit into my current case?
Is there a case that can hold all this stuff?
If I really must use a mining rack, is there any way to prevent dust so that I don't have to clean it every week? (or month... I'm lazy, I don't do the cleaning.)
Do I have to reinstall Windows if I upgrade my CPU and motherboard?
Can I stay in Win10 after this upgrade? (I hate Win11. I used it on my laptop. I hate the new interface and find it very difficult to use.)
If I have to upgrade to WIN11, can it run oweekobabooga, koboldcpp, and SillyTavern smoothly?
Can a useless waste like me, with no experience or knowledge, successfully connect all the wires of the computer to the right places without burning them...?
>>
Alternative simple upgrade solution:
Use the EGPU to connect an additional one or, preferably, two A6000s via Thunderbolt 4. (I would probably buy an additional power supply if it doesn't come with the included one.)

The problem with this simple solution is...

Which EGPU is better and can support A6000?
When the VRAM is larger than the RAM, can I still use oobabooga to open the unquantized llama3 70B or use koboldcpp to open something like the WizardLM-2-8x22B-Beige Q8 GGUF? Or will it exceed the RAM memory and cause a crash?
Will this method make the response very slow? (Currently, the 103B model with 6.8bpw will wait for about 90~100 seconds when the 10K context is full, and then my patience limit is three minutes.)
Can I use one 750W PSU to power two A6000s with an EGPU like ADT-Link UT3G that requires an additional PSU?
Thank you for your patience in reading this article, and I would like to express my deeper gratitude to those who left comments.
>>
>>1475106
i also have limited experience with updating computers, so everything i say here is based purely on my computing and electronics knowledge.

Your outlet should be able to support 2000W - from my googling Germany uses 230V 16A, which means you have 230 * 16 = 3680W maximum. I'd only go as high as 2500-3000 due to the risks of melting the plastic around the conductors, so 2000W should be fine.
There isn't much point in using multiple outlets (even if you didn't have enough wattage from one) since nearby sockets are usually connected in the same circuit to the same breaker. Every breaker "area" (the ones in the second column of your image) will connect to the same thing and the circuit breaker will trip if you exceed the 16A (3680W).
I don't want to tell you if 2000W is enough, you'll have to sum up the wattage of all of your parts and check yourself.
You could use two power supplies, but once again, each area is still capped to a certain wattage.
If your AC is in the same area as your computer, I'd be wary of running it often while your PC is at a high load as that'd reach 3000W or so which could cause damage to your outlets or the actual wires. Microwave as well is a no-go.
Keep in mind though, any damage that could be caused could only happen if the wattage is just under the fuse limit for extended periods of time (weeks, months). Turning them all on and setting them to max will just trip your breaker, so you don't need to worry unless you're planning on keeping them on for a while, or 24/7.
The cooler page https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1525 says it supports TR4 but your CPU is supposedly an sTR5 so you'll probably need a mount or something if you want to use it. https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/ecosystem/threadripper-cooling-solutions.html lists some other coolers that you could try.
I can't tell you whether or not it'd fit, you'll have to see if anyone's used it before or try pcpartpicker.
continued
>>
>>1475269
continued
Google suggests Thermaltake Core W200 or Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 if you're looking for bigger cases.
You shouldn't need to re-install windows, but I'd recommend backing up your PC, and flashing a Windows 10 installer to a USB stick before putting your new parts in, just in case there's some missing drivers and your computer stops working.
Everything that worked on Win10 should work on Win11.
I'm not clued up on GPUs nowadays but google suggests the Razer Core X for an A6000 eGPU enclosure. I'd just search "eGPU enclosure <your gpu>"
I also don't know much about LLMs but so long as you have enough RAM i don't think having more VRAM should affect anything. I can't imagine why it would need to load a copy of the VRAM it wants to write to RAM.
Assuming you're only upgrading your parts (not lowering the no. of cores or GB of RAM) it should only get faster, but once again IDK how llama and those things work.
An eGPU is usually slower than an integrated one, but for LLMs i don't think it would be anything major.
If the A6000 uses up to 300W, two would be 600W and i'm sure the eGPU would use a lot as well. I'd recommend something more than 750 (possibly 1000 or more), or potentially two PSUs

Once again, I don't know much about PC assembly and such so don't blindly trust anything I say. I'd recommend asking a PC shop or maybe a more enterprise-based company (i don't think many PC stores have even touched a threadripper) for assembly or advice. You could maybe join a PC parts discord or something, too, you'll find a bunch of nerds there that would love to help. I'd also suggest posting (a smaller version of) this at >>>/g/hsg or >>>/g/pcbg since you'll probably have your best luck there. Good luck anon.
>>
>>1475269
>>1475270
Thank you very much for your advice.
I will check out these pages and try these forums.
>>
>>1475104
>no regular computer store is willing to help me assemble and upgrade it.
Have you tried a place that repairs computers? Typically PC repair stores can help with PC assembly and diagnose if any of your components are bad.
>>
>>1475328
Yes, I wrote e-mails to inquire about all nearby stores that provide door-to-door repair services, and they all refused.
It seems that the way I mixed the installation of 4090 and A6000 prevented regular stores from accepting this case.
So sad.
>>
>>1475106
>Can a single outlet use 2000W without tripping my fuse?
yes
>Is a 2000W power supply enough
should be, yes
>microwave, AC
try not to run these two at the same time. either use the AC, or use the microwave
>Will the motherboard fit into my current case?
your motherboard is apparently 305mm x 267mm (CEB format)
your case supports " E-ATX, EE-ATX, SSI-CEB, SSI-EEB, ATX, micro-ATX, and mini-ITX"
so should be fine
>>1475106
>Can the cooling fan for the CPU be used directly
maybe there is a chance the cooler could be useful with some 2500rpm fans, but i wouldnt do it, get some AIO Cooler
>Do I have to reinstall Windows if I upgrade my CPU and motherboard?
not necessarily, but i would do it. and yes you can stick with Windows10 (LTSC 'iot' supported until 2030)

>>1475477
dude just look for an add on local facebook saying "i installl/repair computers", pay that guy $100, and he will check this out for you. if you can afford these parts, you can afford that too. email is never convincing just call some guy and ask him or meet him in person.
>>
>>1475490
>call some guy and ask him or meet him in person
It's... very difficult, but if necessary... I'll try it before I mess with the wiring...
I don’t use Facebook either, so I don’t know the ecology there.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and give me advice.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.