[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have my own little server + website and it started timing out, like it was under a bot attack or something.
Nothing worked until I reset the modem.
Why did this fix the issue? What was truly going on? In the log I only saw some bots from Singapore checking if I have a phpbb3 forum.
>>
>>1477124
>like it was under a bot attack or something
it didn't even have to be an attack, maybe the heavy scanning alone caused that
try changing port the webserver is running on and set up rate limiting
ultimately with home connection your options are limited
>>
>>1477286
Why did it get fixed when I resetted modem + router
>>
>>1477124
>>1477304
Maybe resetting the modem gave you a new IP address, which halted the intense scan that brought your site down? Cheap residential Internet very often uses dynamic IP addresses that change with each boot of the modem.
>>
>>1477308
I checked, it didant give me a new IP even though mine should be dynamic
>>
>>1477348
No idea then. You've probably noted down the time of the reset; maybe you can look for clues in the server logs / system journal from around that time?
>>
>>1477124
Memory leak in the firmware of your router, which eventually results in it being unable to create new connection sockets for incoming requests.
You could try a firmware upgrade, or a nightly reboot, or just switch to something more robust.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.