[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2024-07.23_383.jpg (100 KB, 1831x861)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
So I've been hacked because I downloaded old and new FitGirlRepack (yes I made sure it was the right site) games and fucked up somewhere along the way. Lesson learned.

What steps should I take apart from the ones I already have? Attackers took and disabled/deleted my Microsoft account as confirmed by Microsoft. I regained access to EA and Steam and working on recovery for Microsoft. Can't find any other accounts that have been breached. I am changing all passwords and have reset my machine. But I have a concern or rather some hope the damage isn't extensive:

They seemed to have only attacked accounts that were signed into my Win10 machine not via browser (Brave/Chrome). What are the odds I get continued raping later on via other avenues affecting log-ins found via browser? The first account email change/theft was 7/21. So they've at least has a full 24 hours to fuck me. Ironically I ran a full MalwareByte scan and it came up clean 7/22.

Lastly, how can I make sure my machine is actually clean? Is a simple reset all that's needed?
>>
Wipe the existing operating system and do a fresh install. I would not recommend creating a bootable media with the compromised system. Change every password for every account you care about. Do not accidentally boot into the compromised system with the bootable media attached, perhaps elaborate malware could compromise it too.
>>
>>1477423
>>1477423
>I would not recommend creating a bootable media
By that do you mean not recommending a fresh install with installation coming from the machine? As in do a fresh install via USB/disc instead? My jargon is rusty.
Or are you referring to a non-nuclear option where some files are saved? I'm nuking my C (windows) and D (programs/games). I have an external (E) I disconnected. Should I nuke that too? See.. I got maybe 8TB of films/movies in (E).
>>
>>1477427
Don't create the bootable USB using the compromised computer, use a different computer.
Video/audio/pictures basically can't infect you obviously. If the malware put malicious non-media files in there it's not something that should run automatically on the freshly installed system so you can delete them if you spot any. If you have a backup of the movie folder, you can copy everything over for peace of mind.
>>
>>1477436
You are very much appreciated, anon. Thank you. One last placation of anxiety please: Since USB reboot from potentially infected origin is no go, reboot via Windows build in recovery is just as bad despite no internet connectivity? I'm afraid, anon.
>>
>>1477439
First you figure out how to get into the BIOS. When you turn on the computer, the motherboard logo will appear and during that short window of time you can press DEL or something to access the BIOS menu, try it out or look up how to do it for your specific motherboard.
Once you have that figured out, turn off the computer and stick the bootable USB in, then turn it on and make sure you get into the BIOS since if you miss it will boot into your compromised Windows.
Next you'll want to find the boot priority menu and make the bootable USB priority #1 so it boots first, then you can install Windows normally.
>>
>>1477443
I can sleep easy tonight knowing I have a game plan tomorrow. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>1477436
>Video/audio/pictures basically can't infect you obviously
Well...
>>
>>1477583
I mean, yeah. Such exploits are extremely rare and not something random Russian skids are gonna have access to, mostly only CIA and Mossad. Whenever one is revealed it's a huge deal and is usually patched the same day.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.