[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Help with chemistry homework. Equilibrium problem

Question:
For the equilibrium
CO(g) + H2O(g) CO2(g) + H2(g)
the equilibrium constant is 4.0 at 800 K. In an experiment, 1.0 mol of carbon monoxide, 2.0 mol of water vapor, 3.0 mol of carbon dioxide and 4.0 mol of hydrogen gas were introduced into an empty container with a volume of 20.0 dm3 Calculate the concentration of carbon dioxide in the container since equilibrium has been established at 800 K.

I have put up a ICE table and gotten the starting concentrations
[CO]i=0,05
[H2O]i=0,1
[CO2]i=0,15
[H2]i=0,20

I tried putting the concentrations at equilibrium C(eq) as
[CO]=0,05-x
[H2O]=0,10-x
[CO2]=0,15+x
[H2]=0,20+x

Since thats how the equilibrium was written. The equilibrium constant K=4 so:
4,0=(0,15+x)(0,20+x)/(0,05-x)(0,10-x)
And got that x1= 0,3268 x2= - 0,0108
The negative i cant use (?) and the positive one is too big to subtract from my starting concentrations. And when adding the x1 into the equilibrium equation i get K=9,74 so its wrong anyway.

Is there something im missing in equilibrium/acid base reactions/gas reactions/how to work with concentration when different amount of substance of each component is added?
>>
>>1488849
initially, the ratio [CO2][H2]÷[CO][H2O] is 6, which is greater than 4.
therefore, the reaction will go from right to left to reach the equilibrium
you can start over and switch the -x's and the +x's, or you can simply use the negative solution x2 = -0.0108

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.