[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1698424661464933.jpg (85 KB, 831x1000)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 to use as a glorified DAP and pdf/ebook reader (because I had one back in the day and remember liking it), but the firmware is so old that I can't even sign into the google play store to download the necessary apps, nor will the phone allow me to install loose apks despite turning the option on in the settings.

I've read a little about custom recoveries and roms, but the problem is that the tutorials I found on youtube were all made by indians being incredibly vague and linking sketchy websites in the description.

So I was wondering if there are any retard-proof instructions on how to get this old ass phone working as a digital audio player and ebook reader.
>>
>>1490034
The problem with custom roms is the battery life is generally worse than with a stock rom.
Try installing fdroid https://f-droid.org/en/ and install the aurora store. I suggest not using your google account if you can get aurora to work. If this doesn't work you can try looking for older versions of the apps that you want that are compatible up to Sdk23 (Android 6, Marshmallow)
>>
>>1490040
Thank you so much, man. This phone has been bothering me for a week, and now I got it working with f-droid and aurora.
>>
File: M.png (93 KB, 512x512)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>1490044
No problem. Good luck!
>>
>>1490034
damn they don't really make phones like the S5 anymore, I still have mine from several years ago that I use pretty much only for watching music videos

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.