[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why was there so much esoteric stuff in this series?

They even referenced Crowley
>>
>>38389547
The japanese are fascinated by european and western mysticism as a whole.

/thread
>>
>>38389547
>They even referenced Crowley
That's nothing, the modern game references every mythos you could think of. You could make Lucifer battle Saturn and Athena battle Odin. You could make Ametarasu battle a loli dressed as a rabbit.
They even have Sophia as bossmonster.
>>
>>38389547
The East never had a tradition of censoring other mythologies and religions as evil and Satanic so they tend to both see them as novelties and have a higher knowledge of them than Christian societies in the West.
Kazuki Takahashi in particular liked foreign mythos and studied it more, and the animation studios that adapted the manga decided to run with that when making the filler arcs and sequels(the Seal of Orichalcos shit wasn't in the manga).

That said most of the representations were pretty superficial, the Egyptian mythos was mostly homebrew shit with some real God names and symbols sprinkled in.
>>
It is indeed very based for introducting kids to all sorts of esoteric stuff. Also interesting for me to learn that in the Japanese original, "being sent to the shadow realm" is literally just dying, and the characters threaten each others with guns & other deadly weapons.
>>
>>38389603
Reading the manga as a kid after watching the dub about card games was wild. I'm pretty sure he set at least 2 dudes on fire and turned another three retarded in the first volume alone.
>>
>>38389547
The EVEN referenced crowley? Oh my!
Tell me why the fuck is this board riddled with NLP bullshit threads?
>>
>>38389608
>>38389603
the original yugioh manga was created as an horror manga, one of the many games was "yugioh card game " (wizards and monsters), which featured in fights against Kaiba -who had green hair-
the final battle in the manga isn't even duel monsters, it's a tabletop RPG against bakura. the W.W game was so popular the author decided to retcon the story and make the yugioh we all know.
>some stuff the anime censored: bandit keith played russian roulette, marik's tattoo are actually scarifications, the mute mime had killed his parents, pegasus stabs out his eye to get the millenium eye

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.